IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

9 hours ago, shane857 said:

Weltraum tunnel/Space tunnel. Think it was released as cosmic corridor in the US? 🤔

Quite a simple shooter, yet really playable. 👍

DSC_0007.JPG

I have this in the post, is your copy the vertically scrolling game? Or is it the horizontally scrolling Laser Gates?

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

This one is the vertically scrolling one. Great little game 👍

Yeah I've played the ROM a little, and although it's very simple and wouldn't win any awards for graphics and sound I thought it was fun. Hopefully my copy will arrive this week. 

• Like 1

I've had this game in my collection for a while. First time, I played it without reading the instruction manual and stopped playing after about 10 minutes or so thinking WTF am I supposed to do??

Tried playing it again today after actually reading the manual. Turns out you have to get rid of the nuclear particles as quickly as possible while trying to smash them into the control rods either side to stop the core from expanding.

Great and underrated puzzle/strategy game. 😀

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 3

Lucked out and got myself a copy of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle that actually works on the 2600+.  
Was pleasantly surprised that though it’s simple, it’s a decent little platformer.

Been playing it tonight, figuring out the nuances of it. Decent graphics. An actual soundtrack during gameplay.
I like how it increases the difficulty on each run through. The platforming to me feels like a precursor to Super Mario Bros. in a way. 

Overall, I’m pretty happy to have found one working, and it was worth the hunt. This is a pretty good 2600 game. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed a little game of Chopper Command today. I like the flap flap flap sound of the rotor blades and the great gameplay. Unfortunately, I often have to get up from my comfortable couch to use the reset button, so I probably still need a little training... 😉

IMG_0736.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 5:15 AM, MikeM_ said:

Lucked out and got myself a copy of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle that actually works on the 2600+.  
Was pleasantly surprised that though it’s simple, it’s a decent little platformer.

Been playing it tonight, figuring out the nuances of it. Decent graphics. An actual soundtrack during gameplay.
I like how it increases the difficulty on each run through. The platforming to me feels like a precursor to Super Mario Bros. in a way. 

Overall, I’m pretty happy to have found one working, and it was worth the hunt. This is a pretty good 2600 game. 

I want to try and pickup a boxed complete version of Smurf, if I can. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

I want to try and pickup a boxed complete version of Smurf, if I can. 👍

I’m shipping a couple games to Ben today, including my older copy of Smurf that doesn’t work, to see if they can tweak the dumper a little more and get some of these multi-rev titles better coverage. 

if successful, should be safe to pickup any copy and know it should work. 👍🏼 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LS650 said:

16:9...   :(

Try adjusting your TV and any upscaler device setting. I have an Lg tv. I am currently playing the 2600+ connected to retrotink 2x pro. Which does not like 480p and the mclassic. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LS650 said:

16:9...   :(

The pal version is in 4:3, TV (15 years old Panasonic) is in game mode. I've already checked that 16:9 would fill the entire width of the screen. Some PAL games have a rather wide display format, NTSC usually completely fills the height of the image. At least that's my experience. Are there PAL users for whom Chopper Command looks different?

Edited by 2LTIME6100

On 2/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, shane857 said:

Playing this today. Gameplay is kind of slow. After playing it a few times I got into it. 👍

DSC_0007.JPG

I like that game, I liked the second one too `Bounty Bob Strikes Back` I played that first on the C64 and it was published by USGold in 1985 I think, when I was 14...:) my friend had the game on his C64 and then I bought it, £9.95 on Cassette, I loved all the USGold games and Ocean too.
I have both games on my A800XL, Miner 2049 on cart and BBSB on Cassette.

River Raid is a good game too, I like that... :)

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 2

Been playing this, on my original VCS thou. First time I have played it on actual hardware.

This game is tough 💪

Would love to play it, and other touchpad games on the 2600+. Maybe the touchpad will be supported soon...

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 4

I played for the first time today Stella’s Stocking on my 7800 on my CRT. That is a really fun game!! And I absolutely love the Christmas music that plays on the title screen. That alone made the purchase worth it.  I’m totally going to set that up and leave it on playing music while I have family over this next Christmas. 

• Like 2

Played these two games for the first time today..,

Road Runner is really arcade feeling. The Difficulty ramps up quite a bit, thou not frustrating enough to stop playing.

Crystal Castles is a great arcade port, In my opinion considering the hardware limitations.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

• Like 1