IGNORED

What have you PLAYED weekly tracker 2024 (ALL GENERATIONS)

Spent part of February 29th playing video games. I try to treat Leap Day as a holiday and relax and do fun stuff to celebrate. This year, I got an Atari 7800 for Christmas, so part of this Leap Day was spent playing Dark Chambers, Xevious, Centipede (both versions), Millipede, Defender, Joust, Strategy X, Ghost Manor and Spikes Peak.  I also played Claymates, Clay Fighter 2, Gauntlet and Golden Axe 2 on my SNES and Sega Genesis. Played Defender and Joust on my Atari 7800, SNES and Genesis back to back. I'm not sure why, but I'm a huge fan of those Williams arcade games. They are borderline too hard for me, but the way they are designed, I still enjoy playing them a lot even though I die a lot. It's fun to play the three different versions.  The Atari 2600 version of Defender is my favorite because you can hide behind the horizon to avoid getting hit. The Sega Genesis version of Joust is my favorite I think because of how well suited the controller is for it and to some degree, I like the way it sounds on the Genesis the best.  I like the Genesis' kinda growly sound for some games. Makes Defender sound cool too. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Keir said:

That place sounds awesome!

59 minutes ago, DarthDuke said:

Wow! That's a big arcade for having freeplay games! I've seen freeplay cabinets in hobby stores where I live, but not this many. Does this place charge any kind of admission or at the door fee? There used to be a high-end bar/restaurant here where you could have somewhat expensive, but quite good, drinks and gourmet level bar food (excellent bison burgers for example). But the upside was that they had a lot of freeplay arcade cabinets, pool tables, darts, etc. Not nearly this many though. I think the arcade side of the place was maybe a fourth the size of this one, but it was still a great place to hang out and to have parties. Covid killed it off unfortunately. It never came back.  

@DarthDuke @Keir Thanks, yeah, it's a lot of fun.  I try to go once every couple of weeks.  It's really big with dozens of cabinets.  The photos I posted are probably less than half of it.  They do a really nice job maintaining everything, I feel fortunate to have it nearby.

Yes, there's an admission at the door.  $8 for kids from morning til night, and $14 for adults.  It's 11am to 11pm and you can leave and come back as much as you want for the day, to stroll around the town, get a bite to eat, go back and play some more games, etc.   Sorry I should have mentioned that.  I just mentioned it was free-play because it's so much more fun when you can just play as much as you want, for as long as you want, without feeding quarters or tokens into the machine.  It's surprisingly never too busy.  They even have a weekly and a monthly pass at a discount.  I might actually get one of those!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DarthDuke said:

I'm not sure why, but I'm a huge fan of those Williams arcade games. They are borderline too hard for me, but the way they are designed, I still enjoy playing them a lot even though I die a lot.

Their games are great.  Joust and Defender are two of my all-time favorites as well.  Defender is known to be notoriously difficult, so you are not the only one!  I just use the smart-bombs as much as I can!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TampaBay said:

@DarthDuke @Keir Thanks, yeah, it's a lot of fun.  I try to go once every couple of weeks.  It's really big with dozens of cabinets.  The photos I posted are probably less than half of it.  They do a really nice job maintaining everything, I feel fortunate to have it nearby.

Yes, there's an admission at the door.  $8 for kids from morning til night, and $14 for adults.  It's 11am to 11pm and you can leave and come back as much as you want for the day, to stroll around the town, get a bite to eat, go back and play some more games, etc.   Sorry I should have mentioned that.  I just mentioned it was free-play because it's so much more fun when you can just play as much as you want, for as long as you want, without feeding quarters or tokens into the machine.  It's surprisingly never too busy.  They even have a weekly and a monthly pass at a discount.  I might actually get one of those!

That's a good deal! I can easily spend more than $14 at Pinball Hall of Fame when I'm there for an afternoon. I don't mind because it goes to charities like Salvation Army. Would be awesome to have a place like the one you are talking about though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

It helps @carlsson a lot if you post them in similar formats to others. Make sure to list your time for each game or it defaults to five minutes.

I never keep track of how long I do things for fun. I've never thought of it. If that format needs to be followed, I guess I won't post anymore. Thanks for letting me know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TampaBay said:

Their games are great.  Joust and Defender are two of my all-time favorites as well.  Defender is known to be notoriously difficult, so you are not the only one!  I just use the smart-bombs as much as I can!

Yeah, smart bombs are fantastic! In the versions where I can't hide behind the horizon, I use the bombs a lot. Maybe one of the reasons why I don't mind Defender being so difficult is the satisfying payoff that I get from even managing to rescue one humanoid from a lander. I don't get frustrated if I don't get a higher total score than I have before because that play mechanic is more satisfying to me than a score. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah. Games without system are not considered at all by me. Games with system but no time are accounted for 5 min each. Games with all parameters set are logged as written down.

Sorry. New to this forum thread. Didn't realize that posts had to be in a certain format. 

• Like 2

The entire idea behind this thread is to count times, accumulate over the year and get total numbers at the end of the year. Of course you're welcome to post which games you've been playing even if you didn't keep the slightest track of time. Sometimes you can tell if you played a game for 5 or 30 minutes though, or sat in front of it for two hours and skipped dinner. Rough estimates are perfectly fine.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DarthDuke said:

I never keep track of how long I do things for fun. I've never thought of it. If that format needs to be followed, I guess I won't post anymore. Thanks for letting me know. 

I mean, I enjoy your posts, but carlsson does a lot of work in this thread and I always worry about getting in his way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DarthDuke said:

Sorry. New to this forum thread. Didn't realize that posts had to be in a certain format. 

You don't have to go too crazy.  I don't keep "super close" track as I go along.  At the end of the day or every couple of days, I just list the games I played, what system its on (arcade, Atari 2600, etc.) and a rough estimate rounded to the nearest 20 mins of how long I played.

I agree about saving people in Defender!

Edited by TampaBay
  • Like 4

When I started posting in this thread I wasn't sure about the whole keeping track of my time business, but now I find it's actually kind of fun. I don't worry about being too precise, I just think about roughly how long I've spent playing games and round to the nearest 5 minutes.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DarthDuke said:

There is some effort involved, and it isn't for everybody, but you learn some things when you start tracking the actual time you play games.  I usually just use my phone to quickly note my start time and then keep a running log each week.  On Monday, I get the log organized by system and post it here.  It adds a new dimension to what I think a lot of us feel which is that our backlog of games is ever growing and having some data points as measures of progress brings some relief.  Maybe that's just me.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, wongojack said:

There is some effort involved, and it isn't for everybody, but you learn some things when you start tracking the actual time you play games.  I usually just use my phone to quickly note my start time and then keep a running log each week.  On Monday, I get the log organized by system and post it here.  It adds a new dimension to what I think a lot of us feel which is that our backlog of games is ever growing and having some data points as measures of progress brings some relief.  Maybe that's just me.

I also think it's interesting to see trends I might not otherwise have noticed as easily.  Apparently I really like driving games!  Ha.  I didn't realize just how much time I spent driving until I saw a lot of my game play on Out Run, Daytona USA 2, Pole Position, Gran Turismo, Cruis'n USA, etc.  

• Like 6

I take photos of pretty much everything I play (as you will have by now noticed). It definitely makes me realize the time investment more... except for that week I played for like 25 hours and said I hadn't played very much...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Yeah, it's kind of like keeping a gaming journal, and can lead to some interesting insights. It's amazing how weird my sense of time can be -- I find out a game I thought I played a year or two ago, I actually beat a decade ago. (And once in a while, the opposite happens!)

Just the other day I thought I remembered that it took me 6+ hours to beat a game in a single sitting -- but nope, it was only about 4. Is that important? Dunno, but it was interesting to me.

• Like 7

This threads making me realize all I play is Sega anymore. I need to trend back to other things in my video diet 🫣. After all my goofing around to get Phantasy Star back online, I've still only met 2 other lonely souls to adventure with so far.

Sega Master System

The Ninja - 90min (HSC)

Sega Game Gear

Battletoads - 30min

Wonderboy - 20min

Samurai Shodown - 20min

Sega Dreamcast

Phantasy Star Online ver2 - 1215min

Chuchu Rocket - 60min

Gunlord - 60min

Stupid Invaders - 30min

Dead or Alive 2 - 20min

Zombie Revenge - 30min

IMG_20240227_021628157.jpg

IMG_20240302_040329495_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240301_075523489_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I always worry about getting in his way

That is very generous of you, but a single post here and there don't affect my work here much. Actually what does take most of the time is to track down arcade games (regarding release years) and alternative titles of some games for the newer systems, to determine if it is the same one as previously tracked or a new spinoff in the same series of games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this week (February 26th through March 3rd 2024)... today is March 3rd in the USA as well, right? RIGHT??? ;-)

Anyway, here are my... yeah, as said above. ;-)

Arcade:

Elevator Action - 57 min. in 3 sessions

This week I continued to play the original arcade version of "Elevator Action" just for a little distraction (rhymes, huh?). One of the sessions was pretty short because right after starting the game, it came to me what I actually wanted to do, so that session only lasted for one game. I managed to beat the 2nd building multiple times and start the 3rd, maxing out at about 17,500 points.

What was also interesting, but isn't a game, is a paper that came out on "Cellular functions of spermatogonial stem cells in relation to JAK/STAT signaling pathway"... whatever that is. This scientific paper has actually been written by AI and the illustrations created by Midjourney. On the surface, this looks like a legit scientific paper, but if you look at the figures a bit more closely you'll realize that they are pretty much nonsense, and the descriptions of the figures are gibberish with the words that are in principle correct often varying in spelling, i.e. the term "spermatogonial stem cells" once appears as "Spermatocial stem cells", then there is an "iollotte sserotgomar cell", there are "senctolic stem cells" and "dielocttal stem ells", with the "e" of "dielocttal" actually being a mirrored "s" (a "2" in lowercase). And the madness goes on like this in the other figures which are all AI generated...

• Like 6

Atari 8-bit:
Galaxian - 18 min.

I had not played any games for the entire week, when I felt the itch to play something at 11 PM on Sunday evening. I had two games of the current A8 HSC game, and in my second attempt surprisingly set a new personal best. Better end while you're ahead, so this is as far I got this week.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 6:11 PM, DarthDuke said:

I got Strategy X, XONOX double ended Spikes Peak with Ghost Manor, and Midnight Magic for the Atari 2600. Also found Claymates for the SNES. 

On 3/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, DarthDuke said:

This year, I got an Atari 7800 for Christmas, so part of this Leap Day was spent playing Dark Chambers, Xevious, Centipede (both versions), Millipede, Defender, Joust, Strategy X, Ghost Manor and Spikes Peak.  I also played Claymates, Clay Fighter 2, Gauntlet and Golden Axe 2 on my SNES and Sega Genesis. Played Defender and Joust on my Atari 7800, SNES and Genesis back to back. [..] The Atari 2600 version of Defender is my favorite because you can hide behind the horizon to avoid getting hit. The Sega Genesis version of Joust is my favorite I think because of how well suited the controller is for it and to some degree, I like the way it sounds on the Genesis the best.  I like the Genesis' kinda growly sound for some games. Makes Defender sound cool too. 

I parsed your posts and came to this breakdown, which is what I will use unless you like to update it:

Atari 2600:
Defender - 5 min. (*)
Ghost Manor - 10 min.
Midnight Magic - 5 min.
Millipede - 5 min.
Spike's Peak - 10 min.
Strategy X - 10 min.

(*) Doesn't exist on the 7800, unless you played Bob DeCrescenzo's recent homebrew?

Atari 7800:
Centipede - 5 min.
Dark Chambers - 5 min.
Joust - 5 min
Xevious - 5 min.

Genesis:
Gauntlet IV - 5 min.
Golden Axe II - 5 min.
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits - 10 min. (Defender + Joust are part of this compilation)

SNES:
Clay Fighter 2 - 5 min.
Claymates - 10 min.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 5

Here Are my times from the previous week:

NES/Famicom

Bee 52 (unlicensed): 16 minutes

Abadox: 6 minutes

After burner (unlicensed): 4 1/2 minutes

Big Nose the Caveman (unlicensed): 7 1/2 minutes

Burgertime: 7 minutes