IGNORED

Games you wish had come out on the 7800

Silver Back

A better version of Double Dragon than what we got on the 2600 would have been nice, maybe some enhanced versions of Pitfall! and other classic 2600 games. Maybe port Miner 2049er. There are also some games like the flight sims that I wish hadn't come out for the 7800 but that's a conversation for another thread...

10 minutes ago, harmonyFM said:

A better version of Double Dragon than what we got on the 2600 would have been nice, maybe some enhanced versions of Pitfall! and other classic 2600 games. Maybe port Miner 2049er. There are also some games like the flight sims that I wish hadn't come out for the 7800 but that's a conversation for another thread...

There is a version of Double Dragon for the 7800. I guess whether it's better or not is debatable but I enjoy the 7800 version far more than the 2600.  There's even graphics hacks of double dragon improving the visuals.  A Pitfall game could've been interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't knock the Atari 7800 Double Dragon.  I prefer it to the NES version; the 7800 conversion plays closer to the arcade unlike the NES game (you had to EARN moves?!).

Speaking of beat'em-ups, Renegade (a Western localization of Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun) would have been fun on the Atari 7800.  (Cue to developers out there!)

Renegade_02.gif

I would have just liked to have seen most of the games the NES got appear on the 7800. If I were in charge of Atari in 84, I would have made Bentley Bear Atari's mascot, and made Crystal Quest lol and start a whole line of games like Nintendo did with Mario.

But really, it would have been awesome if the 7800 got more ports.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

I would have just liked to have seen most of the games the NES got appear on the 7800. If I were in charge of Atari in 84, I would have made Bentley Bear Atari's mascot, and made Crystal Quest lol and start a whole line of games like Nintendo did with Mario.

But really, it would have been awesome if the 7800 got more ports.

Unfortunately Nintendo had a lot of 3rd parties on lock down and most wouldn't risk their relationship with the cash cow that is Nintendo for a 7800 release.  On top of that Jack Tramiel (according to what I've read, heard and came to the conclusion of) didn't want to invest hardly any money into games or the technology.  By most accounts I've seen he had a "they'll buy whatever we put out" attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, 7800Knight said:

Pac-Land is a big one for me!

Had Jack Tramiel's Atari been smarter, they'd have made Pac-Land the Atari 7800 pack-in game to compete against the NES and Super Mario Bros.

I couldn't agree more! Miyamoto has cited Pac-Land as having a direct influence on Super Mario Bros., as it was a predecessor platformer and one of the very first of its kind. 

A version on the 7800 would have made perfect sense. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Unfortunately Nintendo had a lot of 3rd parties on lock down and most wouldn't risk their relationship with the cash cow that is Nintendo for a 7800 release.  On top of that Jack Tramiel (according to what I've read, heard and came to the conclusion of) didn't want to invest hardly any money into games or the technology.  By most accounts I've seen he had a "they'll buy whatever we put out" attitude. 

Yup, Tramiel was a dummy.

• Like 2

Space Odyssey.  It always felt like the unofficial third game in the 'Astro' series that Astro Fighter and Astro Blaster started.  And if it wasn't the first shooter to alternate between horizontal and vertical stages, it was certainly one of the earliest.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Space Odyssey.  It always felt like the unofficial third game in the 'Astro' series that Astro Fighter and Astro Blaster started.  And if it wasn't the first shooter to alternate between horizontal and vertical stages, it was certainly one of the earliest.

oh Hell Yeah!!

Always played that one in the arcade, upstairs at Casa Bonita!   That game ruled!!

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 1:25 PM, Silver Back said:

There is a version of Double Dragon for the 7800. I guess whether it's better or not is debatable but I enjoy the 7800 version far more than the 2600.  There's even graphics hacks of double dragon improving the visuals.  A Pitfall game could've been interesting. 

Double Dragon on the 7800 is the biggest travesty, and a slap in the face of 7800 owners. I wouldn't be surprised if it gave people the impression that the 7800 was barely more powerful than the 2600, and was incapable of handling a decent version of Double Dragon. It made the 7800 look absolutely pitiful. I would love to see a ground up remake of it on the 7800.

Edited by KrunchyTC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KrunchyTC said:

Double Dragon on the 7800 is the biggest travesty, and a slap in the face of 7800 owners. I wouldn't be surprised if it gave people the impression that the 7800 was barely more powerful than the 2600, and was incapable of handling a decent version of Double Dragon. It made the 7800 look absolutely pitiful. I would love to see a ground up remake of it on the 7800.

I like 7800 Double Dragon. It certainly beats NES Single Dragon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrunchyTC said:

Ground up would likely be more practical, though a shame really, as even with the original template, including the limitations provided, a bit more attention to the graphics, better choices and color selection would make a world of a difference, as demonstrated in the below video.  An included POKEY chip to boot would have been fantastic:

A graphical update (without POKEY sound though) is available in the PROPack under the Hacks folder: 

Double Dragon (AB) (Graphics Hack) (RC7b) (20170616).a78

• Like 2

Sweet baby jesus! Thats SO much better! and I can't believe how well the POKEY handles the rock music! thats what double dragon should have been! Just a bit more time and effort goes such a long way.

Dang, I didn't see it in the PROpack, but no version of DD works on the concerto, not even the retail version.

Edited by KrunchyTC

6 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

Dang, I didn't see it in the PROpack, but no version of DD works on the concerto, not even the retail version.

Check to ensure the latest firmware is installed.

Double Dragon (AB) (NTSC) (Activision) (1989).a78

and 

Double Dragon (AB) (PAL) (Activision) (1989).a78

The above should work fine for their respective region.

Should also work fine.

Double Dragon (OB) (NTSC) (Activision) (1989).a78

and

Double Dragon (OB) (PAL) (Activision) (1989).a78

The above alternate dumps will not work.

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

and 

Should also work fine.

and

Nope, none of those work at all. Neither the newest, or the pervious firmware work.

Edited by KrunchyTC

12 hours ago, Trebor said:

and 

Should also work fine.

and

Just confirming that none of the above work for me, either.  Same end result in all cases: black screen, and from the way the TV behaves it's as though no video signal is making it to it after the game loads.

A3 machine, Synertek SALLY, UAV, internal AtariVox+, Concerto firmware 30723.  Results are the same if the Avox is enabled or disabled.

BTW, we should really move this part of the discussion somewhere more appropriate ;-)

On 5/20/2023 at 1:49 PM, KrunchyTC said:

Yup, Tramiel was a dummy.

Agreed...  Sam was only trying to see low cost video games in addition to high end PC's (with no corpoate support), ST's for specialized markets only and handheld systems designed by other companies who never got paid any royalties.  Of course Atari Corp. was bound to fail...

Jack however was just too damn cheap.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Agreed...  Sam was only trying to see low cost video games in addition to high end PC's (with no corpoate support), ST's for specialized markets only and handheld systems designed by other companies who never got paid any royalties.  Of course Atari Corp. was bound to fail...

Jack however was just too damn cheap.

What also sucks is Time Warner ditching Atari rather then trying rebuild the brand. The 7800 would have been a good time to do that.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 8:56 PM, KrunchyTC said:

I agree with this. The only thing the NES one is missing is two players at once. But honestly playing solo on the NES is way more fun than the 7800 version. And the 7800 version is so much worse that your buddy would rather play something else potentially. 😛

I would be interested to have seen someone try and port Contra.

47 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I agree with this. The only thing the NES one is missing is two players at once. But honestly playing solo on the NES is way more fun than the 7800 version. And the 7800 version is so much worse that your buddy would rather play something else potentially. 😛

I would be interested to have seen someone try and port Contra.

I want the first 2 double dragon games ported to the 7800, as well as the 2 contra games! Lol also would like to see all the Castlevania games ported, even rondo of blood, cuz of that pokey chip cover video.

• Like 2