IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Is there any chance a Genesis to HDMI adapter would work with this?

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-HDTV-Cable-Genesis-Sega/dp/B07RW8R3QF/

Unfortunately I don't know. If it up-scales composite, then no, but if it actually uses RGB, then possibly! It would be really useful to get some kind of post together detailing how well these things work when people do test them.

Bob showed the RAD2X working with the 7800GD, but a lot will depend on your TV as well, how it handles sync jitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SainT said:

Unfortunately I don't know. If it up-scales composite, then no, but if it actually uses RGB, then possibly! It would be really useful to get some kind of post together detailing how well these things work when people do test them.

Bob showed the RAD2X working with the 7800GD, but a lot will depend on your TV as well, how it handles sync jitter.

This cable similar to the Rad2x in that it uses the composite video for sync I believe. So there is a chance that it would work. But until someone has a 7800GD in hand with one of these cables to test it with, I can only guess.

So assuming the Hyperkin cable uses composite sync, there is a good chance it would as @SainT does have sync in place from the composite side, just not the rest of it for a full composite video signal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SainT said:

I'll test with a RAD2X as well once I get the chance to order 👍

• Like 1

A quick update on this issue --

As I like to have conclusions to things. :)

It ended up being a badly installed AV mod which was feeding current from the cartridge port external audio connector into the TIA and causing video interference whenever external (YM / POKEY) audio was being played.

What's even weirder was I had TWO independent reports of this issue on the same day. 😬

I'll put a more detailed post up in the support forum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dire 51 said:

So, just to verify... if you already have a 7800 modded with S-video that looks perfectly fine on your current TV, is the extra cable necessary for the 7800GD to run anyway?

No. It functions just as a cart if that's what you want.

Mine has S-video mod and presumably the original RF out, disabled. 

Game drive arrived today and I can't get the video signal from the AV out from the game drive with my MD2 cable. Audio is fine though. I assume this is something to do with having the S-video mod..??

Do I need to configure Pokey things? Because with my Ballblazer ROM I can barely hear the music. 

5 minutes ago, Guitari said:

Game drive arrived today and I can't get the video signal from the AV out from the game drive with my MD2 cable. Audio is fine though. I assume this is something to do with having the S-video mod..??

Do I need to configure Pokey things? Because with my Ballblazer ROM I can barely hear the music. 

Possibly worth a thread in the new 7800GD Support forum:

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/417-7800-gamedrive-support/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Guitari said:

Are you using an RGB cable? Composite will not work. If it’s RGB, what are you trying to plug it into?

Nothing needs configuring for POKEY, however if you have one of the mods which shorts the two audio drivers together, this may be the cause of the low audio volume of the POKEY output. The audio should be coupled after the two 6.8k resistors, not before. Have a look here for more details — 

Thanks Saint. 

RGB.. Hmm not sure.. It's DIN plug to red, yellow, white plugs going into the same on the flatscreen TV. Presumably RGB is the signal rather than the form factor?? So... Does it have to be scart?? 

Maybe if you'd be kind enough to post a link to the most ideal RGB MD2 cable that would be great. 

I didn't get the Mega 7800 as I have the seagull adapter already. I hope that doesn't affect anything. 

Pokey.. I would have no idea but will research what's been done, I sent the 7800 off to someone years ago for the mod. I think his name was Richard. 

1 minute ago, Guitari said:

RGB.. Hmm not sure.. It's DIN plug to red, yellow, white plugs going into the same on the flatscreen TV. Presumably RGB is the signal rather than the form factor?? So... Does it have to be scart?? 

That’s composite, not RGB — you want a MD2 RGB SCART cable. I need to do post covering the different types of video cable over in the support forum, I think! 😄 I use a cable from eBay, but any MegaDrive2 RGB SCART cable should do the job.

Some modern flatscreen TV’s don’t like the jittery sync from the 7800, so without an upscaler your results may vary. It depends very much on the TV. For modern TV’s I use the retrotink5x to upscale the 7800GD to HMDI.

2 minutes ago, Guitari said:

Thanks Saint. I have an MD2 scart cable. Will give it a whizz.. If no joy, I'll also look into this upscaler. Thank you for your help! 

You’d need to make sure it’s an RGB SCART, too, some SCART are composite! Although it should be pretty obvious as you’ll get a white picture from composite I believe.