IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

18 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

I doubt that he's an outlier. As long as the kids don't know what they are playing is "old and uncool" I doubt that they'd care. There was another retro event here in NZ recently and, as usual, the retro games were super popular with very young kids. I've had other people's kids come over and see me play ancient stuff and instantly want to have a go, too. 

I'd say he is, but then I guess we all have our own experiences and it's not really worth arguing about. In my experience, kids know what looks and feels old (not just videogames) and tend not to be attracted to it. Again, this is speaking in general, and there will always be outliers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Well, that makes sense - you're used to it. I've never used one before but I have used NES and SMS controllers for many years. The buttons are also too far from the edge of the controller IMO. I mean, button one is pretty much smack-bang in the centre...

I used an NES controller for a couple of decades before I ever touched a CX-78. Heck, I probably played with a Master System controller for half a decade before using a CX-78, too.

On 6/8/2024 at 6:44 AM, MantaNZ said:

Me too! I bought the exact same lot. Sadly, Food Fight was DOA :(

Sorry to hear that.

I preordered exactly the same. I have the new paddles and third party extension leads already so I just wanted the games and the joypad, exciting as I've never even held a CX78. I do have a loose Food Fight cart, but happy to have it CIB. I've only ever play Ninja Golf and Fatal Run on Atari 50. I'm not sure which I will like the best as I haven't played a ton of any of them, but right now I like Fatal Run the best. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:13 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

ATARI GAMEPAD-CX78 BOXSHOT.jpg

The CX78+ Gamepad is very, very good. It's like the CX40+, a masterpiece recreation, very impressive. I have a set of original CX78 controllers from France, although used, and this one feels *way* better. I also have a set of Best Electronics CX78 "gold" JoyPads, and the new CX78+ feels better too, although less starkly different. In particular, the CX78+ is satisfyingly clicky and the chromed logo jumps out at you. Perfection, bravo again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2024 at 5:56 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I used an NES controller for a couple of decades before I ever touched a CX-78. Heck, I probably played with a Master System controller for half a decade before using a CX-78, too.

Good for you.

• Confused 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, MrZarniwoop said:

The CX78+ Gamepad is very, very good. It's like the CX40+, a masterpiece recreation, very impressive. I have a set of original CX78 controllers from France, although used, and this one feels *way* better. I also have a set of Best Electronics CX78 "gold" JoyPads, and the new CX78+ feels better too, although less starkly different. In particular, the CX78+ is satisfyingly clicky and the chromed logo jumps out at you. Perfection, bravo again.

It's really well made. It's my new way to play Mr Run and Jump :D I thought I'd hate the d-pad with the thumb stick, but it's awesome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

Are people still waiting on these pre-orders?  I know the release dates changed a few times so I don't know what the latest update is.  I'm still waiting on a Food Fight in the central US.

I got an email today from Atari that the new items are shipping soon.  So, that's good news.  I pre-ordered 3 things, one of which is Food Fight.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

No. Everything in all territories is on time to ship 21st apart from Food Fight in Europe, which had had its release postponed

Good to know.  Because I pre-ordered them back in January.  So, when the recent email didn't show them, I was concerned.  According to the Atari website, the stand alone paddles are available now.  Also, the item page says the 4in1 multi-cart is included with the stand alone paddles.  That must be an error.

https://atari.com/products/cx30-paddle-controller

11 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what the next batch of cart releases from Atari will be.  7800 version of Desert Falcon please and how about all 5 7800 light gun games on one cart packed in with a light gun?

The light gun thing is not practical. Sinden tech would be way too expensive for these types of products and they can't guarantee everyone would be able to do the firmware update on the 2600+. Other HD-friendly tech for light guns, like sensor bars, would be too clumsy, and you'd still have the same firmware issue.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

52 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The light gun thing is not practical. Sinden tech would be way too expensive for these types of products and they can't guarantee everyone would be able to do the firmware update on the 2600+. Other HD-friendly tech for light guns, like sensor bars, would be too clumsy, and you'd still have the same firmware issue.

Maybe they could include a USB drive and instructions for the firmware updates. Or if not maybe just instructions on how to update it from the internet. This might be useful for other possible releases.

Personally I don't find a sensor bar to be too clumsy though I'm sure it would be to some. I've enjoyed using one for the Wii and the Aimtrak guns for PC. I think the Dolphinbar for PC is also well regarded, though I've never used it. 

I admit it's unlikely, or maybe not even possible. It's a fun thought though. 

• Like 1

It looks like Atari/Plaion did not find any official distributors for the new releases in The Netherlands. Bol.com (official distributor of the 2600+) does not sell the new games and accessoires 😢 Nedgame (official distributor of the400 mini) does not sell them either and also Amazon.nl does not offer them.

It is possible to buy the new games and accessoires from Amazon.de but the shipping costs are quite high. I guess none of the Dutch sellers were interested anymore?? 🙄