IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

Amico Discord:

NLGMullis: How do you think I still have my debug Xbox 360 unit from my days as a game journalist?

NLGMullis: If you are interested in Amico, but are avoiding the controller touchscreen, then honestly you aren't interested in the Amico.
Buy an Xbox, and play the couple ported games there and be done with it.

NLGMullis: I realize there are people here with bad intentions.   I know that because my comment has already been screenshotted and used by the cowards over on the Amico reddit.   But my statement stands.    And this is the last I will say on it.   The controller, whether hardware or "cell phone", is the controller for the Amico.   They aren't going to change it, they aren't going to turn it into an Xbox or PlayStation controller, no matter what the desire is from those to derail this server with those kinds of comments.

As I said, Shark Shark, Astrosmash, and Dynoblaster are all on other platforms.   If you want to use a traditional controller for those games, those are the platforms to get the games on.    I will say that Shark Shark is better with the Amico disc controls than they are with the Switch or Xbox analog stick.   I also have Missile Command every conceivable way on the Atari VCS, from the arcade and 2600 versions in the Atari Vault, the Jaguar version in Atari 50th, and Recharged.    And the Amico version is the best of them all because of the touchscreen control and the multiplayer.

Anyway, it was my mistake for engaging with people clearly here with an agenda.    Don't know why I even did it, and should have known it would end up being used by the barking seals.   I'm sure it will end up in a video by the end of the day.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

That discord chat is a wonderful example of cognitive dissonance. “Put it on X Box”, “Make controllers”, “gain investors”, etc… dude, your “flagship” game sold like 150 copies. This shows no one beyond Mullins and the other CHUDS give a damn.  What sort of person would look at those numbers, look at the money wasted over the past years, and give the same people MORE MONEY? This goes back to my initial problem with IE: taking advantage of people who are clearly mentally ill or cognitively challenged.

Yeah, it's probably some psychological thing, or just basic human nature that some people can't take a step back from and overcome, e.g., when you gamble and keep spending more money in the hopes of making it all back and then some, but neither happens and you're simply left empty inside and broke. In this case, it might be the vain hope that with just a little more money, a little more positivity, a little more this, a little more that, it will get over the hump and the now mythologized original vision can finally become a reality.

It's that "step back" part that's probably missing most in that even if most of the original vision came to pass (and again, we know that's impossible), what would anyone really have? The whole fantasy of local multiplayer parties with friends and family was never going to be a thing for most people anyway. That to me is the saddest part about the most delusional (for lack of a kinder word, so maybe use "committed") because they're still hoping for something that was unlikely to happen in the first place. Maybe that's the whole point of keeping up the charade for some of them, i.e., they know deep down inside that the pollyannish vision was never really going to happen anyway, but they can still have that dream as long as there's still a pulse with the company. In other words, in some ways, it's BETTER that it's not a reality vis-a-vis the original sugar-plum dreams.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Amico Discord:

NLGMullis: How do you think I still have my debug Xbox 360 unit from my days as a game journalist?

NLGMullis: If you are interested in Amico, but are avoiding the controller touchscreen, then honestly you aren't interested in the Amico.

NLGMullis: I realize there are people here with bad intentions.   I know that because my comment has already been screenshotted and used by the cowards over on the Amico reddit.   But my statement stands.    And this is the last I will say on it.   The controller, whether hardware or "cell phone", is the controller for the Amico.   They aren't going to change it, they aren't going to turn it into an Xbox or PlayStation controller, no matter what the desire is from those to derail this server with those kinds of comments.

As I said, Shark Shark, Astrosmash, and Dynoblaster are all on other platforms.   If you want to use a traditional controller for those games, those are the platforms to get the games on.    I will say that Shark Shark is better with the Amico disc controls than they are with the Switch or Xbox analog stick.   I also have Missile Command every conceivable way on the Atari VCS, from the arcade and 2600 versions in the Atari Vault, the Jaguar version in Atari 50th, and Recharged.    And the Amico version is the best of them all because of the touchscreen control and the multiplayer.

Anyway, it was my mistake for engaging with people clearly here with an agenda.    Don't know why I even did it, and should have known it would end up being used by the barking seals.   I'm sure it will end up in a video by the end of the day.   

And of course, underlying all of the "best on Amico" blah blah blah is the simple fact that they don't have the resources to optimize the experience on the other platforms. If they were really being honest, there's obviously nothing inherent about these basic games that would make them better on the Amico controller versus a standard controller, and certainly not the multiplayer stuff on existing platforms that can support as many as 8 local players (not counting the Jackbox games that can support even more because of their use of mobile devices). They're simply unable to improve them in any appreciable way, so I would hope it's "best on Amico" given that (and even that is debatable based on some of the lag we've seen).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Amico Discord:

Imagine being a company and having that man as one of your "testers" and most prominent promoters. Any company with an ounce of sense would try to distance themselves as much as possible from someone like that.

Edited by SteveTheColecoDude
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

Imagine being a company and having that man as one of your "testers" and most prominent advertisers. Any company with an ounce of sense would try to distance themselves as much as possible from people like that.

They still use Ataricreep as a public advocate despite a history of homophobic, violent, and inappropriate remarks he made while acting as a public face for the Amico (he’s got one of the consoles). A few weeks ago he called out Pat Contri on his YouTube channel by challenging him to a fight, and then said “you’ve never felt the inside of a woman.” While also calling people in his YouTube comments “retards.” 

Yes, the family friendly console indeed.  Great bunch of people over at IE.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Ataricreep

Disgusting, vile and intellectually challenged are high praise for this individual… he’s useless and I remember when TT would engage/encourage the guy here.

Astonishing the fact ppl gave this company money(in the millions) and only a quick YouTube search could have shed soooo much light on the company, TT, the shills and the eventual direction this projects end….utter failure.

Edited by MarioMan88
Sepelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

That discord chat is a wonderful example of cognitive dissonance. “Put it on X Box”, “Make controllers”, “gain investors”, etc… dude, your “flagship” game sold like 150 copies. This shows no one beyond Mullins and the other CHUDS give a damn.  What sort of person would look at those numbers, look at the money wasted over the past years, and give the same people MORE MONEY? This goes back to my initial problem with IE: taking advantage of people who are clearly mentally ill or cognitively challenged.

There is a bunch of cognitive dissonance and lack of a grasp on reality. It is past the point of reasonable to see that this as a possible viable solution. There are HUNDREDS of them!

Screenshot_20231231_105546_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.0468008c672c6d4cb4ca9708d5d7309c.jpg

Those who still believe definitely have something going on. Those with any critical thinking cognitive ability should have seen this wasn't going to happen mid 2021 at the latest. 

7 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Amico Discord:

He really wasn't a good journalist. His writing at best was meh. He comes off more as a PR regurgitator. Someone should ask him about his critical analysis of the Phantom console. 🤣

The people there asking questions he's accusing of having an agenda, do have an agenda. They want to be able to get and play the console they paid for. Him being the moron that he is is telling them ITS NOT FOR YOU! Best marketing ever. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

And of course, underlying all of the "best on Amico" blah blah blah is the simple fact that they don't have the resources to optimize the experience on the other platforms. If they were really being honest, there's obviously nothing inherent about these basic games that would make them better on the Amico controller versus a standard controller, and certainly not the multiplayer stuff on existing platforms that can support as many as 8 local players (not counting the Jackbox games that can support even more because of their use of mobile devices). They're simply unable to improve them in any appreciable way, so I would hope it's "best on Amico" given that (and even that is debatable based on some of the lag we've seen).

The other consoles don't have Tommy for him to dote on. Most of these guys came off as needing something or someone to feel special. It was weird. I would have expected more of that type of behavior from like teenagers who are lost trying to figure their life out. I mean I guess it also fits in with the stereotypical midlife crisis.

3 minutes ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

Imagine being a company and having that man as one of your "testers" and most prominent promoters. Any company with an ounce of sense would try to distance themselves as much as possible from someone like that.

Dude that is the best they could get. You have to get the bottom of the barrel when a bone of worth looks at your crap project amd goes, "not a chance". The closest they got was RTUSA and that was less because he was into it and more it was the Anti-Pat console. Same with SmashJT.

This is all ignoring that the console was "on the launchpad" in 2019. They should have had all the testing done by the end of 2019.

Then you have DJC who I thinknwas only 9% of the way through FF after a year of testing. I mean this instills confidence in how well that touchscreen works...

After watching my toddler take interest in Mario Wonder and Mario Odyssey, I think he could play better than DJC. Unless it is completely the controllers fault.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now on Amico Discord: 

John Alvarado:  ...I'm also going to talk about moderation on this Discord and what is acceptable and what is not....

Criticism of the existing games and phone controller is perfectly acceptable.  Especially if it comes with suggestions for improvement, but that is not necessary.  I want to know what is getting in the way of people enjoying the games so I can fix it, even if they are not sure how to fix it.
What is not acceptable criticism is making predictions about future failure of the whole system in the marketplace because some particular feature is not ideal or not liked. That is just negative projection.  We don't need those vibes here.
It is also not acceptable to accuse or criticize individual members here for their preferences.  That is not productive. Let's keep arguments about features and concepts, not people.

I'm new to moderating, and in hindsight it  would have been good to have some kind of ground rules like I described above written out somewhere from the start.  But I wouldn't have known what they should be at that time because I'm new at this.  So I'm having to figure it out as I go.
Two members have been removed in the past for violating the rules I described above.  A few post have likewise been deleted.
I don't like deleting posts, but I will do it when I think keeping them hurts the positive vibe of this community.
I'm going to delete some posts now. I apologize that some fair statements are deleted as part of removing the general negative thread that I want to remove.

I also want to make clear that Intellivision has every intention of manufacturing hardware controllers in 2024.  But for reasons I've already stated, I can't yet put a timeline on that process.   Nevertheless, I also have every intention of continuing to  improve the Amico experience for those who can't afford to buy hardware controllers when they come out.

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That's always going to be an option I suppose, but the original comment was about the Estore, or lack thereof. As was stated by others, they don't have the resources to manufacture physical goods. They barely have enough resources to take their partially finished content and get it on the various active platforms.

The elephant in the room is that none of it matters. They have a super tiny library of, at-best, mediocre games without broad appeal and clearly no resources left (somehow) to do much of anything else. This is running out the clock, pure and simple.

Yeah, they're basically just asset stripping at this point.

Licenses are being sold off and things that can be easily finished and might bring in a bit of money are being shoved out the door, but anything that needs a serious amount of work and/or investment isn't going to happen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

Just now on Amico Discord: 

John Alvarado:  ...I'm also going to talk about moderation on this Discord and what is acceptable and what is not....

Criticism of the existing games and phone controller is perfectly acceptable.  Especially if it comes with suggestions for improvement, but that is not necessary.  I want to know what is getting in the way of people enjoying the games so I can fix it, even if they are not sure how to fix it.
What is not acceptable criticism is making predictions about future failure of the whole system in the marketplace because some particular feature is not ideal or not liked. That is just negative projection.  We don't need those vibes here.
It is also not acceptable to accuse or criticize individual members here for their preferences.  That is not productive. Let's keep arguments about features and concepts, not people.

I'm new to moderating, and in hindsight it  would have been good to have some kind of ground rules like I described above written out somewhere from the start.  But I wouldn't have known what they should be at that time because I'm new at this.  So I'm having to figure it out as I go.
Two members have been removed in the past for violating the rules I described above.  A few post have likewise been deleted.
I don't like deleting posts, but I will do it when I think keeping them hurts the positive vibe of this community.
I'm going to delete some posts now. I apologize that some fair statements are deleted as part of removing the general negative thread that I want to remove.

I also want to make clear that Intellivision has every intention of manufacturing hardware controllers in 2024.  But for reasons I've already stated, I can't yet put a timeline on that process.   Nevertheless, I also have every intention of continuing to  improve the Amico experience for those who can't afford to buy hardware controllers when they come out.

If he was really sorry he'd refund everyone, keep a list, and if by some miracle they make it in 2025, give them the option to have their spot back.

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, a billion is more than a hundred, right? 😅

If you do Math like @Tommy Tallarico

Then most everyone like him and diehards think it's still 2021.

ezgif.com-added-text.gif.84cc24ed1ef5ac2a7f3eb4e27c2510c8.gif

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I'm so thankful this thread is still going...

It's been a wild ride...

time-to-fly-meme.gif

Hey @RetroAdvisoryBoard and @DJC, are we moving the goalposts again, or are we claiming 2024 is the year it will happen now?

It isn't like they've ever said its totally this year or it's over before...

I just want to know when they think the Mothership Footbath is going to fly in and take them to the magical land where no games will have evolved beyond bleeps and bloops and everyone has the IQ of a doughnut.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/31/2023 at 11:51 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

Yeah, it's probably some psychological thing, or just basic human nature that some people can't take a step back from and overcome, e.g., when you gamble and keep spending more money in the hopes of making it all back and then some, but neither happens and you're simply left empty inside and broke.

Sunken cost fallacy.

• Like 3

Alvarado:

I deleted 2 posts just now. They contained links to hit piece videos that are exactly the type of content I’ve stated I won’t tolerate here.  I’m sorry some fair content was deleted along with it as they were in the same post.

I also want to reiterate that posting negative opinions and projections about the future of Amico are not acceptable and will be deleted.  Probing questions about the finances and detailed plans of Intellivision are also not acceptable if I feel they they are indirectly expressing doubts and negativity about the future of Amico.  Constructive criticism of the published products is acceptable.  Getting feedback on the published products is one of the main reasons for opening this Discord to the public.

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

Sunken cost fallacy.

People who join cults and are conned have a hard time dealing with knowing they were so oblivious to the truth.

How many of the YouTubers who were guns ablazing on Amico have tried to rebrand their channels or flat out delete them?

How many of them came out and specifically apologized for the specific things they did to attack people?

1 hour ago, livingonwheels said:

Alvarado:

I deleted 2 posts just now. They contained links to hit piece videos that are exactly the type of content I’ve stated I won’t tolerate here.  I’m sorry some fair content was deleted along with it as they were in the same post.

I also want to reiterate that posting negative opinions and projections about the future of Amico are not acceptable and will be deleted.  Probing questions about the finances and detailed plans of Intellivision are also not acceptable if I feel they they are indirectly expressing doubts and negativity about the future of Amico.  Constructive criticism of the published products is acceptable.  Getting feedback on the published products is one of the main reasons for opening this Discord to the public.

I mean nothing screams healthy company than a closed community where differing opinions arent allowed.

image0.thumb.png.3f9561c1caeb7f40d1201fe2363a3ee6.png

image0-1.thumb.png.fb2f2af48a3770f5d1f22d62599ffdb9.png

Looks like a pretty reasonable concern to me.

I mean the fact that he won't talk about game sales shows they aren't selling well. If they were they would be pushing that information out to get those investors.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

They are gifts! Just having the chance to buy such amazing games and give money to such amazing people is such a treat!

Wouldn't that be something if they did what they said they were going to do?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's probably some psychological thing, or just basic human nature that some people can't take a step back from and overcome, e.g., when you gamble and keep spending more money in the hopes of making it all back and then some, but neither happens and you're simply left empty inside and broke. In this case, it might be the vain hope that with just a little more money, a little more positivity, a little more this, a little more that, it will get over the hump and the now mythologized original vision can finally become a reality.

It's that "step back" part that's probably missing most in that even if most of the original vision came to pass (and again, we know that's impossible), what would anyone really have? The whole fantasy of local multiplayer parties with friends and family was never going to be a thing for most people anyway. That to me is the saddest part about the most delusional (for lack of a kinder word, so maybe use "committed") because they're still hoping for something that was unlikely to happen in the first place. Maybe that's the whole point of keeping up the charade for some of them, i.e., they know deep down inside that the pollyannish vision was never really going to happen anyway, but they can still have that dream as long as there's still a pulse with the company. In other words, in some ways, it's BETTER that it's not a reality vis-a-vis the original sugar-plum dreams.

It didn't have to be a thing for most people. It just needed to be a niche with a large enough install base to support new game development. It may have been a long shot to get there but it would have been nice to at least see it play out, even if it failed in the market.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

He was talking specifically of Amico Shark Shark and Missile Command.  Some people prefer the ergonomics of a directional pad over a thumbstick. And it shouldn't be difficult to see how someone would find a trackpad superior to a thumbstick for Missile Command, a mouse works really well too. As far as optimising on other platforms, another company did that for Amico Shark Shark and Astrosmash.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

It didn't have to be a thing for most people. It just needed to be a niche with a large enough install base to support new game development. It may have been a long shot to get there but it would have been nice to at least see it play out, even if it failed in the market.

He was talking specifically of Amico Shark Shark and Missile Command.  Some people prefer the ergonomics of a directional pad over a thumbstick. And it shouldn't be difficult to see how someone would find a trackpad superior to a thumbstick for Missile Command, a mouse works really well too. As far as optimising on other platforms, another company did that for Amico Shark Shark and Astrosmash.

i Am Ai.............pLeAsE wAtCh Me ShIlL fOr a DeAd CoMpAnY AnD ReSpOnD WhEn No OnE wAs AsKiNg Me FoR mY NoNSenSiCle oPiNiOn.....

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Alvarado is lying on FB. Birds of a feather with @Tommy Tallarico.

image-1.thumb.png.512dc5592036fa087be8ddcf0a45ee2b.png

He says they are not a fulfillment, but a "thank you". These are not gifts. If they were it wouldn't subtract from your refund.

I feel a little bit of HOW DARE HE talk about Amazon not being as "generous" as Amazon or Apple when he's selling their Amico Home apps for $15 a pop. It's the most fragile, goofy thing I could imagine in these modern times: you need a "home" app to display the games, a "controller" app to control them, and all the games are sold separately as individual purchases, that can't just work on their own without the cumbersome two-device setup. It's so silly, it's hard to describe!

• Like 5

So long as Amico is just POTENTIALLY GREAT, they don't have to face the fact that it was always a weak idea, terribly executed. 

On 1/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, Biff Burgertime said:

Sunken cost fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costIn economics and business decision-making, a sunk cost (also known as retrospective cost) is a cost that has already been incurred and cannot be recovered.[1][2] Sunk costs are contrasted with prospective costs, which are future costs that may be avoided if action is taken.[3] In other words, a sunk cost is a sum paid in the past that is no longer relevant to decisions about the future. Even though economists argue that sunk costs are no longer relevant to future rational decision-making, people in everyday life often take previous expenditures in situations, such as repairing a car or house, into their future decisions regarding those properties.

I agree that describes the situation, and for the Intellivision team, it might even explain it. Alvarado is still getting paid, and according to LinkedIn, at least a few other people are still listed as being on the payroll, including AtariAge sweetheart @Tommy Tallarico. Why would they kill the golden goose so long as they can still draw a "reasonable" salary for doing tiny amounts of work? 

As for the people who have not collected their refunds or disassociated themselves from this project, I have no words. Still hoping to get a SUPER RARE collectible to put on their shelves? You'd think dignity and self-respect would be worth more than that. 

• Like 3