IGNORED

THE BIG CHRISTMAS 2600+ GIVEAWAY COMPETITION!

Ben from Plaion

Ben!! This is so hard to narrow down…

I think if I could only pick one game, only ONE, I think I would pick an enhanced 7800 version of Crystal Castles.

Keep the core design of the 2600 version but have more detailed sprites with more level variety.

Maybe even add some new enemies and mechanics to the game… 

I kind of want to do mockup screenshots to show what it could be like…

Anyway almost picked Solaris to do as an enhanced 7800 game, but other than changing the style of graphics I don’t know how you could improve that one.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

With Mr Run and Jump a new game was made for modern platforms and the 2600, with them having a crossover, level and gameplay wise. This I thought was very cool.

I would like to see a series of both original IP and remakes released on modern platforms and the 2600 in the same way. 

I like the way you think!

Imagine having some of these wildly talented 2600 developers, including the many right here on AtariAge, being licensed to code official ports of games that is also being released on modern consoles. It would make the 2600 (or the 2600+, in this case) kind of a marketplace competitor.

With the flurry of catchy, fun, simple, accessible puzzle / platformers that are released these days, having a line of official 2600 ports would really let the platform shine, showing how the gameplay on the old beast can still hold up just fine.

Edited by Jason Lee
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Emehr said:

:D I would welcome that if you decide to! I actually wrote more to the pitch after I posted and added an aggressor. Gotta have an aggressor! Or four of them :ponder:

pinch-manosaggressor.thumb.jpg.00cb5390a601402a001d263df786593d.jpg

This is gold Jerry, Gold!

4 hours ago, Jason Lee said:

I like the way you think!

Imagine having some of these wildly talented 2600 developers, including the many right here on AtariAge, being licensed to code official ports of games that is also being released on modern consoles. It would make the 2600 (or the 2600+, in this case) kind of a marketplace competitor.

With the flurry of catchy, fun, simple, accessible puzzle / platformers that are released these days, having a line of official 2600 ports would really let the platform shine, showing how the gameplay on the old beast can still hold up just fine.

This is the hope.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, vagabondartist said:

Ben!! This is so hard to narrow down…

I think if I could only pick one game, only ONE, I think I would pick an enhanced 7800 version of Crystal Castles.

Keep the core design of the 2600 version but have more detailed sprites with more level variety.

Maybe even add some new enemies and mechanics to the game… 

I kind of want to do mockup screenshots to show what it could be like…

Crystal Castles for 7800 would be amazing. Just to get an idea, here's a 7800 mockup I did some time ago:

7800CrystalCastlesmockup.PNG.4d4f80019ea499584965624585e84169(1).thumb.png.700be2e7bb3f569cb84358390d50abfb.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

WOW!!!  Where do I start? I've been reading all your wonderful ideas and these are top of mind. Some of these are new, some already discussed, but added for additional endorsement. Admittedly, some are way-out-there wishes, but you asked, Ben! :)   Sorry for the longish post...

1. Obvi, the top tier programmers and artists on AA creating / enhancing games.

• Top of mind: anything by Homebrew programmers you can contract with on: PacManPlus, Thomas J, Spiceware, Champ Games + artwork by Nathan S.
  • Enhanced games with OmegaMatrix's menus (why not do this with a 7800 multi-cart in addition to 2600?

2. 2600:

• Medieval Mayham - Deluxe XP packaging that it deserves 
  • Man Falls Down
  • More Paddle Games! 
  • More Driving Games!
  • 2 player games with 1 player options
  • SwordQuest multi-pack - XP packaging (obvi ;)
  • Crazy Climber - XP packaging (since this was an OG mail order, many don't have nor have the box)
  • Obelix and Asterix multi cart - XP packaging (hard to get since released late and mainly Canada / EU release)
  • Sports - How about contracting Champ Games with the new sports titles they are already working on?!
  • Lunar Lander (contract with Champ Games with their game already in-dev)

3. 7800:

• Missile Command 7800 (enhanced compatible/designed for both joystick and trackball)
  • Tempest 7800
  • Time Crisis 7800 - Light games even possible? Would love this with new light guns! (I realize this shoot the moon territory)
  • Circus Atari 7800 - Rerelease of PacManPlus (with Deluxe XP packaging) 
  • Outlaw 7800 (updated XYPE Gunfight for 7800?)
  • Major Havoc 7800
  • Track and Field 7800
  • Super cool Kaboom-like paddle game for 7800
  • New Breakout-like paddle side scroller for 7800
  • 7800 versions of Night Driver, Sprint, Indy 500 (compatible with both joysticks or Driving Controllers...we could play on either the 2600+ or OG 7800) 
  • Any 7800 protos not finished/released (e.g. Sirius, Plutos, etc)

I'll stop there as I'm sure there's more but these are what I got after 1st Sat am cup of coffee.

Oh, I'd love to win, but if not and John Hancock wins, I'll gladly take his prize! haha ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would be thrilled to see 2600 demakes/downports of "memorable" (in their specific way) Atari Jaguar originals such as Kasumi Ninja or Crescent Galaxy.

With the emphasis on 'ports as I think in the right hands (e.g. some of the proven homebrew programmer, graphic and sound artists of this forum) and with sleeker and better gameplay, these could easily be converted into actual fun games.

Give their silly settings and graphics a more appropriate home on the VCS!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm tempted to send you a DM to make this a reality!

@Ben from Plaion @Emehr @Warboss Gegguz People, that's what the SD card slot is supposed to be for.  For Pac-Man, Kaboom!, or any other games that, for whatever reason, are missing or unavailable.  Please, before this grape-squashing-nonsense goes any further, come back to reality!  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

1 minute ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Ben from Plaion @Emehr @Warboss Gegguz People, that's what the SD card slot is supposed to be for.  For Pac-Man, Kaboom!, or any other games that, for whatever reason, are missing or unavailable.  Please, before this grape-squashing-nonsense goes any further, come back to reality!  

Yes... but that has nothing to do with ATARI rereleasing games commercially.

Also, you understand that Ben is literally one of the devs on the 2600+? So I think he has an understanding of what Atari can and can't do legally, lol.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

34 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Yes... but that has nothing to do with ATARI rereleasing games commercially.

Also, you understand that Ben is literally one of the devs on the 2600+? So I think he has an understanding of what Atari can and can't do legally, lol.

I for one will defend Pinch-Manos in court against the overbearing yellow pilled corporate meanies. That! You can be damn sure of.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Lol.

I can't ignore the genius that Emehr has bestowed on us.

I want Pinch Manos and I want it now!

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Imagine grabbing the license for it after all that happened before.

Honestly it would be hilariously. Especially if they made it even MORE like Pac-Man.

Thank god for the Capcom v. Data East ruling. Imagine a world where a company could own the entire genre/concept of a game...

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Crystal Castles for 7800 would be amazing. Just to get an idea, here's a 7800 mockup I did some time ago:

7800CrystalCastlesmockup.PNG.4d4f80019ea499584965624585e84169(1).thumb.png.700be2e7bb3f569cb84358390d50abfb.png

That’s awesome. I would actually like it to be more like the 2600 version and less like the arcade, but I’m probably in the minority on that one. I’ll mock up some screens to show what I mean

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

What was the Capcom Vs Data East ruling about?

Oh Goodie! I get to use all the useless info I know for once!

In short, Data East made an early fighting game called Fighter's History (which is a pretty good, albeit not too original Fighting game) that capcom claimed was so similar to SF2 that they legit thought it was enough to take Data East to court over. While it was similar in controls, commands, and overall visual style, there was literally nothing explicit that was "taken" from SF2. So Capcom's case was effectively grounded in the idea that being a 6 button fighting game with similar tropes/moves was enough to constitute copyright infringement... which the court firmly shot down, as it was effectively trying to copyright an abstract concept. Effectively overturning or at least adding huge loopholes to the Atari "trilogy" of court hearings about video game copyright.

"copyright protection does not encompass games as such, since they consist of abstract rules and play ideas. It follows, therefore, that audiovisual works like the two presently before the Court are largely unprotectable games."

So basically, the reason we're able to have fighting games and "clones" (like much of the homebrew here even) is because capcom got cocky and wanted to literally claim ownership over a whole genre. 

... All of which is hilariously ironic when you realize that the original Street Fighter including down to the color-coding of Ryu and Ken, the minigames, directional commands, etc. was inspired by Karate Champ, a Data East game.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Oh Goodie! I get to use all the useless info I know for once!

In short, Data East made an early fighting game called Fighter's History (which is a pretty good, albeit not too original Fighting game) that capcom claimed was so similar to SF2 that they legit thought it was enough to take Data East to court over. While it was similar in controls, commands, and overall visual style, there was literally nothing explicit that was "taken" from SF2. So Capcom's case was effectively grounded in the idea that being a 6 button fighting game with similar tropes/moves was enough to constitute copyright infringement... which the court firmly shot down, as it was effectively trying to copyright an abstract concept.

"copyright protection does not encompass games as such, since they consist of abstract rules and play ideas. It follows, therefore, that audiovisual works like the two presently before the Court are largely unprotectable games."

So basically, the reason we're able to have fighting games and "clones" (like much of the homebrew here even) is because capcom got cocky and wanted to literally claim ownership over a whole genre. 

... All of which is hilariously ironic when you realize that the original Street Fighter including down to the color-coding of Ryu and Ken, the minigames, directional commands, etc. was inspired by Karate Champ, a Data East game.

So you're telling me Pinch-Manos has a chance!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

So here’s a custom boxart I made for the 2600 version of Crystal Castles, mildly edited for a plus version, and a very rough sprite attempt for an updated sprite look for such a plussed up game.

Essentially, I’m proposing another stylized approach in the spirit of the 2600 version with the power of the 7800, rather than a strict 1 to 1 arcade port.

However if we could have it, I would take both yours and my idea on two separate rad carts cause I love Crystal Castles 🥰

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1705.png

Edited by vagabondartist
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Funny thing about all this is I'm talking to @PacManPlus on Monday.

How fortuitous! If I could trust Pinch-Manos in the hands (no pun intended) of anybody, it's Bob.

3 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

*Looks at hands, shaking* It's too late...we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'll code it myself if I have to! 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emehr said:

How fortuitous! If I could trust Pinch-Manos in the hands (no pun intended) of anybody, it's Bob.

*Looks at hands, shaking* It's too late...we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'll code it myself if I have to! 😀

I've already done the forecasted P&L, drawn up NDAs and drafted head of terms contracts, nothing stops this train.

Only input on the game is I want to be sound engineer and change waka waka for something more appropriate for hand squishing grape...sqwib sqwib sqwib

• Haha 3