IGNORED

Old School Order Thread

BBBW, if my understanding was correct, The 1st 50 serialized CIB were to be sold by executive producer and then all remaining serialized CIB Games after 50 + Upgrade Kits were to be sold by William. I don't believe this was ever intended to be limited to 50 only so the only thing that changed is William is allowing Executive Producer to sell 50 more due to demand and maybe even sell the upgrade kits as well due to his move. William, please correct me if I have misstated anything.

The only thing I would like to caution is the increase in homebrew prices in a short period of time - this is NOT directed at William but to the community as a whole. I'm a big supporter of all inty products, but feel that $75 is too much for a game in most instances especially when they are not limited edition, etc.. I feel that if prices can be kept even $10 lower that there would be more volume sold and more profit. Just my $.02 as don't want to see market so flooded that people have to pick and choose due to pricing. Again, please take no offense to my remarks as I'm only trying to look at big picture and offer an opinion, nothing more.

Thanks.

Joe.

• Like 1

BBBW, if my understanding was correct, The 1st 50 serialized CIB were to be sold by executive producer and then all remaining serialized CIB Games after 50 + Upgrade Kits were to be sold by William. I don't believe this was ever intended to be limited to 50 only so the only thing that changed is William is allowing Executive Producer to sell 50 more due to demand and maybe even sell the upgrade kits as well due to his move. William, please correct me if I have misstated anything.

The only thing I would like to caution is the increase in homebrew prices in a short period of time - this is NOT directed at William but to the community as a whole. I'm a big supporter of all inty products, but feel that $75 is too much for a game in most instances especially when they are not limited edition, etc.. I feel that if prices can be kept even $10 lower that there would be more volume sold and more profit. Just my $.02 as don't want to see market so flooded that people have to pick and choose due to pricing. Again, please take no offense to my remarks as I'm only trying to look at big picture and offer an opinion, nothing more.

Thanks.

Joe.

You are correct. There never was going to be a limit on the serial numbers. William was going to sell from 51+ and also sell the upgrade kits. This has Changed and I am selling the first 100 and the upgrade kits.

As far as the $75. I purchased the first 50 directly for $70 each. Yes full retail (same as William sells them) to make the box happen. William is able to sell them via credit card and keep the price at $70, I do not have a way to take credit cards. He would ship them for $12 to the US, I can ship them to the US for $5.

Sold by William will cost you $82 when paying by credit card, more if by paypal.

Sold by me costs $80 when sold by paypal.

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 1

I am glad I signed up for the carts, and equally glad upgrade kits are coming. However I do have mixed feelings about the CIB versions. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are coming but something is just not right with it. I get that the early cart versions will have a slightly different ROM with respect to the credits (no SoulBuster), and I get that the serialized versions 1-100 will have SoulBuster in the credits; but is anything going to be different about versions 101+? I hope so - not expecting major changes in gameplay or anything, just something to show it is not the early cart only version and it is different from versions 1-100 by something other than credits and serial number. I am assuming that SoulBuster will be removed from the credits for versions 101+, but then that makes the cart for those just like the early versions. Seems like the early cart only versions should be kept unique for the early adopters. Even a unique label on the carts for 101+ would be great. Kind of like the 2nd release of Jeepers Creepers had the 30th anniversary label, maybe Old School carts 101+ could have an Intellivision 35th anniversary label.. That would make cart only have an original label with no SoulBuster in credits, CIB 1-100 have same label with SoulBuster in credits, then 101+ have slightly new cart label with no SoulBuster in credits. Each grouping being clearly unique.

Willie - Have you considered having something unique about carts 101+? I realize changes add costs, but this seems like a minimal cost and effort that may generate more sales while supporting customer loyalty.

Troy

Hi Troy,

I wouldn't be a fan of a 3rd variant myself and think it will alienate more people than appease them. My understanding is that all serialized versions would be the same with exception to number. I don't think that #101 on would remove Soulbuster from credits but maybe I'm wrong and misunderstood? I don't think so because it was explicitly stated that the early supporters had a Roman variant with no executive producer in Rome and that these carts would never be produced again. Pretty sure I understood correctly, if not then someone please correct me.

Thanks.

Rom, not Roman or Rome:-)

I totally want this new Italian variant!!! :)

Seriously though, the new CIB games are all the same, it's just that Soul is selling the first 100 copies and then Willy would be able to sell 101+ is my understanding.

When I became the Executive Producer it was for all materials after the initial cart release. That means, new carts, manuals (I will be listed in all manuals), overlays, cart labels, boxes and upgrade kits. An Executive Producer's name stays with all products he produced.

When I became the Executive Producer it was for all materials after the initial cart release. That means, new carts, manuals (I will be listed in all manuals), overlays, cart labels, boxes and upgrade kits. An Executive Producer's name stays with all products he produced.

As well it should be for you stepping up financially and making this happen. Our thanks go out to you. :)

I totally want this new Italian variant!!! :)

Seriously though, the new CIB games are all the same, it's just that Soul is selling the first 100 copies and then Willy would be able to sell 101+ is my understanding.

That is mostly correct. William is only requiring me to buy the numbers from 51-100 that actually get spoken for. The rest he said he would sell. But William will be selling the exact same version that I am from what ever number is the last I sell.

The CIB version will have an Executive Producer credit in the ROM. That is the only difference between the two ROMS. All CIB versions will be identical regardless of serial number. Upgrade kits will have Executive Producer credits in the manual. The upgrades will not have serial numbers. That is the only difference in the packaging.

There are no limits to the number of CIB copies that will be sold. The 'cart only' versions will never be reproduced, and for variation collectors, there should be about 120 copies out there.

• Like 1

Ok, that clears it up. I understand what you guys are saying, and I am happy to get my games, but it is still a bit odd to have a cart only version that when upgraded is about the same cost as the sealed and numbered version yet the only unique characteristic about the cart only version is the lack of SoulBuster in the credits and no serial number on the box. I guess I am just thinking how Gamester81 had red cart shells for the Kickstarter campaign and then had black cart shells afterwards. Too late now I now, just food for thought if we get in this situation again. I know I am not alone in thinking the early version should be noticeably different from the later version and the early version should be somehow more desirable for collectors that supported this from the start.

I understand your thoughts Troy. Maybe that is something that can be considered if there is another cart only release. Or maybe there could be only one CIB version but it may require people to step up in sharing costs on games that might not sell as high in numbers. I do not know all the production costs/break-even point, etc...

• Like 1

Ok, that clears it up. I understand what you guys are saying, and I am happy to get my games, but it is still a bit odd to have a cart only version that when upgraded is about the same cost as the sealed and numbered version yet the only unique characteristic about the cart only version is the lack of SoulBuster in the credits and no serial number on the box. I guess I am just thinking how Gamester81 had red cart shells for the Kickstarter campaign and then had black cart shells afterwards. Too late now I now, just food for thought if we get in this situation again. I know I am not alone in thinking the early version should be noticeably different from the later version and the early version should be somehow more desirable for collectors that supported this from the start.

Keep in mind that William had no intention of going beyond the cart only release. Only after the release, he saw ??? something, and opened it up to the possibility of more. Then I made MORE happen. The 'beyond cart only release' was not foreseen.

I would consider this a unique situation.

Edited by SoulBuster

Keep in mind that William had no intention of going beyond the cart only release. Only after the release, he saw ??? something, and opened it up to the possibility of more. Then I made MORE happen. The 'beyond cart only release' was not foreseen.

I would consider this a unique situation.

That is basically it. I 'knew' that people would lobby for a box after the game was out. My terms were simple. Someone buys 50 copies at full price all at once, in advance. I didn't expect anyone to take the risk. I certainly wasn't prepared to. The 'fans' are causing this release to be done 'CIB'. I wasn't going to spend the money.

It makes sense that the price of a cart ($40) plus the cost of an upgrade would be about the same as a 'complete in box' copy of the game. People who bought the game 'cart only' and only care to play the game, don't have to buy the box/overlays/manual. It is up to them. If you read my message to BBWW in another thread, you will understand how this release happened, and why things happened like they did. I can re-post it here is need be.

• Like 1

Just to be clear.... if I do 'cart only' releases in the future, don't assume that there will 'eventually' be a box for it, and wait. Games done 'cart only' are done that way because I don't think that doing a CIB version is economically viable. Any cart only release will have an order cut off, and it will NOT be made available again after the cut off. And, if it sells poorly, (because people are holding off buying) it almost guarantees that I won't do a box for it.

• Like 1