IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

That's son.of.sun's standard pricing model.  They'll have the machine available, but really do want to charge the earth for it.

There are a couple of other Egyptian sellers who are fairly reasonably priced.  Frankly, I'd have no problem with buying from them, but they tend to not have anything I want at a price I'm willing to pay by the time shipping is factored in.

Bizarre... All the systems I've bought had cheaper shipping cost than from any european nations. Most of the time I pay about half of what I'd have to if I bought it from France, Germany or the UK with many systems costing $100 to $150 shipping included. UK is the worst presently price wise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:
14 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

It may be just a place holder. Some sellers will jack up the price when they're out of stock instead of removing the listing. Save a bit of time when they get new stock.

That's son.of.sun's standard pricing model.  They'll have the machine available, but really do want to charge the earth for it.

Yeah, I've seen place holder practice used before (eg you'll see something on there for £30k or something temporarily) and/or they'll have a "make an offer" option. But yes in the case of this Eyptian seller it appears that is the genuine listing asking price. Stupid really as it will just never sell. Same as they seller above selling the 800 for £799. It'll just never sell.

I've bought off one Cairo based seller a few times where there were problems with the condition, (mainly stating keys worked when they didn't). However I managed to be compensated. I probably wouldn't deal with them again for that reason (too much potential hassle) - although the A8s I purchased were very reasonably priced and shipping was lighting fast - albeit £30 odd to the UK.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

But yes in the case of this Eyptian seller it appears that is the genuine listing asking price. Stupid really as it will just never sell. Same as they seller above selling the 800 for £799. It'll just never sell.

Something that continues to boggle my mind is how, in this day and age of being able to easily comparison-shop multiple sellers and outlets for the best pricing on just about any item you can conceive of, people still hope that someone with more money than sense will come by and pay whatever ridiculous price they're asking for something.

Granted, there is no shortage of fools in the world, but even fools are capable of learning to buy at a lower price.

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I've been thinking for some time of taking the vexatious requester route with WATA and just blindly sending them mundane crap with letters asking for valuations on said items.

That box of tangled VGA KVM cables that I'll never use again?  Gotta know what it's worth.  And the Dell mouse at the bottom probably doubles its value!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

£999 for a "mint" Atari 800!!  :-o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155237599705?

Quote's  "This has a lot of accessories, so please read everything and check out all of the photos   and "Mint condition computer with a big bundle of accessories"

In reality this equates to 4 x carts and a touch tablet, some cabling. an aftermarket psu and just a full compliment of RAM/O/S modules!  

Carts aren't exactly valuable:  

- Atari Artist -
- Basic -
- Computer Chess -
- Star Raiders -

ooo and "original instructions in a folder";)

I reckon asking up to a third of the asking price tops would be realistic given today's prices.

What really amuses me is that the seller has taken time to pop a video on the listing which lasts all of 6 seconds - of it in a box quickly being covered! :lolblue: If I was stating it was mint I think I'd proably show as much of it as possible to illustrate the absence of anything like case cracks, etc.

I am tempted to message and ask why the video is so short and if the casing has any cracks. If I was parting with £999 or even anything close to it I'd wanna be assured it is truly in mint condition! :D

Edited by Beeblebrox

Let him dream :) , don't forget , it's "VERY RARE" and MINT, even though I could see a couple of marks on the bottom

and he doesn't show the sides at all, more interested in showing pictures of a tatty box

What's funny is there's another listing right below this one currently at £205 but with an 810 drive,

1029 printer, BASIC, a Multi-Cart, joystick and all power supplies, now that's more like it.

Even sounds like the 810 only needs a clean :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225228394592?

Edited by TGB1718
  • Like 1

The only mint thing about it is that you would need to pass by the Royal Mint to pick up the cash to afford it.

Admittedly, although he has put 999.00 as the price he does say reasonable offered considered, the big question is what does he think in reasonable. Considering the content is very light on value, I reckon 200.00 would be pushing it as the drawing pad looks like Wolverine had a tic tac toe session with his claws on it. And as Beeble says, a 6 sec video???  I'm betting that if the shipping box is beat up that the machine isn't as mint as made out.

At a time when most people have LESS expendable income, it's just maddening to think people will hope others will pay lottery prices for stuff...

As said, let him dream..

• Haha 1

@TGB1718 

35 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Maybe we should send him a link to this forum so he can get a reality check :)

Thought had crossed my mind. I'd probably either be ignored or they'd go on a rant.

Interestingly I'd thought some more on their listing. They say in the listing text they are open to reasonable offers as Mclaneinc mentioned. However they have not enabled the "make an offer" button on the listings. Perhaps they are hedging their bets by putting it on for a stupidly high price, where then they hope some individuals will message them and offer say half - which is still unrealistic nonetheless - but they make a ton of cash out of it.

Their concept of a lot of accessories still makes me chuckle.:D