IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

18 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew Watching your latest stream and now you’ve gone and done it. The Double Score Dungeon t-shirt is a must have! 😉

Did I miss the DSD T-shirt?  👀  I didn't get to watch the entire replay...

Btw, I had Blip. You brought back a flood of happy memories.

I had Blip too - great memories for sure! :) 

Happy New Year everyone!

Same to you Steve...  Happy New Year everyone! 🎉 🎆

• Like 3

4 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Did I miss the DSD T-shirt?  👀  I didn't get to watch the entire replay...

Here's a screenshot of the shirts we got each other for Christmas! She's been wanting the DSD shirt for years ever since she first played your game so I decided to make a one off for her! 🙂

- James

image.thumb.png.c3ad8e99e6aaa3e163f6d282abb95a36.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It took some looking but it's part of the compilation release of all the demos/games shown at Silly Venture 2023 WE. You can find the link on the 2023 Atari 2600 Games list.

- James

You mean this one? https://www.sillyventure.eu/en/news

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thank you for the more direct link to the download, I swear I looked on that exact page in my search and didn't see it.  🙂

I found it a bit hard to find too, that's why I shared the link.

IMO this game clearly deserves a release on cart. @Albert are you listening? 

• Like 2

I just watched the latest show and where you talked about piracy ("sharing"). So far I haven't seen any effective protection besides watermarking (except special hardware). Which is even possible for a simple 4K game. Just giving games a simple serial number can easily be broken by comparing two ROMs. But with watermarking, you are changing random bits all over the ROM. If you then compare two ROMs, you will only find the bits which are different between the two ROMs. But each watermarked ROM will share a number of identical bits with each other ROM. So even if you eliminate at the different bits, the remaining watermark bits will still be sufficient to trace back a pirated ROM. This not only works for two ROMs, but depending on the number of watermarked bits, for multiple ROMs being compared. And the people pirating can never be sure they sufficiently removed enough watermarks. So if a pirated ROM shows up, it would be possible to trace it back to the customer who originally bought it.

Finding non-harmful bits for 2600 ROMs is easy. There are a many unused address bits for the TIA, RIOT or ROM space. Each of these bits can be randomized. E.g. each JMP address has three bits (bits 13..15) which can be used for watermarking (same for tables or pointers in the code), each STA GRP0 has one bit (bit 6, same for all TIA writes). Color values have one unused bit too, unused ROM has 8 bits. And so on. Some years ago, I did an experiment with my own game Three.s and easily found ~2,500 watermark bits.

Some math: Chances that a watermark bit is different between n ROMs is (1 - 0.5^(n-1)), so for e.g. five ROMs is it 93.75%. Given the 2,500 Three.s watermark bits, ~156 (2,500 * (1 - 93.75%)) bits will still not be identified. Which is still way more than sufficient for identifying the origin of all five ROMs used to "clean" the ROM. So to "clean" such a ROM successfully this way, you would have to buy more than five ROMs.

As of now the process is manual, the developer has to use watermark macros if his code (e.g. WM_JSR address) and the publisher has to assemble the ROM using a different seed per customer. But I am sure everything could be automated. One could create a patch address & bits file by running the ROM through a modified emulator. And this patch file could be applied to each ROM (again, with varying seeds).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Finding non-harmful bits for 2600 ROMs is easy. There are a many unused address bits for the TIA, RIOT or ROM space. Each of these bits can be randomized. E.g. each JMP address has three bits (bits 13..15) which can be used for watermarking (same for tables or pointers in the code), each STA GRP0 has one bit (bit 6, same for all TIA writes). Color values have one unused bit too, unused ROM has 8 bits. And so on. Some years ago, I did an experiment with my own game Three.s and easily found ~2,500 watermark bits.

I never even thought of sub-byte watermarking, that's very clever. Thank you for the explanation of how this can be accomplished if a developer wished to implement it. After reading what you've typed above it triggered a memory of a post you explained it in when Circus Convoy was released.

- James

50 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

It's cute that the owner somehow thinks they're training the cat, when clearly the opposite is happening.

Atari and Sprite have us VERY well trained to give them love and treats with their fluffy cuteness and baby kitten cries, we can't resist their clever manipulation!

- James

PXL_20230321_190013581.thumb.jpg.dedfdb9b8b00232e71c57b95d90c6f18.jpg

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Atari and Sprite have us VERY well trained to give them love and treats with their fluffy cuteness and baby kitten cries, we can't resist their clever manipulation!

- James

PXL_20230321_190013581.thumb.jpg.dedfdb9b8b00232e71c57b95d90c6f18.jpg

Awwww, that's such a great photo of them!!! 

..Al

• Thanks 1

ZPH PLAYS FOUR PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS

LIGHT GUN GAME DUCKS AWAY FOR THE ATARI 7800!

There's a FOUR PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS Light Gun game for the 7800? Yes! Tomorrow on ZeroPage Homebrew all four ZPH co-hosts will be all aiming our sights at the CRT with Ducks Away! We'll also be playing a ton of Atari 8-Bit four player simultaneous games using the MultiJoy8! Plus we'll take advantage of having all four people in the studio and get in a quick game of M.U.L.E.! See you live in the chat on Twitch tomorrow for this special show at a special time!

Games:

• Like 5

On 1/11/2024 at 5:33 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZPH PLAYS FOUR PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS

LIGHT GUN GAME DUCKS AWAY FOR THE ATARI 7800!

There's a FOUR PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS Light Gun game for the 7800? Yes! Tomorrow on ZeroPage Homebrew all four ZPH co-hosts will be all aiming our sights at the CRT with Ducks Away! We'll also be playing a ton of Atari 8-Bit four player simultaneous games using the MultiJoy8! Plus we'll take advantage of having all four people in the studio and get in a quick game of M.U.L.E.! See you live in the chat on Twitch tomorrow for this special show at a special time!

Games:

Hi, really love your content ! I don't know where to find the escape from mars game from your january 5th stream. Can you help me ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samwars95 said:

Hi, really love your content ! I don't know where to find the escape from mars game from your january 5th stream. Can you help me ?

Thank you so much for watching the stream! 🙂

You bet! You can find ordering information on the developer's Zarkstars FB page on this post.

- James

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

6th ANNUAL ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS

LIVE NOMINATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

AND VOTING STARTS TOMORROW!

20240202-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.7893d455d6eddc5d7b020b3bab7cb33c.jpg

Fri Feb 2, 2024 | LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT

TOMORROW ZeroPage Homebrew will announce the nominees for very best games of the year as voted on by the AHA Nomination Committee! Also, VOTING OPENS in the AtariAge Forums where YOU make your voice heard on your favourite games of the past year!

Huge thank you to our amazing sponsor AtariAge for helping make this event happen!

Award Categories:
  • Best Atari 2600 Homebrew (Original)
  • Best Atari 2600 Homebrew (Port)
  • Best Atari 2600 Homebrew ≤ 4K (Original + Port)
  • Best Atari 2600 Graphics (Original)
  • Best Atari 2600 Graphics (Port)
  • Best Atari 2600 Music + Sound (Original)
  • Best Atari 2600 Music + Sound (Port)
  • Best Atari 2600 WIP (Original)
  • Best Atari 2600 WIP (Port)
  • Best Atari 7800 Homebrew (Original + Port)
  • Best Atari 7800 WIP (Original)
  • Best Atari 7800 WIP (Port)
  • Best Atari 8-Bit/5200 Homebrew (Original) (NEW!)
  • Best Atari 8-Bit/5200 Homebrew (Port) (NEW!)
  • Best Atari 8-Bit/5200 WIP (Original) (NEW!)
  • Best Atari 8-Bit/5200 WIP (Port) (NEW!)
  • Best Atari Lynx Homebrew
  • Best Atari Lynx WIP Homebrew
  • Best Atari Jaguar Homebrew
  • Best Atari Jaguar WIP Homebrew
  • Best Atari Homebrew Packaging
  • Lifetime Achievement Award (Voted by Nomination Committee)
See you in the Twitch chat tomorrow for the reveal!
  • Like 3