IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

I was interested (still am) and able to try this up until you started getting all techincal. i dont have all that knowledge to do that.

I think it's not to technical. I didn't know anything about e.g. Braille code before. You only have to search the web. All the info is out there.

And solving anagrams should be much easier for native English speakers than for me. I'm already very proud that I solved the small (red/blue) one.

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

I was interested (still am) and able to try this up until you started getting all techincal. i dont have all that knowledge to do that. i think thats why only 2 or 3 are still going on this challange. I think this is way harder than anyone ever thought it would be. there was alot of people doing it when we thought it was in the gmae that could be picked up. when it started going though bits and code and all i wonder how many can do that on this site. i wish you guys luck the ones who know how to do this.

This is an unfortunate conclusion, because all the "computer technical stuff" concerning the map has already been figured out. The details have been posted in this thread by your fellow Pitfall! adventurers. You need only go through the thread carefully and read what they've already written and apply a little common sense to put the pieces together. If you give that an honest effort, you will find yourself caught up to the leaders of the pack in no time.

Nobody has won anything. The frontrunners are stumped for the moment, but that won't last too long. They're clever. So here now are a few extra clues to give you a running start and help you catch up to them...

Tips From Pitfall Harry:

- Two or three people, working together, can almost certainly outsmart the brightest problem-solvers who work alone.

- Logic and order is everything. Think about how things are ordered, how they are unordered and the methods you used to bring things into order whenever you make a little progress. It may well be that HOW you solved one problem is one of the keys to solving another.

- This challenge is HARD, but not impossible. You shouldn't get discouraged if a day or two goes by without making noticeable progress.

"The crypt is not only in the cradle, it is printed RIGHT HERE IN THIS POST IN BLACK & WHITE for all who have eyes to see it."

- A mystic

Good Luck!

Ben

Ben, did you mean black & grey? Looks like you timed your post wrong. :-)

Thomas wrote:

quote:

And solving anagrams should be much easier for native English speakers than for me. I'm already very proud that I solved the small (red/blue) one.

IS the red/blue thing just an anagram?!? If so, I'm not reading the characters correctly, because there aren't enough vowels to make sense of anything...

Still haven't had time to focus on this, and I found something odd in my attempt to answer the boxes question that I'll need to look into.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

IS the red/blue thing just an anagram?!? If so, I'm not reading the characters correctly, because there aren't enough vowels to make sense of anything...

First you have to decode the text, then reread Ben's tips and then finding the correct anagram should be easy for you.

For decoding the text, you should wonder, why there are two different colors used.

... I found something odd in my attempt to answer the boxes question that I'll need to look into.

Sounds interesting.

Maybe I found my (correct!) answer the wrong (unordered?) way...

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

- Two or three people, working together, can almost certainly outsmart the brightest problem-solvers who work alone.

Sure, but nobody is really alone here.

Without the help of others, I would not have got so far.

- Logic and order is everything.  Think about how things are ordered, how they are unordered and the methods you used to bring  things into order whenever you make a little progress. It may well be that HOW you solved one problem is one of the keys to solving another.

That's the point I still don't get. I know that the clues/hints and questions are ordered on the map, but I could find any order in the process of solving the problems.

- This challenge is HARD, but not impossible.  You shouldn't get discouraged if a day or two goes by without making noticeable progress.

It IS tough. It took me more than just two days, to finally decode the number code. And I'm still struggleing to find the correct question inside the original Braille anagram.

"The crypt is not only in the cradle, it is printed RIGHT HERE IN THIS POST IN BLACK & WHITE for all who have eyes to see it."

I bet there is more in this sentence, than the obvious part.

Here is my status...

Still trying??----usually atleast 4+ hours a day

# of questions found that make sense? 0

# of answers? 0

# of hair fallen out from this? tooo many to count

Days until I give up? not until the whole thing is over.. i wont quit.. even though I feel I am currently at the back of the pack.

Thomas,

I was interested (still am) and able to try this up until you started getting all techincal. i dont have all that knowledge to do that. i think thats why only 2 or 3 are still going on this challange. I think this is way harder than anyone ever thought it would be. there was alot of people doing it when we thought it was in the gmae that could be picked up. when it started going though bits and code and all i wonder how many can do that on this site. i wish you guys luck the ones who know how to do this.

I wish someone would just figure it out! I have given up twice and I don't want to get started on it a third time!

Well... it IS a holiday weekend coming up. Maybe it's time for another all-night marathon exploration of the mind of Ben!

Thomas wrote:

quote:

First you have to decode the text, then reread Ben's tips and then finding the correct anagram should be easy for you.

For decoding the text, you should wonder, why there are two different colors used.

I can't find a pattern though, and trying to think of the reds and the blues separately don't yield anything more.

I notice that some characters are "indeterminate" of direction, while others require orientation in one way to be valid, but this isn't consistent by color. So that's kind of why I'm stumped.

quote:

Maybe I found my (correct!) answer the wrong (unordered?) way...

Unordered?

It occurs to me that I never did figure out how the two series of numbers helped you for the boxes question -- I got a legit question without reordering them into the separate sequences... It's just that something doesn't seem entirely kosher when I try to answer it. Haven't looked deeper yet; I might have just missed something, or the map might be confusing me.

Oh, well, you've got a commanding lead at this point I think, despite all the help you've given others. Nice going! :-)

Mystic: Where are you going in such great haste, Journeyman?

Harry Jr.: I have reason to believe Father is in grave trouble. I'm off to the jungle. He may need my help. Ms. Graham is coming with me.

Mystic: That is wise. Anna sees things others would surely miss.

Harry Jr.: Yes. Well, I must be going now.

Mystic: I must warn you... there are many pitfalls in the jungle. How well can you swim?

Harry Jr.: Father taught me everything I know. I am an excellent swimmer. But Anna, I am afraid, is not.

Mystic: That is most unfortunate. When you are in the jungle, survival depends on the ability to see everything. Even when you are underwater.

Harry Jr.: What are you getting at, Mystic?

Mystic: I have a swimming lesson for you. Behold.

SwimsWater.gif

Harry Jr.: Your chart says SWIMS WATER SWIMS. So what?

Mystic: Now take this looking glass. What do you see now?

Harry Jr.: It's from Ra's Glassworks.

Mystic: Yes. Now hold the chart at arm's length and the the glass midway from chart to eye. Look through the glass. When it comes into focus, tell me what you see.

Harry Jr: I see something impossible! How can a glass alter one word but not another?

Mystic: That is your lesson. Good luck.

Harry Jr. I HATE you!

Ben

It has been brought to my attention -- by more than one contestant -- that one of the clues/questions found in this contest may contain a critical grammatical error. I feel it is necessary at this time to make the following statements:

1. The clue about the "Scorpion's Tale" contains a deliberate use of a homophonic ambiguity, which may be considered to be a misspelling.

2. The clue concerning what one "must scrutinize" is stripped of all punctuation (not to mention vowels). Because of the clue's lack of a necessary comma, it may be considered to be grammatically incorrect.

The examples cited above demonstrate that I have taken some license with the English language. In both cases, the grammatical "errors" in the clues were willful decisions on my part. I permitted them to make the meaning of the clues a little less transparent to the problem solver.

Although it is generally true that I strive for linguistic correctness whenever and wherever possible, it is not outside the realm of possibility that other clues/questions contained within this contest may include a grammar or spelling error. Should you happen upon such an "error," rest assured that it was carefully considered, and that it would NOT be so aggregeous as to render the clues's meaning indecipherable.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Yup, Russ and I did the "box code" and I also deciphered the "number code".

Good work. I just figured out the box code. Still workin' on the numbers.

Since I have not offered much to the group so far I will just say this: "The answer lies somewhere within." Think about this.

Pitfall Harry made this puzzle entirely self-contained. All of the clues we've been given in this forum or on his web page are just hints. Don't dwell on trying to decipher these "hints," however... solving them does not necessarily help you to solve the contest.

In fact, on my first night of working on this, I found the contest and the locations (but not the meanings) of the questions within the map before I even discovered that there were clues to its existence on his web page. Unfortunately I spent several hours burning my synapses on those clues only to get too tired to solve the real mysteries within.

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Although it is generally true that I strive for linguistic correctness whenever and wherever possible, it is not outside the realm of possibility that other clues/questions contained within this contest may include a grammar or spelling error. Should you happen upon such an "error," rest assured that it was carefully considered, and that it would NOT be so aggregeous as to render the clues's meaning indecipherable.

I hope that doesn't make it to hard to understand for me.

Or did I already solve that problem without recognizing it?

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Sorry to hear it man... I'm a little worried about the box code question myself -- I started to look into answering it, and it seemed relatively straightforward, but then I came up against a bit of a stinker, which I haven't tried to resolve yet. But it's certainly got me a bit concerned right now.

Of course, at least I'm pretty sure about that question; I still can't quite make sense of the Braille one.

And I'm still totally stumped about number code. And Ben, no more hints. I'm just looking more and more ignorant with every one. :-) Actually, I thought your last one gave me a good idea, but I still don't see it panning out at the moment. With luck I'll find something I'm missing.