IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

I've played a lot of Centipede, Millipede, and Yars' Revenge!
And precisely on that note, I've never experienced as much hand pain during long sessions of those games as I have with the CX40+.
If I switch back to my original CX40 (upgraded with a BE Gold PCB) or my Cirka brand CX40 replica, I don't experience as much pain.
I feel like it's due to the lack of tactile feedback on the CX40+.
Not having tactile or auditory feedback makes me exert more force than necessary.
Or maybe I've just gotten older 😅
I can't remember if back in the day the original 'brand new' CX40s had zero tactile feedback like the CX40+...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Electric-Dreams said:

And precisely on that note, I've never experienced as much hand pain during long sessions of those games as I have with the CX40+.
If I switch back to my original CX40 (upgraded with a BE Gold PCB) or my Cirka brand CX40 replica, I don't experience as much pain.
Not having tactile or auditory feedback makes me exert more force than necessary.
I can't remember if back in the day the original 'brand new' CX40s had zero tactile feedback like the CX40+...

It could be due to the CX40+ joystick being stiff.  It makes you have to use more force to move it around. Therefore, it might be causing the pain.  Unlike the Hyperkin Trooper which to me is much better.  It has more movement for the joystick.  I use that over the CX40+.  Also, the Trooper doesn't dig into your palms.

Edited by Intellivision Master

I really like the CX-40+ stick.  Yeah, it's stiff but it also has a short throw and a good sensitivity. 

I have a Trooper and find that's better for "open movement" games like Missile Command, whereas the CX-40+ is better for Pacman-type maze games.

It's a matter of using the right tool for the right job!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Electric-Dreams said:

I had a NOS CX40 some years back that was made in the late '80s Atari Corp. period (as a lot of the available old stock was), and that one was very stiff with no tactile feedback. The CX40+ reminds me a lot of that, but at least it's responsive. But like you, I feel like I'm fighting with it a little bit when I use it. Then again, I have a light touch; it may be better for players with a more heavy-handed play style. I was somewhat disappointed with that aspect of the CX40+. It definitely looks and feels the part, but the actual play of it (there is none) and no feedback of any kind make it kind of a chore to use. I'll still use it on my 2600+ in the hope that maybe it will at least break in a little bit, and at least it works (I have to add that the fire button is very nice!), but I would recommend the original CX40.

The earlier orange-ringed CX40s from the pre-Vader Warner years may have been better brand new, but someone else would have to speak to that (I never had any of those NOS...just my trusty well-used/upgraded ones!).

I like the CX40+ a lot. It’s very responsive without a lot of force required. Using it on a table saves me the pain of the base cutting into my palm after awhile playing action games - problem I remember with the CX40, which was why I got a Wico Boss back then.

5 hours ago, Electric-Dreams said:

Yes, I have experienced some pain with the 2600+'s joystick. Particularly with maze style games. My original atari CX40's are less painful. lol . The more you use it the less painful it gets. Try using the 2600+'s joystick with pacman! 😭 🤣

Picked up Pitfall yesterday and I’ve been playing it quite a bit today. I never got close to completing it as a kid as I didn’t realise quite how many screens there was and the fact the underground tunnels fast travel several screens. Online maps and you tube is going to help me this time 😂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ampersound said:

Picked up Pitfall yesterday and I’ve been playing it quite a bit today. I never got close to completing it as a kid as I didn’t realise quite how many screens there was and the fact the underground tunnels fast travel several screens. Online maps and you tube is going to help me this time 😂

Go right. It's the hardest way through! 💪

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I've been enjoying playing this today. Ok so it isn't as polished as the C64 version, considering the limitations of the 2600 a great version in my opinion. 👍

DSC_0007.JPG

I had the Apple II version as a kid and loved it back then. 

The 2600 port isn’t too bad all things considered. 

• Like 1

Since Time Pilot works on the experimental load, I played it tonight🤙

If you turn up the volume, you'll notice I pulled the trigger in time but still run a Kamikaze Attack😉

For the 2600 hardware it is a great port😊

On my 3rd run I made it to 2001 but sucked to shoot down the alien ships...

The best home version ever made is Vector Pilot for Vectrex🕹

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

If you turn up the volume, you'll notice I pulled the trigger in time but still run a Kamikaze Attack😉

I would buy a Vectrex and start collecting if they weren't so freekn expensive! 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Vector Pilot is simply amazing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I would buy a Vectrex and start collecting if they weren't so freekn expensive! 😂

For many years, it was the holy grail of consoles for me. I love this console. Nothing else like it and the homebrew scene has produced many great games. 

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

For many years, it was the holy grail of consoles for me. I love this console. Nothing else like it and the homebrew scene has produced many great games. 

IMG_0458.jpeg

Glad I got one maybe 15 years ago for 70€🙄

Pretty cool joysticks you have😊

I love Verzerk with Atarivox🤙

Off topic - end!

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

A beautiful thing. I wanted one as a child, too expensive thou.

• Like 1