IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I doubt it. He didn't make up anything or speak negatively, he just said they came to me, chose this game and I have no idea how they're going to make it.

Yeah as I said, we are officially off this project :D We'll take our 30+ titles in our library and new projects somewhere else Ha!

@phonixdowita

The thing is that the initial exposure was very negative. People were crapping on us for trying to bring SNA3D to it. Which I didn't even was noticed.

Anyways, Good luck to them, if they make it through awesome, if not, well there is always private funding or bank loans.

Cheers.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 3

Well if it gets build and ships at the end of 2016 and it gets successful it will drop in price (all consoles in the past 15Y followed that path within less than 1Y) so it is not that I miss out either way ;-)

My main interest would be to physically replace all the old 8/16 bits clunkers if possible ... I'm sure there will be other projects attempting something like this in half the time and a quarter of the money if this one gets funded .... ;-) ... and with a different case.

That's a good point, it looks like it will be a great 'modern' 8/16 bit system. But it also seems like feature creep was responsible for the higher price point, as Mike said months ago he was looking at around the $200 level. I'd probably back it for that, but when I can get a used PS4/Xbox One for under $300, I realize despite my love of retro games I'm not the target audience for this.

That's a good point, it looks like it will be a great 'modern' 8/16 bit system. But it also seems like feature creep was responsible for the higher price point, as Mike said months ago he was looking at around the $200 level. I'd probably back it for that, but when I can get a used PS4/Xbox One for under $300, I realize despite my love of retro games I'm not the target audience for this.

Back the project or not, that is your choice BUT keep in mind that as of now they made no promise whatsoever to be a retro-emu-station of any sort, just some vague mention of the fact that it could be possible, with custom adapters etc....

So if you become a backer NOW, make sure you like their current announced games line up.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Back the project or not, that is your choice BUT keep in mind that as of now they made no promise whatsoever to be a retro-emu, just some vague mention of the fact that it could be possible, with custom adapters etc....

So if you become a backer NOW, make sure you like their current announced game line up.

Like I wrote before, what's going on with the FPGA they are shipping if it's only barely funded? Will it only run PONG? The twice-the-funding-amount level is exactly what they've been saying all along the FPGA would be like.

ETA:

Yeah we are officially off this project :D We'll take our 30+ titles in our library and new projects somewhere else Ha!

Still, I hope they at least contacted you and it wasn't just a "you made us look bad; you're outta here" kind of thing.

After all, it was the vagueness that was the problem.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

One thing I haven't seen addressed by them is customer service. Despite their longevity claims, solid state hardware is not without its problems. What's the repair process? Is there a warranty on the hardware? Will the OEM controller be serviced by them in the event of a problem? Will there be a customer support phone number to help troubleshoot any issues that may come up?

One thing I haven't seen addressed by them is customer service. Despite their longevity claims, solid state hardware is not without its problems. What's the repair process? Is there a warranty on the hardware? Will the OEM controller be serviced by them in the event of a problem? Will there be a customer support phone number to help troubleshoot any issues that may come up?

C'mon if they can use their magic wand to get all possible required electronics certifications to be able to ship in every country they can sure sort this one out ....

Back the project or not, that is your choice BUT keep in mind that as of now they made no promise whatsoever to be a retro-emu-station of any sort, just some vague mention of the fact that it could be possible, with custom adapters etc....

So if you become a backer NOW, make sure you like their current announced games line up.

That's another thing -- none of the current announced games wow me. There's hardly any exclusives, as I have most of those games already either through backing them on Kickstarter or getting them through Steam/GOG.

It would be a bit funny if this console funds and then people start producing cartridges themselves.

In my view they would be making most of the money from operating game releases like Nintendo did in the 90s. Where nintendo would manufacture the games exclusively and third party developers had to pay nintendo a bunch of money (MMQ was 5000 units i think) to get the games produced and out in the stores.

That's another thing -- none of the current announced games wow me. There's hardly any exclusives, as I have most of those games already either through backing them on Kickstarter or getting them through Steam/GOG.

That you can plug them into your console in twenty years and they will still play (as opposed to Windows programs becoming useless) is what's supposed to wow you.

Like I wrote before, what's going on with the FPGA they are shipping if it's only barely funded? Will it only run PONG? The twice-the-funding-amount level is exactly what they've been saying all along the FPGA would be like.

As long as it is at least 23K LE (like the Mist project) they're still good enough for 8 bits and Atari ST/Amiga level of 16 bits (so Genny likely in, not sure about SNES but that's Nintendo territory anyway so it's radioactive to even talk about it, NeoGeo likely out) .. but if the ARM CPU is beefy enough I can see a hybrid approach

Edited by phoenixdownita

That you can plug them into your console in twenty years and they will still play (as opposed to Windows programs becoming useless) is what's supposed to wow you.

It doesn't, as I'm not sure I'd want to play them in 20 years. :grin:

Is that a bad thing?

Like I said, I really do hope this succeeds, I just have serious questions and concerns about this and I realize I'm not the target market.

• Like 1

And they aren't exactly cheap:

GunLord + 60US$

Knight's Chance +50US$

Adventures in the towers of light +30US$

Sydney Hunter +40US$

Read Only memories +50US$

Songbringer +40US$

nothing retro about those prices

Edited by phoenixdownita

It would be a bit funny if this console funds and then people start producing cartridges themselves.

In my view they would be making most of the money from operating game releases like Nintendo did in the 90s. Where nintendo would manufacture the games exclusively and third party developers had to pay nintendo a bunch of money (MMQ was 5000 units i think) to get the games produced and out in the stores.

I am banking on that, with one hacked cart with SD support and open source retro cores ... so sweet!!! NES HDMI, Coleco HDMI, 2600 HDMI, 7800 HDMI etc...etc...

I'm most likely out for this campaign:

- Too expensive

- No indication of how to play existing classic games

- I'm not a collector - I don't need every cartridge/box that exists or will exist

- The games don't interest me too much - I'm more retro than these guys

- No mention of development tools

- No mention of how to make your own 3rd party game

- I fear that this will take 2 years to get into customers' hands

The only reason I'd buy it anytime soon is if I needed to make game PCBs for this thing. I'll see what the market/demand/openness is like in a couple of years.

As an aside, I expected more from the campaign and campaign video. Right at the top of the page, in the main video, they should have shown the games, the games playing (one way or the other). The video spends 2 minutes on thank-yous, then 2 minutes on credentials, and later only about 1 minute on the games. Also, where are the real boxes, instructions, cartridges. There's no eye candy shown to entice the potential buyer, except for the console shells which we've been shown for a long time now. Right at the top, give us a reason to buy this.

• Like 5

This is the biggest load of shit I've ever seen:

hpdjw6t3oxpoxvirf7oe.png

Yeah, notice how they don't have any categories for "has a prototype" or "turns on" or "backed by a company that can actually make things happen"

I'm surprised they didn't include a "uses the Atari Jaguar case" category.

I also found it strange that Pier Solar isn't confirmed it's "In Negotiations" I remember the "WE'VE GOT PIER SOLAR!!" announcement. And I couldn't understand what this is:

l2iu3tfiw6ljl2gfy3d6.png

We've never seen it. Turns out it's some guy's Kickstarter project to make a book and the game is a side project. Funny thing is he's already selling the Retro VGS cartrige on his website right now! And look at this thing, I swear I can't tell if it's supposed to be a parody game:

619a84e42761a03db3cb27ae257259f0_origina

That looks like Chris Chan: The Game

• Like 4

Man guys, I dunno. I really want this project to succeed but atm am unable to support it. Also the risk versus reward just isn't there. And yes, I understand the Neo Geo title being $60, and quite frankly worth it, but I wouldn't pay over $30 for the others in their current states. Or $200 for the console (if I had the funds). Currently, I'm exited about the RetroUSB AVS (FPGA 720p NES) and the 7800 XM which look due for arrival soon.

I really want to see the RetroVGS succeed but I'm not contributing a dime currently. Or maybe I'll pledge $10 out of goodwill. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Even if the project does succeed and gets delivered, it may end up as an expensive but relatively useless shelf collectible with a tiny launch library, if it bombs at retail.