IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

On 11/11/2023 at 11:06 PM, Kirk_Johnston said:

Is it 8K unique views?

For your sake, I really hope not.  I mean, if it was a super positive discussion and it painted you in a positive "wow, this guy really knows his stuff!" light, then a lot of views would probably be welcome for what you're trying to do.  But as it is -- I doubt you'd want 8k unique sets of eyes to see a thread that mostly paints you in a very negative light and includes experts who have actually created content for the system calling attention to how wrong you are. 

At least with a blog, you can delete any fact checking that you don't like and present whatever info you wanna present, whether wrong or not, and have it portray you in the way you're hoping.   

But it's definitely not happening here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A tech demo proving that the SNES can display [twice] as many sprites [at that Goomba size, per scanline and on-screen total] as a Sega Master System game

Kenseiden and Wonderboy regularly toss around as much and often more real sprites than that conept demo, all while running and an actual game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

I loved Wonder Boy on Master System as a kid. :)

That would be a cool game to take and "SNESify".

I mean, I think it could just about run as well on SNES, because both consoles have a 3.58 MHz CPU, and that's obviously how you determine that . . . but it can be visually jazzed up a little bit for sho.

And even if the SNES can't manage to add anything else, it will at least be able to show way more colours--like way more. :D

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I loved Wonder Boy on Master System as a kid. :)

That would be a cool game to take and "SNESify".

I mean, I think it could just about run as well on SNES, because both consoles have a 3.58 MHz CPU, and that's obviously how you determine that . . . but it can be visually jazzed up a little bit for sho.

And even if the SNES can't manage to add anything else, it will at least be able to show way more colours--like way more. :D

No need to SNESify it. We already got some gorgeous 16-bit Wonderboy games on the Genesis:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

No need to SNESify it. We already got some gorgeous 16-bit Wonderboy games on the Genesis:

I love those games, but I always found myself confused when trying to figure out what's what regarding Wonderboy, Monster World, and Adventure Island.

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Uh.. they did. It’s called “Super Adventure Island”. 

Or is this news to you? 🤔

He hasn't found a youtube video with that one in it yet.  We gotta be patient. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

How would any of this be considered homebrew? If it is, then my daughter’s drawings of her Roblox avatar are homebrew games also. Except her drawings follow the style of the game engine so actually make more sense.

So it's a page she draws on directly at her home.  All you need now is to brew some coffee ️ 

5 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I always found myself confused when trying to figure out what's what regarding Wonderboy, Monster World, and Adventure Island.

And yet it's so easy! Adventure Island is both the western version of Hudson's take on Wonder Boy and the PC Engine version of Wonder Boy in Dragon's Trap! 😉

• Like 1

Whenever this game pops up in a mention like this, especially when I see it as I'm falling asleep (like this), I leave my future self a reminder in Notepad to check it out. Problem is, the list of games I do this with is a couple dozen long at the moment so I never remember to follow through with Kenseiden.

Is this worth playing nowadays? Ninja gameplay never goes out of style and if I'd never seen the game before, 20 minutes deeper into these sleep meds kickin' in and I might mistake it for a 16-bit title (a compliment I see handed out far more often than I think is deserved, so I don't say that lightly).

But... I've got a vague feeling I once saw a review with some sort of deal-breaker flaw, might just been the era's usual "it's unclear where to go and there aren't enough unique tiles to form landmarks." But if that's the case, I'm not above leaning on a walkthrough.

11 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

But... I've got a vague feeling I once saw a review with some sort of deal-breaker flaw, might just been the era's usual "it's unclear where to go and there aren't enough unique tiles to form landmarks." But if that's the case, I'm not above leaning on a walkthrough.

I recently bought the cart for Master System but just played it for a while (a bit longer than usual, though, which is good sign). It's still very playable these days, which is not always the case for a lot of classics unfortunately, but indeed, after a while, as soon as you enter the house, I vaguely remember the level design becomes quite maze-like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

And yet it's so easy! Adventure Island is both the western version of Hudson's take on Wonder Boy and the PC Engine version of Wonder Boy in Dragon's Trap! 😉

I too was confused by all of this, until they released the Turbo Grafx 16 version of Hudson's take on Wonder Boy and the PC Engine version of Wonder Boy in Dragon's Trap! as Dragon's CurseThen, it all became clear...

Edited by Lost Monkey
Just a whim

11 hours ago, frankodragon said:

That and Monster World III are good reasons to own a Genesis.  

You know what someone should do, SNESify both the Master System and Genesis Wonder Boy games. Maybe do like a Wonder Boy All-Stars compilation. Totally not off the table. Lots of extra colours here, an additional background there, a bit of lovely multi-coloured semi-transparency in these spots, maybe some well-considered Mode 7 rotation and scaling added to some of the bosses for a bit of showy fun, etc. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

41 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

You know what someone should do, SNESify both the Master System and Genesis Wonder Boy games. Maybe do like a Wonder Boy All-Stars compilation. Totally not off the table. Lots of extra colours here, an additional background there, a bit of lovely multi-coloured semi-transparency in these spots, maybe some well-considered Mode 7 rotation and scaling added to some of the bosses for a bit of showy fun, etc. :)

Why would you need to do that when the game is fine how it is? How would mode 7 actually enhance or improve the game? Where would the additional background be necessary? Are you even sure the game as is could run without issues on SNES in areas like VRAM management considering its built around the Genesis hardware?

This is the problem with your ideas. You think about just throwing random features at games for console war purposes instead of actually thinking about things from a gameplay perspective. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lostdragon said:

Lock this thread as it's abundantly obvious your not here to engage in meaningful discussion with the community, forge a working partnership with anyone here, your just out to push people's buttons? 

Actually, one of his threads getting locked might get him to fuck off. You'd think with all the stories we've heard about SNESdev, he'd have been banned from there, right?

(the forum - not the Discord where he was banned for threatening suicide and comparing himself to Near because people suggested he learn to program the SNES...).

He wasn't banned! Those guys are the most patient people I've ever seen, it's unbelievable. After many months of bullshit, they simply placed some restrictions on his account... and we all know how well Kirk reacts when someone tells him what to do...

image.thumb.png.d23de7cb4b62fb219282240cafc029fb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just noticed, it appears both Wonder Boy on Master System and Monster World on Genesis run in 256x224 mode (or slightly less in Wonder Boy's case), so that would make porting all the visuals to SNES much easier right away. And the horizontal view could remain the same as the originals too, which is a great starting point for a port to SNES. Yeah, a couple of wee ports there with some visual tweaks could be very nice on the old SNES. :)

The PC Engine version of New Adventure Island also runs in 256x224 mode it seems, and that has some of the nicest sprite art imo, so a wee SNES port of that too would be an additional treat. Maybe add it into the SNES Wonder Boy All-Stars as a bonus game:

The developer did a nice job their using up a bunch of the sprites to create a second background layer. Very convincing if you don't know the secret behind the trick, and a great way to overcome the one background limit. I'd say this is actually the best looking version of the first game in the series imo, mostly because the pixel art and especially the sprites are lovely for the most part. I'd love to see a SNESified version of it.

I mean, totally off on a tangent from the main topic really, but still interesting to think about. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

1 hour ago, Biff Burgertime said:

After many months of bullshit, they simply placed some restrictions on his account... and we all know how well Kirk reacts when someone tells him what to do...

This just an observation based on empirical evidence and not an actual diagnosis but I think he might be allergic to healthy behavior. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

Whenever this game pops up in a mention like this, especially when I see it as I'm falling asleep (like this), I leave my future self a reminder in Notepad to check it out. Problem is, the list of games I do this with is a couple dozen long at the moment so I never remember to follow through with Kenseiden.

Is this worth playing nowadays? Ninja gameplay never goes out of style and if I'd never seen the game before, 20 minutes deeper into these sleep meds kickin' in and I might mistake it for a 16-bit title (a compliment I see handed out far more often than I think is deserved, so I don't say that lightly).

When you learn the game and know where to go, I think it’s one of the best games on the system.

The SMS doesn’t really have a lot of top-shelf action games, but this one gets pretty close to competing with the best the NES offered.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Biff Burgertime said:

Actually, one of his threads getting locked might get him to fuck off. You'd think with all the stories we've heard about SNESdev, he'd have been banned from there, right?

(the forum - not the Discord where he was banned for threatening suicide and comparing himself to Near because people suggested he learn to program the SNES...).

He wasn't banned! Those guys are the most patient people I've ever seen, it's unbelievable. After many months of bullshit, they simply placed some restrictions on his account... and we all know how well Kirk reacts when someone tells him what to do...

Yup, that's certified Kieren Hawken behavior. And comparing himself to Byuu/Near, one of the most if not the most prominent member in the SNES scene. And the cherry on top of the $#*& sandwich, threatening suicide because he was told to learn how to program for the SNES for everybody to see? That is truly disgusting behavior. I'm sorry but after learning about that comment, i have zero compassion for you Kirk. You're a faker and a fraud. Get wrecked 😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Just noticed, it appears both Wonder Boy on Master System and Monster World on Genesis run in 256x224 mode (or slightly less in Wonder Boy's case), so that would make porting all the visuals to SNES much easier right away. And the horizontal view could remain the same as the originals too, which is a great starting point for a port to SNES. Yeah, a couple of wee ports there with some visual tweaks could be very nice on the old SNES. :)

The PC Engine version of New Adventure Island also runs in 256x224 mode it seems, and that has some of the nicest sprite art imo, so a wee SNES port of that too would be an additional treat. Maybe add it into the SNES Wonder Boy All-Stars as a bonus game:

The developer did a nice job their using up a bunch of the sprites to create a second background layer. Very convincing if you don't know the secret behind the trick, and a great way to overcome the one background limit. I'd say this is actually the best looking version of the first game in the series imo, mostly because the pixel art and especially the sprites are lovely for the most part. I'd love to see a SNESified version of it.

I mean, totally off on a tangent from the main topic really, but still interesting to think about. :)

Maybe you should actually get something running on the SNES first before just casually adding a game to you non existent compilation. Maybe you should learn how the hardware works and how the original games work before promising the moon in new SNES features for your nonexistent homebrew port.

• Like 3