IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

On 8/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@Albert Follow up from @Eagle's post about externally linking file attachments from the AA forums:

It appears that direct links to file attachments are no longer accessible to outside websites such as JS7800 and Javatari through their file link URLs on the AA forums:

Both the old file link format of:

https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=XXXXXX
and the new link format:

https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=XXXXXX&key=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

They both appear to redirect to file storage on amazonaws.com, which I'm guessing is not able to be parsed by the websites when they are trying to load the file for emulation. I use the file links on JS7800 and Javatari for convenient playable links for the new Atari 2600 & Atari 7800 homebrew game listings.

Let me know if this is possible to fix or if I should remove the emulation links for the game listings. Thanks!

- James

@Albert  Bump! Just checking in again if I should delete all the JS7800/Javatari emulation links for homebrew listings or if this is something that is possible to be fixed?

- James

7 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

In case it doesn't get noticed or mentioned elsewhere (and apologies if it already has), the mobile theme rams the forum title and description right up against the left hand side of the screen with no padding at all; just in case this isn't intentional.

Screenshot_20220815-113211-816.thumb.jpg.f4f9c2d5276dbbefa73ffab45057261c.jpg

Yeah, the mobile theme definitely needs some work.  I will go through it and pick it to hell once I get the latest updates for the desktop theme from the theme designer. Hopefully that will happen in the next few days.

Thank you for the feedback.

..Al

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 5:53 AM, Flojomojo said:

The option to sign in anonymously (don’t show online status or last login) seems to be gone or moved. Is it coming back

This appears to have moved here:

https://forums.atariage.com/settings/account-security/

You can get to this by clicking on your username in the upper-right corner of the page, then selecting "Account Settings". When that page comes up, click on the "Security and Privacy" link on the left. One of the options you'll see is this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 1.07.12 PM.png

..Al

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:04 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@Albert  Bump! Just checking in again if I should delete all the JS7800/Javatari emulation links for homebrew listings or if this is something that is possible to be fixed?

There's not really anything that can be fixed on this side.  An CDN (Content Delivery Network) is now being used for attachments.  I can download an attachment in a new browser window if I manually use the link (paste it into the URL bar), so I'm not sure why this doesn't work for JS7800/Javatari, but hopefully it's something that can be solved.  It's possible there's security against external sites attempting to access these resources, even if they are publicly viewable on the forum.  It's something I'd need to research further.

..Al

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

There's not really anything that can be fixed on this side.  An CDN (Content Delivery Network) is now being used for attachments.  I can download an attachment in a new browser window if I manually use the link (paste it into the URL bar), so I'm not sure why this doesn't work for JS7800/Javatari, but hopefully it's something that can be solved.  It's possible there's security against external sites attempting to access these resources, even if they are publicly viewable on the forum.  It's something I'd need to research further.

..Al

Thanks Al. You might be right about it being a security measure, it's acting like an obfuscation of the real URL of the file. I'm also pretty positive that it's not anything can be done on your end. I seems it would be more on the side of the emulator websites to be able to parse the redirect code rather than expecting the game binary to come directly from the initial URL/domain.

I'll leave the links for now and delete them if a few weeks if you haven't run across anything. I've put warnings at the top of each page that the JS7800 and Javatari links currently don't work.

Thanks!

- James

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I see that the unread posts bar is still blue, which is weird because it should be quite easy to fix in CSS. At least it's very easy to write "unread posts" in another color, which make it already easier to notice.

1070547121_Screenshot2022-08-15at22-17-38Welcometotheupdatedforum!Pleaseread!.png.60aa60aebbb17508ca46388e567ba1b5.png

That's going to be fixed soon.

..Al

Just now, carlsson said:

Another minor CSS tweak is the text "X members have voted" displays in medium dark grey on blue bottom using the AtariAge theme. I'd suggest that text/link goes white to increase readability.

atariage-poll-grey.thumb.png.121d250f0d79a269c549b738ff551809.png

(example from the current A8 HSC poll)

This will be fixed with the round of changes I'm waiting on.  There are many places where this occurs (blue bar, and there's some dark gray text that's difficult to see).  Yes, I can go through and fix stuff like this relatively easily myself, but as I'm paying someone else to do that and I am pretty busy myself, it's not a good use of my time right now to spend a lot of time making minor changes like this when it will only be another day or two before they are implemented by the theme designer.  There will be lots of improvements once the list of changes I requested is implemented.  Then I can go through and make another round of fixes (as well as make a list of mobile-related changes).

..Al

• Like 2

Just now, carlsson said:

Cool. I kind of assumed it was on your big list of changes but wasn't sure exactly which ones had been spotted or not.

Please do continue to give feedback when you spot things that are obviously broken like that.  I'm sure I've missed a fair number of things, as this software is complex, and there are a ton of unique pages with a lot of elements on each page!

Thank you,

..Al

So far, the only two consistent issues I have found are:

1 - Many times, clicking the "show new posts in thread link will show me posts I have already seen.  This also happened on the old forum, but seems to happen much more frequently now.

2 - The custom stream "My Stuff" is rather slow.  It takes 10 seconds to load any content (it's set to show topics I have not read, I am following and posted in for the last 365 days via https://forums.atariage.com/discover/55/)

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

1 - Many times, clicking the "show new posts in thread link will show me posts I have already seen.  This also happened on the old forum, but seems to happen much more frequently now.

This is something I'll need to try and reproduce at some point. If I can consistently show a problem with it, I can report it to Invision to see if they can fix it (or if it's a known issue).

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

2 - The custom stream "My Stuff" is rather slow.  It takes 10 seconds to load any content (it's set to show topics I have not read, I am following and posted in for the last 365 days via https://forums.atariage.com/discover/55/)

This is likely due to using MySQL for the search engine, instead of Elasticsearch that we were using previously.  I am working on setting up Elasticsearch again, but I'm still researching whether I can get away with an inexpensive Amazon ES setup or if I'm going to need to run it on a server myself.  I also need to make sure it's configured properly so searches cannot be intercepted. Previously Elasticsearch was running on the same server as the web server, so it was closed completely to outside traffic.  So it needs to be properly walled off so only the AtariAge Forum can make queries and also update the search index.

I am rather eager to get that setup, as slow search results drive me nuts.

..Al

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, the mobile theme definitely needs some work.  I will go through it and pick it to hell once I get the latest updates for the desktop theme from the theme designer. Hopefully that will happen in the next few days

For when you start picking through the mobile theme (and assuming it is related) : when browsing the list of topics, in the old forum you could tap the post time, e.g., "3 hours ago" to open the most recent post.   The new forum opens the topic's first post instead.

I'm just posting this here, but Albert addressed it to me already.. just fyi..

I'm using Android and things are different, I used to get alerts at the tos, now I have to click the top right menu button and see if I have messages or new content and then I've got to click on one or the other from their.

Also, when doing a search, I enter my search data and then instead of hitting return on my phone keyboard which I'm already typing on for entering search content, , I have to scroll down to the bottom, past a list of options to find the return button (search button)...

Anyway.. that is being addressed,

But because I'm always on the run and use my phone for almost 90 percent of all my uses, I hope it'll be corrected..it was just fine prior to the upgrade.. thank you..

It's similar to where people don't have a TI computer, but still code using classic 99, here I'm using my phone for Atariage communication, not a PC.

Screenshot_20220815-193303-128.png