IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

My HP8610 printer stopped printing two years ago, coincidentally after purchasing a set of new ink cartridges.  Fortunately, my wife bought the cartridges from a local store that same day and was able to return the ink carts for a refund.  (that in itself was a minor miracle).  I'm pretty sure the new ink carts damaged the printer or were newer than the the allowed firmware.  HP was of no help, imagine that.  So I bought a different printer (laser) and kept the 8610 as a scanner.  Today, I'm asked to look at the 8610's scanner because it is stuck at some error menu.  On the touch screen is a message similar to "print head missing or not working" with only a "show me" option and a silly animation that tells me where to look inside.  What really irritates me is that there is no way to bypass the message.  I spent time searching for a solution to no avail, so barring any additional miracles, instead of continuing to use the device as a scanner, it will make it way to the scrap heap.  Thanks, HP.

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

First look at LEGO NASA Artemis Space Launch System set with 3,601 pieces! The unreleased set was spotted on a store shelf at the Taipei airport

20240417_212124.jpg

I saw this posted on reddit, pretty amusing, since this was quite the leak as it hasn't even been announced yet.  Weird that it showed up at an airport like that!!  Also, who the heck buys these giant LEGO sets (like the Titanic set, which is enormous!) at an AIRPORT?!?!

..Al

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Albert said:

I saw this posted on reddit, pretty amusing, since this was quite the leak as it hasn't even been announced yet.  Weird that it showed up at an airport like that!!  Also, who the heck buys these giant LEGO sets (like the Titanic set, which is enormous!) at an AIRPORT?!?!

..Al

Very rich people!!

59 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

My HP8610 printer stopped printing two years ago, coincidentally after purchasing a set of new ink cartridges.

The HP OfficeJet series went downhill after the 8500s, and even some of those had some issues with going to sleep and never waking up.  The 8600s had all sorts of issues, like suddenly not recognizing print heads, scanning head would hang up, the ADFs would just stop working.  The early 8700s tried to fix the problems, and only the late 8700s were any good.

My 8500 is dying after 15 years.  The ink sponge for the cleaning tray is completely full, so the heads cannot clean themselves and they clog as soon as they hit the pad.  Not that it matters, anymore, as the ink cartridges are no longer available.  I have a really nice color laser printer, but not a good duplexing scanner with a flatbed.  I am trying to find a replacement AIO that prints good photos.  This thing was amazing with photos.

• Sad 1

I just bought an Officejet Proe 8710 from a local thrift shop for 5 bucks, still has some ink, especially blank ink. I just purchased a full set of the 3 colors and black from Ink Technologies for about 55.00, not sure. Haven't installed them yet but the printer in a power house for scanning and printing black.

I also own a HP Laserjet Pro MFP M476nw that I got on clearance at Office Depot for 150.00 in 2016 that was a great machine till I ran out of toner and didn't have money. Finally a couple of years later I get some toner from Ink Tech above and replace, but find out I have an issue inside that is preventing the Printer from printing, keeps saying it's jammed and shows to clear it, but there is nothing there. After some research I found it is a common issue, but you have to go into the machine to fix it, and I have hesitated to do so. But when it was working greta photos or anything.

Oh @InsaneMultitasker, donate it to charity and claim the deduction.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

blank ink

These are hard to find, but great for sending secret messages during war-time.

19 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

keeps saying it's jammed and shows to clear it, but there is nothing there. After some research I found it is a common issue

Oh, that, I forgot about that one!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

My HP8610 printer stopped printing two years ago, coincidentally after purchasing a set of new ink cartridges.  Fortunately, my wife bought the cartridges from a local store that same day and was able to return the ink carts for a refund.  (that in itself was a minor miracle).  I'm pretty sure the new ink carts damaged the printer or were newer than the the allowed firmware.  HP was of no help, imagine that.  So I bought a different printer (laser) and kept the 8610 as a scanner.  Today, I'm asked to look at the 8610's scanner because it is stuck at some error menu.  On the touch screen is a message similar to "print head missing or not working" with only a "show me" option and a silly animation that tells me where to look inside.  What really irritates me is that there is no way to bypass the message.  I spent time searching for a solution to no avail, so barring any additional miracles, instead of continuing to use the device as a scanner, it will make it way to the scrap heap.  Thanks, HP.

I have two 8620er at full work here since 10 or more? years.

The defective print head seems to be a "wanted" standard problem for these printers after 10 or 20.000 printouts.

and I tried a lot of ways to "repair" that in the past. There are many videos on youtube for how to reanimate (clean) the print head,

but none of them ever worked for me. Also buying a (chinese) new print head did not fix the problem.

Some month ago I was lucky in buying a badly used 8620er for 50eu on eBay, I just wanted to swap the print head,

but it turned out that it was used for 500 prints only, so for now, now I have a new printer 🥰

Still looking for more machines :grin:

• Like 1

TikTok looking for a slice of users still using apps from the Meta empire:

TikTok is testing out its new Instagram competitor, TikTok Notes, in Canada and Australia. Though Notes is a separate, standalone app, users can log in via their existing TikTok accounts. The company said it’s in the early phase of testing and although TikTok already lets users post still images and text, the ByteDance-owned company says TikTok Notes is “a dedicated space for photo and text content.” Meanwhile, TikTok is under an ongoing national security review in Canada, ordered by the federal government.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/tiktok-rolls-out-meta-challenger-5893417/

38 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Maaaaaaybe Boeing should work on the reliability of its internal QC processes and engineering quality before it considers branching out.  As a side note, I am neither depressed nor holding my finger on the DEL key.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RickyDean said:

I just bought an Officejet Proe 8710 from a local thrift shop for 5 bucks, still has some ink, especially blank ink. I just purchased a full set of the 3 colors and black from Ink Technologies for about 55.00, not sure. Haven't installed them yet but the printer in a power house for scanning and printing black.

I also own a HP Laserjet Pro MFP M476nw that I got on clearance at Office Depot for 150.00 in 2016 that was a great machine till I ran out of toner and didn't have money. Finally a couple of years later I get some toner from Ink Tech above and replace, but find out I have an issue inside that is preventing the Printer from printing, keeps saying it's jammed and shows to clear it, but there is nothing there. After some research I found it is a common issue, but you have to go into the machine to fix it, and I have hesitated to do so. But when it was working greta photos or anything.

Oh @InsaneMultitasker, donate it to charity and claim the deduction.

Maybe it's clogged with blank ink?

K-R.

• Haha 2

Sad to see the end of the Z80 Zilog era my first love is the TMS9900 but I also have a lot of respect for the MSX community and their amazing passion to keep making new games & hardware. I hope soon to again own some Z80 systems as many used the TMS9918 & V9938 video chips.

20240419_115833.jpg

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

Sad to see the end of the Z80 Zilog era my first love is the TMS9900 but I also have a lot of respect for the MSX community and their amazing passion to keep making new games & hardware. I hope soon to again own some Z80 systems as many used the TMS9918 & V9938 video chips.

20240419_115833.jpg

https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Littelfuse_PCN_Z84C00.pdf

A bit of a bummer.  The cynic in me knows some people will buy up as much of the last batches as possible just to bring up the prices.  It seems to me that with Z80 cores available for SoC, FPGAs, and such, having the original CPU for maintenance purposes and to build proper TTL computers is a great thing.  I dunno.  I feel like I need to snap up a few to have on-hand for the potential of CPU death in my Z80-powered devices.

PS: It just struck me that this CPU and I were conceived in the same year.  I, however, beat it to the market.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Littelfuse_PCN_Z84C00.pdf

A bit of a bummer.  The cynic in me knows some people will buy up as much of the last batches as possible just to bring up the prices.  It seems to me that with Z80 cores available for SoC, FPGAs, and such, having the original CPU for maintenance purposes and to build proper TTL computers is a great thing.  I dunno.  I feel like I need to snap up a few to have on-hand for the potential of CPU death in my Z80-powered devices.

PS: It just struck me that this CPU and I were conceived in the same year.  I, however, beat it to the market.

yeah, sadly the aliexpress and ebay resellers will be buying up stock and then charging more money soon as the news spreads.

fpga cores are nice, but still having original parts are still best for building things, there always tiny little glitches or timing changes in the fpga cores, and then you have the issue fpga's themselves stop production more often then the original parts, and you have to port over the code to a new part, and overall some fpga's are more costly as well, and then there is programming side, and 3.3volt or 1.5volt level conversion as well, plus i still personally like having DIP only pcboards that can be easy assembled without all that smt stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1