IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

On 3/30/2024 at 11:34 PM, SlidellMan said:

I used to have the C64 version of Congo Bongo growing up. Too bad that Sega never ported that game to the Master System.

There a few games that should have been on the Master System but never appeared because they were on the SG1000 😢

• Like 2

Agreed, Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon, and Future Spy should have been on that system. With that out of the way, as someone who had the original Lemmings on the Amiga, played the Super NES version, and still has the MS-DOS version on CD-ROM: You did an excellent assessment of all the ports, but I wanted to tell you that the Super NES and Genesis/Mega Drive versions had extra levels. The former having five, and the latter having sixty. I also discovered a level editor for the DOS version called LemEdit that I found quite handy and easy to use. However, I haven't tested it in either DOSBox or FreeDOS.

• Like 1

All the cartridge versions by Sega only had two screens (the first and fourth).  The cartridge version by Coleco had the third screen but not the second and all the disk versions had all four screens.  I assume this was due to space constraints, but I imagine it was also Sega being cheap.  I loved the Atari 8-Bit version back in the day, but now I look back and wonder why.  I guess it was because it 'looked' neat and I had never seen the arcade version before (I didn't even know it WAS an arcade game until years later).  I have no idea why everything moves like it's a slideshow, that just screams lazy programming to me but back then I thought it was normal since I had nothing to compare it to.  When I finally got the Apple version (pirated of course) and saw that not only did everything actually move smoothly but it had two extra screens, I could never go back to the 8-Bit version.

5 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Agreed, Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon, and Future Spy should have been on that system. With that out of the way, as someone who had the original Lemmings on the Amiga, played the Super NES version, and still has the MS-DOS version on CD-ROM: You did an excellent assessment of all the ports, but I wanted to tell you that the Super NES and Genesis/Mega Drive versions had extra levels. The former having five, and the latter having sixty. I also discovered a level editor for the DOS version called LemEdit that I found quite handy and easy to use. However, I haven't tested it in either DOSBox or FreeDOS.

Wow, that is a lot of extra levels.  The original only had 5? 

That's not what I meant, the SNES version has all 120 of the original Amiga levels with only All the 6's being replaced with Ohayo Lemming-San due to Nintendo's no religious references rule. The Mega Drive has most of the 120 Amiga levels with some being swapped out with new ones. It also came with 60 levels under the Present and Sunsoft difficulties. One of those levels is a reference to Uforia/Hebereke.

9 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

That's not what I meant, the SNES version has all 120 of the original Amiga levels with only All the 6's being replaced with Ohayo Lemming-San due to Nintendo's no religious references rule. The Mega Drive has most of the 120 Amiga levels with some being swapped out with new ones. It also came with 60 levels under the Present and Sunsoft difficulties. One of those levels is a reference to Uforia/Hebereke.

Oh right, now I see what you were saying 👍

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 4:22 PM, Tempest said:

I loved the Atari 8-Bit version back in the day, but now I look back and wonder why.  I guess it was because it 'looked' neat and I had never seen the arcade version before (I didn't even know it WAS an arcade game until years later).

I suppose if you've never seen the arcade version, the Atari8 version does look good.   I saw the arcade version first, and it was one of the best looking games of its era, so I've always thought most home versions looked terrible.

I think the best looking home versions are the C64 Disk version (not shown in this video--   the tape version that is shown is similar to the Atari8 version)    The Apple II version looks pretty nice-  not usually a system that gets best looking arcade ports! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Before the days of the Neo Geo, SNK were pumping out more than just 1 on 1 fighters.
Battle of the Ports - Victory Road (怒号層圏) Show 503

Say what you will about the Apple II version but I actually liked it back in the day.  Not only did it look amazing for an Apple II game but the fact that it was so slow meant that my 10 year old self could actually get fairly far into it (I don't think I ever beat it though).  Back before you could compare versions easily I thought it was pretty darn good.  I guess ignorance is bliss :)

Incidentally Quicksilver Software still exists today.  I can't seem to find it (maybe it's not ready yet) but I was helping Bill Fisher get some box scans for a history section on the website: http://www.quicksilver.com/

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:33 PM, Tempest said:

Say what you will about the Apple II version but I actually liked it back in the day.  Not only did it look amazing for an Apple II game but the fact that it was so slow meant that my 10 year old self could actually get fairly far into it (I don't think I ever beat it though).  Back before you could compare versions easily I thought it was pretty darn good.  I guess ignorance is bliss :)

Incidentally Quicksilver Software still exists today.  I can't seem to find it (maybe it's not ready yet) but I was helping Bill Fisher get some box scans for a history section on the website: http://www.quicksilver.com/

It is true that the Apple II version is nice looking but it plays poorly.  Still, I think as a kid I would have enjoyed it very much. 

I had no idea quicksilver were still around.  Can't say I find any of their products appealing over the past 20 years by looking on their website. 

10 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Judging from the footage, Street Smart would have benefitted from better hit/collision detection. Especially the Mega Drive version.

Your not wrong there.  Apparently the Beta Mega Drive version while looking more like the Arcade is even worse to play. 

• Like 2

Will watch later. I would like a Switch but the lack of proper dpad is a deal breaker for me and the standard joycons feel terrible. Really surprised it sells so well with such bad controls. These pads seem reasonably priced in the uk as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, str0m said:

Will watch later. I would like a Switch but the lack of proper dpad is a deal breaker for me and the standard joycons feel terrible. Really surprised it sells so well with such bad controls. These pads seem reasonably priced in the uk as well

Kids.  They don't know any better. 

My Son is now 17 but he's had a switch since day one and always thought the joycons were crap. 

This controller has replaceable D-pads!  It comes with the standard cross type and a round type. 

• Like 1

I've used the Switch pro controller since I got mine and I'll never go back.  The other day I actually used my switch on the go (probably for the second time ever) and was appalled at how bad the standard joycon controller was.  How anyone could use it regularly for gaming is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:14 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

Say good bye to drift on your Switch and why not add some programmable features while you're at it.
No More Drift ! - The QDR Steller T5 for Switch

Besides drift, the other two issues I have with joycons are that the motion controls accuracy leaves something to be desired, and they disconnect frequently even though they aren't far from the console.   Do you know if these improve those aspects?

• Like 1