IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

Wow. You do love the big words, don't you?

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Actually, I'd like to see this contest come to an end as much as anyone else. Do you have any idea how time consuming it is for me to keep writing these clues?

As much as I can sympathize with the time required to put all of this together, I can only believe that there is some great pleasure you derive from doing it all yourself.

Much for the very same reason, we all openly discuss our views on this very topic here in these forums.

By the way; You don't use very many emoticons/graemlins. Does that mean you are irritated, or that's just "not your bag, baby"? Just curious. Some don't, some do.

Thanx for the reply. You can rest assured I'll be on my dinky 56K modem on Saturday night.

ò¿ó

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffy Arensmeyer:

You can
rest assured
I'll be on my dinky 56K modem on
Saturday night

Well, that's 7:00 am on a Sunday morning for me. My 56k modem won't get up that early.

So use your advantage wisely.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

So use your advantage wisely.

You are so funny, Thomas. I've not gotten a clue yet that didn't take more than an entire day to solve.

Much like my card fiasco, I'll be working on it while trying to get the new clue.

Thanx again to everyone for talking about your ideas and theories. As soon as I have some worthwhile ones myself, I'll get them posted.

ò¿ó

I never use a big word when a diminutive one will do.

Irritated... ME? If I were any more easy-going, I'd be dead. I simply prefer using words to express myself rather than depend on a bunch of animated, smiley who-hah's.

All I meant was: I'm anxious to see this contest come to an end. I wasn't complaining.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

I simply prefer using
words
to express myself rather than depend on a bunch of animated, smiley who-hah's.

And I have to use those smileys to make sure, everybody understands what I mean.

All I meant was: I'm anxious to see this contest come to an end.  I wasn't complaining.[/QB]

For me: Complain + = Anxious

Anna: Hmmm. If J, O, K, E and R are all wild letters, that must mean the Joker itself is wild.

Harry Jr.: Right. But everyone knows Jokers are wild.

Anna: Why would your father feel the need to spell it out like that, letter by letter?

Harry Jr.: He wouldn't, unless...

Anna: Unless it was meant as a deception?

Harry Jr.: Exactly! Anna, I think we can safely ignore all five of the Joker's letters.

Anna: Maybe. Or maybe the joker means the J-Jack and the K-King are wild.

Harry Jr.: Then we've been dealt four queens. Interesting. But what could it mean? And what about the three suit letters?

Anna: I don't know. That part of it makes no sense at all. You'd think the Spade, Club and Heart letters would be S, C and H. But K, Q and J are what they point to.

Harry Jr.: Maybe that part of it means nothing. More deception, perhaps.

Anna: Maybe. But for some reason I have a feeling the missing suit, the Diamond, is not missing by accident. And I believe, somehow, the Queen holds the answer.

Harry Jr.: You keep trying to wrap your head around this, Anna. I'm going back to Father's cabin to search the mess in there. Maybe one of those letters will reveal something this crazy set of cards doesn't.

Anna: No, wait. I'll go with you.

Back again in his father's cabin, Harry Jr. digs methodically through the heap of letters on his father's desk. Meanwhile, Anna makes a discovery on the opposite side of the cabin.

Anna: Harry, look at this basket. I found it under your father's bed. Inside, there's a golden rope!

Harry Jr.: That's charming, Anna. But can we stop playing Treasure Hunt for just a minute and help me look for something to patch Rhonda's specimen bags with?

Anna: Alright, alright. I don't suppose you care about this flute I found in there either?

Harry didn't answer. He was distracted now with a discovery of his own.

Harry Jr.: Anna, I think I found what we've been looking for. Inside this letter from Activision... Patches!

Anna: They're clothing patches, Harry. Do you really think they'll adhere to specimen bag rubber?

Harry Jr.: There's only one way to find out.

They were standing topside now, on the deck of Native Sojourns. Anna nodded to Harry. She had to hand it to him. Ironing the patches onto the bags, sealing them by vulcanization, was a stroke of genius. It made her think maybe Harry Jr. was his father's son afterall.

When the bags were fully inflated, Harry made a final check to ensure they were fastened securely to the basket. It was the basket that Anna had found earlier in Harry's cabin, and it was just large enough to accommodate both of them if they remained standing throughout the flight.

The little boat pitched violently in the rushing river current. Anna and Harry clambered quickly into the basket. When they were safely inside, Harry untied the golden rope which tethered them to the deck. The makeshift balloon took to the air as Harry watched the rope fall into a golden coil onto the deck below.

It was at just that moment Anna had a small surprise for Harry. Withdrawing the flute she'd found earlier, she played a lighthearted melody. Harry laughed out loud when he heard it. Anna smiled as she played. It was the same tune the music box played when they found Rhonda's specimen bags, the tune Harry knew so well but could not name to save his life. Now, it was the music that lifted their spirits as twin balloons lifted them off Native Sojourns and up over the waves.

Anna: Harry, look out! Bats! They're attacking the balloons!!!

Harry Jr: I know. Keep playing, Anna. The music scrambles their internal echo location mechanism. As long as you keep playing that tune, the bats will be flying blind. We should be able to dodge them easily enough by shifting our weight.

Anna played on. As their balloon craft continued to climb, so too did her respect for the younger Harry's ingenuity.

Harry Jr.: We're almost there, Anna. I can see the cliff Plateau. And there's the Red Chalet.

Upon hearing the phrase, "Red Chalet," Anna's flute fell silent. Her mind whipped through thousands of letter combinations at unimaginable speed. Elder Chat, The Cradle, Three Clad... each phrase paraded before her eyes in a fraction of a second. Harry had mentioned all of them before. Suddenly, a fourth re-ordering occurred to her, something neither of them had considered. But it involved a two-letter abbreviation. LC or CL. Maybe it was nothing. She was about to tell Harry about it when a loud pop! startled her from her reverie. In the silence of her thoughts, a bat had homed in on their balloon and exploded it. Luckily, they had just cleared the cliff plateau when it happened, and they fell harmlessly a mere two feet to the ground below. The balloon was beyond all hope of repair, but at least they'd made it! Harry and Anna scrambled out of the basket and ran toward the Red Chalet as fast as their legs could carry them.

---------------------------------

Next Clue to be posted 48 hours from the time of this post, unless a First Prize winner is announced.

Ben

I beg to differ, with you, my friend.

How individuals portray themselves and how their ego really feels are two different states.

And the dashes are needed to link the phrase, but are not required; (self ego-serving).

As far as the clue, it eludes to the file naming that Q*bert and I pointed out previously. :

Now, understanding the new clue is and entirely different story.

And "Thank You" for the trail of emoticons. They make me think you really do care.

ò¿ó

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: Jeffy Arensmeyer ]

Here are my latest thoughts:

IMO, the flute, rope and basket are clear hints to the secret 2nd level in Pitfall II (5200 and 8 Bit only). Maybe the question is about how the escape from that level works.

Unfortunately I have never be able to play that version, all my informations have to come from the web. There I found, that the flute and the rope play a major role when exiting/finishing the 2nd level.

I noticed the word clue in the map of that level long time ago.

But still I have no clue.

Ben, you are a master of confusion, without a doubt.

I've got some serious pondering to do over this last clue. (means I don't have a clue)

On a side note, Ben, please allow me to ask you some questions:

• How much of this material did you have previously prepared?

• At what point during the forum clues did you have to start writing this stuff on the fly?

• How long have you wanted to do all of this before someone found the first clues?

• After this is over and you take a break, will you have another contest similar to this one?

I'm just curious because we all can tell that you are really enthusiastic about this. It's got to take a ton of preparation to do all this, but It's fun for everyone.

Thanx again for doing all of this and fronting prizes too. Fun stuff like this happens too rarely, so it's nice to be a part of it.

Thomas, I'm lost with this last clue. What are your thoughts? And where is Stan and Q*bert and the rest of gang? It's getting tough in here.

Thanx,

ò¿ó

I just figured out the number question!

Unfortunately I'm out of the running. I've figured out all 3 questions... I submitted a correct answer for the box question, an INCORRECT answer for the Braille question (still kicking myself), and I just submitted an answer to the number question... Ben hasn't confirmed it but I'm fairly confident it is right after SEVERAL HOURS of research.

I'm incredibly anxious to see a resolution to all of this, now that I'm out of the woods but also OUT OF THE CONTEST!

Don't submit your answers until you're SURE they're right. And also be sure to reread Ben's recent clues closely.

Good luck to everyone who's still in it!

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

BTW, I'm not trying to brag about what I've done. I'm just really anxious to see how this all plays out!

...Then again, it was that same anxiousness that made me hastily submit a wrong answer to the Braille question!

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Originally posted by room34:

...Then again, it was that same anxiousness that made me hastily submit a wrong answer to the Braille question!

Still it looks like you are the only one who knows the correct Braille question and answer. Is that true?

Must be funny for you to see us struggeling.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Still it looks like you are the only one who knows the correct Braille question and answer. Is that true?

Yes, I guess I am the only person besides Ben who knows all 3 questions and answers. And it is tough to watch!

Good luck... someone figure it out fast!

Does anyone else have the box and number questions answered yet?

Here's what I've discovered...

• Pitfall! II for the 5200 and computers had a second, more difficult level named The Adventurer's Level.

• There were four new items the be discovered:

» golden rope

» basket

» flute

» Swami/Rope Charmer

• The game had an actual ending sequence

If you could find the first three items and return them to the Swami, you could see the ending of the game.

The Swami/Charmer would cause the rope to rise out of the basket, to the cavern ceiling, where an opening would appear. Harry, Rhonda, Quickclaw and the Raj Diamond would ascend the rope to the outside surface.

That's about all I know for now. The second quest was actually programmed by someone other than David Crane (Mike Lorenzen).

Nowhere can I find anything that indicates Harry tosses the diamond back into the pit "to the Swami".

This entire "ending sequence" surely has something to do with the question and answer, but how? (or who?)

ò¿ó