IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

It sounds like you guys need another clue.

Definitely!

quote:

Okay, I'll post it tonight at 10:00 pm PDT (My local time in California, Daylight Savings Time), which is approximately 14 hours, 22 minutes from the time of THIS post.

That's 7:00 am for Germany. How about one or two hours later?

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

If you're 20 laps behind but every car in front of you has crashed

Thanks for the confidence.. lol.. but looking at how many answers I have submitted to you.... yea... Someone please get me AAA Fast!!!..

Oh.. still haven't givin up.. but I am one stumped sucka right now... grrrrrr

Sounds like a winner to me.

Thanx to Thomas for answering my previous message. You didn't have to, but you did. I'm here, just quiet.

Thanx to Pitfall Harry for offering another scrap of evidence. Anything would help right now. I'm still struggling with the "elderchat.png, prism at mid-arm, swims-water-swims" thing right now. Anything to distract me from that would be nice.

By the way; Here's my "e-companions" for all of this...

Braille

Morse Code

Anagrams

That's about it. Other than the super secret Pitfall! contestant entry and sufferage page, these are the only places I've frequented.

Are there any leads to solving the paragraph numbers that can be hinted about?" I've tried subtracting 82 from each, I've added 82 to each, used 82 as square #1, I've mirrored the whole map, I've rotated the whole map and still have no idea about the purpose of the key nor the ring.

Do I need cheap-o 3-D glasses for the whole elderchatredchaletcryptinthecradleannagrahamthreecladriddleinofgreyhangarman thing or what?

ò¿ó

As they raced past the second healing cross the underground river roared in their ears. Soon the path came to an end, and they could see the river rushing out from beneath their feet. Harry Jr. squinted his eyes to the horizon. Through the greying mist, he could just make out the outline of a small boat.

Anna: What now?

Harry Jr.: Now we swim

Anna: But there are electric eels in the river!

Harry Jr: Anna, we have no choice. The jungle natives could decide to kill my father at any time! Come on, now. Swims water swims.

Anna: Yeah, yeah.

Soggy and nearing exhaustion, Harry and Anna climb onboard Pitfall Harry's little boat, Native Sojourns. Belowdecks, they find two cozy cabins. In Harry's cabin is a large oak desk. It is stuffed with charts, maps and letters, thousands of letters from fans all over the world. Here and there are letters from home, from David Crane and from Activision.

Harry Jr.: There's too much to go through here, and not enough time. Let's see what we can find in Rhonda's cabin.

In the middle of Rhonda's cabin they find a cradle. It's painted grey with green trim.

Harry Jr.: That's funny. Rhonda never mentioned a boyfriend. I think I may be about to become an uncle.

Anna: Let's hope her child develops a better taste for colors than her mother.

Harry Jr.: Wait! There's something inside the cradle.

Anna: Boy, the apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree! No blankets, no mattress, no pillows no nothing except for a two-gallon pickel jar sitting dead-center inside the crib. Good eye, Harry.

Harry gave Anna a scornful look but decided to let it go. They'd both been through hell, and he understood there would be more to come. He bit his toungue and saved his breath.

The diamond-shaped label on the jar simply read, "Notes."

Anna: I wonder what could be in the jar.

Harry Jr.: Crib notes?

Anna: Ah, ha ha. You never meta clue you didn't like. Open it.

Harry Jr. turns the lid of the jar to open it. Inside is a note from Pitfall Harry. The note is titled, "NOTES TO HARRY."

Anna: Well? What does it say?

Harry reads the note...

At sojourn's end, a ring of clues.

Which of them holds the key?

Always count on your father's words:

The best tips come straight from me.

Taped to the bottom of the note is a key. The number 82 is stamped on it.

Next clue: 48 hours from this post, unless a winner is announced before then.

Ben

And to bring everyone up to speed...

I've finally figured out the elderchat.png, anagrammed it to get the next hint and then applied the knowledge. :D

I think I've got it answered. :)

In revisiting the "other" question, I've hit a few snags. Some web pages say 254 total and some web pages say 255 total. Of course, Pitfall Harry's page has 255 total. I've merely subtracted the screens without from the screens with and derived a number. My question is does the number end in a 0, 1, or 2? It's the single digits that are causing me problems. I've come up with a number that ends in 2, but some of the other web sites are making me paranoid about my value. smiling_to_evil-smile.gif

Still no luck with the Braille anagram clue. I know it's a question, but it's really clogging up my anagram generator, so I can't get any useful info from it. Now Harry has added pickle jars and stamped keys to the equation, so I'm not sure which way to turn now. :shock:

Of course, the elderchatredchaletjarturner comes into play again, but I'm having a tough time "envisioning" the result. :cry:

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting Pitfall Harry Jr's next verbal volley with Anna. :D

Thanx to all who have made this a really fun thread, by the way. :):D

ò¿ó

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffy Arensmeyer:

As long as the answer involves the
original version from the late 1800's
, I think I've got it answered.

The answer lies south of the border.

My question is does the number end in a 0, 1, or 2?

Sorry, but definitely all wrong.

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting Pitfall Harry Jr's next verbal volley with Anna.    

Only 31.5 hours from now.

But I doubt it will help me.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Sorry, but definitely all wrong.

What?!? Ugh. Just when you think you're on ontrack, splat!

Here's what I did...

pitfall_scorpion_count.gif

I took Zany Harry's map and elimnated every screen with a wall on it. Even according to Thomas' diasassembly of the code, you can have either a wall or a scorpion, but not both.

Now, according to the map, there are 255 different screens. Once you subtract every screen with a wall, you have 36+39+42+42+33 screens for a total of 192.

Unless there is some weird answer like "None of the scorpions can harm you if you stay above ground, so the answer is zero" or "All of the scorpions can harm you, so the answer is all", then I have no idea what's going on.

Screens with walls do not have scorpions. Thus, they are eliminated. All other screens will have a scorpion underground. As long as you are above ground, the scorpion is there, but cannot harm you, right?.

Or does this involve some convoluted calculation involing skipped screens while underground, thus reducing the numbers of scorpions that could contact Harry?

Hmmmm.... I think I may have answered my own question.

IF you are underground, that's the only way a scorpion can harm you. BUT you skip screens while underground. Hmmm...

So there are 192 total screens with scorpions, but you will only ever actually be able to touch 1/3 of those, so the answer would be a maximum of 64 total scorpions that could ever touch Harry. Does this sound right???

quote:

The answer lies south of the border

I'll take that comment and as a "yes". Thanx!

quote:

Originally posted by Q*bert:

and the journey starts somewhere within (Native Sojourns).

Talk about an anagram generator killer; That one is causing me tons o' trouble. I'm working on it, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Artie:

what does 'meta' mean?

I'm sure it refers to the meta tag clue in the html coding of the map page. "the crypt is in the cradle" is how it reads.

Hope this helps some of you and inspires others to comment. Thanx!

ò¿ó

Hmmmm....

Splat again.

The only thing I can think of is...

In order to "count" scorpions for any given number of screens, you count the total number of screens spanned (including start and finish screens), subtract 1 from that, then divide the answer by 3 due to screen-skipping, and then subtract 1 from that value to get the total number of scorpions that you actually have to jump over.

In reviewing the posts, I noticed Stan said he "made a rookie mistake". If I'm more that 1 or 2 numbers away from the answer, then I'm totally lost as to the correct solution.

ò¿ó

Thanx Thomas for letting me know if I'm "hot or cold".

Well, I can then only assume that based upon this...

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry aka Ben Valdes:

The Pitfall! Game Map contains hidden clues to help you find and interpret the three contest trivia questions hidden in the map. Those clues, by design, should be all you need.

That by counting the scorpions on the official map, that I should be able to derive a number.

From what I can tell, there are 23 scorpions on the suggested correct path and another 48 scorpions on alternate paths for a grand total of 71 potentially harmful scorpions.

Am I confident enough to officially submit this answer? Uh...no. Do I feel like I'm getting closer? I hope.

Apparently Q*bert has figured out the Native Sojourns anagram, which I finally figured out too. Q, you seem to have the right answers at the right times yourself. If you don't mind my asking, how close are you to the third and final question?

For me, I've got one question and answer for sure, a second question for sure but still trying to spiral in on an answer, and a third anagram question that I think is incomplete and must be combined with other remaining clues to complete the question and then derive the answer.

Thanx again guys. If there's anything you'd like to ask me, I'll be glad to share.

ò¿ó

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffy Arensmeyer:

That by counting the
scorpions on the official map
, that I should be able to derive a number.

Counting alone won't help. There is also some logic required.

Apparently Q*bert has figured out the Native Sojourns anagram, which I finally figured out too.

You did? So it looks like the word sojourns is inside the anagram, right?

Hm, can somebody exactly explain me, what Native Sojourns means? According to my dictionary it is a either a guest or a place whe you are. And natives are people who are originally coming from the place.

So Native Soujourns means most likely something like native "guests", right?

Could be refering to any moving obstracle in Pitfall! or Pitfall II (scorpions, logs, condors, bats, eels...)

Or does it mean, places where the natives stay`?

Or maybe, I just shouldn't help you anymore, because you are one major step in front of me now.

quote:

Counting alone won't help. There is also some logic required.

My only other choice then would be to follow the suggested path and only count the scorpions represented by white dots on the map. But should I count the ones that you would have to backtrack to get to? Beyond that, it would almost become a matter of opinion as to which scorpions could be harmful.

From what I can tell, Native Sojourns, being the name of the ship, would mean something like a temporary visitor to native people and/or lands.

quote:

Or maybe, I just shouldn't help you anymore, because you are one major step in front of me now.

I don't think I'm a step ahead of you. When I spoke of the anagram, I meant that Native Sojourns is an anagram of the answer for the "south of the border" clue. Since most anagram generators won't detect something like that, I never noticed it until Q*bert pointed it out. Cool, huh?

ò¿ó