IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

The full user manual (38 PDF pages - English) for The400 Mini is now available from Retro Games' Support Page.

The400 Mini - User Manual

[Edit]

Includes special information on how to use it for the following, additional fun features: seizures, repetitive-motion injuries, eyestrain, motion sickness, and electric shock.

Sorry, no information on chord choking (strangulation, swallowing, etc.), poking your eyes out, or concussion injuries by hurling at or slamming on a friend's or loved one's head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Try running the cartridge version of Blue Max to see if it works.

1 hour ago, swlovinist said:

I will try to run these later in the evening.

Here's the ROM version, in case it doesn't like the CAR version I posted above (they are different file types, other than just the extension).

Blue Max.rom

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yes, but I'm wondering, why not this too?

faq_controller_atari_cx40_xe.jpg.d3bc19ece3f9969106072bc57f2cbeb1.jpg

Sorry - that looks gross.  It's like a grey ST controller that turned terribly yellow and is in dire need of some peroxide and UV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Sorry - that looks gross.  It's like a grey ST controller that turned terribly yellow and is in dire need of some peroxide and UV.

Maybe because they're rare and you haven't seen one before? This was a real Atari product for the 400/800 machines. I think they look great!

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Maybe because they're rare and you haven't seen one before? This was a real Atari product for the 400/800 machines. I think they look great!

Oh wow - I did not know this.  I had my 400 since 1982, but was never aware of that particular stick.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Oh wow - I did not know this.  I had my 400 since 1982, but was never aware of that particular stick.

Wait, I may have gotten some bad information about that. It may very well be an XE gray stick that's yellowed (further research needed). 

Regardless, one that would be manufactured using the case color from the The400 Mini would be cool.

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

Here's the ROM version, in case it doesn't like the CAR version I posted above (they are different file types, other than just the extension).

Blue Max.rom 32 kB · 1 download

Car version works, but the pack in controller has issue with control.   Worth playing with another compatible controller until a patch is given.    The other PAL games that you sent do not have enough memory.   I tried the other two versions of Blue Max and they do not work for me(.cas and .xex files.   

• Thanks 1

I tried the other two versions of Blue Max and they do not work for me(.cas and .xex files. 

Yeah, I saw that in your review, which is why I thought about the cartridge version.

but the pack in controller has issue with control

So far, you seem to be the only reviewer having control issues with TheCX Stick. I'm wondering if there might be issues with the particular one that you got?

3 hours ago, Preppie said:

Looks like a XEGS controller, I don't remember any sticks that color before the XEGS but I could be wrong.

It is an XEGS gray controller gone beige. I got confused based on some former discussion about it, where someone had thought it was a beige controller that was specifically made.

16 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, I saw that in your review, which is why I thought about the cartridge version.

So far, you seem to be the only reviewer having control issues with TheCX Stick. I'm wondering if there might be issues with the particular one that you got?

Nope, another creator has issues as well.   Some of the same games too.  

11 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Nope, another creator has issues as well.   Some of the same games too.  

Which reviewer would that be? I don't recall anyone else mentioning control problems. I just remember the GenX guy saying he was occasionally hitting some of the extra buttons unintentionally.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know which versions of the games were chosen.

For example, Flip and Flop appears to be the cart edition whereas the disk release has a different font and looks a bit better. Also, I watched a few videos of reviewers playing Boulder Dash and there's a horrible prolonged "ping" sound at the very beginning of the game. Is this the result of bad sound emulation or because of a dodgy file? 

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

Which reviewer would that be? I don't recall anyone else mentioning control problems. I just remember the GenX guy saying he was occasionally hitting some of the extra buttons unintentionally.

They have not posted their video yet :).   I can say without a doubt that after playing Blue Max, there are some controller issues or at least with mine.   Hopefully a firmware update can be used, and I did reach out to Retro Games.   

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

Woo hoo!  Amazon just sent me an update that my order of a 400 Mini and a second controller have shipped!

Jealous! Hoping I will get a similar update soon. Mine still says it's arriving on Saturday.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:35 AM, swlovinist said:

They have not posted their video yet :).

Ah, I see. I'll be interested to hear some of those other reviews then.

I can say without a doubt that after playing Blue Max, there are some controller issues or at least with mine.

That's too bad. My initial impression of the controller is that it may be a weak point for the system.

People (including myself) had doubts about the unique positions of the extra buttons (particularly the ring buttons) possibly being an issue for accidental triggering; and it seems those doubts are being confirmed by the GenX guy's experience so far. He had suggested redefining particular functions away from buttons that were being more easily triggered by accident; but this is hardly an ideal solution (and apparently not possible with the built-in games). To me, the problem is an indication that there may not have been enough testing done with the controller. It seems like a slick idea - to put buttons on the ring -- but in practice it might not function so great. As we all know, the controller is an important component for a game system. Having to bring our own controller lowers the value of that part of the system.

Hopefully a firmware update can be used, and I did reach out to Retro Games. 

Hopefully something can be done without too much trouble for the control issues you've experienced; but if they are hardware issues, they aren't going away easily. I suppose firmware changes could make the extra buttons less sensitive, in order to remedy the problem the GenX guy is experiencing. We'll see how things go.

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

Woo hoo!  Amazon just sent me an update that my order of a 400 Mini and a second controller have shipped!

400mini arriving Friday for me now, 2nd controller still 27th April, you lucky lucky barrrstool.