IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

41 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I've also explained that a bazillion times in here in the past, so not going to go over it again, suffice to say the direct SNES programming part is not the part for me, as is and should be my free choice.

Let's just assume these are clever ideas about the capabilities of the hardware.  Is there anyone left in a position to actually do anything with them that you haven't alienated at this point?  Doesn't appear that way.  So, then, what's the point if you're not going to use them yourself?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

Then what do you hope to achieve by talking about programming that you don't understand?

When I saw your threads, I thought you wanted to get something done, but it looks like you just want anyone but you to put in the work. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I can't see any point beyond that.

You'll soon be welcomed to his list, I bet.

lol

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Let's just assume these are clever ideas about the capabilities of the hardware.  Is there anyone left in a position to actually do anything with them that you haven't alienated at this point?  Doesn't appear that way.  So, then, what's the point if you're not going to use them yourself?

Well, if you thoroughly check these forums then you will see that despite certain people constantly "contributing" to every one of my threads, the threads are also viewed by more than just those people who bother to actually type a comment, and the threads exist online for future Internet visitors to maybe see at some point too, so I'm posting for anyone who's on roughly the same page as me when it comes to SNES [development] and sees something they might find interesting and/or useful in any of my threads, be that now or in a years' time. The rest is just an unfortunate side effect of teh Internet.

For the record, I also post/share my ideas on my YouTube channel, my Twitter page, my iNCEPTIONAL blog, and sometimes a couple of other places as well. Just like a bazillion other people do in this day and age, and plenty of SNES fans too.

Like I said, on my part at least, there's nothing more complicated or insidious to it than that.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Well, if you thoroughly check these forums then you will see that despite certain people constantly "contributing" to every one of my threads, the threads are also viewed by more than just those people who bother to actually type a comment, and the threads exist online for future Internet visitors to maybe see at some point too, so I'm posting for anyone who's on roughly the same page as me when it comes to SNES [development] and sees something they might find interesting and/or useful in any of my threads, be that now or in a years' time.

Kirky here is forgetting that the allure of car crashes and train wrecks rarely includes active participation and more rarely the need for instructions to create one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Well, let's see it again with this specific latest version of the platformer example for the benefit of this new guy:

And, certainly, let's see an explanation for how my example running on a SNES emulator is all just an illusion. . . .

For starters your shadows are overlapping with each other in ways that flat out can't work on the SNES due to how the effect works on the hardware. This kind of issue is happening constantly in the video:

ShadowsBroke.thumb.PNG.93e31f79eca9573dfa890e7b9471b311.PNG

See how the Goomba shadow is overtop Alucard and Alucards shadow blending with both of them? This flat out wouldn't work and you'd get weird clipping issues if you tried to do it. As for the rest of it you were already at or exceeding VRAM limitations previously and already exhausting most of your HDMA channels just to draw NES graphics overtop a static Toy Story image. I would not be surprised if you're now exceeding those limits again. But I'll let Kulor or Turboxray break that down if they want to.

As for the Mode 0 demo, if I remember correctly it was a flickering mess on real hardware and wasn't even close to what you were later trying to do in Game Maker. We were never doubting that ones existence. What we were pointing out was the following:

1. You didn't make it.
  2. It looks hideous due to 2bpp graphics.
  3. You don't need to use Mode 0 to pull that off. You could pull that off on the Genesis with just 2 background layers and have 4bpp graphics. So why not use Mode 1 on SNES where you have 2 4bpp layers and 1 2bpp layer to work with? You could get the same results in parallax and have the benefit of a much nicer looking game.

The main issue with you is the dishonesty. You go around claiming your an SNES dev yet you've never written a single thing to run on the SNES. You go around claiming your game maker demos are SNES homebrew, but they're not. If you were just honest we wouldn't be having these issues. But you're not, so here we are. If you want to actually try and salvage your reputation here, then why don't you start trying to actually make something run on the SNES yourself? You've told us you know C from when you worked at Rockstar, and there's a pretty good C Library for the SNES with plenty of demos for you to get started with. Some of the projects you've posted here are even built using it: https://github.com/alekmaul/pvsneslib

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@MrTrust Losing my mind, are you nuts?  Perhaps you're a friend of his?  We're fed up with his lies, half truths, and bs, that's it and all we can do is refute and vent since management seems ok with keeping him around despite the ignores and blocks going as far as Punisher(a staffer who nicely didn't agree with him either he didn't appreciate.)

We pay attention to it because anyone who doesn't have a rudimentary grasp of how the hardware works, and more so, those who can't code to actually run physical examples why his work fails, or those who can write up long train techno jargon that proves it likely will fall into believing his half truths and lies.  All we can do is sound off annoyingly time and time again as a series of warning signs to help people realize he's a troll and a deluded fool(if not pathological attention seeking liar.)  He has been banned off reddit, snes dev, discord, and elsewhere for peddling the same faked SNES examples, arguing with those who don't agree with him, the gaslighting and the rest.  Somehow it has been overlooked here, so since we can't remove him, all we can do is keep responding over and over again why it's bs.

I mean in base level I agree with you, he's not worth the effort and time at times could be better spent.  But in the grand scheme this is a multi forums, multi social media, multi online chat service issue that's far wider than AA, but here alone he hasn't been forcefully removed so that's what drives it I believe.  Since he can't be removed, his lies can be with truths.  He seems to work off the old nazi propaganda minister concept of if you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth.  And all you can do with such types, keep peddling the real truth to fight it.

Also you broke his rule, you asked him why he won't code for SNES.  Run a search here or other sites (he goes by Inceptional) and you'll see the same he won't give a straight answer why he won't figure out how to code the SNES.  Yet he claims he can do more complex stuff and talks up a CV that can't be verified, so go figure.  If you ask him again or why it's something he chooses not to do, you'll likely end up on the ignore list for harassing him.

Look if you want to ignore most what I said I don't blame you, but the post above from TrekkiesUnite118 do a search on him, this forum, any post, and he has a mastery of coding and understanding the hardware I think better than anyone on this page or caught up in this web.  He will break it down in very easy to read terms, explain why his ideas don't work, barely work, partly work, or could actually work ok IF you did X Y Z.  This has happened repeatedly, kindly too.  That alone is a warning post of clear answers to your questions to Kirk there in the fairest nicest way possible.  Kirk just want someone else to do the work, not explain the work, just do it.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

To be clear my experience is more in Saturn development. For SNES I just understand enough of the basics like memory space and can read the documentation and listen to others. The real credit for really knowing the SNES hardware and breaking the demos down enough for me to then explain here should go to Kulor and turboxray.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 2

Fair enough, forgot about Kulor, but he just popped up finally recently largely I think out of annoyance given Kirk stole his demo reel of his upcoming game and refused to stop sharing it when ordered to.  He has a mastery clearly of doing stuff with the hardware, maybe someone who could have teased out some of Kirks concepts if he hadn't crapped that bed pretty hard.

3 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Yes.

But why not ask some of the SNES experts in here to see if they can explain/prove to you exactly how/why this specific concept and demonstration wouldn't work within the SNES' limitations for example:

And I'll leave this here for your own further reading too, as it also covers some aspects of the example above:

https://inceptionalnews.wordpress.com/2023/09/09/how-my-eye-melting-snes-mockup-could-be-done/

Let's see what they come up with to convince you it's impossible on SNES, that all my examples are impossible on SNES, and that I'm clearly duping everyone as part of some nefarious master plan to destroy the Internet or something. . . .

And, obviously, this one certainly works, since it's literally running on a SNES emulator:

But, again, let's see what the experts say to convince you I've pulled the wool over everyone's eyes, that I have no clue what I'm talking about, that everything I've shown is simply impossible on SNES, that everything in my CV is a fabrication, that I am obviously the Devil incarnate, and whatever else they claim. . . .

Well Kirk, considering , you said via PM, that you would no longer be engaging in this thread, due to the behaviour of the community here, but have returned mere days later.. 

You can hardly blame people for questioning your behaviour further. 

You could help your situation somewhat, regarding one of your concerns raised above. 

If you want to convince the community here your C. V,  is genuine, how about we start with the straightforward stuff. 

Could you please enlighten the community as to why you were not credited for your work on:

Donkey Kong Contry (GBC,)

And:

Banjo Kazooie: Gruntie's Revenge (GBA) 

Yet the rest of the team were 🤔

As it's been pointed out to you before, we've had others claiming they worked for RARE and claiming major roles on N64 GoldenEye, taking  credit for the work of  David Doak and others. 

So your not being singled out, your claims are simply flagging up a few concerns. 

Update. 

I just downloaded a Docsx reader, to open your resume.. 

So you were at RARE a year, state various games including the 2 above, OK, so what other titles? 

You created original artwork for use on the 2 titles, fine but was it actually used in 1 or both titles?? 

You proposed hardware software ideas for use for the GB Camera, but that again does not mean it was actually used.. 

This doesn't read well. 

You haven't actually told anyone if any of your work during your brief stint at RARE, was actually used. 

If it was not little wonder your not credited. 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

I can't believe the next sentence is coming from me starting as such but it here it is to see now.  In his defense, it's quite possible he just was left uncredited for his work on the games since he was there a year and skipped out before they were finished, or didn't meet the groups arbitrary guidelines at Rare to get credit inclusion.  I'm speaking on behalf of my personal experience with two years at Midway Home Entertainment throughout 2001 and 2002.  I got credited on a few titles in the area I was in (test lab, technical quality standards not just basic game testing) but also there I did work on some gameplay mechanics, co-leading teams, documentation, wrangling the cats between our side and third parties who worked our stuff.  When it came to stuff, I had internal not external credit for much of it, usually just listed as test or TSA for stuff.  They were part of the ea-wife scandal, if you remember that shit storm.  They abused us badly with blackmail and threats, we had to work 80+ hours weeks because if we had a lul in the project, you OFFERED(hah) to work on other games, or you employment may not be guaranteed after X project or if we had layoffs.  So I ended up working on stuff like PAL versions of Dr Muto, Gauntlet Legends both on Cube, other ports of NHL Hitz02 than I was credited for, dabbled a little with the Japanese GBC ver of R2R Boxing, and a GBC gauntlet that failed to launch.  NONE of this shows up in any credit screen or manual.

It's plausible, he just got fucked in that regard.  But, while I may not have stuff as I wasn't an artist who could smuggle out things, if he was, he should likely have some visual record of what he worked on if he made artist copies, which usually was allowed for a CV as it's vital for future work.  Let's see those games art he did that maybe didn't make it?  I'd believe him in that case.

I know he won't see this because of his block, but if someone who isn't on his shit list wants to quote me so he can see it, maybe he has it?

Kirk, you have spent well over a year talking about the possibilities of making new SNES game, an although Assembly is hard, you could have learned at least something in a year, of course you are not going to make advanced games using Mode 0 and 4 at first, but even then, don't you want to learn how to make anything for your favorite game system instead of just having to rely on others to do all the work for you? There are more than 10 hours of courses and tutorials on SNES Assembly and ROM Hacking just on Youtube.

Why be so obsessed about showing how the SNES can display more colors than the Mega Drive and the PC Engine too? Of course the Neo Geo isn't a fair comparison because it's an arcade board, but what about computers? A 1985 MSX with a 2+ upgrade from 1988 can display more than double the amount of colors on screen than the SNES, and I'm sure there are more examples out there.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I have no idea what this dude did that has everyone so up in arms, but can somebody just quickly explain one thing: is any of the stuff he's proposing possible?

Here's some back history:

He goes around attacking MD fans that cheer on new homebrew.. out of some jealousy fit. Or attack fans talking about top tier MD games in general (you'll see him in the YT comments, and twitter replies - tho on twitter he's quickly blocked by authors of posts). He goes after homedrew devs of other systems and tells them the SNES is better (Kanya style). He doesn't understand technical stuff and gets upset at people with plenty of experience dev'ing on the system or just experienced coding on multiple retro consoles.. because they won't "answer his questions with simple answers". He fails to grasp that not everything has a simple answer (because the motive for simple answers to technical questions are to put the SNES in a superior light to all other systems, and to challege fans of other systems). I've seen him have a melt down multiple times because he couldn't get his simple answers from the experts. As he gains more exposure, and alienates/pisses-off more people, it feeds into this delusion that it's a conspiracy to keep him and snes dev down. You'll often see him use his new phrase "authentic snes dev discussion" as a way to dismiss anyone he doesn't agree with. He's also made the claim that unless you code for the snes, you can't challenge him. Very convenient, when he's alienated all the experts and they don't want any discussion or anything to do with him. He'll move from platform to platform, because he doesn't like critics or anyone to correct him, and the end up not like him.. mocking him, etc. His latest strategy here, is to just put people on ignore (but proudly put them on a list in his sig for all to see). 

He has no coding experience, or technical experience, and self-confessed that he can't even do simple arithmetic to calculate how many tiles fit in vram, yet goes around parading as a SNES expert when it comes to graphic effects. He throws around things like HDMA (even tho he doesn't know what is really is), and high resolution mode (even though he fails to understand it applies to backgrounds only, not sprites), 2048 color mode (my favorite of his claims, but he 100% has no idea how it works and how it's not even a real 2048 color mode but just a fixed 3:3:2 RGB 256 color palette), how the snes has "128 sprites on screen" but complete fails to grasp the moving parts of that, that pretty much makes that number superficial, etc. He uses inaccurate mockups in gamemaker, with all sorts of mistakes, but parades them around like it's equivalent of the real deal (I'm all for mockups.. from people that KNOW what they are talking about. Not this guy). Some of the "mistakes" he makes are on purpose (24bit color images instead of 8bit palettized, or more colors than palettes allow), to make the snes look better than it is (he's been caught multiple times on this, even after being corrected/pointed out). Anyone that calls him out on this stuff, gets touted as a troll and they want to suppress the publics knowledge of "snes real abilities".. again, conspiratorial. He believes that while he lakes technical skill, his abilities to come up with creative technical graphic tricks far exceeds those that have been doing this on real consoles (with actual code). Yet he has no experience and is still just learning the snes technical capabilities (it's taken him two years, but has carried that attitude the whole time). Both the level of arrogance and ignorance of this guy is astounding.

On top of that, he attacks devs when they won't help him out, because he's alienated them (even threating suicide, and comparing himself to Near). He's personally gone after me and my YT channel.. when I was completely ignoring him and not engaging with him.. not provoking him. I've seen him go after (non snes) devs on twitter. His ultimate goal? Is to gain enough information on the SNES so he can fight/defeat MD fans. He's obsessed with this 16bit console war thing. Many of times he has taken things out of context that was explained to him, just to attack MD fans. He's also asked about technical specs, in relation to "how might it be better than the MD". In a previous melt down, he's admitted that is his goal - he wants to prove to all MD fans that the SNES is better in everyway, every spec, etc to the MD. If the MD has a better area/spec, he contorts his argument to dismiss it whatever advantages another system has. The guy is mentally unhealthy (he's blown up on people) and is completely obsessed. The list goes on and on.

He's gained quite the reputation over the past two years. So much so, people don't want him associated with their work or whatever because of the negativity of his actions and reputation he brings. They don't want or need it. He'll move from place to place (discord, forums, etc) because he eventually alienates and/or pisses off everyone or just outright banned (usually begging or pressuring people to implement his gamemaker mockups into real roms.. and then throws fits when no one will do it for him. He really doesn't like to be told to go learn to code for the SNES). He's tried to re-invent himself here (he doesn't beg snes devs to replicate his mock-ups on the real console), and now actually claiming he's a SNES dev and graphics expert, and just puts anyone on ignore that questions him (and makes a list for all to see. Check out his sig). The fantasy lives on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

*clap clap* That right there deserves an applause as it's nice, detailed, but point by point accurate and more than fair, right down to the arm chair psychiatric evaluation sadly.

Sorry if it doesn't jive with the few remaining hold outs thinking we're the nuts in the squirrels hoard but that really rounds it out as kindly as possible to anyones benefit.  If that could be stickied alone on this forum, or copy/pasted to any future threads as a warning, I think it would be surgeon general approved. :)

59 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I can't believe the next sentence is coming from me starting as such but it here it is to see now.  In his defense, it's quite possible he just was left uncredited for his work on the games since he was there a year and skipped out before they were finished, or didn't meet the groups arbitrary guidelines at Rare to get credit inclusion.  I'm speaking on behalf of my personal experience with two years at Midway Home Entertainment throughout 2001 and 2002.  I got credited on a few titles in the area I was in (test lab, technical quality standards not just basic game testing) but also there I did work on some gameplay mechanics, co-leading teams, documentation, wrangling the cats between our side and third parties who worked our stuff.  When it came to stuff, I had internal not external credit for much of it, usually just listed as test or TSA for stuff.  They were part of the ea-wife scandal, if you remember that shit storm.  They abused us badly with blackmail and threats, we had to work 80+ hours weeks because if we had a lul in the project, you OFFERED(hah) to work on other games, or you employment may not be guaranteed after X project or if we had layoffs.  So I ended up working on stuff like PAL versions of Dr Muto, Gauntlet Legends both on Cube, other ports of NHL Hitz02 than I was credited for, dabbled a little with the Japanese GBC ver of R2R Boxing, and a GBC gauntlet that failed to launch.  NONE of this shows up in any credit screen or manual.

It's plausible, he just got fucked in that regard.  But, while I may not have stuff as I wasn't an artist who could smuggle out things, if he was, he should likely have some visual record of what he worked on if he made artist copies, which usually was allowed for a CV as it's vital for future work.  Let's see those games art he did that maybe didn't make it?  I'd believe him in that case.

I know he won't see this because of his block, but if someone who isn't on his shit list wants to quote me so he can see it, maybe he has it?

He won't see my questions, unless he reads them without logging in, as he told me he had put me on ignore, but then he also stated he would no longer be posting in this thread, yet clearly could not stay away. 

The problem with industry folk turning up saying they worked on... (insert popular franchise title here) whilst working at (insert popular studio here).. 

Is simply because too many individuals at this point have over played roles, created stories just to impress in mainstream media interviews, knowing the vast majority out there take the claims at face value. 

Multiple people from the industry have shared horror stories from commercial game development, ranging from simply not being paid for work done, never mind bonuses, not being credited... to stories of literally being bullied to the absolute brink. 

The abuse of staff within the industry has been absolutely horrific. 

However... 

It would of saved an awful lot of suspicion, if Kirk had simply said something along the lines of him having created art that was sadly never used by the team, as levels were redesigned or dropped, features dropped. 

RARE have the status of being a Premier league development studio, it would be nice to know a little more about his actual role, what became of his work whilst there. 

What's on his resume, just comes across as a little too wanting. 

RARE have worked on multiple platforms over the years, including the Sega Mega Drive (Battletoads, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll), it strikes me as more than a little strange that an artist/animator, who's worked with such a studio, has such a schoolyard-esq manner, when discussing home brew development... 

Maybe that's in part due to my cynical nature... 

No you're right @Lostdragon it's not wanting, not cynical either, it's practical.  As you say my comment, I didn't overplay anything and just was flat about it, even listed things I wasn't credited on that do largely exist publicly that sold, and I left out stuff as such (I was on the approval team of votes to have Freaky Flyers move into development that did end up for sale as an example.)  The thing is, my resume is so detached from it I leave it there since I've stuck with jobs since I've had so long it's still down page relevant for practical things outside of gaming, largely the QA base and skills from it.  I don't over embellish, make up stuff, nor do I under sell it either.  That's his problem, nothing is quantified, not usable, it's words.  Had none of the lunacy occurred it would be a 50/50 toss up of grain of salt fantasy or reality, but by now the burden is huge.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I have no idea what this dude did that has everyone so up in arms, but can somebody just quickly explain one thing: is any of the stuff he's proposing possible?

Did the experts point out all the places where the latest platformer example with the giant chess pieces can't possibly work yet, and if so, what stuff did they point out that clearly makes the entire idea impossible?

This one, just for people who aren't following along:

Let me know and I'll address each and every one of those points for you and everyone else in here who cares this one time. Let's see how they stand up. . . .

After that, I won't do it a single other time for anyone in here on the public comments. I'd like to imagine most people will understand exactly why. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Confused 2

Congrats @Lostdragon, you've made the list!

image.thumb.png.f2c47b3f17a44862bebd9b17b972b980.png

3 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Did the experts point out where the latest platformer example with the giant chess pieces can't possibly work yet and paint me as some monster intentionally lying to everyone, and if so, what stuff did they point out that clearly makes the entire idea impossible?

It would help if you actually read what they have said. Shoving your head in the sand isn't doing you any favors.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Did the experts point out all the places where the latest platformer example with the giant chess pieces can't possibly work yet.

Yes. Your shadows are completely disregarding how the actual system works. The chess pieces themselves could be doable on their own, but I'd imagine they'd take up a few HDMA channels, as would the color gradient background color. Throw in that you need to use DMA for something as trival as getting the next frame of animation for all your sprites because you can't fit more than one frame at a time in VRAM due to your insistence on using an 8bpp layer, and I'm curious if you'd be running out of DMA/HDMA channels. Even if you're right on the limit and it's doable, is it really worth doing all that effort for something so pointless from a game standpoint? Why would you ever need to do this for a game? Why not switch to a 4bpp layer so you have more VRAM space and most likely letting you have a much nicer looking game?

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

Yes. Your shadows are completely disregarding how the actual system works.

What's wrong with the shadows?

7 hours ago, turboxray said:

He throws around things like HDMA (even tho he doesn't know what is really is), and high resolution mode (even though he fails to understand it applies to backgrounds only, not sprites), 2048 color mode (my favorite of his claims, but he 100% has no idea how it works and how it's not even a real 2048 color mode but just a fixed 3:3:2 RGB 256 color palette), how the snes has "128 sprites on screen" but complete fails to grasp the moving parts of that, that pretty much makes that number superficial, etc.

Well, where is he getting these ideas, then?  What makes him think that they will work?  

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Let me know and I'll address each and every one of those points for you and everyone else in here who cares this one time. Let's see how they stand up. . . .

If you're so interested in this, why don't you just unblock them and read what they said?

Apparently, you have said you can't do enough simple arithmetic to even count the tiles in VRAM, don't understand what things like HDMA actually are or how the graphics modes work in practice, and base your demos on specs that are theoretical.  Closest analogy I would know to make is writing a theoretical 2600 program that uses 128 bytes of RAM which, yes, technically the 2600 does have, but you won't be able to write any subroutines because the stack needs at least some of that RAM.  This would make it difficult to impossible to actually write a functional game.

WRT to that demo specifically, apparently your shadows aren't possible, and your 8bpp image only allows you to fit the current frame in VRAM, so you will need to use HDMA/DMA channels to load the next ones, and you will probably run out of you tried to do this.  Or not, but even if not, when would this ever be necessary for a game, and therefore what's point?

10 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

What's wrong with the shadows?

As I pointed out previously you can't have transparent sprites both behind and in front of non transparent sprites like that. You'd get weird clipping issues if you did that. A basic version of how transparency works on the SNES is everything you want to be transparent gets drawn to the subscreen, and everything you want to not be transparent gets drawn to the main screen. The subscreen is then blended with the main screen with one set of settings. Now you can play with sprite priorities to have say normal sprite rendered in front of the transparent sprites, but you can't have transparent sprites both in front of and behind the same normal sprite at the same time. All the transparent sprites would need to be on the same priority layer as far as I'm aware. turboxray did a pretty good job breaking this down in this very same thread over 2 months ago:

10 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Well, where is he getting these ideas, then?  What makes him think that they will work?  

He tries to follow actual SNES devs and tries to pay attention to what they say. But then he incorrectly assumes he can just use every single one of the things they mention all at once to solve any problem and it really doesn't work like that. There's trade offs and he completely ignores that concept. For example in this thread a while back he was trying to claim he could use windows to make a giant Goomba because he saw Kulor mention he used windows to make a vertical scrolling star field in his shmup demo. But he completely ignored the point where Kulor said doing horizontal scrolling with it would be almost impossible, you can't have more than 1 color on a single scan line, the effect didn't really work for somethign opaque, etc. So then he tried to use a game maker demo with this giant green horizontally scrolling, opaque Goomba in it to prove the SNES could do such a thing when in reality it wouldn't work at all.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

He won't see my questions, unless he reads them without logging in, as he told me he had put me on ignore, but then he also stated he would no longer be posting in this thread, yet clearly could not stay away. 

Not exactly correct, you can be logged in, sadly IGNORE does NOT work fully in that when the person posts it is hidden mostly however you are still made aware of the comment/post and you need only click a "SHOW ANYWAY" option to still see it whether or not you are logged in. Just clarifying. I know this because although rare, the odd time I've actually had to put someone on ignore I noticed this and by my own admission more often than not, just because I KOW they responded to a post I can never seem to help myself and choose to see it anyway since I also cannot resist seeing a train wreck or whatever other idiotic response they continue to post 🤣so much so not long ago I just went ahead and UNBLOCKED the few I had on ignore because there was really no point. 

I guess I just don't see how any of his theorycraft would be useful to anyone without the technical implementation, even if it did work which most of the time it won't. Like, how much CPU time is being used, how much RAM is this using up, HDMA channels used, coding tricks used, etc. The problem is that he's unable to answer these questions because he only has a top-level knowledge of the graphics hardware, but can't explain how it would interact with and impact the rest of the system. Even when his demos have things that are possible happening within them, nobody with even a cursory knowledge of the system's PPU hardware would be surprised. It's not THAT these things are possible, it's that how they're implemented would be the interesting or novel part and he can't engage at that level.

It's useless drivel at that point, and a lot of his ideas are so contrived that nobody in their right mind would ever implement them anyway. They're often impossible, nearly always impractical, and never backed up with any actual development or even game ideas. He could be banned and his posts deleted and we will have lost nothing of any actual value, as any actual technical knowledge has been shared by people on his ignore list like Trekkies and turboxray when they're correcting him. Instead of using any of that knowledge and trying to adapt anything, he interprets it as a personal attack and ignores them.

He's also an incredibly rude dickhead on top of it. Like, seriously, fuck this guy. Him getting deep-sixed would be addition by subtraction for the community.

• Like 5

I think it’s simple- Kirk is a fraud. He’s never done anything and has pushed a false narrative to hide the fact that he’s a complete jackass. He has demonstrated no talent in any field related to programming, and is incapable of working with others. That tells me he never worked in any corporate setting and it’s all a lie. Remember the dude who spent three years insulting jag programmers and then shit the bed? That’s Kirk.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 2

For those of us wondering why Kirk continues to post here despite being universally-disliked, and having muted nearly all of the subforum's regulars, I think I know the reason...

He just wants a blog, a place to where he gets to talk but doesn't have to read. However, blogs usually get minimal if any feedback. On his actual blog he gets what, 1 comment per month? Plus those show up months after the article was posted. Example, Modern SNES Games and Demos was written January 23rd, 2023. The first comment shows up on September 15th, 2023... 8 months later. Human being are far more motivated by immediate feedback, it's why hitting the jackpot in a slot machine makes you want to shove your winnings back into the machine ASAP, and why parenting techniques like "just wait until your father gets home!" are discouraged.

So that's why many of his threads consist of nothing but a link to his blog, his Twitter, or a YouTube video of his in the first post. He gets minimal feedback directly on those sites, so he finds an active forum to spam his links (and occasional posts) to. Then even if nobody replies (or does, but is ignored) he still gets the immediate feedback of watching the "views" counter going up.

• Like 6