IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

Side note, I also tested this monitor with: Amstrad CPC, Atari with VBXE, C128 (80 column after conversion from RGBI to VGA). It works ok. Some vertical lines observed on VBXE. interesting fact is that VBXE has combined H/V synchronization (CSYNC -  XOR of HSync and VSync). and that also is ok for that monitor.

• Like 2

So far I am very impressed with this monitor. I did notice few glitches on some demo screen hacks, so I decided to look into it a little bit more by hacking the monitor DDC-CI VPC (I2C) protocol on VGA pin 12-DATA & pin 15 CLOCK.

I'm hoping I can read the frequencies when am I experiencing the issue with simple Arduino compatible microcontroller on the DDC/CI (Display Data Channel Command Interface).?

Here is the Arduino library for controlling external computer monitors over the VESA DDC/CI standard created by Toni Tanner, 2021: DDC/CI VCP library.

And my super simple example CODE:

// https://github.com/tttttx2/ddcvcp
// https://www.ddcutil.com/vcpinfo_output/
#include "DDCVCP.h"

//VCP code C0: Display usage time
//   Active power on time in hours, MCCS versions: 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 2.2
//   MCCS specification groups: Miscellaneous, ddcutil feature subsets:
//   Attributes: Read Only, Continuous (complex)
#define VCP_code_Display_usage_time 0xC0

DDCVCP ddc;

bool power_onoff = false;

void setup() {
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  digitalToggle(LED_BUILTIN);

Serial.begin(9600);
  Wire.setSCL(16);
  Wire.setSDA(17);

while (!ddc.begin()) {
    Serial.print(F("-  Unable to find DDC/CI. Trying again in 5 seconds.\n"));
    delay(5000);
  }
  Serial.print(F("-  Found DDC/CI successfully.\n"));
}

void loop() {
  ddc.setBrightness(10);
  Serial.println(F("setBrightness(10)"));
  delay(500);
  ddc.setBrightness(50);
  Serial.println(F("setBrightness(50)"));
  delay(500);
  ddc.setBrightness(100);
  Serial.println(F("setBrightness(100)"));
  delay(500);
  power_onoff = ddc.getPower(); // bool DDCVCP::getPower()
  if (power_onoff == false) {
    ddc.setPower(power_onoff); // setPower(bool value)
  }
  delay(500);

Serial.print (F("getClock - sampling clock frequency "));
  Serial.println(ddc.getClock());
  delay(500);

Serial.print(F("Display usage time in hours "));
  Serial.println(ddc.getVCP(VCP_code_Display_usage_time));
  delay(500);
}

I am connected to the monitor directly without the Atari ST computer this is because the cable I have for the Atari is actually shorting out one of the pins to ground (PIN12 ID1- SDA_DDC Serial Data Line), Back in the day (80s)  ID0,ID1,ID2,ID3 pin  11,12,4,15 respectively in VGA standard connector where used for Monitor ID Bit.

VGA DDC CI PINOUT.png

DDC MONITOR PIC.png

Edited by Chri O.
add 2nd pic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, tuf said:

Results are as expected - works as well as the ST modes!  Here's some snaps of a PAL screen on an NTSC A500 using a simple DB23 to VGA adapter.

PXL_20220108_072900783.jpg

PXL_20220108_072850185.jpg

PXL_20220108_072908814.jpg

Hi!

that discover it's amazing! No one have tried some DBLPal / Double PAL resolution?

Something like that?:

IMG-20220602-WA0007~3.jpg

Edited by MIK710_0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, leech said:

Man, I need to clean up my computer desk and set stuff up in an organized fashion, as everyone else seems to have sane set ups.  Granted I haven't put the top on my A4000 in years, and same with my Falcon..

No... they just piled all the junk up out of the camera view, took the picture, then put it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, leech said:

That is usually what I do.  Or edit the picture so it doesn't show all the junk.

Ok, so this is totally worthy of that meme with the guy in the orange jacket.

Alas, I'm "working" and don't have enough time... but pretend I did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

Nevermind... Yes I did....

image.png.ca3121803dd76f8ef61b78b5ce13d155.png

I had a project to build out some Pentium 1-3 era system and ended up with a few motherboards that need to be recapped, video cards, random case, etc.  Basically my floor looked similar to that scene in Pink Floyd the Wall where he goes crazy and smashes up his guitar and makes an odd 'map' on the floor with various pieces of furniture and food.  "hello?  Are you feeling okay?"

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

To add some potentially relevant information to this thread, I've had good luck with Dell monitors of recent manufacture. I haven't tested anything on the SE2722H, but I have tested a few computers (Atari included) on other Dells, including those manufactured in 2022. Here's a summary (taken in part from a post to another forum):

I bought a CGA2RGBv2 adapter (https://gglabs.us/node/2063), and tested it on an IBM 5155 with a CGA card -- the adapter will convert the CGA signal to a VGA compatible pinout and voltages, but the signal will still be 15Khz.  I tested on three Dell monitors--two 16:9 aspect ratio P2419Hs and a 5:4 aspect ratio P1917S. The interesting thing is that when using the VGA connector, the P1917 (made in 2016) and one of the P2419Hs (made in Sept 2020) will sync using the CGA2RGBv2; the resolution reported by the monitor is 1440x240. The other P2419H, built in Dec 2018, won't. I checked with an IBM 5150, too. The service menus of the two P2419Hs look very different, and the firmware appears to be different. I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any luck connecting 15Khz machines--PCs or other types of machines--to other monitors with VGA that have come out in the last 5 years.

Note that http://15khz.wikidot.com/ lists partial support for 15KHz signals for the P1917S. The P2419H is not listed, but the P2214H is. Additionally, I've tested a P2414H (an earlier model) and a couple P2219H monitors, and these seemed to work fine, too. I did some preliminary testing with a BBC Micro, and that also appears to work. This is all through the CGA2RGBv2.

More recently, I tested an Atari 520ST on the P1917S,  a P2219H, a P2722H (still listed on Dell's site), and a Lenovo Q24i-1L. All of these will sync on the Atari, but the Lenovo always shows a wide-screen aspect ratio. With the Dell's, switching to 4:3 works fine. In my view, the Dell on-screen GUI is better than the Lenovo GUI.

I tested Low, Mid, and High resolution, and the results look like the pictures others have posted (including the cross-hatch pattern on high-res mode). As an aside, for the Atari, I'm using separate low/mid and high-res cables from CoolNovelties.

Unfortunately, not all Dell monitors will work. The 15khz.wikidot site indicates this, and my own tests of the following models came up with negative results: a P2417 and two P1914's wouldn't sync. As noted above, even some monitors of the same model or series won't work.

I have a few P2422H's at work that I can also test if folks are interested. These are all business class monitors (so, no freesync). I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Atari STs, so pointers about what software to use would be helpful. I'm in the US, and I assume my machine was intended for that market. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back from the dead :)

Finally jumped on 2 of the SE2722's. $319 delivery next day.

The early 2000 Dell 24" I'd been using on the PC went on the blink, and the really old (forgot what brand, it's burried during a computer room remodel) monitor that worked in RGB mode on the Falcon wasn't best video quality. 

Being 66, 800x600 on a 24" was really getting difficult. 

These should shine with the SuperVidel as well as the occasional RGB demo's on the Falcon. 

Thank you all for the testing :)

3 minutes ago, H454 said:

Down to $169.99 at Microcenter -

https://www.microcenter.com/product/638580/

Office Depot / MAX $159.99 until the end of July

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9072317/Dell-SE2722H-27-FHD-LED-Monitor/

I'd tried Microcenter on my phone, it spit and  sparked for some reason. Googled the monitor and came up with the Office Depot site. 

45 minutes ago, rustynutt said:

I'd tried Microcenter on my phone, it spit and  sparked for some reason. Googled the monitor and came up with the Office Depot site. 

Microcenter and search engines don't seem to get along.

If I want to check MC, I have search their website whenever I check prices.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up one of the 27" Dell's posted here while it was on sale for $159.00.

I've got one of those Ube switch's that I had purchased some time ago. Using a

standard VGA cable I hooked everything up.

It all boots up. I had to adjust the vertical and horizontal position a bit but it's

good (this is in 16:9 mode - haven't tried 4:3 yet).

But...it's in hi-res. I went through all the monitor settings and I can't find anything

to change there and Options-> Set Preferences on the Mega STe only shows hi-res

available, low and medium are greyed out.

Is there something on the Ube switch I need to change?

Thanks all.

8 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Is there something on the Ube switch I need to change?

This might be a dumb question - I'm not familiar with the Ube...does it have a switch on it?

You wont ever have access to all 3 modes at the same time (Low/Med/High).  The monitor port senses which monitor you've got connected, and the switches just let you choose one or the other.

Edited by tuf

Never mind - I found it. I just had to play around with it. There is a switch (very tiny!)

on the top of the Ube switch that lets you set it to low, medium, or hi-rez. I guess it

was just set to hi-rez when I turned it on the first time.

This Dell monitor and Uve switch combo is pretty nice. Clicking the button reboots the

Mega STe and sets the resolution - nice.  :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tuf said:

Dumb question - I'm not familiar with the Ube...does it have a switch on it?

I got it, thanks though. It does indeed have a switch on top.

Oh, and for anyone who's not familiar with the Ube switch, it's a

button you press, not slide...  :D

40 minutes ago, tuf said:

This might be a dumb question - I'm not familiar with the Ube...does it have a switch on it?

You wont ever have access to all 3 modes at the same time (Low/Med/High).  The monitor port senses which monitor you've got connected, and the switches just let you choose one or the other.

It is that tiny button on top, for future reference.

20220812_142121.jpg

20220812_142107.jpg

20220812_142052.jpg

9 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hey, that's a pretty nifty cover you got there for the Ube switch.

is that 3D printed?

Can I have one? <nudge-nudge> <wink-wink>

Be happy to reimburse you.   :)

Ha, I didn't print it.  Trying to remember who I ordered it from.  Came with the ubeswitch though.

So I'm pretty happy with this Dell 27" monitor, with only 2 complaints.

First, I wish it had been available in Atari grey.  :)

Second, I realized that the monitor on my Win10 box, sitting just a few

feet away, is actually smaller.  So...because I play Guild Wars 2, Divinity 2

Original Sin and Baldurs' Gate 3 on it, I guess I'll have to upgrade it as

well.

Work, work, work, work, work, work...work.   :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

So I'm pretty happy with this Dell 27" monitor, with only 2 complaints.

First, I wish it had been available in Atari grey.  :)

Second, I realized that the monitor on my Win10 box, sitting just a few

feet away, is actually smaller.  So...because I play Guild Wars 2, Divinity 2

Original Sin and Baldurs' Gate 3 on it, I guess I'll have to upgrade it as

well.

Work, work, work, work, work, work...work.   :)  :)  :)

Haha, I should at some point down the road figure out what monitors I must keep and those which need to go... I stocked up on a bunch with the eventual hope to have space for setting up a bunch of different machines.  One of these days...