IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

23 minutes ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Oh, for sure.  I'm doing ing the second game now which does have a little more substance but it is still rather basic in terms on gameplay. 

It's also heavily flawed. 

The use of flip screen scrolling not only  soured the combat.... fighting at the edge means fighting something you can't see 🙄

Flip screen scrolling and limited frames of animation, meant yet again, the Amiga version just didn't feel like the machines hardware had been used enough over the 8-bit versions.. 

And you soon discovered that repeating the same move over and over again, was enough to defeat the creatures. 

Controls needed improvement, try pulling off a low swipe move and your character might suddenly turn around.. 

The  level design is  basically a maze, which even using the  'compass' system,gets confusing. 

Palace did plan a third instalment :

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/07/super-barbarian-amiga-st-pc-c64/

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/barbarian-3/

Edited by Lostdragon

On 6/24/2023 at 7:38 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

More page 3 action on this week's Battle of the Ports with Barbarian II

Another good episode.  Definitely more substance here.  While it was good for its time, I would say it could and/or should be a lot better.  However, I appreciate your comparisons as always.  Take care and look forward to many more episodes yet to come.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Yakumo1975 said:

I'm Batman............

Any chance of the Batman Forever Arcade Game (different from the SNES crap) being featured on BoTP?  There's both Saturn (of course) and PS1.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:43 AM, Lostdragon said:

Horrendous title. 

Something even Jag CD owners were thankfully spared. 

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-jaguar-batman-forever-the-arcade-game_32670.html

Reading the docs on Atarimania it looked like the Jag CD version would be based on the Saturn port but with additional FMV provided by Warner Bros.

But like all things from Sam Tramiel, it's all smoke and no show... :roll:

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:03 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

With Dial of Destiny being out pretty much all over the world, it seems only fitting to do an Indiana Jones BOTP.

Will have to give the GB version of this a go sometime.  However, most versions of this game are about what The Dial of Destiny is, 'mid' (as the kids say these days) or just (kinda) crappy.

6 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Will have to give the GB version of this a go sometime.  However, most versions of this game are about what The Dial of Destiny is, 'mid' (as the kids say these days) or just (kinda) crappy.

As far as the Indy francise now goes...

indiana-jones-belongs-in-a-museum.gif

• Like 1

What part of "last crusade" does Disney and Paramount not understand? 

The thing that aggravates me about Batman Forever is that it actually inspired Midway to make its own side-scrolling platformer based on the Mortal Kombat franchise. Mythologies wasn't AS BAD as Batman Forever, but it still wasn't something anybody really wanted.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:20 PM, SlidellMan said:

Speaking of Batman Forever:

Sunsoft, Konami, Atari Games/Tengen, and Atari Corp made better games with the Caped Crusader.

Absolutely loved this one at the time, the whole comic book panel style used for the graphics, just the right mix of detective work and fisticuffs. 

Lynx Batman Returns looked great in still shots, but lacked the animation frames to do the sprites justice, when moving. 

Plus, it was sooo bloody difficult, I had to use the cheat code, to get anything from it 😭

10 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Last week we looked at Batman Forever. Now it's time for Batman Forever The Arcade Game. Is it a better game?

Sadly not. 

The PlayStation Batman And Robin game the one they said the Saturn couldn't handle 🤔 was also rubbish. 

Fantastic Tim Follin music, it's only saving  grace. 

32-bit era, terrible for Batman games 😭

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:53 PM, SlidellMan said:

It seems like the only Indiana Jones games worth playing are The Fate of Atlantis, Greatest Hits, and the PS2/GameCube/X-Box game.

Not true... plenty of great Indy games:

Arcade/Mame - Atari Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

PC/Amiga - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Graphic Adventure) The Best Last Crusade game

Nes - Taito Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Atari 2600 - Raiders of the lost Ark - I like it at least

SNES - Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures (I see you did mention that)

The bad ones are the various ports of Last Crusade Action game - published by Ubisoft/Tiertex/US Gold. NES Temple of Doom is awful as well.

I'm torn on Infernal Machine - recall the camera being pretty wonky. Played a little bit of Emperor's Tomb - didn't think it was too bad.

Edited by schuwalker
  • Like 1