IGNORED

8-Bit Software: A Preservation Effort

SoulBuster

Principles of Economics (1979)(Atari)(US)[cassette]

The Dorsett Educational system uses the Master Cartridge in conjunction with educational tapes that include vocal/audio instruction. Since this seems to be more of a "streaming" system rather than a "load-the-program-and-run" type system, I decided to rate the overall experience of each recording I made (yes, I took each lesson).

Each WAV* contains 2 lessons and I rate them separately. I rate each lesson from 6.0 to 10.0, 10.0 being the best. Anything lower and it is not a good enough experience to be usable.

1. .1 point is taken off for each screen that has visual anomalies on it to a max of 1 whole point, if it continues throughout but is not massive.
  2. .5 points are taken off if the lesson stops in the middle of a vocal/audio part of the lesson for up to 5 times (2.5 total pts).  Any more and it is not a good enough experience to be usable.
  3. .5 points are taken off if one question/answer cannot be visually recognized. Any more than one and it is not a good enough experience to be usable.
  4. Any rating below 6.0 gets recorded and reviewed again.

I have embedded the grading into the name of the WAV.  A is for the first lesson and B is for the second. Principles of Economics is represented below:
Principles of Economics Cassette A Side 1 (A=9.9,B=9.8)
Principles of Economics Cassette A Side 2 (A=9.8,B=10)
Principles of Economics Cassette B Side 1 (A=9.3,B=9.5)
Principles of Economics Cassette B Side 2 (A=9.9,B=9.9)
Principles of Economics Cassette C Side 1 (A=8.0,B=9.0)
Principles of Economics Cassette C Side 2 (A=9.9,B=9.9)
Principles of Economics Cassette D Side 1 (A=8.0,B=9.0)[spliced] - A splice means each lesson is from different recordings, but work as a complete cassette side.
Principles of Economics Cassette D Side 2 (A=8.5,B=9.3)

*Since CAS cannot carry the vocal/audio portion of the recordings, no CAS files are included.

You need all 5 zips for a complete set

Principles of Economics Cassette A.zip

Principles of Economics Cassette B.zip

Principles of Economics Cassette C.zip

Principles of Economics Cassette D.zip

Principles of Economics All Other Assets.zip

Principles of Economics Warranty.pdf

Principles of Economics Catalog Rev. 3.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.6467a736b8cd022b5dcc0e95e27261ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45f115d1ef310e6b2feeade5ac77237f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66466b7de1ace9685f86810c03e15db2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2bf3b5833625a622e1ef96816a2bc78e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.06a5b9bfb8376ac6869f2e1fc3660a3a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47793828aac961e766193702d2fd98ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb9a95564072eb0ceef0aafc4c532ab9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6bb269fcee5a4017b8601147b6186031.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Principles of Economics (1979)(Atari)(US)[cassette]

I believe that these huge files are beyond the size which the forum's software can handle reliably.

A few hours ago I downloaded Basic Electricity and had to do it three times to yield a good file. The two first times the end was truncated in different places.

This time I already failed twice with the same problem. Please split the file in half.

18 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

I believe that these huge files are beyond the size which the forum's software can handle reliably.

A few hours ago I downloaded Basic Electricity and had to do it three times to yield a good file. The two first times the end was truncated in different places.

This time I already failed twice with the same problem. Please split the file in half.

I just downloaded it on the first try, no problems.  I have a 1 gig cable internet connection and it took about a minute.  What is yours?  Slower might be worse.  

2 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

I just downloaded it on the first try, no problems.  I have a 1 gig cable internet connection and it took about a minute.  What is yours?  Slower might be worse.  

I only have 50 MBit but never had any trouble before, neither here on Atari Age, nor with files of several dozens GB from archive.org.

My ETA was some eight or nine minutes and the downloads did NOT end in an error, only the files were truncated. Perhaps the forum has a time limit for downloads and terminates them if it takes longer.

But as you wrote:

Let's wait for tomorrow. I will also try from my office which has 200 MBit.

9 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

I only have 50 MBit but never had any trouble before, neither here on Atari Age, nor with files of several dozens GB from archive.org.

My ETA was some eight or nine minutes and the downloads did NOT end in an error, only the files were truncated. Perhaps the forum has a time limit for downloads and terminates them if it takes longer.

But as you wrote:

Let's wait for tomorrow. I will also try from my office which has 200 MBit.

question how to know truncated if no error? will it error when windows opens it or? Mine did not error on download or windows open, have not converted yet though

14 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

will it error when windows opens it or?

I use 7zip to extract the files. Most of the time it immediately tells me that the file is truncated as soon as I open it. 

But when I try to extract any of the files which are at or behind the cut-off point, it always throws an error. 

My comment re. no error meant the downloading browser. 

5 hours ago, firebottle said:

Those smiling faces on the box artwork are funny/ironic considering how worthless money is 40+ years later.

Does anybody really want to know how "economics" works now?

The point of making these recordings is to archive them, not to use for current day lessons.  Although the Basic Electricity was informative.

These are still great, very foundational. Though, folks really have no clue what fractional banking is today, or the difference between currency and money.

The system employed by the Federal reserve (which is not Federal, it's just a name just like Federal Express), leaves no way to repay debt since it does not print money to cover that interest or debt. This kind of thing is only possible when people do not know or understand. I sure don't see any of it in schools now, heck, reading. writing, math... that's not even considered the most important focus. Might as well re visit this stuff as a retro hobby so our kids have some slight chance to be educated in some small way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

These are still great, very foundational. Though, folks really have no clue what fractional banking is today, or the difference between currency and money.

The system employed by the Federal reserve (which is not Federal, it's just a name just like Federal Express), leaves no way to repay debt since it does not print money to cover that interest or debt. This kind of thing is only possible when people do not know or understand. I sure don't see any of it in schools now, heck, reading. writing, math... that's not even considered the most important focus. Might as well re visit this stuff as a retro hobby so our kids have some slight chance to be educated in some small way.

Yea, I like how they are geared for repetition to drill it in your head from memory.  It made it easier to review them repetitively to find the best ones.

• Like 1

Analog Issue #40 (Disk 1 & 2 Sourced from A8SP)

1. GRAPHICE.LST is enter into the Graphics E program from issue #21 for double the image size.
  2. CLASH.BAS creates a file or a cassette for The Clash of Kings game. The resulting CAS does not load. I cannot figure out why. This means there is not ATR for it either.  The AUTORUN.SYS that is created works though. It is on the Additional disk as CLASH.OBJ.KING1.M65, KINGEQU.M65, KING.DAT and KING2.M65 are the assembly listing.  They compile into a complete and working game.
  3. MOUSER.M65 is saved on disk 2 of Analog, but it is in Text format not Mac/65 format.  I save a Mac/65 version to the Additional disk. It does compile.
  4. ALPHA1.LST and ALPHA2.LST does not allow alpha characters to be typed, only numeric characters.  Helps with Data Entry.
  5. SLIDESHO.BAS creates a file or a cassette. A CAS and and ATR from that CAS are included. No further testing done as It takes some Koala pics, none handy.

ANALOG Computing #40 (1986-03)(ANALOG Magazine Corp.)(US)[disk].zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2