IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

2 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Something that maybe frowned upon by many but then again something that many may find useful.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook on things.

As someone who doesn't like tinker and mess around with emulator settings and things of that ilk, I really enjoy and see the benefit of things that are already set up and just work.  I know that a lot of people could do a lot better doing this, but I know that there is a demand for simple, easy to play solutions.  Hopefully they can get better.  BTW, this device seemed to be pretty good to me.  Granted, there were some limitations as to what it could offer and/or do, but almost every emulations device from what Anbernic throws out there to even something like the MiSTer have limitations of some kind.  It just depends on what you want, what your expectations are, and what you are willing to pay.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 1:56 AM, SlidellMan said:

I can explain why 3DO games ran at 30 Frames-per-second: Due to hardware differences between systems, Trip Hawkins told developers not to code at the assembly level. If there is one thing I like about Gex, it would be Rez.

That's a lame way to make a game console, limiting the developer. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:48 PM, Yakumo1975 said:

With the new GEX collection being announced, it's a good time to take a look at the original release.

Another attempted '90s mascot.  Admittingly I do kinda like the Gex character, though I have to admit it is really nothing special.  Definitely the '90s were filled with mascot characters filled with 'tude.  Truly an interesting gaming time period.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Another attempted '90s mascot.  Admittingly I do kinda like the Gex character, though I have to admit it is really nothing special.  Definitely the '90s were filled with mascot characters filled with 'tude.  Truly an interesting gaming time period.

For me it was a horrid time.  I really disliked all tude games and those in yeah face ads that dominated American game magazines.  You know the ones, where it has the face really close to the camera. 

• Like 3

It's a better game than Yakumo suggests, but it's not without its faults. Level design is okay, but some levels get really massive and the backgrounds get re-used often enough that you could get lost, which is never a fun thing in a platformer. As for the attitude, well, he is annoying and snarky and in your face, but hey, it was the 1990s. There was time for Gex. (And at least a dozen other games which pushed 'tude on the player.)

Apropos of nothing in particular, Dana Gould was probably the worst showrunner in the history of The Simpsons. Stick with portraying moist lizards in video games, Gould.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

It isn't often that you cover Nichibutsu/Nihon Bussan games, and you'd be surprised at what they made from '85 onwards.

My favorite of their games is Terra Cresta II but it was a PC Engine exclusive and it's stupid expensive. I do have the first game though (Famicom Version).

23 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

It isn't often that you cover Nichibutsu/Nihon Bussan games, and you'd be surprised at what they made from '85 onwards.

Ooh, I'm well aware of his company.  Their home output isn't seller for sure but they do have some interesting arcade offerings. 

Last night I actually completed a Nihon Bussan PC Engine game, Iga Ninden Gao.  A very average platform slash' em up.  

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, Yakumo1975 said:

Kids with boobs?
Booby Kids on this week's Battle of the Ports

Big fan of the Doraemon version on the PCE.  Will have to give the GB version a spin sometime.  Great stuff as always.  Looking forward to many more videos yet to come.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Big fan of the Doraemon version on the PCE.  Will have to give the GB version a spin sometime.  Great stuff as always.  Looking forward to many more videos yet to come.

Thanks.  The origin of this game will be on next week's show. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

Thanks to the video I now know how to pronounce Doraemon.  For some reason my American brain wanted to pronounce it Dor-e-mon (like Pokemon). :)

Don't worry, I've heard many odd pronunciations of Doraemon but the way I said it is correct 👍

13 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I bet that if Capcom hired either Elite, the Rozner brothers, or any other home computer developer who had actual skills and passion; the Amiga, ST, C64, and Master System versions would have been almost as good as the Genesis/Mega Drive port at the very least.

Also worthy would be likes of Special FX, Software Creations, when looking at a C64 conversion.. 

Graftgold (C64/Amiga/ST) 

Sales Curve/Random Access 

Ocean France.. 

For Amiga ST conversions. 

For