IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Ok, onto my CIB game, yes I ordered another game...

This game may feature in my RTFM games topic too as I have tried the ROM previously and just felt infuriated with it. Hoping the included manual may shed some light and the game will reveal itself as good. 

The game is Golf. I wasn't after a CIB copy but as it was super cheap, £6.49, it was too good to miss.

The caveat? Well, my copy features a hole, no not a hole in one, a hole in two!

There's a hole in the front of the box, OK 🤷🏻. Sadly what I didn't realise is that it goes through to the manual too. 🤦🏻 Luckily I don't think much information is missing. So it's complete, but not quite complete. 

🤷🏻🤣

I'm going to try this game out shortly, let's see if it's any good. 

IMG_20240501_194708.jpg

IMG_20240501_143548.jpg

IMG_20240501_143617.jpg

I was inspired by this post to try this game for the first time.  I like it! 

The ball control scheme is... "odd".  Basically, the direction you swing the club depends on where you position your body relative to the ball.  You stand in one of four "quadrants" to determine which way the club swings: either on the upper-left of the ball, the upper-right, lower-left, or lower-right (technically you can be even with the ball dead-center between two of those quadrants). 

If you want to confirm which way you're swinging the club, step away from the ball and take a practice swing.  You'll see which way the club swings and you can adjust which quadrant you're standing in, if it's not right.  Press and hold the fire button to determine strength of swing.  The longer you hold, the stronger the swing.  It took me a few tries, but I was able to par the first hole (Par 3) with two shots to get onto the green and then sinking the putt.  

I look forward to playing it again a little later!

Edited by TampaBay
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

I was inspired by this post to try this game for the first time.  I like it! 

The ball control scheme is... "odd".  Basically, the direction you swing the club depends on where you position your body relative to the ball.  You stand in one of four "quadrants" to determine which way the club swings: either on the upper-left of the ball, the upper-right, lower-left, or lower-right (technically you can be even with the ball dead-center between two of those quadrants). 

If you want to confirm which way you're swinging the club, step away from the ball and take a practice swing.  You'll see which way the club swings and you can adjust which quadrant you're standing in, if it's not right.  Press and hold the fire button to determine strength of swing.  The longer you hold, the stronger the swing.  It took me a few tries, but I was able to par the first hole (Par 3) with two shots to get onto the green and then sinking the putt.  

I look forward to playing it again a little later!

This is 100% an RTFM Game. 🤟🏻

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

This is 100% an RTFM Game. 🤟🏻

Ha, yeah just for fun I tried to play without reading the manual. 

I just stood there repeatedly hitting the ball the wrong way directly into a "wall".  I could not figure out how to hit it toward the green.  Thankfully the manual explained!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

...and even the manual required a double-take!  😀 😀

Screenshot2024-05-01164431.png.4ec1475be2073566aea3a3b97e40a47e.png

Yeah its probably up there with the most unintuitive games I've ever played, but refer to the manual as you play and it's fun.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah its probably up there with the most unintuitive games I've ever played, but refer to the manual as you play and it's fun.

Agreed.  I just played a couple of more holes and I'm enjoying it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

I just played a couple of rounds and got a best of 39, which is 3 over par.

Impressive, this game will take a long time to master. Which holes were the trickiest for you?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Impressive, this game will take a long time to master. Which holes were the trickiest for you?

The ones with trees on them. I bounced a couple off a tree on a par4 hole and hit one "out of bounds" trying to get around a tree on another.

• Like 1

I really like Golf for the 2600.  Very mellow and relaxing.  The only issue I have is that I've played it so many times, the game has become too easy and repetitive.

• Like 1

Just now, LS650 said:

I really like Golf for the 2600.  Very mellow and relaxing.  The only issue I have is that I've played it so many times, the game has become too easy and repetitive.

Ah really, more holes required!

What is your best score for a round then?

1 hour ago, SparkleFork said:

Our local library had a small collection of carts you could borrow back in the day and Golf got taken out a few times. Picked up a copy quite soon after I got a 2600+.

That's cool, wouldn't it be good if they still had them? These things are 40-50 years old and of history interest, they should be preserved and enjoyed. 

Have your skills improved with age?

11 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

That's cool, wouldn't it be good if they still had them? These things are 40-50 years old and of history interest, they should be preserved and enjoyed. 

Have your skills improved with age?

Historical interest. Thanks autocorrect. 🤣

I wonder what happened to the carts, sold off for peanuts I guess.

I also wonder if stores similar to Blockbuster* (were there similar stores that early?) ever rented out 2600 carts? If so, how much for? 

*I know Blockbuster was mid 80s.

It was so magical walking round my local video store with my Dad, a great time, but I don't remember any game rentals until much later. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I also wonder if stores similar to Blockbuster* (were there similar stores that early?) ever rented out 2600 carts? If so, how much for? 

It was so magical walking round my local video store with my Dad, a great time, but I don't remember any game rentals until much later. 

I'm not sure about the Mom & Pop shops, but it looks like Blockbuster started game rentals in the late 80s with the NES.  Interestingly it led to this legal battle with Nintendo who claimed the renting of video games was eating into their sales profits.  The story with its twists and turns is fascinating.  They went from legal rivals to Nintendo releasing "Blockbuster Exclusive" versions of their games!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_of_America,_Inc._v._Blockbuster_Entertainment_Corp.

Edited by TampaBay
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

When it first released the 2600 was roughly twice the price of a PS5, so not many people could afford them. I can’t remember anyone renting machines/games - heck video rental didn’t become a thing until the mid-80s; the main selling point of video recorders was taping shows for later viewing. What I do remember is shops having displays where you could play the games - almost like a free arcade. Even my mom’s favourite record shop had a setup. I would expect there were let-to-buy places selling Ataris though.

My best friend had a NES and yeah those you could rent, but by 1985 Atari’s star had faded and I don't remember those (or even SMS games) being available for rental…

Edited by Sean_1970

18 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

What I do remember is shops having displays where you could play the games - almost like a free arcade.

Like the little kiosks that we have seen in more modern times in game stores then.

Do you remember which titles they were showcasing?

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Like the little kiosks that we have seen in more modern times in game stores then.

Do you remember which titles they were showcasing?

Nothing that formal: there was a separate nook away from the LPs with a glass display case that had pre-recorded videos - Star Wars jumps to mind (US$100 😳). They would have it setup on the counter. It wasn’t always switched on and given I was a kid with no money the staff weren’t always receptive to doing so just because I was bored waiting for mom to browse LPs 😂. This would have been 1980 I think? I want to say Superman, but I really can’t remember.

There was a shop I remember that seemed dedicated to selling VCS that had a series of tables with a load of setups and carts from Atari and Activision. Was probably 1980 as my neighbourhood arcade had opened. Now this was a treat because it was like a free arcade and loads of kids went in there, but I think it was a fair bus ride from my house as I don’t remember going more than once or twice. I can remember playing Fishing Derby and Adventure and Maze Craze, but I imagine there were others. Truly a golden age 😁

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I liked Blockbuster.  I miss them.  There was also a Hollywood Video that I went to as well.  It was fun being able to rent VHS and DVD's.  And videogames too. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I really like the look of these. Are they expensive?

49.00 that’s why I didn’t. If I bought one of each I might as well just buy another Atari 2600+ instead! They are nice though! It’s not like you see these everywhere so I guess like collecting homebrew its worth it. In fact now thinking about they would be perfect for loose homebrew carts that don’t come with a box!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1