IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

We don't have a price yet do we? I'm scratching my head as to how much Atari thinks they can charge for this. Would they go as high as fifty bucks for the fiftieth anniversary? While I think that's a reasonable price tag I don't know if the market would agree given how many triple A massive games are also in that price range.

And part of me thinks it would be awesome if a collector's edition Classic Controller would be released in the same vain as the Atari VCS Classic Controller for this but compatible on Playstation, XBox and Switch.

A man can dream.

14 hours ago, DavidD said:

See, I think it's overpriced, but, again, that's me.  I'm probably going to hold off for a solid $20 sale...

Why do you think it's overpriced? I could understand for your personal preference and I often wait for a sale too but I feel like it's a good price for what they are offering.  Atari Flashback Classics was the same price if I recall correctly and that had little supplemental material and only thing of note was that it had 5200 games. 

This collection has 6 newly developed games and new emulators developed for jaguar and likely some other systems that haven't been emulated much. And some more rare games. This also has extensive supplemental material.  So while I can't fault you wanting to wait for a sale I think it's a solid value. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DavidD said:

See, I think it's overpriced, but, again, that's me.  I'm probably going to hold off for a solid $20 sale...

Personally I find the price quite fair is only because of those Jaguar and Lynx games that are no longer stranded. Not to mention the high price a team like Digital Eclipse deserves. They've never let me down before!

Hype to play Cybermorph and Tempest 2000.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jbrodack said:

Why do you think it's overpriced? I could understand for your personal preference and I often wait for a sale too but I feel like it's a good price for what they are offering.  Atari Flashback Classics was the same price if I recall correctly and that had little supplemental material and only thing of note was that it had 5200 games. 

This collection has 6 newly developed games and new emulators developed for jaguar and likely some other systems that haven't been emulated much. And some more rare games. This also has extensive supplemental material.  So while I can't fault you wanting to wait for a sale I think it's a solid value. 

It's a much better deal than Flashback Classics (as far as new/unusual material goes), but given the large amount of "low interest" 2600 crossover between this and Flashback Classics, $40 seems too much.  $20 always seemed right for Flashback Classics, and $30 seems more reasonable to me for this compilation.  I mean, I'd take a small discounts for already owning AFC and thus already owning a portion of the titles in this collection...

6 hours ago, Astro Rabby said:

Personally I find the price quite fair is only because of those Jaguar and Lynx games that are no longer stranded. Not to mention the high price a team like Digital Eclipse deserves. They've never let me down before!

Hype to play Cybermorph and Tempest 2000.

Hey, I like the content, just find a price a tad much.  For $20-$30 I'd be snagging it in five minutes...

12 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I was able to listen in to a live chat on the Official VCS Discord with Atari's marketing head, David Lowery to discuss the delay on the VCS.  Apparently some last minute bugs have delayed the release. Digital Eclipse are working on a resolution. [...]  

I think the main problem is the ability for the ATARIVCS store to absorb more than 8GB (9GB or 12 I could read) of download per purchase... It is by far the heaviest game in need of disk space. But the second problem is also related to this. When we know that of the 32GB of the eMMC there is only a little more than half of available for games, such a game will simply occupy the remaining half ... It will be necessary to train people who only have the original space to make room on their e-mmc.

7 minutes ago, DavidD said:

It's a much better deal than Flashback Classics (as far as new/unusual material goes), but given the large amount of "low interest" 2600 crossover between this and Flashback Classics, $40 seems too much.  $20 always seemed right for Flashback Classics, and $30 seems more reasonable to me for this compilation.  I mean, I'd take a small discounts for already owning AFC and thus already owning a portion of the titles in this collection...

Hey, I like the content, just find a price a tad much.  For $20-$30 I'd be snagging it in five minutes...

Atari will give VCS users a $10 discount on the title the first 24 hours that it's available in the VCS store, then the price should approach 30 USD ! Do not miss this shooting window !

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

Atari will give VCS users a $10 discount on the title the first 24 hours that it's available in the VCS store, sthen the price should approach 30 USD ! Do not miss this shooting window !

Ah, but I plan to pick it up on a different system.  If they applied that deal to OTHER storefronts...

6 hours ago, RadiATIon said:

I think the main problem is the ability for the ATARIVCS store to absorb more than 8GB (9GB or 12 I could read) of download per purchase... It is by far the heaviest game in need of disk space. But the second problem is also related to this. When we know that of the 32GB of the eMMC there is only a little more than half of available for games, such a game will simply occupy the remaining half ... It will be necessary to train people who only have the original space to make room on their e-mmc.

Does Atari 50 contain everything in Atari Vault 1 + 2?   I would delete those to free up space if necessary

45 minutes ago, zzip said:

Does Atari 50 contain everything in Atari Vault 1 + 2?   I would delete those to free up space if necessary

It depends on personal preference. I got my copy of Atari 50 this morning on XBox Series S, but I also own an Atari VCS along with Vault 1 and 2. 

Vault 1 has a slightly more comprehensive collection of 2600 titles and Vault 2 has many many more 5200 titles. If it were me, unless there is a game or games on Vault 1 you absolutely loved, Id delete vault 1 but absolutely keep vault 2. But again its personal preference.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, DavidD said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. Tempest 2000 alone is easily worth $20 for the hours of gameplay you can get out of it.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mockduck said:

Sadly, the 50th Anniversary Collection has been delayed on the VCS ONLY. No new release date listed. Atari is hosting a Q&A in the VCS Discord at Noon Eastern. Sounds like an issue with the Linux (VCS) version specifically, but I don't have anything secret to share other than that. 

Damn, so I bought this on Steam for my brother and myself, thinking it would be like other releases and have a native Linux build, and was also planning on picking it up for the VCS, but so far I can't get my controller to work on Linux through Steam for this, and so was going to try it on the VCS, but it was delayed.

So I guess the question is, are they planning on releasing a native Linux version (Steam Deck would rock)?  Another question... OpenGL vs Vulkan seems a rather strange choice...

• Confused 1