IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffy Arensmeyer:

My only other choice then would be to follow the suggested path and only count the scorpions represented by white dots on the map. But should I count the ones that you would have to backtrack to get to? Beyond that, it would almost become a matter of opinion as to which scorpions could be harmful.

Never means absolutely never!

Or:

You can try whatever you want (or: go wherever you can), they won't be harmful.

This is no matter of opinion.

quote:

I don't think I'm
a step ahead of you
. When I spoke of the anagram, I meant that
Native Sojourns
is an
anagram
of the
answer
for the "south of the border" clue

Damn, and I thought that might help me with the braille anagram. I had answered the number code question before and was hoping the clue should help solving the braille anagram.

Ok, 8 hours until Ben's next clue. Hopefully this time for the braille anagram.

Sorry I couldn't help with the braille anagram. It's got us all stumped I think.

I've got a long drive home, so I'll ponder the scorpion situation. It's just not apparent to me right now.

Hopefully Ben will shed some light on the braille anagram, without giving it all away at once. So far, his clues have been just enough to keep everyone interested in trying, but not so much that he ended the contest quickly.

More later,

ò¿ó

quote:

Sorry I couldn't help with the braille anagram. It's got us
all stumped
I think.

Looks so. Ben, can you verify this?

quote:

Hopefully Ben will shed
some light
on the braille anagram, without
giving it all away at once
. So far, his clues have been just enough to
keep everyone interested in trying
, but not so much that he
ended the contest quickly

Yes, the clues are all very clever selected.

And I like challenges, else I wouldn't program for thew 2600.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Harry moved over to Rhonda's dresser and lifted the lid to the wooden music box he found there. As he glanced inside, a familiar tune began to play. It was a circus tune, a melody his father hummed to himself whenever he was in one of his lighter moods. For all Harry knew, his father had been humming that tune from the time he was still in the cradle. Harry stared numbly down at the specimen bags, lost in thought.

Harry Jr.: I know that song like I know my own name! But I'll be darned if I can tell you what it is. Anna... any ideas?

Anna: I've heard it before, too. From an old movie, I think. I'm not really sure. But Harry, we have a bigger problem on our hands right now.

Harry Jr.: Oh, really?

Anna: Look at these specimen bags. They're ancient! There's only two of them here, and both are badly deteriorated.

Harry Jr.: It gets worse, Anna. One of the bags has a big hole in it. Looks like only one of us is going to make it up to the plateau unless we can find another bag somewhere.

Anna: Or something to patch that hole. Let's take another look in your father's cabin.

Harry and Anna hurry back to Pitfall Harry's cabin. They find nothing, except for the large oak desk overflowing with letters. One by one, Harry and Anna look inside each envelope, hoping one of them might contain a serviceable specimen bag or perhaps a patch.

Anna: Harry, Look! I think I found something.

Harry hurries over to Anna and reads over her shoulder. The scrap of paper she holds in front of her has only two words written on it, "RETURN JAR."

Harry Jr.: That must be the pickle jar we found in the crib. I wonder who's expecting it back?

Anna: Harry, I'm looking at this, and to me it says, "RAJ TURNER" or "RETURN RAJ." Do you think that could mean anything?

Harry Jr.: Hmmm... I remember Father saying something a long time ago about finding a Raj's priceless diamond ring on one of his expeditions. Yet I don't recall that he ever showed it to me. I thought he may have just been bragging.

Anna:Your father's much too self-confident to brag.

Harry Jr.: True...

Harry stood silent once again, deep in thought.

Harry Jr.: Anna, I've got it! The raj... I mean the jar... the label is shaped like...

Anna & Harry (in unison): ... like a DIAMOND!

Anna: Yes! And the label says "Notes." Notes, Stone. Diamond dealers call them stones. Why didn't I see that before?

Harry Jr.: Maybe you were too busy patting yourself on the back for taking cheap shots at me to think clearly. Well, I just unravelled this little mystery one step ahead of A Hangar Man. How do you like them apples?

While Anna fumed to herself, Harry doubled back to Rhonda's cabin. Raising the heavy jar from the crib, Harry threw it forcefully onto the deck. The jar exploded into a pile of splinters.

Harry Jr.: I don't get it. Where's the ring? There isn't anything here.

Anna: Did you check under the lining of the lid, Apple Boy?

Harry paused to grimmace theatrically back at Anna before reaching into the cradle to retreive the lid. It was an odd blend of anticipation and reluctance coursing through him as he slowly peeled back the inner lining. When the edge of what proved to be a small stack of cards was first exposed, Harry's wince of agony was impossible to suppress. Once again, Anna had been right.

Anna: Well... what is it?

Harry Jr.: No ring. It's just four playing cards.

ThreeClad.pngElderChat.pngReadTheCL.pngRedChalet.png

Anna: And no diamond.

---------------------------------

Next Clue to be posted 48 hours from the time of this post, unless a First Prize winner is announced.

quote:

If I'm more that 1 or 2 numbers away from the answer, then
I'm totally lost as to the correct solution

Sorry but you are.

Question: How many scorpions can harm you, if you really try very hard that they get a chance? What about the rest?

Hm, I think most of us alread thought about RAJ, RETURN, STONE etc. already, so I don't see how this will help us. I couldn't make any senseful sentence out of this. Just something like:

edited :wink:

But all make no sence, because I couldn't find anything in the manual e.g. about the previous owner of stone.

Now lets see how the cards may help here.

I only noticed a few things so far about the cards. On the joker card, the joker is holding 4 cards (club, diamond, spade & heart). Three of these cards are showing but no diamond? A coincidence???? Also, top left shows "how?" and bottom left shows "who?" I'm sure the order has something to do with it. Also, when you save the cards as bitmaps, notice the name of each file. Very interesting.

Once again, I'm living in the past. The whole scorpion ordeal is driving me nuts. :?

Here's my latest (and maybe lamest) theory...

Using Ben "Frank Gorshin" Valdes' map...

pifall_scorpion_solve.gif

Now, the latest clue. Surely the file names of each image has something to do with it. :shock:

As I develop ideas and theories about the cards, I'll post them here. 8)

Sound good? :D

ò¿ó

quote:

My total?
??
that are trapped in the code forever, never to harm Harry

Sound right?!? I
hope
so. If not,
ugh, ugh,
ugh
!

I won't say that you are wrong this time.

But you shouldn't post the answer here on the board if you want to win a cart. Maybe you should edit the number right now.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by lonesome_pa:

Also, top left shows "how?" and bottom left shows "who?"

So now we know four words from the anagram for sure:

WHO, RAJ, RETURN and STONE.

With the few letters left, it shoudn't be a big problem to get the anagram. But I can't.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

So now we know four words from the anagram for sure:

WHO, RAJ, RETURN and STONE.

With the few letters left, it shoudn't be a big problem to get the anagram. But I can't.

You know a fifth word, too. I'll give you HARRY. That leaves even fewer words for you to consider.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

You know a fifth word, too. I'll give you HARRY. That leaves even fewer words for you to consider.

Ben

Thanks, but I have tried all that (in- and excluding Harry) for days now without any result.

And I also tried with variations of the words: RETURN, RETURNS, RETURNED

STONE, STONES

No success.

BTW: A question to all: The sentence "How do you like them apple?" is that correct english? Does it mean "Do you like apples?" or what?

I believe the idiom is "how do you like them apples". I found the meaning is "do you like this better? do you like that choice?" An example would be "If you don't like the bed, you can sleep on the floor. How do you like them apples? " Here is the site I found:

http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/.../idioms315.html

quote:

Originally posted by lonesome_pa:

I believe the idiom is "how do you like them apples". I found the meaning is "do you like this better? do you like that choice?" An example would be "If you don't like the bed, you can sleep on the floor. How do you like them apples? "

Thanks, now that makes more sense for me.

quote:

It's always been
my impression
that the phrase meant "
a lot of money
", almost as if it were an
excessive amount
. Surely, it's origins come from some
long told, obscure story
, but that's what it typically means these days.

Thanks!

You're giving that anagram generator a serious work-out, aren't you?      

Not that web based one, I found a program (Wordplay) that does this much more efficient. But that didn't help too.

How about this:

Q: Who does Harry return the stone rat to?

A: To a large university!

Is the question a correct english sentence?

All I did was replacing the J with a T (according to the Joker card J is a wild letter). And there is no diamond in the question!

I have thought about this question more than two weeks ago, because the rat is the only thing where I know, where it should be returned to. But without the newest hint of Ben, I had no idea that I could replace letters in the anagram.

But I think, all questions should be solvable without the additional hints, so I'm still quite sure I'm wrong. Or did anybody find a clue on the map, thas allows replacing characters?

This is maybe my very last try before I give up.

...until the next clue.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Dude, you just freaked me out. From the time I read your post to time time it took me to reply with quotes, you edited your post. So when it included your text as a quote, there was a lot more text than I had just finished reading! I backed out and noticed your changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

How about this:

Q:
Who does Harry return the stone rat to?

A:
To a large university!

Is the question a correct english sentence?

Typically, it is accepted. But for hard-core grammatics freaks, it is wrong. You should never end a sentence with a preposition. (to, from, etc.)

Your sentence makes sense and is commonly written that way, but the grammatically correct version would be "To whom does Harry return the stone rat?" or mine would be "To whom does Harry return the raj stone?"

Ben is very attentive to detail, but I'm not sure his views on such grammatical correctness. (Is that even a word?)

So far, I've got nothing. This is probably going to drag out as long as Ben can keep us here.

And Mr. Q*bert has been silent for a very long time as well. Hmmmm....

ò¿ó

quote:

Your sentence makes sense and is
commonly written that way
, but the
grammatically correct version
would be "
To whom does Harry return the stone rat?
" or mine would be "
To whom does Harry return the raj stone?
"

Yes, whom sounds múch better, but unfortunately I couldn't find any M.

Is stone-age rat, not a stone rat. If it was was made of stone ite couldnt run away from when Harry chases it. I reely think iits TO WHO DOES HARRY RETURN THE RAJ STONE? Diamond label on jar must mean raj diamond.

Joker letters are puzzling. Meybe WILD letters are "wild goose chase"? Pitfall Ben seems to put some confusion into every clue. But meybe they mean more else???

Dave

quote:

Ben is very
attentive to detail
, but I'm not sure his views on such
grammatical correctness
. (Is that even a word?)

I believe I've addressed this concern earlier in this thread (ref.: P. 15, 05-26-2002 11:10 AM).

And yes, grammatical and correctness are both valid words, as is the phrase you've formed by their juxtaposition.

quote:

So far, I've got nothing. This is probably going to drag out
as long as Ben can keep us here

Actually, I'd like to see this contest come to an end as much as anyone else. Do you have any idea how time consuming it is for me to keep writing these clues?

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Actually, I'd like to see this contest come to an end as much as anyone else. Do you have any idea how time consuming it is for me to keep writing these clues?

Don't complain!

I bet, the contestants together have invested much more time into this contest than you did. And don't forget the frustration factor when you are stuck.

IMO, you are on the lucky side.

quote:

Originally posted by Q*bert:

Is stone-age rat, not a stone rat. If it was was made of stone ite couldnt run away from when Harry chases it.

I know, but it's the only question, where I could imagine an answer.

I reely think iits TO WHO DOES HARRY RETURN THE RAJ STONE? Diamond label on jar must mean raj diamond.

Most likely you are right. But i'm sure you have been desperately searching for an answer for that question without success too.

Joker letters are puzzling. Meybe WILD letters are "wild goose chase"?  Pitfall Ben seems to put some confusion into every clue. But meybe they mean more else???

Definitely! But there must be a link to the original map page. I'm sure this riddle must also be solvable without the lastest clue. Ben wouldn't cheat us that way.

We still have the ring and the key hidden in the map without any purpose yet.