IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

On 2/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, shane857 said:

Playing this today. Gameplay is kind of slow. After playing it a few times I got into it. 👍

DSC_0007.JPG

This arrived recently and I have to say I quite like it. The best tip I'd share is jump instead of walking as the walking is painfuy slow. It improves the game immensely. 👍🏻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Played Gravitar first time. This game is fcukn tough!! 💪💪

Played it on game 5, the easiest with no gravity and failed every time. 

I played this for an hour. Could not quit...

DSC_0007.JPG

I love this game! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Played Gravitar first time. This game is fcukn tough!! 💪💪

Played it on game 5, the easiest with no gravity and failed every time. 

I played this for an hour. Could not quit...

DSC_0007.JPG

Yep, I agree. I got this myself a few days ago and it is brutal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Played Sesam, öffne dich(Open Sesame).

An addictive little platformer. use the ropes to get to the top, which I assume is a cave?? lol and get the treasure.

Had some fun with this one. 

DSC_0007.JPG

It's a good one, I like these quirky games. 

• Like 1

Played Gas Hog until I reached the 3rd square and it is addictive. You have to learn a few things and the controls.

When the fuel warning blinks, go down to lower floor for refueling at the 2nd gap!

Otherwise you drive backwards too long and no fuel appears between 1st and 2nd gap! (*)

I use a joystick with an Up button to jump.

To get up after refueling, you should drive on the most right, to be able to steer left and up to jump to top level. With two buttons it works better than with the stick only😊

If you drive on the most left you will fail to get up as Up+Left does not get registered(*).

(*) If the bad reviews mention flaws they probably refer to this😉

Will see if the game gets too difficult from 4th square on, which might explain the mixed reviews🤔

Maybe it will be the classic of the month at "Dr. Pongs Praxis für angewandten Spieltrieb" soon😊

20240311_202542.jpg

20240217_005105.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Played Gas Hog until I reached the 3rd square and it is addictive. You have to learn a few things and the controls.

When the fuel warning blinks, go down to lower floor for refueling at the 2nd gap!

Otherwise you drive backwards too long and no fuel appears between 1st and 2nd gap! (*)

To get up after refueling, you should drive on the most right, to be able to steer left and up to jump to top level. With two buttons it works better than with the stick only😊

If you drive on the most left you will fail to get up as Up+Left does not get registered(*).

Will see if the game gets too difficult from 4th square on, which might explain the mixed reviews🤔

Maybe it will be the classic of the month at "Dr. Pongs Praxis für angewandten Spieltrieb" soon😊

20240311_202542.jpg

20240217_005105.jpg

A real man of taste and gaming knowledge. 🤟🏻

I am glad you are enjoying THE hidden gem on the system. It truly is a great. 

What's your high score so far?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240311_202542.jpg

20240217_005105.jpg

May pick that one up myself.

• Like 2

Reasons Gas Hog is a classic

1) Polished title for it's release date.

It features:

Push fire to start

An end screen

A pause function

How many 2600 games feature all three of those?

2) Controls

The vehicle is super responsive and controllable. You can adjust mid jump and really head where you want to go. 

3) Nice graphics and sound

It's not the best looking or sounding 2600 game ever, but for its era it is good in both of these aspects, particularly the sound. The scrolling is smooth and fast, and in two directions. Use of colour is nice. I'd say it was technically a very sound game, even compared to many big name releases. 

4) Addictive and fun

It's a great pick up and play game, when you understand it's unique gameplay. The press fire to start fearure and the fact that it has an end screen make starting a new game quick and satisfying. 

5) Pedigree

It was made by the same programmer who made Fast Eddie and Turmoil, two highly rated 2600 games. He also went on to work on other famous games at large companies. I have purposely not elaborated more on this so you can go and check, will you have played his games? Yes!

6) Stop wasting your time, go play Gas Hog.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

Played Midnight Mutants for a few hours today. First time I have played it for a while. looked at the manual and just played it, no walkthrough videos.

Best to collect the items in order before venturing further, I think... Knife, cross. Haven't managed to get the axe yet.

Tough, thou completable game. Anybody actually beaten this game? 

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/31/2024 at 4:27 AM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Been playing Spider-Man 2600. This game is tough but addictive.

I am terrible at this game, I really need to try it again. 

I am also not great at Crazy Climber but I enjoy that much more. 

• Like 2