IGNORED

Atari 130XE keyboard rebuild: vintage keycaps on modern switches

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If I understand, the key switch positions are still there and can be used, they are not omitted or tied together, they are just covered over by the large key caps. A standard keyboard with the 3 added keys is possible.

If we could find a position for a 4th extra key, we could sprinkle all four F keys in or etc.

I wonder if the ATARI/INVERSE key Graphic could be combined (as in super imposed) on a key cap.

Yes:

DecentXE-front.png

You can see here the two jumpers on the left to configure Control or Caps, as well as the switch footprint clusters on the top-right for return, caps, break and del.

Changing key functions is a lot more complex than adding extra footprints however, so anything funny with function keys is unfortunately much more complicated.

I hope this clarifies.

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Thankyou,

That does not show the extra key to the right of lower left shift however.

That one doesn’t exist, it was a result of an error ordering/rendering one of the prototype sets. The prod ones have a regular wide left shift. If you look at my photos of the assembled keyboards, you’ll see it’s not there.

Are there any issues with fit for the vintage caps with adapters? I recall a previous post where the caps were slightly raised from stock. It was because of the adapters, I believe. Is this still the case? I'm trying to decide between keeping my stock caps, versus modern caps.

14 minutes ago, Dysphoria said:

Are there any issues with fit for the vintage caps with adapters? I recall a previous post where the caps were slightly raised from stock. It was because of the adapters, I believe. Is this still the case? I'm trying to decide between keeping my stock caps, versus modern caps.

It required a lot of tweaking, but the latest design on low-profile switches is pretty much flush. In terms of height, both vintage and modern caps are equivalent now. In terms of feeling when typing, modern caps on full-height switches are the sh!t. The low-pro + adapter solution is visually the closest to the original (indistinguishable really) but the keys are slightly more wobbly. This is all nitpicking at this point however. I'd go for what's visually most appealing to you.

Oh, one more thing to consider: function keys. With modern, you have to print your own Fn keys, and we're not 100% at a point where we have a good solution. Getting there, but it might require some painting for the end user. More news on this this week-end when I've had the time to print and paint my latest model.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

It required a lot of tweaking, but the latest design on low-profile switches is pretty much flush. In terms of height, both vintage and modern caps are equivalent now. In terms of feeling when typing, modern caps on full-height switches are the sh!t. The low-pro + adapter solution is visually the closest to the original (indistinguishable really) but the keys are slightly more wobbly. This is all nitpicking at this point however. I'd go for what's visually most appealing to you.

You have my vote for a video on your YT channel. 😁

Here's the final prototype of the full JoyKey controller. The production models will have a white enclosure (because it costs me 1/2 the price and it can always be painted, I'll include both black and white stickers):

IMG_0001_4.thumb.JPG.069870517f4f3a198cc8b127a8b0ba36.JPG

There will be a smaller version with just the cursor keys and one fire (where the Pac-Man is on this one).

Do you guys think there should be a lefty version of the smaller model?

(the controller is plugged into the 130XE on this picture, and is taking its power from its joystick port)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XL Freak said:

Through collaboration with @ScreamingAtTheRadio and @_The Doctor__, I have added several options for the inverse key legends. Now you have a stock sized inverse, a stock sized atari logo, a stock sized inverse atari logo, and a full sized version of all of those. six to choose from.

image.thumb.png.cd4b1e62c4184dbc5af6ad890ab663f5.png

enjoy!

jesse

Cool, but everyone and their grandma want the classic Atari logo, not this modern-ish iteration. ;-)

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, venom4728a said:

Is there a big cost difference from using your own original key caps with 3d printed adapters, vs no 3d printed adapters and the new key caps?  That dark grey set above looks very nice!

Venom4728a

It's a difference of about $90 when comparing the same configuration with Kailh switches in both cases.

• Like 1

Function key defaults from OS, are redefinable: Make them what you want! or let the Programs have their way with them.
     [F1] Cursor up          [SHIFT]+[F1] Cursor to upper-left corner (home)
     [F2] Cursor down        [SHIFT]+[F2] Cursor to lower-left corner
     [F3] Cursor left        [SHIFT]+[F3] Cursor to start of physical line
     [F4] Cursor right       [SHIFT]+[F4] Cursor to end of physical line

Control Function key effects, not soft-redefinable, but redefinable by OS changes, RAM OS, etc. as @reifsnyderb has done with 0 left margin etc.
     [CONTROL]+[F1] Keyboard enable/disable (console keys unaffected),     this has been a life saver with Cats and Kids about !!!!!
     [CONTROL]+[F2] Screen DMA (ANTIC) enable/disable      for those BASIC initialization and calculation interludes, warp speed makes life good again.
     [CONTROL]+[F3] Key click sound enable/disable               so we can type without disturbing the wife or baby
     [CONTROL]+[F4] Domestic/International character set toggle        Yeah I think it one can be re assigned to do other things like left margin zero
Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Cool, but everyone and their grandma want the classic Atari logo, not this modern-ish iteration. ;-)

I don't understand. what do you mean "the classic atari logo"? can you provide a pic? thx

9 minutes ago, cbelcher said:

Agree - should be the classic Atari Fuji like the keyboard on the 800!

again, what do you mean? fuji-like? the 800xl has the same inverse key legend as the stock xe keyboards have. a square, cut in half diagonally, filled in top-left, empty bottom-right.  if you can show me, perhaps I can add it as an option. thx!

Edited by XL Freak

28 minutes ago, XL Freak said:

but that's one of the options I'm using! sorry, I don't get it lol. am I misreading the statements? I thot the point was to let me know I left one out 😜

Look at the bottom of the central part of the logo on this screenshot of your mockup, see how it flares out? That's not doing that on the original logo.

image.png.10a76fc3aa00b356f3bab52b4c9ee640.png

image.png.e5b1d5694ff698d00c09d9592ef958f1.png   center shaft is straight not flared, just a quick Idea you can adjust to make it more pleasing.

The diagonal inverse bisect could be rotated a few degrees to get more of the left paddle swoop inverse or

The Fuji could be made slight smaller, centered, and manipulated to give it a better inverse bisect line

My scribble of an idea.

image.png.01908da1852fe6311d9d7e71ee266192.png    more quick scribbling

image.png.c7e7125e619bc808862258e468db10cf.png

Edited by _The Doctor__