IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

By the way, Kirk at least had a point regarding the exposure of SNES on AtariAge. For instance, I knew about Block'em Sock'em both for Jaguar and Atari 7800 because there are dedicated topics here, but I discovered recently there's a SNES version. I probably wouldn't have known if I didn't know the developer...

Perhaps his only point. Yet sadly he didn't do this sub forum any good in that area. He only discouraged genuine forum activity about this console due to his antics.

Most visitors got to the point that they were coming here just to see what silliness he was pushing that day, rather than wanting to engage with like minded fans of this system.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

Most visitors got to the point that they were coming here just to see what silliness he was pushing that day, rather than wanting to engage with like minded fans of this system.

Basically. I thought the whole thing was rather entertaining. The level of ignorance on display was something rarely experienced here.

On the other hand though, I have been playing a lot more SNES over the last month or two, which could potentially be a result of stopping into this forum so often for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

Eh, I'm not going to be waxing nostalgic about that idiot derailing an entire subforum for multiple months. The rabid lunacy on display couldn't have helped the dev scene, as you had actual devs spending their valuable time explaining things to him, fruitlessly, and if I were developing an SNES game, I wouldn't want to talk about it anywhere near where I knew he was lurking, which seems to be everywhere.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if I get anywhere with SFXLib, I'll post about it in the 3DO section, I don't think he'll find it there.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Killer Instinct really was full of complex and cryptic bullshit as far as gameplay goes. You had tons of combos, fatalities and even humiliating finishers, just like Mortal Kombat 3, yet learning all of them was extremely difficult. Rare wasn't particularly well known for its fighting games, so it came as no surprise that KI would turn out kinda half baked, but it had a lot of style and the music was amazing.

Yeah that is something I'd agree with.  The game was equal parts good and bad, half baked fits that 100%.  The ambiance, and that sound track are something special.  I've got that Killer Cuts CD even and MP3'd that thing to my phone as it's worth a listen still.  MK3 was awful, so done with that franchise when it more toward button and run button mashing stupidity than calculated paced play the two before had.

As others pointed out acting like a kirkhead was largely bad, and it was a source of watching a literal trainwreck style shock and awe you could not just ignore or sadly turn away from.  Yet, despite all the lies, delusion, fluffing and other stupidity which in turn went to lots of time wasting from known smart SNES developers.  Yet that wasted time got people who have functioning brain cells to read and at some level understand what really is going on and how it works by example even bringing Kulor here to clean up that fools ramblings which is a plus.  And as others pointed out, his stupid behavior got people to play the system more which I'm sure a lot of his fanboy rantings were reaching out to want anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah that is something I'd agree with.  The game was equal parts good and bad, half baked fits that 100%.  The ambiance, and that sound track are something special.  I've got that Killer Cuts CD even and MP3'd that thing to my phone as it's worth a listen still.  MK3 was awful, so done with that franchise when it more toward button and run button mashing stupidity than calculated paced play the two before had.

I'd argue Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is much better, or even Mortal Kombat Trilogy if you want to play it on consoles. It fixes most of the original version's flaws, plus it includes all of the characters created up to that point in the franchise. I think you should give it a chance 

20 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Killer Instinct really was full of complex and cryptic bullshit as far as gameplay goes. You had tons of combos, fatalities and even humiliating finishers, just like Mortal Kombat 3, yet learning all of them was extremely difficult. Rare wasn't particularly well known for its fighting games, so it came as no surprise that KI would turn out kinda half baked, but it had a lot of style and the music was amazing.

I don't know, but that's you, not me.  I've had MKT on the 64 a few times over the decades.  I just can't get into how they radically changed the game from the more slower tactical almost approach MK1 and 2 used to that.

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

To be fair there's "Mockup" in the title of the video... Or did he add it afterwards?

I don't think that's the problem. It's like the phrase "I don't mean any disrespect but" doesn't absolve me of any disrespect if I say that first.

So like first saying mockup and then going around the world to explain how your wee mockup is totally doable 100% in the SNEzzz.

And to be fair, I'm way past fair. I treat him as being dishonest 100% of the time until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To be fair there's "Mockup" in the title of the video... Or did he add it afterwards?

Nope, the full title including the word "Mockup" and the "(read description)" part was there all along. Along with the actual description detailing how it could be achieved within SNES' limitations. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

2 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Nope, it was there all along. Along with the description detailing how it could be achieved within SNES' limitations.

In your head, basing it on other peoples individual achievements, which you of course believe can all be done at once in a reasonable amount of MS.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, anyone know how I can quickly skip to different levels in Donkey Kong Country 3 in say Mesen-S (beta), as I want to check the level the clip below should automatically jump to and see if this is actually an example of the SNES running a fully playable platform game with a lovely line-scrolled 8bpp foreground layer, a nice line-scrolled 2bpp or 4bpp background layer, a smooth HDMA'd backdrop gradient, along with the lovely animated player(s), enemies and pickups, etc:

It's always good when you can find existing working examples in commercial SNES games of the things you are thinking about, just so you can confirm the general idea is definitely possible as a starting point.

I'm not entirely sure if it is or isn't an example of 8bpp visuals during actual gameplay, but it looks so nice on SNES that I suspect it might just be (it's almost how I imagine a SNES version of Finding Nemo might look with its nigh-Pixar [in lower-res] visuals there). And, if not, it just shows how good you can make visuals using the more standard modes look on SNES.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1