IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

6 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Thanks for posting the interview with Dion. Anymore left? This year's PRGE is coming up fast!

Gah, the pressure! Hahah

tweek tweak toys GIF by South Park

I believe there are three more interviews to be released and I would love to get them all done before PRGE. Sadly my DAS, containing all the footage, is not working at the moment until I fix the fan in it. Which reminds me to make a post to see if anyone has insight into fan pin configuration.

- James

Since I haven't found a topic about Minigun Miner (is there?), I decided to post my comments here.

First, I really like the game concept. It is unique, challenging and, last not least, has well done gravity! :) Most suggestions (e.g. being able to look down a little bit further) were already made during the stream, but I have two more: 

Currently the gameplay is IMO too methodical, because the player has unlimited time to make progress. This results into very slow gameplay overall. So IMO there should be an element which forces the player to hurry. At least a bit. Which could be a bullet limit (with refills to be collected further down) or e.g. something deadly which slowly grows from above. Time based increasing difficulty would work too. Or you could base the difficulty on the number of blocks shot, which encourages the player to create only a minimal path down. Etc.

My last suggestion would also address the problem, that the difficulty seems to ramp up very slowly or not at all. But of course there are many alternatives.

• Like 2

@ZeroPage Homebrew Since I could not follow the show live (seems to happen regularly for my games), here are my delayed reactions:

1. Pas de Deux is a ballet term. All other names I could think of were too generic.
  2. You gain a bit of health back by obstacles passed, up to 33% for a completed stage
  3. And you lose 33% when you crash (in that order).
  4. When you run out of energy, game over. You restart the same game with FIRE. 
  5. You can pass multiple long bars by just holding the joystick left or right. This is not possible for other combinations
  6. Since the rotation is synced with the obstacle movement, using a paddle would make the game much harder.
  7. The game requires a LOT of concentration. Probably too much to be able to do a show in parallel.
  8. As it seems a bit too fast in the beginning, I will make it start a bit slower (@Karl G but not by 75% :)(BTW: the mobile is harder!)
  9. You had your left difficulty at A, which disables the (flickering) circle around the orbs.
  10. The attract mode kicks in after 2 minutes. It just plays 1-1 over and over. And sometimes it fails. :) 
  11. There are indeed 120 rotation steps, stored in a table. And I am mirroring the values, so I only have 31 bytes for X and Y (both, because the circle is only round on screen).
  12. Since you did not get to level 5, you did not see the disappearing obstacles (with collision detection!). :evil: 
  13. The group stages (except for group one, where obstacle forms are introduced) are usually:
    1. slow down significantly, shorten the number of obstacles per stage and introduce a new obstacle movement on its own
    2. to 6. combine the new movement with all previous movements at increasing speed and longer stages
  14. The ? indicates indeed a random level. After game over, you can replay the same level with FIRE or create a new random seed with RESET.

@vitoco The sliding objects are sprites, the two orbs are displayed using the missiles. This allows sprites in the top half of the orb circle, so the obstacles can move until slightly above the middle of the circle.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Currently the gameplay is IMO too methodical, because the player has unlimited time to make progress. This results into very slow gameplay overall. So IMO there should be an element which forces the player to hurry. At least a bit. Which could be a bullet limit (with refills to be collected further down) or e.g. something deadly which slowly grows from above. Time based increasing difficulty would work too. Or you could base the difficulty on the number of blocks shot, which encourages the player to create only a minimal path down. Etc.

I totally agree... I was thinking about a tenliner with this concept, but with some variations and simplifications to make it more fun.

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The sliding objects are sprites, the two orbs are displayed using the missiles. This allows sprites in the top half of the orb circle, so the obstacles can move until slightly above the middle of the circle.

But are they converted to playfield at that point? Thanks for the explanation...

On 10/4/2023 at 2:32 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew Since I could not follow the show live (seems to happen regularly for my games), here are my delayed reactions:

Thank you so much for all the additional info about the game Thomas!

The game requires a LOT of concentration. Probably too much to be able to do a show in parallel.

100%, it's helpful to have a co-host! This game requires a ton of concentration as you have to manage where you are and what's coming up as well. It gets crazy on the higher levels. Looking forward to playing this game on a future After Dark at some point as I'm certain I can make it to the end given enough time and practice.

You had your left difficulty at A, which disables the (flickering) circle around the orbs.

GAH! I hate when I forget to reset the difficulty switches from a previous game. 😞

The ? indicates indeed a random level. After game over, you can replay the same level with FIRE or create a new random seed with RESET.

Thank you for the clarification! I thought there was some randomness to it, but this is even better!!

- James

On 10/4/2023 at 12:47 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Since I haven't found a topic about Minigun Miner (is there?), I decided to post my comments here.

@drludos hasn't made a topic on the AA Forum for the game yet, but he said once he progresses with the development some more he'll post it here. I tagged him so he should see your comments about the game now.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:47 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

My last suggestion would also address the problem, that the difficulty seems to ramp up very slowly or not at all. But of course there are many alternatives.

It would be nice to have a ticking clock of some sort, either limited bullets (with more to pick up) or timed levels but I find it an a really challenging game at the moment so I'm not sure how that would best be implemented. I can't say whether the difficulty ramps up or not as I'm not yet able to make it far enough to tell, I'm assuming it doesn't get harder at this point in the development.

- James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

100%, it's helpful to have a co-host! This game requires a ton of concentration as you have to manage where you are and what's coming up as well. It gets crazy on the higher levels. Looking forward to playing this game on a future After Dark at some point as I'm certain I can make it to the end given enough time and practice.

After @Karl G's feedback and after I saw you and especially Tanya playing, I have reduced the initial difficulty quite a bit (20% slower speed, 25% shorter stages). Also the stage length doesn't increase that much anymore. I also plan to add gaps in the first stage(s).  I hope this is enough to really make these stages tutorials.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

First, I really like the game concept. It is unique, challenging and, last not least, has well done gravity! :) Most suggestions (e.g. being able to look down a little bit further) were already made during the stream, but I have two more: 

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@drludos hasn't made a topic on the AA Forum for the game yet, but he said once he progresses with the development some more he'll post it here. I tagged him so he should see your comments about the game now.

It would be nice to have a ticking clock of some sort, either limited bullets (with more to pick up) or timed levels but I find it an a really challenging game at the moment so I'm not sure how that would best be implemented. I can't say whether the difficulty ramps up or not as I'm not yet able to make it far enough to tell, I'm assuming it doesn't get harder at this point in the development.

- James

Thanks a lot to both of you for your feedback and suggestions, it's very much appreciated! :)

As I said, this is a very "work-in-progress" game, I still have some ideas to add things to the game. I'll try to make a dedicated post on AA forum for the game when I'll resume working on it (probably after the PRGE), but seeing playing and giving new ideas is a great motivation :).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I tend to blame the cats for when anything electronic goes wrong but now I have anecdotal proof that there's a cat-spiracy afoot!

- James

On 10/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, Revontuli said:

Just noticed @ZeroPage Homebrew is scheduled to play Dragon's Havoc for the "After Dark" segment tonight, I'm curious if that's still going on...

I'll probably reveal a few secrets/cheats for the game after the high score contest wraps up... :)

Heya @Revontuli! We ran out of time to do the After Dark that evening unfortunately. We're still going to try for a day coming up but the hours are getting tight with the Canadian long weekend and prep for PRGE. Hopefully we'll be able to play very soon!

- James

• Like 1