IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

Jesuschrist, what kind of wall text did i just read? Kirk is indeed a mysterious individual, nearly approaching that lolcow status X'D

For context, the article is about how the OG release of Street Fighter II on SNES did not have the quirk of the arcade original which allowed players to execute combos, which was initially seen by Capcom as an unintended feature. The Genesis version does have that quirk though...

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/11/did-you-know-snes-street-fighter-ii-is-missing-a-key-feature-of-the-arcade-original

• Haha 3

Regardless of who it is, there's a lot of misinformation in those comments.  Depending on who you ask at Capcom, the chain combos were either unintentional but left in because they were fun (most interviews with Capcom that I've read), or were designed to be there from the start (Ichiro Mihara Capcom/Arika, who was also involved in developing the MD version of SF2CE).

Some of the commenters mention that the "bug" was removed in later versions of SF, in some kind of attempt to claim that the SFC SF2 is the definitive version of the game (even over the arcade version).  However, as the article itself even mentions, the chain combos were actually kept on all the CPS1 SF games (SF2, CE, HF) but removed starting with SSF2, which revamped a lot of the mechanics and introduced a similar but different combo system (renda/kara cancels).  Surely, if Capcom wanted the "bug" fixed, they would have removed it before release, during a minor update, or in CE/HF arcade.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Jesuschrist, what kind of wall text did i just read? Kirk is indeed a mysterious individual, nearly approaching that lolcow status X'D

For context, the article is about how the OG release of Street Fighter II on SNES did not have the quirk of the arcade original which allowed players to execute combos, which was initially seen by Capcom as an unintended feature. The Genesis version does have that quirk though...

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/11/did-you-know-snes-street-fighter-ii-is-missing-a-key-feature-of-the-arcade-original

Jeez. For contrast, he's my takeaway from that article... first a little context. I was born in late 80s so SFII was one of the first "big deals" in gaming that I remember, everybody knew about it. I would ask kids on the playground how to do certain moves then eagerly wait to get home that day to try them out. I recall asking someone how to do a Hurricane Kick in the SNES game, and he responded "You mean The Windmill? Just press L!" Still not sure what "The Windmill" is but move names weren't set in stone back then anyways, especially on the console versions. To this day, I hear Guile's death nose as "Rupaul... Rupaul... Rupaul..."

While I never owned any version of SFII, its popularity meant rental stores always had tons of copies available. Sometimes I'd walk in hoping to find Turbo, but would happily settle for the original. In more recent times, a little over a year ago I discovered Fightcade and have been going to town on Super Street Fighter II Turbo which is basically the ultimate form of SFII and is still played competitively to this day! There's been a couple pseudo-sequels since (Revival on GBA, HD Remix on 360) but Super Turbo remains the definitive version of SFII.

According to my Fightcade profile, I've spent 42h playing Super Turbo over the past year... happily!

Point is, SFII and its many versions has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It's one of those topics I'm familiar enough with that I can enjoy deep dives into it, whether it's browsing TCRF or diving into longform articles about its creation - multiple times. By now I know just about all there is to know about this beloved game... or so I thought! I'd never heard of CPS1 Chains before. I have read countless times about how the developers discovered combos late in development, but didn't both patching it out/changing anything as they didn't feel it would affect the game much. I always figured they simply referred to the way you can cancel certain moves into others, and form primitive combos (meaning, just a few hits) if you mixed up the right combination of moves. Apparently there's more to it than that, I had no idea... awesome!

Again: I can't overstate how rare it is to learn something new about SFII at this stage of my life, but this article managed to do it. Bravo! That article was something for know-it-all fans of SFII who could use a reminder that there's always more out there to discover.

You'd have to be a total ass clown to read that and interpret it as a super-serious declaration of war between consoles. You'd have to be an even bigger fool to equate the ubiquitous Genesis 6-button pad with some super high-end arcade stick nobody has even heard of. ASCII was making arcade sticks for both consoles back then, anyone interested in one of those would go that route. It must get tiring living every waking moment on edge, constantly wondering "Is that an attack on the SNES?" "Was that the Genesis being compared favorably just now?!"

What a maroon.

Back to reality, I love SFII. Here's some fun links if anyone cares to dive down the rabbit hole with me.

• Like 3

Yeah, the 6-button pad thing is pretty much bunk, especially nowadays. They were never hard to get, they often came with the machine, and these days, I'd wager that it's actually harder to find a 3-button pad than a 6, but I already bought all the Genesis controllers I'll ever need years ago (all 6-button turbo pads, and they were cheap!) so I haven't looked for them in a while, although 8bitdo is selling new production pads that are wireless and those are all 6-button, I believe.

Then again, why grouse over which machine had the better SF2 port when there are many, many ways to play an arcade perfect port on virtually any machine made in the last 20 years?

Edited by WavyGravy
  • Like 3

Yeah, and if anyone's interested in playing the definitive arcade version of SFII, Super Turbo, online vs other human players, I can't recommend Fightcade enough. Just download+install that, then google "Fightcade JSON pack" and follow its instructions. What that does is, upon joining any game lobby, it'll check to see that you've got the correct ROM files and if not, download them automatically. That's it- you're good to go!

Fightcade supports any game for arcade (FBNeo), Sega NAOMI/Dreamcast (Flycast), SNES (Snes9x), and Genesis (?). Just click the big magnifying glass icon once installed to browse game lobbies. You can search for a specific game, or browse by popularity. Street Fighter III: Third Strike is by far the most active game, but plenty of other games have active communities. I rarely have trouble finding opponents in Super Turbo, even with my atypical sleep cycle.

Hell, you can even use it to play along if you wish. Every game has a "Test Game" function primarily used to test your controller setup, but you could just as well use it as an emulator frontend. Popular games also have a "Training" button next to it, which provides functions like seeing your inputs & hitboxes.

• Like 1

It's a bug, but a bug left in.  I started on the arcade, tired of 50/50 losing quarters so when the SNES version dropped I grabbed it and cranked it up 7(max) and got good in short order to stop losing quarters.  I saw that little stunt, but the articles naming of it confused me.  I never really used it, seemed like a glitch.  There were a number of combos I just like to chain together and go at it depending on the character, Ryu/Ken, Guile in particular, but a few others too and it worked well against the other high level locals on that machine so whatever.

But to call the article some fascist sega fanboy conspiracy is crack head, and it's kirkhead, and it is kirk, that's not even debate.  He uses a few names to flow the palm leaves over the sand to cover them tracks, but it's him.

And thanks @Biff Burgertime, that last one on Gameboy that guy is on point.  That's how *I* have played the GB Street Fighter II over the years.  Yeah it's not a smooth game, it runs at a low frame rate, but damn that game is for what is in there intact and works.  Those chains are those I'd pull in the arcade and SNES versions when I wanted to get better to not lose coin put up on the glass by those waiting.  Sure more love to point out how damn tight Samurai Shodown (and other NG-Takara chibi ports) is with the full characters, speed, and move sets are but Capcom did a pretty acceptable job even with the compromises there.  Like you SF2's variants into the Super series was a huge thing on the same level for me as it was you, and continued to be through out the 90s into SF3 on DC, even the imports like the PCE release I got an Avenue6 pad to enjoy properly(though I could do the Sega switch for less it wasn't as fun.)  I'm grossly out of practice now compared to then and SF4 utter cheating AI put me off the franchise so bad I didn't even play 5 or 6, but I still enjoy the 2 series.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

"kirkhead".. I love it!

As far as a bug or unintended, or intended. I'd call bullshit on its intention. That's some Japanese developer backtrack talk to save pride haha. Given a complex system, and combos did exist, I'd imagine it was more of a risk to correct it and easier to just leave it in (given that it wasn't supposedly widely known). The only issue I remember were "jab-throws" combos.. which I think were in the console ports. I specifically remember people calling out in arcade matches at local shops.. rules like "no jab-throws". 

Kirk's argument about the 6 button controller is stupid. Okay, maybe if you're 6 years old, got the game for x-mas on the SNES.. then you might have a point. Because you didn't have money to buy a 6 button pad or something. Everyone I knew that had a copy of SF2-whatever-version had a 6 button pad (or a pair).. for Genesis. 

It does seem silly to even argue which version is better - because we can all now play the original arcade versions. As much as Kirk loves being a kirkhead, you'll see sega fanbois in the comments (on X, which this drama started) with stuff like "I always knew SF2SCE on MD was superior to SNES version.. and now I have proof". Not just Kirk still living these console wars haha. This is important to a lot of Sega fans for also who the console war never ended.

My one and only issue with Genesis SF2SCE back in the day, was the horrible "laryngitis" voices. Other than Guiles stage looking a bit fugly, the colors were fine. It was the voices I couldn't get over. A friend had gotten it before I had a chance to pick it up... I skipped on that version. I picked up a used copy of the SNES Turbo a year or two later... didn't play it much. I had gotten my fill with CE in the arcade and was burnt out on SF2. I never understood how people could play SF2 like it was Tetris (never ending replay value) - I moved on to other games. I had a Genesis and SNES, and Turbo-Duo BITD. I import games, mostly for Genesis and Duo. But I skipped over the PCE version; I didn't buy/play it until like 2003.

Off topic, but sorta related: I never understood the obsession/belief that arcade games with FM always had the superior sound. I mean, just because it's FM (YM2151). I often found arcade sound-tracks were fine, but nothing special or emotionally attached to (the sound of the instruments). IMO most of the time they lacked character, and some/most even had that thin-steely sounding instruments (which I didn't sounded superior) that to my ears just sounded "generic". I liked console's take on renditions of arcade games music. Even when it came to Genesis ports of arcade games where they changed up the instruments a bit (Vapor Trail, Ghouls n' Ghosts, etc). That said, being close as possible to the SF2 arcade sound-tracks, as it needing to sound almost exactly the same with FM instruments, always seemed silly to me. I still find the SNES and PCE renditions of the SF2 sound-track to be more interesting than the arcade version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think with FM synth arcade soundtracks it really depends on the game. In the case of Street Fighter 2 the CPS1 renditions have this really punchy energetic feel to them. This feel is carried over to the CPS2 renditions even though they're now done with PCM samples. So it's not necessarily that it has to be FM synth, it's simply that it needs to capture that energy. In general I feel the Genesis and PC Engine renditions tend to capture that feel more than the SNES version. That said there are some tracks that are just poorly redone on all three. Vega's/Balrog's theme is a good example of this. On CPS1 there's a ton of energy in it and on all the console ports it just feels like someone took the wind out of the sails.

With needing to sound exactly like the arcade I think that stems more on the Genesis side due to the similarities in the sound hardware. As a result it seems odd that they didn't try to make it sound closer to the Arcade version like Konami did with stuff like Hyperstone Heist. Which that game is another good comparison. Both the SNES and Genesis versions sound great and capture the punchy energy of the arcade. The main reason I lean towards the Genesis version is mainly because I find some instruments on SNES are a but grating. There's also a noticeable stop between each note that gives a kind of feel like your SNES has the hiccups or something as it's playing it. I think TmEE pointed that out to me years ago and I've never been able to unhear it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

With needing to sound exactly like the arcade I think that stems more on the Genesis side due to the similarities in the sound hardware. As a result it seems odd that they didn't try to make it sound closer to the Arcade version like Konami did with stuff like Hyperstone Heist. Which that game is another good comparison. Both the SNES and Genesis versions sound great and capture the punchy energy of the arcade. The main reason I lean towards the Genesis version is mainly because I find some instruments on SNES are a but grating. There's also a noticeable stop between each note that gives a kind of feel like your SNES has the hiccups or something as it's playing it. I think TmEE pointed that out to me years ago and I've never been able to unhear it.

I think the Mega Drive's lacking soundtrack is mostly because they were working off of the Turbo edition on SNES, and they tried to stick as close as possible to that version. The result is some rather mediocre music with tinny FM patches and crappy voice samples on top of that, which certainly didn't help the console wars arguments. I think you already knew this, but there's an unreleased version of normal Champion Edition for the Mega Drive, which Capcom outsourced to a third party company when they made the famous deal with Sega. I'd suggest everyone should listen to its OST, it's way closer to the CPS1 original despite some unfinished rough edges 

Edited by Cris1997XX

While I prefer the SNES games overall (nicer to look at, voices aren’t irritating), I really enjoy that the Genesis soundtrack is more like the arcade’s. I appreciate when a console port is able to replicate its source material well, especially during this era. To be fair though, I am generally a fan of CPS1 OSTs, in particular Street Fighter II, King of Dragons and Magic Sword.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, turboxray said:

"kirkhead".. I love it!

As far as a bug or unintended, or intended. I'd call bullshit on its intention. That's some Japanese developer backtrack talk to save pride haha...

Kirk's argument about the 6 button controller is stupid...

It does seem silly to even argue which version is better - because we can all now play the original arcade versions. As much as Kirk loves being a kirkhead, you'll see sega fanbois...

My one and only issue with Genesis SF2SCE back in the day, was the horrible "laryngitis" voices...

Off topic, but sorta related:...

You're welcome, just came to me after writing crack head and perhaps it's easier to just stick to that going forward. :P

I'd agree with you it's a bug, probably one that couldn't be addressed in time for production to both save face with stock holders and expectation, but also just personal face to allowing it given their honor based system of life and lifestyle there.

And yes his and Sega fanboys argument about the 3vs6 button pad was stupid, still is stupid.  As I pointed out, anytime I've ever owned a JP side NEC console I sought out SF2CE + 6 button pad, it's just required.  I mean I can play it on 3, it's just not fun having to toggle as it's a hassle on there and Sega.  And you're right yes, they're far more notorious for it than Nintendo fanboys.  My guess it's just the inferior (raw CPU speed aside) output of the hardware caused a bit of pre-teen peen envy and it never got shaken off.  It's not that Sega had poor games or bad games in a much larger number than Nintendo, the hardware just didn't cut it as well as Sega gimped their arcade offshoot a bit too much.  But for those who knew their shit, they did stuff very high brow that counteracted a lot of it.  I hated Sega in the 90s largely because of their lying arrogant manipulative ad practices, same reason I didn't drink Pepsi products with their fake ass taste test... lie to sell blatantly, I'll go with the other guy. :)  I never ignored it though, just played others until I got one later without paying Sega (until Dreamcast came along.)  My beef with SF2CE-Gen/MD is the voice #1, and #2 it just didn't look as nice either, it was faster though, but felt a bit too faster than the arcade even it was just strange.  The PCE game I never owned it until the 2000s because a US Duo wouldn't do that, but I've had a registered copy of MAGIC ENGINE since it came out so I've had a PCE+TG rom library off and on since the mid 90s, so I schooled myself on it there.  The colors rival if not surpass the SNES, the audio is on par with the SNES almost too, dramatically closer to the arcade than Genesis for sure, it's just amazingly good.

Back in the 90s I had NES-GB(+P)-SNES-VBoy-N64-a friends GG too.  N64 stumbled, I went multi-plat with a US Duo from Turbo Zone Direct, bought a lot of games local and from them CD/JP CDS, and US cards.  I got a Gen3 from an aussie LD gf in the 90s with a stack of duplicate games as she just wanted a few and me shipping was far cheaper so it was payment, got a Nomad shortly after.  The rest is sequential history of Nintendo handhelds/consoles, DC then Saturn, PS1 and 2, NGPC, and GC and GBA, and so on.

On those systems most had a SF2 release of sorts and I've got them.  Saturn had something imported of quality.  DC is obvious.  Sony had their stuff as did their stuff too.  Eventually even VB got Hyper Fighting Turbo edition as an epic solid homebrew which I have and damn it's on point.  SF2 just kind of transcends time and releases, people may come along and continue with the franchise, but an equal amount if not more stop with some variation of SF2 because it is still kept alive as nothing was more just finely tuned and done so well I guess.  And on your off topic, agreed when YM audio is done right on arcade it is just that, shame the Gen version of the YM was gimped to being largely usually metallic and tinny sounding.  Music though at least YM on the 2610 on the Neo Geo though broke that mold repeatedly, some utterly stunning music that is emotionally attachable to if you go poke around a bit.  An example some of the earlier Samurai SHodown or Last Battle vintage japanese music style tracks are just stunning, but so are some of the sci fi rips in things like Blazing Star.  But in general, yeah, the SNES and PCE renditions either from the ones samples or the other style of audio generation PCE did it just was a lot better.  It's kind of comedic to me the PCE was the answer to beat the Famicom (and it did for years) and was out a year earlier than the MD in Japan, and yet somehow the more advanced MD has worse visual and audio capability in general, especially audio.  The tiny console was ahead of its time.

@Cris1997XX Thanks for the clip.  That's the game I own on cartridge here, got it from my friend in Taiwan a few months back along with a legit CIB Sailor Moon for MD as well.  The music is so much better in that game, and the voices are clearer, both are just closer to SNES which is amazing.  CHeck this out, this share is at the moment battle starts in the game, listen to the voices, they're really quite SNES close which is a sickening shame the sold copy is the unpolished turd people had to pay for when this exists.

Edited by Tanooki

If you wanna play Street Fighter 2 on Genesis, at this point you really should try out the different hacks that have been done over the years. Pyron made a Patch that improved the colors, and Stef fixed the sound driver. Both patches can be combined which results in a pretty nice experience:

No changes in the actual voice samples, just a better driver. The base samples I think are about the same quality as the PC-Engine port? There's also Pyron's Remastered Patch:

I think the latest one has MSU-MD+ support, which from what I understand is pretty much Sega CD Mode 1 and can work on a real Sega CD with any flash cart?:

There's similar ones for Super Street Fighter 2 as well I believe.

• Like 3

I'd just like to point out all the many programming topics, console/game engine limitations and the clever ways developers work around them, and countless other topics (this list could go on forever) that have been the result of us nerd masses popping up to correct Kirk's virtually-endless amount of misunderstandings regarding the limits of aging game hardware. Without his sheer willpower to continue on in the face of insurmountable odds and countless more experienced individuals who've actually put the time into doing the things he whines are impossible, I never would've learned as much as I have about some of these console quirks, or learned so much via the various rabbit holes I've gone down via the various links and explanations posted here.

What a visionary. Perhaps this was his plan along, making a fool of himself in order to educate those of us that are just as hungry to learn as he may appear on the surface, but with the tiniest bit of humility required to shut up long enough to show some humility and do some reading. Thank you Kirk!

(or maybe he's simply big enough of a fool to draw out those that actually know what they're talking about. Either way, those of you that actually have a clue what you're talking about have lead me down some interesting paths in recent months. It's been fun, now if you'll excuse me I've got some Fightcade'ing to do!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

And thanks @Biff Burgertime, that last one on Gameboy that guy is on point.  That's how *I* have played the GB Street Fighter II over the years.  Yeah it's not a smooth game, it runs at a low frame rate, but damn that game is for what is in there intact and works.  Those chains are those I'd pull in the arcade and SNES versions when I wanted to get better to not lose coin put up on the glass by those waiting.  Sure more love to point out how damn tight Samurai Shodown (and other NG-Takara chibi ports) is with the full characters, speed, and move sets are but Capcom did a pretty acceptable job even with the compromises there.  Like you SF2's variants into the Super series was a huge thing on the same level for me as it was you, and continued to be through out the 90s into SF3 on DC, even the imports like the PCE release I got an Avenue6 pad to enjoy properly(though I could do the Sega switch for less it wasn't as fun.)  I'm grossly out of practice now compared to then and SF4 utter cheating AI put me off the franchise so bad I didn't even play 5 or 6, but I still enjoy the 2 series.

It's funny, I never played SF4 before or since - but I showed up to a SF4 tournament back when the game was new, and easily won as Adon! We even did a 5 vs 5 afterwards and I ended up beating 4 of the other team's opponents haha. That was the night I learned that everyone uses pseudonyms in the FGC, and thanks to that one guy deemed me knees (for the unfamiliar, Adon does a lot of Muay-Thai knee strikes). I had zero clue what to refer to myself as before that.

In the time since I found that competitive players spend so much time fighting other competitive players, that they sometimes get so used to skilled play that they don't know what to do when someone walks in and doesn't really know what they're doing. I mean, fortunately I had played enough of the preceding SF games to know the moves and SF4 was full of characters from prior games. But as for SF4's mechanics, I hadn't a clue.

Once SF5 came out though, they changed things up enough that I simply got destroyed every round.

The only fighting game I was competitive at before that was Tekken, thanks to my years at the mall arcade before the arcade closed and the mall was torn out shortly after that RIP. Good times, I miss them.

Tekken's another good example of a game that allowed you to skate by on things learned in prior games, with little changing with each sequel between minor balancing tweaks... that is, until they added that damn "Rage" mechanic in whichever Tekken (7? 8?), that messed me all up. Once a player had just a tiny of bit of health left, they could unleash an ultra strong "Rage" move which started off with a slow-mo effect. It threw off my instructs horribly, as the "suddenly feeling like I'm underwater" change in physics usually caused me to play defensively while I gained my bearings but by the time that effect was over, the other player was unleashing their desperation move - typically right on target. RIP.

I'm no fighting game wiz or anything - I learned the characters/moves back in the day, then anything that's evolved past the early 2000s... I'm clueless about.

@Biff Burgertime My hate of SF4 goes to the Ai on single player, have no interest at all competing with nuts who put in hours a day as that's sub zero level fun value to me.  The AI is broken in the original release of the title basically.  I took hours testing it between normal arcade mode(on PS3) then the training area where you can tweak things.  I found the AI seemingly whether on low or max difficulty nearly at the same frequency would basically seemingly like a psychic read what your move your were doing mid-move, conveniently, so at the right moment it could do the one effective counter to break it and harm you.  It would do this semi-aggressively.  Whether on default hard or easiest it seemed to kick in around fight 3-5 of the max needed to get the end boss, and when it did it was like a door being slammed shut with an obvious difficulty spike.  That's what put me off it, then with the botched SF5 rollout with a barely functional game, only for multi, and only getting like 6-12mo later the 1P mode going and kinks worked out I just didn't bother at all and went back to messing with SF2 variants or Alpha 1&2 to get a fix.  I was competitive in the 90s early 00s with the likes of the SF2 and 3 variants, Alpha2, the SNK/Capcom hybrid and various SNK games like KoF98 and SS1&3.  I just don't much care anymore, casual and it's fine. :)  I want to enjoy my time not get pissed.

• Like 2

Umk3_Classic_Sub-Zero_pose.png.78cf14199816b2a36a0a945b0e0ac9b4.png

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

that's sub zero level fun value

149-1492087_sub-zero-crying.png.508152f63a1ae07d1e328c5f034ae586.png

To be seriouser, I have never been a fighting game consumer, although I rather like the simplicity of SFII and SSFII. But if you introduce combos, breakers, parries, counters etc I'm going to nope out. But even though I won't play them, I have to appreciate the abundance of awesome soundtracks these newer fighting games provide. SFIV and V have some of the best in recent memory (along with the rebooted Killer Instinct). I even bought the OSTs for these while not having played any of them. 

And I don't often get digital crushes but hot damn is not Laura's theme from SFV as sexy and boisterous as she is. I'd like to get smothered by those...erm thighs? Yes, thighs. 

36 minutes ago, Wayler said:

149-1492087_sub-zero-crying.png.508152f63a1ae07d1e328c5f034ae586.png

To be seriouser, I have never been a fighting game consumer, although I rather like the simplicity of SFII and SSFII. But if you introduce combos, breakers, parries, counters etc I'm going to nope out. But even though I won't play them, I have to appreciate the abundance of awesome soundtracks these newer fighting games provide. SFIV and V have some of the best in recent memory (along with the rebooted Killer Instinct). I even bought the OSTs for these while not having played any of them. 

And I don't often get digital crushes but hot damn is not Laura's theme from SFV as sexy and boisterous as she is. I'd like to get smothered by those...erm thighs? Yes, thighs. 

Hah cute, never seen that.  MK lost me with the game converting to a button masher with 3 with RUN thrown in, but that and Liu Kang with Scorpion were my go-to.

Either way, I largely feel the same.  Basic level stuff like you got with the POW bar in Samurai SHodown 3, the turbo meter in SFA2/Turbo was fine too, but KI really pushed my tolerances for the bs and while i've retained it I didn't want to put up with it at better than defaults as it just feels overly cheap and idiotic...a nope out situation.  I like more slower tactical thinking to the stuff, not some couching tiger ballet of bs.  The sound, the art, the stories...sweet, I've moved to some of those in anime format or other.  But just too much bitchslappy play, counters, counters to counters, I have no interest in that crap.  I never looked at SF5 but SF6 the art, and them aging the main players up into the later 30s earlier 40s from the old SF2 era they look stunning.  I'm curious to try maybe after I upgrade the PC (not that this won't run it fantastic but download caps) to try the free demo out on steam.  I just don't appreciate fighters much anymore, so I stick to my old carts and NeoGeo (few) fighters I've held onto over the last 5 years or so now.

By the way, Kirk at least had a point regarding the exposure of SNES on AtariAge. For instance, I knew about Block'em Sock'em both for Jaguar and Atari 7800 because there are dedicated topics here, but I discovered recently there's a SNES version. I probably wouldn't have known if I didn't know the developer...

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hah cute, never seen that.  MK lost me with the game converting to a button masher with 3 with RUN thrown in, but that and Liu Kang with Scorpion were my go-to.

Either way, I largely feel the same.  Basic level stuff like you got with the POW bar in Samurai SHodown 3, the turbo meter in SFA2/Turbo was fine too, but KI really pushed my tolerances for the bs and while i've retained it I didn't want to put up with it at better than defaults as it just feels overly cheap and idiotic...a nope out situation.  I like more slower tactical thinking to the stuff, not some couching tiger ballet of bs.  The sound, the art, the stories...sweet, I've moved to some of those in anime format or other.  But just too much bitchslappy play, counters, counters to counters, I have no interest in that crap.  I never looked at SF5 but SF6 the art, and them aging the main players up into the later 30s earlier 40s from the old SF2 era they look stunning.  I'm curious to try maybe after I upgrade the PC (not that this won't run it fantastic but download caps) to try the free demo out on steam.  I just don't appreciate fighters much anymore, so I stick to my old carts and NeoGeo (few) fighters I've held onto over the last 5 years or so now.

Killer Instinct really was full of complex and cryptic bullshit as far as gameplay goes. You had tons of combos, fatalities and even humiliating finishers, just like Mortal Kombat 3, yet learning all of them was extremely difficult. Rare wasn't particularly well known for its fighting games, so it came as no surprise that KI would turn out kinda half baked, but it had a lot of style and the music was amazing.

• Like 1