IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

I have bought an 850 interface,  a USB programmer kit,  an Avg cart and a fujinet for my Adam computer,  i have a few basic carts that I will put something interesting on.  Also bought four 9 pin straight adapters for my 850 interface (9 pin to 9 pin male-male).

Edited by rcamp48
Typos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, rubeon said:

You absolute legend.

Moonbase Alpha thanks you for your service 

If anyone is interested in one of these, they are still available from Walmart.com. Don’t go the eBay route, sellers are asking for an extra $100 over the actual price of new one.

• Like 4

I helped a friend of mine get his Atari 2600 running this week. He found most of what he needed and I gave him some tips on how to clean it up and connect it to a modern TV. He absolutely loved it.

So he texted me today and asked me if I wanted something. All free. I just haven’t tested it yet because I wanna clean it all up first. But it looks like everything is here.

4B9F4C77-552A-4F96-828E-F6DA8B91A31C.jpeg

A5EF694F-03DD-4987-B9AF-E6D8E2F87778.jpeg

E22E2762-8AC3-4A39-A015-78C6D5C530E5.jpeg

5B21D02D-7AB4-4FED-A7E1-7EC770FA021D.jpeg

EDD84875-618C-48C4-AD86-29ED6F6DA4ED.jpeg

4EA86932-5939-471A-8BCC-75EA9475CA24.jpeg

AFD19E37-C5F1-4AC2-A628-2911BE0C28E7.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I helped a friend of mine get his Atari 2600 running this week. He found most of what he needed and I gave him some tips on how to clean it up and connect it to a modern TV. He absolutely loved it.

So he texted me today and asked me if I wanted something. All free. I just haven’t tested it yet because I wanna clean it all up first. But it looks like everything is here.

4B9F4C77-552A-4F96-828E-F6DA8B91A31C.jpeg

A5EF694F-03DD-4987-B9AF-E6D8E2F87778.jpeg

E22E2762-8AC3-4A39-A015-78C6D5C530E5.jpeg

5B21D02D-7AB4-4FED-A7E1-7EC770FA021D.jpeg

EDD84875-618C-48C4-AD86-29ED6F6DA4ED.jpeg

4EA86932-5939-471A-8BCC-75EA9475CA24.jpeg

AFD19E37-C5F1-4AC2-A628-2911BE0C28E7.jpeg

Holy God...

You need to buy that dude a Harmony cart. 

Seriously.

At least.

In my experience, the Game Gods are good to those that deserve it, I'm sure you do, I hope you enjoy that, that's AMAZING!!!

Good on you!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I kinda need to vent.

First, I regret.

About a month ago I found a CIB Miracle Keyboard (NES edition) at the thrift store. I NEVER find vintage game stuff at the thrift stores anymore. I want to tell the story of this, and with the community's permission I will. Sadly, I failed to write about it right after I got it, so it's been a bit of time. Good news is it works, and my kids and I have been enjoying it.

Also missed the opportunity to mention I bought Mischief Makers for the N64. Also about a month ago. What a game!  Again, kids and I have had fun with it. Tempted to do the same thing and write about it like I just got it. Maybe I will... I think I have some time this weekend.

But what I really want to do right now is bitch.

Now... If you know me around here, I don't do this... Like at all.  But right now... Yeah I need to!  But I'll try to make it funny.

You don't need to drop the worried face.

I just want to tell the story.

So... In addition to not bitching, I'm also not the kind of guy who buys knives.  Or any of that macho scary crap that is in any way related to knives.

When I was a kid tho, specifically 11 or so, my group of friends and I called ourselves the Mad Vikings.  We were just being tweens and having fun... But yeah, we decided Vikings were kewl and we liked all things related to Vikings. 

While waiting for a doctor's checkup... In the office I was reading through a magazine (Life?) and found a full-page ad for a collectable. 

Back in those days... Lots of collectables were being manufactured and sold in magazines. Lots of Wizard of Oz, John Wayne, movie monster things... As a rule... They were crap.  Even THEN I knew this. EXPENSIVE crap.  Probably one of the worst offenders in the market was The Franklin Mint.

This was an ad for "The Viking Knife" from The Franklin Mint. Basically a small sword. Well... A USELESS small sword because it was purely decorative (I think it actually said "this is not a knife" in small print).

It also cost a small fortune.  Doing some quick math in my 11-year-old head resulted in the realization that, should I fill out the registration card, I would be paying for this thing well into my adulthood even if I devoted 100% of my weekly allowance for the duration.

I tore out the ad and kept it tho.

Many many years later...

I'm dating a woman who has a teenage son. This woman is Norwegian.  Her son likes swords, knives and axes.

I ask this kid... Here's a challenge!  Off the top of your head... if you can name a classic video game console that I don't own in three guesses, I'll buy you a sword!!

He did his three guesses.  Never thought he'd get me.  But his last guess was Gameboy Advance.

Dang. I don't actually own one of those.  (Although I play tested with them at EA)

Ok. So I owe you a sword.

I immediately think of this cheesy Franklin Mint item from my past 

Damn it ebay... you make junk way too available!  It took awhile for one to pop up for a low minimum.  Actually... For a few months there were none at all.

Then one popped up.  These awful "manufactured collectables" type things come up all the time, but unless they are listed at a low opening bid, they just sit there forever.

By the time "The Viking Knife" popped up for a low opening bid, my girlfriend and I had broken up.  

Not a terrible breakup or anything... It just ended. We're adults. Nuff said.

But I still owed teenage son a sword.  I have a thing about keeping my word.

So... on Labor Day I got up on waterskies (this old geek has still got it), and I was out there being dragged through the water thinking "I'll bid the minimum... What the hey".

So I did. I won.

The thing arrived today.

It was locked in the display case.  The key was missing.  I already knew this.

Dropped the recently broken-up-with girlfriend a line and offered it to her/her son, so I could keep my word and leave them with a pleasant memory of me.

An hour ago I got an email reply. It said simply... No Thank You.

Okaaaay. So I guess I own this thing now.

I picked the lock. Turns out it was simple screwdriver slot.

Wow. This. Thing. Is...

Crap.  Seriously.  I know very little about knives, but I can tell you this thing isn't one. Also... it is as useless as anything can be.

It looks nice. Kinda. I mean... I'm proud of my house and choice of decor. Seriously... You should visit.  It's nice here.  I have snacks. 

BUT, this thing doesn't belong in my home.  I have a sprinkling of cheesy stuff amongst my possessions, sure! (most of said items have Pac Man on them). But big display knives?  Um... No. That would be like getting a mounted buffalo head, or a huge Harley Davidson poster or something else ghastly.  (My sister had a huge poster of Tim Curry from Rocky Horror wearing lingerie, but she was a teenager then)

If you like my examples, more power to you. I don't mean to offend. They just aren't my taste.

Anyway. I don't know what to do with this thing.  It really is low quality too!  I opened up the case and the display and mounts are made of styrofoam and hot glue.

Seriously.  It's also starting to rust and it's supposed to be stainless steel.

Anyway, I own this now.

IMG_20220919_221027711.thumb.jpg.eaf089e85dbf9f809e5c259a7807cdd0.jpg

So... Thank you for letting me vent.  I hope this brought some... Laughs maybe?  Maybe not.  Anyway, don't buy anything made by The Franklin Mint... Or really anything that was sold and designed to be a collectable with no other purpose at all, especially from the 80's and 90's. 

I feel bad for whoever bought this thing in 1988. I paid a fraction of the issue price, especially given inflation, and nothing about it reflects any worth of any kind.

And if you read that whole thing... Yes, you really should drop by sometime. I really do have snacks, and we can definitely play Pong if you are down.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I hope this brought some... Laughs maybe?

Definitely brought some laughs. Thank you.

2 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

So what you’re saying is I should expect to get a Viking knife in my Secret Santa gift??

As did this.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

So what you’re saying is I should expect to get a Viking knife in my Secret Santa gift??

Hahaha!!!  If that's yer thang!

I had DoubleDown a few years ago. He specifically said he liked Viking stuff.  He got a pendant depicting Odin on his horse Sleipnir.  (If he hasn't figured out the symbols, I hope he reads this)

I almost sent him some Mead too, but that would have broken some post office rules and I didn't want to compromise his loot.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
... of course I would have to draw your name, ClassicGMR... that's supposed to be random, y'know.
  • Like 3

I recently purchased the above pictured heavy Sixer and it came with some games and the original manual.  When looking through the console manual I noticed that they had listed some games, which match the games I purchased.  I think this was actually an estate sell auction that I purchased and these were a part of the same collection, which managed to stay together through the years. I love finding these kind of details when I make a purchase.  This looks like a first generation Heavy Sixer purchase to me. Ofcourse they purchased the games over a 2-3 year period.  They came all together in this fancy holder.

4B8E9205-323F-4837-AD53-0DBF3438F525.jpeg

3FC69955-F167-4345-A317-C028833A947B.jpeg

8459AFB4-711F-48B9-AB79-1AA8AEE8BF6C.jpeg

8C44628C-4AAA-4EA2-BF24-80C6BD205A3D.jpeg

1318020C-6CF5-4181-9D8B-8A953BA1EFBD.jpeg

695EB138-9860-4A30-BEA8-A07A3058C673.jpeg

• Like 8

After 4 months of non-stop searching online and offline, I finally found it at a local store:

my beloved SLAP FIGHT!

Pic_1002_111.thumb.jpg.00537cfcbf7b213383640aa2199fdc4d.jpg

And it's the JAMMA version! I never finished redoing the wiring in the Astro after I rotated the monitor, so I need to go do that so I can play Slap Fight infinitely FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WITH NO EMULATION OF ANY KIND! Need to play it 440 times and then my 441st credit and on will be "free", though...

• Like 2