IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

1 hour ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

And I continue to be inspired by Kirk.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, but as context, it would be helpful to know your other sources of inspiration. Are you enthralled by the acting of Kevin Spacey? Are you in awe of the business skills of Bernie Madoff? Do the leadership qualities of Kim Il-Sung Sung encourage you to do wonderous things? 

Then it would make sense why Kirk Johnson is your shining star on the mode 0 sky. 

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Whatever floats your boat I guess, but as context, it would be helpful to know your other sources of inspiration. Are you enthralled by the acting of Kevin Spacey? Are you in awe of the business skills of Bernie Madoff? Do the leadership qualities of Kim Il-Sung Sung encourage you to do wonderous things? 

Then it would make sense why Kirk Johnson is your shining star on the mode 0 sky. 

It could be that it's a good value proposition. After all, to see the projection anywhere near the level that Kirk has been demonstrating for free, you'd normally have to pay extra for IMAX tickets.

3 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

Can Kirk be banned already? It's obvious he doesn't want to use this forum as a place for discussion. If he wants a safe space where he can dump all of his vids and block out any and all criticism he has his blog. He contributes nothing of value to this site outside of pages of migraine inducing nonsense.

And I continue to be utterly confused at why. Have you been hypnotized by his paint-by-numbers lion avatar?

I mean, it’s fairly obvious. If he doesn’t post here, he gets put back into the obliette without food rations.

6 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Whilst not exactly a ton of mainstream polygon 3D titles on the system, the likes of the following spring to mind... 

Blockout

Hard Drivin'
F-22 interceptor
LHX Attack Chopper
Abrams Battle Tank
F1 World Championship
ResQ (unreleased) 
Kawasaki Superbike Challenge/Kawasaki Superbikes
Red Zone
Star Cruiser 
Lawnmower Man
Corporation
F-117 Nightstorm 
Another World 
Steel Talons 
F-15 Strike 
Race Drivin'

Oh I'm aware of those. A lot of them just didn't seem to take off in notoriety the same way that say Virtua Racing, Star Fox, etc. did. As a result there have been some SNES fans over the years making silly claims like that "the Genesis could never run Star Fox as even the more powerful SNES needed an expansion chip to do it!". So when they see that demo running some of them like Kirk get rather upset.

6 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

I have one, if you want me to test anything.

You can't run game maker on your SNES sadly.

5 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

And I continue to be inspired by Kirk.

4 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

You are allowed to ask me why.

Have you been seduced by mine?

Are you aware of how much cringe is in these kind of posts from you? You come off as someone desperately trying to troll others but failing so hard at it that you just come off as a massive tool.

3 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Nah.  His question was about Kirk's avatar.

He technically asked you both. Which I think it's a good question. You're defending someone that's actively done more harm and damage to the SNES homebrew community by making fraudulent demos and picking fights and creating bad blood with other homebrew communities. It's like one of those people who gets caught up in a pyramid scheme and instead of owning up to it just continues to double down on defending it.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2023 at 4:17 AM, Kirk_Johnston said:

Well, let's see it again with this specific latest version of the platformer example for the benefit of this new guy:

And, certainly, let's see an explanation for how my example running on a SNES emulator is all just an illusion. . . .

A tech demo proving that the SNES can display as many sprites as a Sega Master System game and draw 2600 style horizontal line based silhouette shapes at the same time?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wayler said:

Are you enthralled by the acting of Kevin Spacey?

No.

Are you in awe of the business skills of Bernie Madoff?

No.

Do the leadership qualities of Kim Il-Sung Sung encourage you to do wonderous things?

No.

Edited by jeffythedragonslayer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

A tech demo proving that the SNES can display [twice] as many sprites [at that Goomba size, per scanline and on-screen total] as a Sega Master System game and draw [two huge] 2600 style horizontal line based silhouette shapes at the same time [as a gorgeous high-colour 8bpp main background image during full gameplay, another full foreground layer, and with all the sprites and foreground blocks also casting shadows, if that's how one chooses to use the various features and capabilities of the SNES]?

Yes, you've got it. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Man, just imagine, if some of you guys spent as much time and energy as you do trolling my threads and actually put that into making something for SNES yourselves, even just posting some more interesting SNES topics in here if literally nothing else, how much you could achieve ...

I have zero desire to create anything for the SNES, or any other platform for that matter. I have other creative hobbies and interests.

I am of the mind that the SNES in particular has an amazing library and doesn't *need* anything new. I'm all for homebrew, tinkering and I'm sure *some* boundaries can potentially still be pushed (like what I am seeing with Kulor's STG), but nothing of the sort is ever going to come from you.

18 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Much like you keep suggesting I should go actually program something for SNES directly myself, I think you could do something a lot more worthy with your precious time than make me the centre of your universe for however many hours per day.

:)

Your idiocy makes for wonderful entertainment in the worst way possible.

post-24675-0-95524400-1442331696_thumb.jpg  

3 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

A tech demo proving that the SNES can display as many sprites as a Sega Master System game and draw 2600 style horizontal line based silhouette shapes at the same time?

13 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Yes, you've got it. :)

I don't think that was a compliment, dingbat.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Now, here's a question: Using those window/shape masks and the backdrop colour to add some horizontal lines and shading in places, what faux additional background layers and/or objects can you think of that could be added to SNES games this way?

I have a nice example to get us started: A simple cream Taj Mahal type building with a golden top dome part using one of the window/shape masks and a bit of HDMA to change the colours, and another separate similarly-themed building using the other window/shape mask. And put them in the background of some Arabian-themed game like Aladdin or whatever, with a more detailed real foreground layer scrolling at a faster speed so the faux buildings in the background look like they are in the distance, which is why they lack full details. This could effectively give you four overlapping parallax layers in Mode 1 or even five overlapping parallax layers in Mode 0 for example. Plus basically one more in a kinda rough way if you scroll those faux buildings at different speeds and/or even cut them out of different real layers and possibly mask the sprites depending on which one the sprites move into to make it look like the two faux buildings are actually at different distances from each other into the screen, one building further back in the scene and other near or at the front of the scene.

OK, now your turn. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

27 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

A tech demo proving that the SNES can display [twice] as many sprites [at that Goomba size, per scanline and on-screen total] as a Sega Master System game

But you don't have twice as many sprites. You have less total on screen than the max the Master System can do at at most maybe 2-4 more per scanline. Plus this isn't really on an actual SNES.

draw [two huge] 2600 style horizontal line based silhouette shapes at the same time

Which we still don't know how well the rest of the system will keep up with that. You're using almost all your HDMA channels to pull that off and they're pretty complicated shapes scrolling horizontally. Maybe if you actually made this on an actual SNES we could better gauge the actual performance.

[as a gorgeous high-colour 8bpp main background image during full gameplay

You mean the background that's eating up almost all of your VRAM and still isn't reserving enough color for your sprites and 2bpp layer? The layer that because of how you're describing doing it wouldn't be able to scroll smoothly?

another full foreground layer

You mean the foreground layer that also wouldn't be able to scroll because the tilemaps wouldn't fit in VRAM?

with all the sprites and foreground blocks also casting shadows, if that's how one chooses to use the various features and capabilities of the SNES]?

You mean the shadows that overlap in ways that wouldn't actually be possible on a real SNES?

• Like 3

OK, here's another one for you guys that actually uses only a single window/shape mask: Two giant grey stone heads that looks like they are floating in front of everything in the scene--let's say it's some Greek themed title or similar--that slowly move together as if they are about to kiss, but, just as they're about to touch lips, they pause and the inner shape forms into a golden chalice by changing what's inside and outside the mask and using HDMA to change the backdrop colour, and then the chalice scales down into the scene and onto the rock ledge, which the hero then goes over to and picks up as a new magical item in his inventory, the chalice of the Gods, where one drink grants the hero invulnerability for a short time or whatever:

VaseHeads.png.23b6a97d1a41a9a4e62f69915c8fc41d.png

VaseHeads2.png.096033985d7106bac580f45a8016c089.png

I decided to create a quick image of this one to help the visualisation. You get the idea.

I bet you guys have some cool ideas there too. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

19 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Now, here's a question: Using those window/shape masks and the backdrop colour to add some horizontal lines and shading in places, what faux additional background layers and/or objects can you think of that could be added to SNES games this way?

I have a nice example to get us started: A simple cream Taj Mahal type building with a golden top dome part using one of the window/shape masks and another separate similarly-themed building using the other, and put them in the background of some Arabian-themed game like Aladdin or whatever, with a more detailed foreground layer in front scrolling at a faster speed so the faux buildings in the background look like they are in the distance, which is why they lack full details. This could effectively give you four overlapping parallax layers in Mode 1 or even five overlapping parallax layers in Mode 0 for example. Plus basically one more if you scroll those faux buildings at different speeds to make it look like they too are actually at different distances from each other into the screen.

OK, now your turn. :)

Is this an imagination game now?

It seems like in the whole internet there are less than 10 people that take your mockups seriously based on the reactions on Twitter and SnesDev, even fewer that are actually programmers. I think that if someone wants to get into making a SNES game they would to know how to do it rather than what they could do.

But now, why don't you get into contact with the people that made the only demo running on real hardware and provide them with more art and levels so they can code the rest and make a playable game? Finish something at least before wanting to make more stuff.

The fact you don't own a SNES is also weird, games like Xeno Crisis aren't coming out digitally, so how are you going to play it? Do you actually play these games or do you just see videos of it and think about how impressive the effects are?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

OK, here's another one for you guys that actually uses only a single window/shape mask: Two giant grey stone heads that looks like they are floating in front of everything in the scene--let's say it's some Greek themed title or similar--that slowly move together as if they are about to kiss, but, just as they're about to touch lips, they pause and the inner shape forms into a golden chalice by changing what's inside and outside the mask and using HDMA to change the backdrop colour, and then the chalice scales down into the scene and onto the rock ledge, which the hero then goes over to and picks up as a new magical item in his inventory, the chalice of the Gods, where one drink grants the hero invulnerability for a short time or whatever:

VaseHeads.png.23b6a97d1a41a9a4e62f69915c8fc41d.png

VaseHeads2.png.096033985d7106bac580f45a8016c089.png

I decided to create a quick image of this one to help the visualisation. You get the idea.

I bet you guys have some cool ideas there too. :)

So now we're just photoshopping stuff over existing SNES games and claiming it's doable?

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 3

I always knew you could create some pretty cool shapes with the windows/masks, but it was this Jordan one I posted somewhere else that I think sealed the deal:

I love it when I discover something like this during a random YouTube crawl and realise these SNES features really can be used in some very cool ways in the right hands. :)

Now, if only I could randomly stumble on some genuine use of the 8bpp background layer during gameplay in some obscure game most people didn't really pay much attention to.

I mean, this is kinda cool for what it is [and has a wee bit of scrolling too], but it's not quite enough yet imo: 

The SNES can do more! :D

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

9 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I always knew you could create some pretty cool shapes with the windows/masks, but it was this Jordan one I posted somewhere else that I think sealed the deal:

I love it when I discover something like this during a random YouTube crawl and realise these SNES features really can be used in some very cool ways in the right hands. :)

This isn't anything special. A bunch of games on the system do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Austin said:

This isn't anything special. A bunch of games on the system do that.

I used it like a Warner Bros. cartoon effect in one of my SNES games.  Real-time circle calculation with a center to X/Y screen coordinate destination, whilst shrinking the radius.  I cheated for speed and calculated only a quarter circle, then mirrored the offsets for the rest.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

If he wants a safe space where he can dump all of his vids and block out any and all criticism he has his blog. He contributes nothing of value to this site outside of pages of migraine inducing nonsense.

And I continue to be utterly confused at why. Have you been hypnotized by his paint-by-numbers lion avatar?

That or he could make his own closed club on AA instead.  

image.thumb.png.cadfc5a7af1db75643cecb5e8895a2e8.png