IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

I am crazy... I always wanted to buy 1200XL, but they are available in USA. I live in EU. So, transatlantic shipping, import taxes. I bought one on ebay and DHL.DE lost it. So I bought second one. Then, first one returned to sender and I payed shipping cost again... and now I have two 1200XL.

And yes, I am crazy. Here is my atari stuff:

http://www.pumidas.com/kolekcija/tag/atari/

And other computers are too:

http://www.pumidas.com/kolekcija/

• Like 5

Some people on eBay are beyond crazy.... they are certifiably insane....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153829555672

Texas Peripherals floppy drive (as used in TRS-80 Model III for instance). $780 marked down from $1000 !

It had make an offer, so I sent him an offer for $35.00 ?  He rejected my offer ? I haven't replied back yet asking if the drive is full of the crack he's smoking ?

I've seen some attempts at gouging.... but this one might take the cake.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

Some people on eBay are beyond crazy.... they are certifiably insane....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153829555672

Texas Peripherals floppy drive (as used in TRS-80 Model III for instance). $780 marked down from $1000 !

It had make an offer, so I sent him an offer for $35.00 ?  He rejected my offer ? I haven't replied back yet asking if the drive is full of the crack he's smoking ?

I've seen some attempts at gouging.... but this one might take the cake.

Absolutely. I sent one seller a, you got to be kidding that your shipping charges are higher than the actual item message. This is rediculous.

I had another eBay seller that I missed the end of his auction.... he relisted the item at around 2X the price.  I messaged him and he indicated he looked at others and priced it accordingly.  I asked him what made him think it it didn't sell the first time at $23 (IIRC), what would make it sell at $48 (IIRC).  He said he would accept an offer from me.  I told him I would not bother as he would not accept my offer and that I was already eyeing another one at about the same price as the one that didn't sell from him.

eBay should change their slogan to 'where dreams of gold are born'. 

Deals pop up, just not as often as they used to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not brand new anymore, since the seller admitted opening the box and testing it. Possibly if it had been certified factory sealed, it might have been worth that price to someone (not me). But the fact that it is not, makes it worth no more than an old unit in excellent condition with a nice box.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Exactly, I wonder how many relists this item will go through...

Probably as many as this :) , been relisted so many times

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294875268333?hash=item44a7ef84ed:g:EcoAAOSwVidh1YOt

This looks like much better value

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265656783123?hash=item3dda60d113:g:qSYAAOSw9WxiYqbK

The last one should increase the price, he had the totally rare Amiga 800XL :)

But it's a nice mix of machine, I still would not pay that much simply down to being tight and skint :)

More skint than tight..

Keep thinking of putting my David Dickinson Amiga 500 up (if a machine needed a retrobrite, it's my 500)

But I've got an Action Replay which brings back good hacking memories, so I'll probably not sell it..

I was wondering about the plastic wrap, I often think items might be shrink wrapped, but only recently so.

On the other hand, when I got my 400 (with 410 and Missile Command cart), I paid about £450 (serious money at the time, and also nowadays, to be honest), but with inflation that actually comes to just about 2000€ today, according to: https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1982

Had to sell my VCS, library of carts, and take up a paper round while persuading my parents to sign up for a Hire Purchase agreement to get it, but totally worth it in hind-site. One lesson learned was that I could have saved myself £50 in the post Christmas sales, but I was young and innocent, and really wanted to buy!

37 minutes ago, E474 said:

I was wondering about the plastic wrap, I often think items might be shrink wrapped, but only recently so.

I noticed that too and thought much the same, it may have originally had some sort of plastic bag

but certainly not shrink wrap.

38 minutes ago, E474 said:

Had to sell my VCS, library of carts,

Same here to get my 800, traded my 2600 and carts plus some cash, I think I paid £450 for a 32K 800 with

an early 410 recorder and star Raiders :) , think I paid about another £60 for the extra 16K to take it to 48K.

I think at the time, seeing Star Raiders was a jaw dropping experience, and prompted my sell, sell, to buy response. Unfortunately, by the time I had everything in place, Star Raiders was sold out everywhere locally, so it was Missile Command as that was the best of the rest. 

Kids today, ...

14 hours ago, E474 said:

I think at the time, seeing Star Raiders was a jaw dropping experience, and prompted my sell, sell, to buy response.

Yes it was! And still is when you consider history and tech of the time. I've extolled the virtues of this game post and post again over the years. It was one game that won out for staying home to play vs going to the arcade.

I'm still discovering subtleties and tricks for it to this very day.

14 hours ago, E474 said:

Kids today, ...

Well.. It's the garbage media we're feeding them. Take all the shit away and I have no doubt they'll be clear-minded and gain the ability to enjoy games like how we did in the 80's. And enjoy them we did!

• Like 1

I'm sure people on eBay are crazy!  Saw a guy selling his soul on eBay when I first joined...Looked to me like he was only getting about half of the going rate, too.   I think maybe it wasn't all original,  he'd lost the box,  and I'm pretty sure it had a hole in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2