IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

If that is in fact the case for both NES and SNES patents around FPGA cores then great, probably won't stop Nin tendo lawyers from making life miserable for the RetroVGS if they want to. I'll have to listen to the podcast

System-on-a-chip clones use ASIC "cores" based on NES hardware. Nintendo attempted to sue in 2004 or whenever and the courts struck them down because the patents were expired, provided the clone in question contained no copyrighted software.

I imagine an FPGA "core" would be no different than those SOAC clones that Yobo/Retrobit/Hyperkin sell.

Edited by stardust4ever

I do like the unit is self-contained and not updatable in the traditional sense of contacting servers and downloading patches. It's also cool that once you own it no publisher is going to take away your library because of downed servers or license expirations or boardroom decisions.

Question is does the mass casual-gaming public want such permanence and at the cost $350? Or is that "demographic" content with $5.00 downloads on their 4" smartphones?

Tomorrow over supper time the wife and I will discuss whether we get one of these. If yes, it would be our second console. Second if you count the emulation station as the first.

My "battle plan" is going to be focused around:

Permanence & longevity

No updates

Controller versatility

Quality of construction and engineering

Expansion connector

Interesting combination of processing elements

Minimal or no invasion of your privacy by developers

No psychological manipulation to get you to do IAP

And this last point is a biggie. There are too many games that are designed to get money out of you instead of giving you good lasting value for years to come. I simply do not want anything to do with online gaming because I feel that mobile games aren't made for you - unlike real "retro" games of the 70's and 80's. I'm proud to say that my phone has none of those skinner boxes! http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-producer/

We went fine dining just the other day. Really upscale stuff. People are sitting around, head buried in their phones, incessantly, nervously, pecking away at some slot machine simulator.. How in god's name can you do that when the cityscape is spread out half a mile below you in all splendor? Where's the good conversation? Where's awe and wonder? Fucking sheep being controlled by a process they don't even know exists And denying when told. For chrissakes a whole 40-billion-dollar industry is built around them doing that to you. Fucking up your social life. That's the hate and disgust I have for modern gaming, not so much the tethered consoles, but the mobile devices arena.

Do you think a developer is going to leave a comfy studio and do RVGS games? Work on a yet-to-be proven system? Or will they stay with the installed base of several billion mobile devices? RVGS is going to have to overcome that or figure out a way to co-exist.

• Like 1

To play devil's advocate, there is a small chance that they'll get funded.

oubjtzekgzq70o0yhw2z.jpg

Cat ear headphones. $3,428,706 raised on Indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones#/story

In other news, I listened to the whole retro game roundup podcast.

They really haven't invested a lot on the hardware aside from the molds. They said a lot of the components they're going to use will be decided based on how the campaign goes. The devs also say they don't have the luxury of working on any prototypes or anything and they're not willing to invest their own time into it because -and I quote- "I'm not that philanthropic." Geee, I think tomorrow he's going to find out that he's not the only person in this world who cares about his own money.

If you listen to any of it, listen to the last 30 minutes. Ugh, so full of bullshit and pie-in-the-sky dreams. They can't nail down the hardware now, but they can get all giddy when the subject turns to how big the gaming market has grown, how development will be so easy, how they're contacted by hundreds of developers so that "getting games is the least of our worries". Shit, if you want to play fantasy 90's game console manufacturer, please don't do it with other people's money on the line.

If this thing ever gets made, I plan to buy it just like an Atari Jaguar is bought... at a garage sale.

• Like 3

Our plan is to get the prototype built very soon. We have the design all locked up and have all our supplier relationships ready to go as well as our CM for the PCB and PCBA.

3 pots of glue, a ream of paper, some ink and a HP printer? Google images for random circuit boards? Voila! RVGS!

This can all come together quite fast once we know we have the funding.

Once the glue dries.

• Like 7

From http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179292392&postcount=1215
I'd like to harp on him.

Just wanted to reiterate that we have had discussions with Kickstarter's, Head of Games, right up to Monday and they point blank said you don't need a working prototype even when their policies say otherwise. We know our crowd and couldn't in all honesty launch there without a working prototype that is nothing less than a real life RVGS board running a game or we would be breaking their policies and would certainly be called out for it.

Indiegogo is a very large and successful crowdfunding campaign and have done rather well in the hardware side of things. They have been after us for the past 3-4 months about bringing us to their side of the fence. Needless to say, I would have preferred to use Kickstarter, but again, we don't have the $$ to get a very real prototype made and thusly needed to make a decision to use IGG.

"we have had discussions with Kickstarter's, Head of Games, right up to Monday and they point blank said you don't need a working prototype even when their policies say otherwise"

ok so why not go with them?

"We know our crowd and couldn't in all honesty launch there without a working prototype that is nothing less than a real life RVGS board running a game or we would be breaking their policies and would certainly be called out for it"

In ANY case you're going without a proto and you've been called out for it quite some already, thanks to all of us as well.

"I would have preferred to use Kickstarter, but again, we don't have the $$ to get a very real prototype"

you don't poop where you eat, IGG must be in awe of this statement. Should have gone with the paper prototype if you couldn't to "the very real" one

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179270588&postcount=1211

The audacity..

They said,

"Indiegogo had been courting us to use their service the past few months and have extended to us some accommodations that were very enticing. In addition, we have also had discussions with Kickstarter about their policy which requires hardware campaigns to show off explicit demonstrations of a prototype. We have since found a few running hardware campaigns on Kickstarter that show nothing of the sort and have questioned them about it, only to find you really don't need to show a working prototype, just to be clear and upfront with backers so they know exactly where you are in the development process. We asked if they would then reword their policy to reflect this and at this point they have not done so."

I would certainly hope not. Where do they get off thinking they can change another company's long-standing policy?

come on guys.. I'll stay cautiously optimistic but if you spent a year fucking around with molds and what not, their hardware guy could have cobbled together SOMETHING. I don't care how lame it is. Just f'ing bring it tomorrow or you run no chance at all.. Then again, you might get enough money, fuck up the project and taint retro consoles forever.. who knows.. At least Andre LaMothe documented his entire process with Hydra despite the fact that he switched from a dedicated CPU + fpga to a parallax propellor. There's no reason these guys can't.. Anyway, I'm done.. Hope to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow..

-Mux

Alright, one more thing... The whole 'courting us' thing rubs me the wrong way. I've reached out to some of the people (who shall not be named) about their game content and it's not like THEY begged them. More the other way around. I mean, their product isn't THAT special..

Edit: Also, the projects on KS that don't have a hardware project were most likely ones that existed before they changed their rules, and rightfully so!

-Mux

Edited by Mux

I feel like a kid again. I'm waking up bright and early on Saturday to watch a great show.

My prediction:

200.gif

Edit:

Alright, one more thing... The whole 'courting us' thing rubs me the wrong way. I've reached out to some of the people (who shall not be named) about their game content and it's not like THEY begged them. More the other way around. I mean, their product isn't THAT special..

Edit: Also, the projects on KS that don't have a hardware project were most likely ones that existed before they changed their rules, and rightfully so!

-Mux

There is more to the story that they're omitting. Like the fact that they rejected Indiegogo last month. So you're right, they haven't been "courted" by Indiegogo, it's the opposite- they've come crawling back.

rvgs_ks_indie.jpg

Shit. I swear with these guys you never get the full fucking story, you have to drag it out of them. If they were honest from the beginning they wouldn't be sitting on such a shit storm.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 3

The wife is concerned if they need a kickstarter to get funding to build the hardware, will they need another one to cover manufacturing costs? And yet a third round to cover distribution and operations costs..

I just listened to the podcast. What's with the double-standard of philanthropy? They're not risking their hides, neither should you.

They dissed emulation at 1:11:12, too. They dissed my favorite method of classic gaming. Emulation gets the Quadrun! voice right - and a million other things too.

The wife is concerned if they need a kickstarter to get funding to build the hardware, will they need another one to cover manufacturing costs? And yet a third round to cover distribution and operations costs..

I just listened to the podcast. What's with the double-standard of philanthropy? They're not risking their hides, neither should you.

They dissed emulation at 1:11:12, too. They dissed my favorite method of classic gaming. Emulation gets the Quadrun! voice right - and a million other things too.

Flash carts on real consoles are where it's at. Emulation? Ftbbbbbth... Unless we're talking MAME. A million in one arcade boxes are the shizzle.

I feel like 5 years ago I still wouldn't really have a problem with this. But as part of the Neo-Geo community, the double-talk and superlatives thrown around by shitty "companies" like Analogue Interactive, who's business model revolves around extracting the maximum amount possible from collectards, has really made me jaded, and these RetroVAG people are sounding WAY too similar. I will be SHOCKED if this gets funded, unless they set the "fixed" amount on Indiegogo WAY lower than they originally said they would. Remember that they can go ahead and have a fixed funding campaign and can just set their goal much lower than the originally-mentioned 7-figure amount, and that way they can still keep your money. It's pretty apparent that they're just using this campaign as a way to get an infusion of cash, and they certainly don't need millions of dollars just to get this project into the prototype phase.

So my prediction for tomorrow's campaign is that they will have the funding target set much lower than originally stated. Maybe closer to $250,000.

Also, Shawn has been changing his avatar on the daily lately.

Also, I'm semi-drunk ATM.

• Like 4

You seem to be edging towards what everyone else has been saying for 56 pages..

I'm not sure if you are off your current medication, or finally been prescribed some.

• Like 6