IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

It’s hard keeping track of who is NTSC and PAL. Yes I knew Retron 77 plays PAL but never purchased any with that console. I’ve always just stuck to NTSC. Until now should be arriving today. Hopefully your game works! I took a chance because the PAL version cost less and I never owned the NTSC version.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

It’s hard keeping track of who is NTSC and PAL. Yes I knew Retron 77 plays PAL but never purchased any with that console. I’ve always just stuck to NTSC. Until now should be arriving today. Hopefully your game works! I took a chance because the PAL version cost less and I never owned the NTSC version.

I live in a PAL region but try to buy NTSC carts when possible* as they are almost always superior, sometimes by a huge margin. I like to load the PAL and NTSC ROM of a game in Stella on my laptop to check them out. I hope your new game has a good PAL version.

*I started out buying PAL as it was cheaper, but have gone on to replace many of my PAL carts. I say replace but I don't actually get rid of the PAL version. I have a PAL drawer and an NTSC drawer in my TV room.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I live in a PAL region but try to buy NTSC carts when possible* as they are almost always superior, sometimes by a huge margin. I like to load the PAL and NTSC ROM of a game in Stella on my laptop to check them out. I hope your new game has a good PAL version.

*I started out buying PAL as it was cheaper, but have gone on to replace many of my PAL carts. I say replace but I don't actually get rid of the PAL version. I have a PAL drawer and an NTSC drawer in my TV room.

Yes, from reading your posts I noticed you mentioned getting NTSC version. I don’t plan a buying to many PAL versions but I couldn’t pass this one up. I was trying to follow yours and others information on how NTSC and PAL differs on the 2600+. Good idea about replacing but not getting rid of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Hopefully your game works! I took a chance because the PAL version cost less and I never owned the NTSC version.

I hope so too.  The game was only in PAL.  I don't think there was an NTSC version of it.  I could be wrong though.  But at least the price was decent. 

• Like 1

After I stopped buying classic carts it seems I fell off the wagon and ordered a shed load more. It's an addiction I tell you.

I will share some as they arrive, all but one are NTSC, I think the PAL game is PAL only and it's a game that I only just discovered...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

After I stopped buying classic carts it seems I fell off the wagon and ordered a shed load more. It's an addiction I tell you.

I will share some as they arrive, all but one are NTSC, I think the PAL game is PAL only and it's a game that I only just discovered...

Whenever I would go to my local game store I always checked the 2600 section. But I would only buy on occasion if it was something different. But I noticed I’m buying more for the 2600 since I have the Atari 2600+. I’m amazed after all these years I still can find a game, either I didn’t own or didn’t play much back in the day. But for some reason I’m having a better look at many of these games now. Also due to these forums you learn things about games you weren’t aware of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My PAL CIB Still sealed has arrived! The reason I purchased the PAL version is that the NTSC versions were $49.00 and up for CIB.

Some were sealed, some said new but they were opened and not as good condition the boxes had damage. So I went with the PAL for $25.00. 

I figure if the colors are off it doesn’t matter. So what if my character has a different color shirt, skateboard or hair! It was the 80’s. Lol!

IMG_0312.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

My PAL CIB Still sealed has arrived! The reason I purchased the PAL version is that the NTSC versions were $49.00 and up for CIB.

Some were sealed, some said new but they were opened and not as good condition the boxes had damage. So I went with the PAL for $25.00. 

I figure if the colors are off it doesn’t matter. So what if my character has a different color shirt, skateboard or hair! It was the 80’s. Lol!

IMG_0312.jpeg

This game looks great!* Let us know how you get on with it.

Really nice to have a boxed copy.

*I should know what this game is like, I own PAL and NTSC copies of it... but it's in the backlog. Juts loose carts.

From Stella

NTSC

SBNTSC.thumb.png.7089f9e5f606f5ddec27088b3b60bee2.png

PAL

SBPAL.thumb.png.83bb7df3ea3fc12f0b12f8b000d39341.png

The colours look OK.

The game screen is squashed, so perhaps you can hit zoom on your TV (If the top of the screen doesn't go off the top of the TV picture).

The music played slower, they haven't upped the speed on the PAL version. I didn't play enough to check if they upped the speed of the gameplay, I assume not, but I could be wrong. Either way it didn't feel sluggush for the ten seconds I played. If the game is tricky it may not matter if it is slower, some games it doesn't, some it really does.

This does look like a fun game!

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So this is funny I feel it’s a tad slower but I can control my character better. I could be wrong on the speed but it’s not enough to make any difference to me. I haven’t played enough to be sure. But I like it!

Good idea with tv zoom!

With the Atari 2600+ the sky is the limit!

The game looks and plays great on the Atari 2600+ for a PAL version!

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

The game screen is squashed, so perhaps you can hit zoom on your TV (If the top of the screen doesn't go off the top of the TV picture).

I hadn’t noticed the screen looked squashed until after your post. It’s hardly noticeable when I’m playing. It’s really only noticeable when you compare side by side. I never knew PAL screens were slightly smaller until you mentioned it. In any case this game plays and looks great on Atari 2600+. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I hadn’t noticed the screen looked squashed until after your post. It’s hardly noticeable when I’m playing. It’s really only noticeable when you compare side by side. I never knew PAL screens were slightly smaller until you mentioned it. In any case this game plays and looks great on Atari 2600+. 

Well PAL has more lines, so you would think that it would fill more of the screen if anything right? Nope, lazy conversions from NTSC versions meant borders top and bottom and a squashed screen in between. It didn't/doesn't have to be this way, there are some PAL versions with the same size or even slightly larger screens. Proper scaling, wisely chosen colours, speed adjusted, PAL is fine. Check out Air Sea Battle for a good example, there are others too.

I have become a super nerd on this subject as I think it bothers me more than most. TV Zoom is a friend of mine, sadly you can't fix dodgy colours or slow game speed... I'd say always check the ROM on Stella to see if the PAL version is accepable to you.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

So this is funny I feel it’s a tad slower but I can control my character better. I could be wrong on the speed but it’s not enough to make any difference to me. I haven’t played enough to be sure. But I like it!

Good idea with tv zoom!

With the Atari 2600+ the sky is the limit!

The game looks and plays great on the Atari 2600+ for a PAL version!

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

Kind of like the Atari version of Skate or Die or 720 degrees in the arcades 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

They're different. Skate or Die is an NES game (I guess originally C64) that was trying to capitalize on the arcade games popularity. It's got the catch phrase from 720 degrees but it's totally different otherwise. 

Would love to see a re-imagined version of this type of game for 2600+/7800 tho 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_0312.jpeg

Rip that seal off bro! If you haven't already. 💪🏻😂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Rip that seal off bro! If you haven't already. 💪🏻😂

I DID! For a spilt second I thought…. Nah I’m ripping this right off! Hee hee!

It’s a really cool game too! They were meant to be played right?

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

I got my PAL game today.  It doesn't work on the 2600+  I tried inserting the cart and it will not go into the cart slot at all.  I thought it would work.  What's weird is, I put the cart in my 7800 and it had no issue.  The game actually works on my 7800.  I didn't know PAL games ran on an NTSC 7800.

I'm glad the game works.  The only other cart I own that doesn't fit in the cart slot of the 2600+ is that multi-cart I got with 4 games on it.  I must play that on my 7800.  Later on I'll post a photo of the PAL game & manual. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I DID! For a spilt second I thought…. Nah I’m ripping this right off! Hee hee!

It’s a really cool game too! They were meant to be played right?

Absolutely. When I bought a sealed 7800 Ms Pac-man, no way was it staying in the box.

Games are meant to be played and enjoyed. You can collect and keep them complete and in good condition, but for me there's no sense in keeping them sealed.

The exceptions would be if you already owned a copy that you could play or if the game is crazy expensive that it's basically your retirement fund. 🤣

My Ms Pac-Man was sadly not that coveted by collectors. 

• Like 3

Just now, Intellivision Master said:

I got my PAL game today.  It doesn't work on the 2600+  I tried inserting the cart and it will not go into the cart slot at all.  I thought it would work.  What's weird is, I put the cart in my 7800 and it had no issue.  The game actually works on my 7800.  I didn't know PAL games ran on an NTSC 7800.

I'm glad the game works.  The only other cart I own that doesn't fit in the cart slot of the 2600+ is that multi-cart I got with 4 games on it.  I must play that on my 7800.  Later on I'll post a photo of the PAL game & manual. 

I had trouble with some carts, they were even tricky in the old console too. Telegames carts and those black label German ones, they have very wide plastic prongs. I actually ended up snapping one off and this allowed me to insert them.

I wouldn't usually recommend using any carts with a prong missing on the 2600 Plus as you could seat it incorrectly, but Telegames and those black label (like Phantom Tank) ones were fine after I did.

***To all readers, your mileage may vary, I am not suggesting that anyone else do this.***

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

I wouldn't usually recommend using any carts with a prong missing on the 2600 Plus as you could seat it incorrectly, but Telegames and those black label (like Phantom Tank) ones were fine after I did.

I have one cart with a missing prong.  It's Midnight Magic.  But the game plays fine on the 2600+.  It didn't seem to have any problem with being seated a certain way.  I'd have to try using the cart again to make sure though. 

• Like 2