IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

There are still too many really rare and obscure carts out there which go for stupidly low prices, though it's getting less often. It used to be that even Video Gems games would go for less than a tenner.

Of course this is bad financially, but good as it means we're getting our due recognition. :)

I have been adding some photos of my carts to the list over the past few days and will add heaps more when I receive this massive lot of games I got from ebay. jadedoz

Excellent.. that's the spirit. :)

Perhaps we have enough now to make a read-only version for people... though there's still a lot of rarities we need to sort out (I noticed we had Bumper Bash down as an 8, which is slightly er... optimistic. :) I put it down to 6 I think, and even that's a little generous).

Bumper Bash is less common than Gas Hog in Pal.

It's one of the harder Spectrvision/video carts to get (though not as hard as Mangia, even in Pal).

In my experience a 6 is too low, maybe 7.

You will notice, by refering to my sig, that it's one of my most wanted at the moment.

Yeah, Bumper Bash is pretty rare in Europe. It only made it into the UK as a trade/press review copy. You see quite a lot in Australia though.

Mangia did make it out in the UK though, but on the world scheme-of-things, I would say that Mangia still harder to acquire than BB.

Added two pictures to the guide:

Frankenstein's Monster (Gameworld)

Pete Rose Baseball (Absolute)

I have no clue what the rarity of that Pete Rose is, so i set it at 5. Feel free to change it. Bought both games for EUR 1,- each on Ebay. I was really surprised that no-one else bid on them. That frankenstein is even boxed + manual (box in bad shape though).

Hmm. I just checked the DPG7 and according to them, the PAL version of Pete Rose is by HES and the NTSC version from Absolute. Which would suggest my Pete Rose is NTSC. I compared the colors of the game to the screenshot in the NTSC rarity guide here and they are different, but not that much as you would expect from a NTSC cart on a PAL system. See the picture below. What do you guys think? Is this a NTSC or PAL cart?

I am pretty sure my TV does not handle NTSC carts properly because i tested it with Glib (100% NTSC) and the colors were way off...

post-2952-1102103584_thumb.jpg

Gameworld Frankenstein's Monster? CIB? 1 Euro? I hate you. :)

It's worth about $50 I'd say, CIB. In as much as I've never seen one. Ever. I do own it loose, but not the box.

This is what I mean when I say that PAL prices are still stupidly low for some things... Gameworld carts are pretty hard to come by (though I do have 4 of them) and the boxes? Hens' teeth have nothing on 'em...

It all goes with ups and downs, I think. Around '97-'98 prices on PAL stuff were quite high. There were two dozen hardcore US collectors interested in obscure PAL games. When they were more or less saturated, the demand for PAL stuff plummeted. Also, the new generation of collectors who were then discovering this hobby were more and more of the "NTSC only" kind. Furthermore, don't forget that prices have generally come down in this hobby for 90% of the games.

As for the current rise in PAL prices, it mainly appears to be a UK thing. The Euro mainland still seems a bit reluctant, with an occasional exception of course (often called Marco). ;)

Cheers,

Marco

PS: boxed Gameworld games are indeed a nice find. In combined finds/sightings I think I've seen 5 or 6 complete collections over the years, mainly from the UK.

Incidentally, there was recently allegedly a boxed 32-in-1 game cart sold for £9.99....

The silly seller, however, only provided a pic of the (very common) cart and not the (very rare) box. He told me - after the auction had ended - that the box was indeed the "full colour Atari box" but I never saw a picture so I can't verify it.

If it was indeed the full boxed 32-in-1 cart, though (not the plastic VCR-style box Telegames use these days) then that was a steal at £9.99.

The silly seller, however, only provided a pic of the (very common) cart and not the (very rare) box. He told me - after the auction had ended - that the box was indeed the "full colour Atari box" but I never saw a picture so I can't verify it.

If you still need one, i have one up for trade soon...

:?: But no-one has any ideas about the PAL/NTSC issue with that Pete Rose Baseball cart :?:

Cheers

Raymond

Concerning your Pete Rose cart, HES was an Australian company - the European PAL version will have been Absolute. You definitely have a PAL cart there, if that's a PAL system you tried it on.

Incidentally, I felt this illustrates once again how stupid prices for dead rare PAL things are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=8150784050

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=8150784001

Anyone want a nice unboxed Carrere Video "Octopus" then? :)

[NB: I've put Gopher and Space Jockey Carrere Video games to rarity 5 - 4 was just too low. I'm not even sure about if they shouldn't be higher to be honest....]

Anyone want a nice unboxed Carrere Video "Octopus" then? :)

Yes me :) What do you want for it?

[NB: I've put Gopher and Space Jockey Carrere Video games to rarity 5 - 4 was just too low. I'm not even sure about if they shouldn't be higher to be honest....]

Gopher you don't see that often, but for Space Jockey (and M.A.D. btw) i would say 4-5 is about right...

I have the maroon box to the 32 in 1 pal cart.

Also I thought that fighter pilot is quite rare... I never saw the box for this Activision game.

Ah - I can answer this one.

By a complete co-incidence, I got a CIB Fighter Pilot just yesterday, and no, you won't have seen the box for it, or if you did you won't recognise it. It came in an Absolute "Tomcat" box! I have no reason to believe it's not original... the instructions are also Absolute instructions, but the cart is 100% minty fresh Activision black label "Fighter Pilot"...

The 32-in-1 box is a very good find...

It came in an Absolute "Tomcat" box! I have no reason to believe it's not original... the instructions are also Absolute instructions, but the cart is 100% minty fresh Activision black label "Fighter Pilot"...

ahhhh, now I`m joyfull that this riddle is solved.

I just put my Fighter Pilot in one of my spare Tomcat boxes and..... my boxed Activision collection is now COMPLETE and I mean complete :D :D :D

I just put my Fighter Pilot in one of my spare Tomcat boxes and..... my  boxed Activision collection is now COMPLETE and I mean complete  :D  :D  :D

Got a picture? :)

Incidentally, I just took delivery of another load from the postie..

Cross Force (completes my Spectravideo/Spectravision collection! Yay!)

Space Robot (Another Goliath text-label game - number 1!)

Jumping Jack (One more for the Dynamics collection)

Shark Attack (it is PAL! - missing the end label but I could use an NTSC one for that).

So I can categorically say that Shark Attack does exist PAL. Now to go update the database... :)

By a complete co-incidence, I got a CIB Fighter Pilot just yesterday, and no, you won't have seen the box for it, or if you did you won't recognise it. It came in an Absolute "Tomcat" box! I have no reason to believe it's not original... the instructions are also Absolute instructions, but the cart is 100% minty fresh Activision black label "Fighter Pilot"

Check the bar code on the bottom of the box, it should say Fighter Pilot.

Cheers,

Marco