IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Another flaw I'm seeing is that he is under the impression that the masses, for lack of a better term, care about playing a new Genesis (or whatever) game. The hundreds of people who buy the newly made retro games are likely the only people who care. I can't really see the average gamer going into a store, seeing a new 16-bit game and deciding on that instead of a PS4 game. Is there really a market for tens of thousands of people to buy a new console to play old games when there are literally thousands of existing old games already out there? Time will tell.

• Like 5

Another flaw I'm seeing is that he is under the impression that the masses, for lack of a better term, care about playing a new Genesis (or whatever) game. The hundreds of people who buy the newly made retro games are likely the only people who care. I can't really see the average gamer going into a store, seeing a new 16-bit game and deciding on that instead of a PS4 game. Is there really a market for tens of thousands of people to buy a new console to play old games when there are literally thousands of existing old games already out there? Time will tell.

Somehow they have "11,682 Total Page Likes" on facebook so maybe they are thinking all those people and more (people not on facebook or haven't heard of it yet) are going to buy one.

I think they should change the pack-in... or maybe make it an option altogether. You see where Cybermorph got the Jaguar? I would rather play Cybermorph. Honestly, that game doesn't look like something I would want to play (at all) and I mean no offense to whomever is developing it.. it's just not my cup. Maybe a little early to be saying this but I would plunk down $100 on another piece of Atari gear before I get this currently. It's kind of cool and I'm in-between on where I sit on the Jag casing... the color options are kind of cool but so far that's all it has going for it.

Another flaw I'm seeing is that he is under the impression that the masses, for lack of a better term, care about playing a new Genesis (or whatever) game. The hundreds of people who buy the newly made retro games are likely the only people who care. I can't really see the average gamer going into a store, seeing a new 16-bit game and deciding on that instead of a PS4 game.

You may be right; it certainly would be a niche market. He has to find players who want to play retro games, likes bulky cartridges (vs downloads) and willing to shell out hundreds of dollars (US) to fund the rig. That alone seems a rather Sisyphean task, much less developing hardware and cores and getting game developers on board.

You may be right; it certainly would be a niche market. He has to find players who want to play retro games, likes bulky cartridges (vs downloads) and willing to shell out hundreds of dollars (US) to fund the rig. That alone seems a rather Sisyphean task, much less developing hardware and cores and getting game developers on board.

And retailers willing to take a risk on the system...and willing to use up valuable floor space for a cart game that probably takes up as much room as 2-3 modern disc-based games.

And retailers willing to take a risk on the system...and willing to use up valuable floor space for a cart game that probably takes up as much room as 2-3 modern disc-based games.

Maybe they can presell the packaged carts to Gamestop, so they can pull out the flash chip to keep and throw away the cart shell along with the box and manual.

Personally speaking, I would hope that anyone wanting to play the classics would do so via emulation or the original hardware from back in the day.

With retrovgs the games are emulated anyways - because it is not the original hardware. So if you're doing emulation might as well get the best hardware, a fast PC.

Edited by Keatah

Somehow they have "11,682 Total Page Likes" on facebook so maybe they are thinking all those people and more (people not on facebook or haven't heard of it yet) are going to buy one.

I plan to buy several just to support the endeavor. If it tanks for whatever reason(s), I certainly won't be the one who loses out the most and if the only way I can contribute is through some small financial means, I'm all for it. ("small" being the price of 3 units minimum)

Cores, emulation, hardware specs, etc., that's someone else's problem. I'm not on the inside at RVGS so I haven't a clue with what's honestly happening but I'm ecstatic this is in the works. I'm praying it's a major success and helps others do similar things. (speaking of projects of any kind that have been shelved for fear of losing one's ass for various reasons)

Looking forward to more info!

• Like 2

True, though I think they're planning on-demand cartridge orders shipped directly to customers. If they got to the point where retailers wanted to stock them, it'd be a happy day indeed for them.

I believe the main problem is related to the fact that the whole console itself could likely be built on a Raspberry Pi form factor + FPGA.

There's already something like that around, it's called the MIST

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

I don't know how it's going to end but I foresee a river of tears and a lot of "untapped potential".

Forcing the retro look on games is not a selling point per se, when WaterMelon ported their Genesis "masterpiece" Pier Solar to 360 they got a hell of a wake up call, reviews were less than stellar because not only the gfx style looked dated (although romantic) but everything else including gameplay and storytelling as well was sub-expectations. It's a lot less impressive to do lots of colors on 16bit look alike sprites on a 360 than it is on the real old HW so you need to up your game.

The meaning is that although it may be easy to "impress" old timers showing new tricks that old HW can pull, it's a lot harder to convince new generations that those tricks are anything but "lame". The whole fact that they saved 0.5M US$ because the moulds were reused is so wrong I can't even start .... how can they then justify any other company that came out with a console to this day (Ouya, Gamestick etc...) ... they could have made it small (like Ouya or Raspberry Pi and use a 10US$ case) and use as cartridges the same form factor as SD cards for crying out loud ... that would have been so cheap.

Time would tell. We'll see, I am not expecting much, artificially castrating developers to use 2D or PS1 level 3D in 2015 sounds so weird.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 6

AfAIK there are no fpga psx cores so i don't know where people think the psx grade stuff is coming from...... but hey the cases sure look pretty. I hope they show us cafepress coffee cups next, or maybe t-shirts.....

• Like 5

... you little mischief ....

I for one never understood where, even if I like a particular game, the need to wear it as a t-shirt, use it as a coaster, wipe my butt on it as toilet paper and all the the unnecessary merchandising came from. Now with crowd-funding it seems the norm to throw useless "attaboy rewards" to up the ante and get more money. Not all the rewards are useless/pointless but rather than throw in a t-shirt or mug how about an extra decent game ... would that hurt?

Obviously I will not crowd-fund jack, but if it seems decent I will gladly buy full-price and I won't hold it against you if there's no "special toilet-paper" to go with the default, run-of-the-mill, buy it in store on "day 1 + some" edition.

AfAIK there are no fpga psx cores so i don't know where people think the psx grade stuff is coming from......

From Kennedy himself. For example, at about the 15:30 mark he says that 16-bit is the "sweet spot" but for an extra $10-20 they could bring it up to the next generation (PS1): https://soundcloud.com/retrogamingreddit/rretrogaming-podcast-episode-01-retro-vgs

He also mentions at about 18:45 his hopes of making it work with Unity. Sounds like their 'core guy' Kevin Horton will have job security for years. ;)

That means nothing. There are no PSX cores available, and an FPGA capable of running a full PSX core would probably price them right out of the market. Not even mentioning what a massive undertaking writing a PSX core would be.

It most likely means they'll use a combination ARM/FPGA device, and the ARM will be doing everything they can't get the FPGA to do. Which aside from existing available cores might be everything.

And no FPGA is using Unity...

• Like 2

Just to clarify: I was only answering CyranoJ's question and not suggesting that it may or may not be feasible. That's beyond my skill-set, but it's also what Kennedy has been putting out there as some of his hopes for RVGS.

I'm typically as skeptical or cynical as any who've posted, but I remain cautiously optimistic lest something I say would burn any bridges. Plus, the idea still intrigues me.

Guys, just go back and play some of those 3D PS1/Saturn games and you'll see that your memory of them and how they feel now are 2 distinct things.

There's very very few that are still fun to play but the vast majority can only keep you "nostalgic" for 5 mins before reality sets in.

[this also apply to N64 for that matter].

2D fares a little better although it's about the game not the fact that it runs on an old console or pretend old console. I lost count of how many times I started and abandoned Zelda on NES or Castelvania 3, if I played them maybe just 15 years ago (lol) I would have been able to get past their sparse appearance no matter how good they look in comparison to other titles on the same platform.

Again few exceptions do exist that would benefit a lot from a decent update like higher color count/ higher resolution (gfx and textures)/ higher framerate/ CD quality music and what not.
Maybe the niche for this console would be high def remakes of some classics although when it has been tried on 360/PS3 sales haven't exactly been stellar .... while emulated ones (a la Wii virtual console but it is present in a form or another on other platforms) struggle to reach the 5US$ mark nowadays obviously.
Edited by phoenixdownita

Guys, just go back and play some of those 3D PS1/Saturn games and you'll see that your memory of them and how they feel now are 2 distinct things.

There's very very few that are still fun to play but the vast majority can only keep you "nostalgic" for 5 mins before reality sets in.

[this also apply to N64 for that matter].

I spend the majority of my 8 hour work day playing PS1, Saturn & Jaguar games. Then, if I have any free time at home it's dedicated to psx titles on my OUYA.

I've logged more time on the Playstation 1 this last year than during all of the 2000's. Have beaten several games that I never finished back in the day and so many more to relive. The Syphon Filter series in particular. I'm talking about logging some serious hours. :cool:

EDIT

This also includes hacking the games to pieces :P

From Kennedy himself. For example, at about the 15:30 mark he says that 16-bit is the "sweet spot" but for an extra $10-20 they could bring it up to the next generation (PS1): https://soundcloud.com/retrogamingreddit/rretrogaming-podcast-episode-01-retro-vgs

And then they mention that there are no 16-bit cores...

A lot of things simply do not add up here.

• Like 2