IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

By the wording of Flashback (LINE) I can assume there's ideas after Flashback 2 to bring a 3 or something similar on...
Maybe we'll get a Flashback 3 with full Atari 7800 compatibility? Perhaps if the Flashback 2 is successful, Atari may make a Flashback with 5200 compatibility. Then what's next in line? True Atari arcade roms in a Flashback? Atari 400/800/ST, etc. games in a Flashback?

What makes you think they'll be exclusive?  In fact, if they were to approach me, I'd make sure the E-word is nowhere near the contract unless they're paying me a LOT of money for it to be there.  I would certainly hope they wouldn't be slimy enough to think they can get away with sneaking that into a contract without reasonable compenstation.

I don't think we should be getting all worked up in speculation when we basically don't know any details yet other than what it doesn't have.  How about let's cool it for a while with all these wild-ass assumptions until we hear some real information?

The only reason I fear exclusive is because of Infogrames activity in the past with things like JoustPong etc. They don't want anyone playing with their toys unless they get $$, and really not even then.

But yes, this is all just wild speculation at this point. I'm just giving an initial reaction to what has been said thus far, like everyone else has been doing. I don't need scolded for that, I don't think. I have no idea what is really going to happen or what the real project even is. Just voicing initial concerns.

Unfortunatly, I have to agree w/ Stan on this one. As long as this is a positive for the homebrew community, it's a good thing.

I can't help but be a little worried...anyone buy a copy of Pac-Man Arcade lately? How about a Quadrun repro?

In general, I would not worry about homebrew authors signing any type of exclusive deals with Atari, Activision, or some other company, that would prevent them from offering games in cartridge form. Homebrew authors I've spoken to would refuse to sign that type of agreement, although I suppose everyone has their price. :) But 2600 programmers are doing this not for the money, but because they genuinely enjoy creating games for the 2600 and sharing them with the rest of the community. The only exclusive titles I'm aware of are new (or modified) titles that Atari specifically contracted for the Flashback 2.

..Al

As I understand it, the "NES clone on a chip" hardware is a reverse-engineered thing, and not illegal (it's been used in so many legitimate TV-game thingies it pretty much CAN'T be.) Nintendo goes after the Super Joy and whatnots because they use unlicensed ripoffs of Nintendo's software)

The writing appears to be on the wall, that the Flashback 2 is a 2600-compatible, not a 7800-compatible. That's a little disappointing to me personally, just 'cause I'd love to get something I could use in place of my 7800, with the Cuttle Cart 2 I ordered. ('specially since my 7800 ain't modded for composite video output). That's a pipe dream though, and what we are getting is still pretty damn nifty. If the FB2 is what it appears to be here, I'll probably get at least two (to allow for mistakes/losses adding a cart slot.) and hope for the possibility of the same being done for the 7800 in the future.

(hmm... maybe I DO need a Kroko cart)

As I understand it, the "NES clone on a chip" hardware is a reverse-engineered thing, and not illegal (it's been used in so many legitimate TV-game thingies it pretty much CAN'T be.) Nintendo goes after the Super Joy and whatnots because they use unlicensed ripoffs of Nintendo's software)

The writing appears to be on the wall, that the Flashback 2 is a 2600-compatible, not a 7800-compatible. That's a little disappointing to me personally, just 'cause I'd love to get something I could use in place of my 7800, with the Cuttle Cart 2 I ordered. ('specially since my 7800 ain't modded for composite video output). That's a pipe dream though, and what we are getting is still pretty damn nifty. If the FB2 is what it appears to be here, I'll probably get  at least two (to allow for mistakes/losses adding a cart slot.) and hope for the possibility of the same being done for the 7800 in the future.

(hmm... maybe I DO need a Kroko cart)

Yea, a future 7800 version is possible... especially with the wording of "line of flashback units" as in quite a few :)

Homebrew authors I've spoken to would refuse to sign that type of agreement, although I suppose everyone has their price.

Does anyone know what the homebrewers are being offered for their work? Is it just the opportunity to expose their hard work to the masses or is there actual financial reimbersment?

I think this is really great personally. I mean even great great homebrews have limited exposure. Looks at Thrust + I think at one time Thomas said 200 had been sold (Im sure that # has grown ) but that was considered good at the time, and many more people enjoyed it via emulation lets say 1000 people got to play the goodness that is Thrust +. Now imagine if Thrust + was on the flashback, how many units of that were sold? Over 500,000 I know. WOW!

The only reason I fear exclusive is because of Infogrames activity in the past  with things like JoustPong etc.  They don't want anyone playing with their toys unless they get $$, and really not even then.

Protecting their own trademarks is vastly different from tricking homebrewers into an exclusive license on the cheap. The problem I have here isn't really with the speculation, it's the wild-ass-ness of it. If the speculation had some sort of logical basis, it wouldn't be so annoying.

Protecting their own trademarks is vastly different from tricking homebrewers into an exclusive license on the cheap.  The problem I have here isn't really with the speculation, it's the wild-ass-ness of it.  If the speculation had some sort of logical basis, it wouldn't be so annoying.

A lot of people are excited at the prospect of this release because it is supposed to be a departure from all previous plug and plays (except the C64 one) and can potentially be modded into a working VCS that accepts legacy software. I do agree with you that some of the speculation is pretty out there, but I've found it amusing so far. When we get to thread 100 about Flashback 2, it will probably be on my nerves as well. I wish the Flashbacks had their own forum. There've been more than enough threads about them already. :ponder: *Prods Albert with a taser to get the new forums up and running already* :P

I personally do not understand why people are so psyched about Atari putting out something they can convert into a working VCS. It's cheaper to buy a real one and there are plenty of fun mods than can be done to a real VCS and there are also a handful of options for playing every game on the real hardware that even someone like me who likes to tinker and only has a working knowledge of solid state hardware can understand and use.

I personally do not understand why people are so psyched about Atari putting out something they can convert into a working VCS.  It's cheaper to buy a real one and there are plenty of fun mods than can be done to a real VCS...

1) Battery life. The chips used in a genuine 2600 are (IIRC) NMOS and TTL, which were never designed to be low-power. The Flashback will use modern ASICs, which should be low-power, especially if the FB2 is battery powered, as most of these all-in-one devices are.

2) Form factor. Right now, the dimensions of a 2600 portable are determined by the piece of circuit board that you cut from an old 2600. (with the exception of the VCSp board, but that's also a similar size) And it will already have a proper A/V output without having to muss with a bunch of extra components.

3) Cost. Once these things get blown out as they inevitably will, they should be easier and cheaper to find for most people than a real 2600.

I personally do not understand why people are so psyched about Atari putting out something they can convert into a working VCS.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, and I'm making a few assumptions here myself, though they seem pretty solid assumptions. If it's already got composite out (seems likely), if it's got a place to add a cart slot (unofficially confirmed), if it's got a nice small board (seems likely), then it's the perfect basis for the home made portable I've been wanting to build withoug having to destroy a working VCS - and without as much mod work to be done thrown into the bargain.

Also of course, a lot of us just like to tinker with stuff for no reason than to see what we can get it to do.

-S

I personally do not understand why people are so psyched about Atari putting out something they can convert into a working VCS.  It's cheaper to buy a real one and there are plenty of fun mods than can be done to a real VCS...

1) Battery life. The chips used in a genuine 2600 are (IIRC) NMOS and TTL, which were never designed to be low-power. The Flashback will use modern ASICs, which should be low-power, especially if the FB2 is battery powered, as most of these all-in-one devices are.

IIRC Flashback 1 was AC powered like an old Atari would have been and did not have batteries. Flashback 2 is probably going to be the same. I have one at home someone lent to me. I used the plug to power this thing. Does anyone have one in front of them right now who can confirm this, or am I mistaken?

2) Form factor.  Right now, the dimensions of a 2600 portable are determined by the piece of circuit board that you cut from an old 2600.  (with the exception of the VCSp board, but that's also a similar size)  And it will already have a proper A/V output without having to muss with a bunch of extra components.

Have you ever seen a TV Boy game system before? It's roughly the same dimensions as a Flashback 1. It's PAL standard, but should be easy enough to MOD for someone into that sort of thing. I can take some close up pictures and open it up for you if you'd like.

I personally do not understand why people are so psyched about Atari putting out something they can convert into a working VCS.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, and I'm making a few assumptions here myself, though they seem pretty solid assumptions. If it's already got composite out (seems likely), if it's got a place to add a cart slot (unofficially confirmed), if it's got a nice small board (seems likely), then it's the perfect basis for the home made portable I've been wanting to build withoug having to destroy a working VCS - and without as much mod work to be done thrown into the bargain.

Also of course, a lot of us just like to tinker with stuff for no reason than to see what we can get it to do.

-S

What he said... I want one so I can chop it up and not have to ruin a real atari.

It's cheaper to buy a real one and there are plenty of fun mods than can be done to a real VCS and there are also a handful of options for playing every game on the real hardware that even someone like me who likes to tinker and only has a working knowledge of solid state hardware can understand and use.

The Flashback uses Vaccuum Tubes?

Talk about retro. [/b]

It's cheaper to buy a real one and there are plenty of fun mods than can be done to a real VCS and there are also a handful of options for playing every game on the real hardware that even someone like me who likes to tinker and only has a working knowledge of solid state hardware can understand and use.

Talk about retro.

How do you get that from what I wrote :?

Talk about retro.

How do you get that from what I wrote :?

Its just your turn... :lol:

How do you get that from what I wrote  :?

NES on a stick and whatever it is going to be in the next Flashback is Solid State. the Original VCS was solid State as well.

Solid State refers to printed electronic circuitry technology that doesn't utilize gas-filled vaccuum tubes.

from www.answers.com:

solid state

Pertaining to circuits where signals pass through solid semiconductor material such as transistors and diodes as opposed to vacuum tubes where signals pass through a vacuum.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Stingray... I think this is a promising solution to the VCSp scene. Depending on how well old carts will run on this system. It is very interesting. I will buy one as soon as it comes out just to see what is what.

First... I must go back to figuring out what to do about my ebay deal that went sour (bought an Atari with 30 games or so. The reason I bought it: Chase the Chuckwagon). Open it up today and do not get a Chase the Chuckwagon. Everything but that. :x )

How do you get that from what I wrote  :?

NES on a stick and whatever it is going to be in the next Flashback is Solid State. the Original VCS was solid State as well.

Solid State refers to printed electronic circuitry technology that doesn't utilize gas-filled vaccuum tubes.

from www.answers.com:

solid state

Pertaining to circuits where signals pass through solid semiconductor material such as transistors and diodes as opposed to vacuum tubes where signals pass through a vacuum.

I know what solid state, electromechanical and pure mechanical machines are. :wink:

You still didn't answer my question. Reread what I actually said before you step in it further. :wink:

I did read it.

You said your knowledge of solid state allowed you to be able to tinker with a real VCS. This much we know is true.

That also seems to make the point that to tinker with a Flashback, you would need knowledge of something OTHER THAN solid state.

So I made a joke about vaccuum tubes, you misinterpreted it, and well...now I have to go through the labor of explaining it to you.

I did read it.

You said your knowledge of solid state allowed you to be able to tinker with a real VCS. This much we know is true.

That also seems to make the point that to tinker with a Flashback' date=' you would need knowledge of something OTHER THAN solid state.

Recheck your logic. It does not add up. I neither stated nor implied that the technology is going to be something other than solid state. I never implied anything about the Flashback. I never even mentioned anything about the internal components of the Flashback.

So I made a joke about vaccuum tubes, you misinterpreted it, and well...now I have to go through the labor of explaining it to you.

No, you made a comment that made no sense, I called you on it and you still haven't processed what I wrote.