IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

I have to agree on the vert mode, borderline unusable for me personally. They definitely nailed it with the Capcom titles built-in and the IREM cart pack-in game. Blaze's website states the EXP has stereo speakers and it seems that way to me. Perhaps you've got one bad speaker?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, madman said:

speakers and it seems that way to me. Perhaps you've got one bad speaker?

I re-checked it; it has 2 speakers on top/bottom or vertical - left/right.

I have probably held one finger up along the side blocking its output.

I deleted my comment in my mini-review text it ought to have stereo, but forgot to remove the complaint from the summary.

Seems like my review needs some updates and can be slightly improved upon in some details.

Perhaps my ‘Evercade EXP - Mini-review NEXT’ with additional updates and errors weeded out, will come in the future … 😉

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, madman said:

Blaze's website states the EXP has stereo speakers and it seems that way to me. Perhaps you've got one bad speaker?

I don't know if that's what he meant, but what happened to me several times is only the right speaker would work then suddenly, during a game, the left speaker would turn on. Which usually surprises me because I didn't notice it didn't work to begin with (it's more obvious with a headset, but I'm not sure if the problem is software or hardware related). In any case, it sounds (lol) like a bug that could be corrected with a firmware update.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't know if that's what he meant, but what happened to me several times is only the right speaker would work then suddenly, during a game, the left speaker would turn on. Which usually surprises me because I didn't notice it didn't work to begin with (it's more obvious with a headset, but I'm not sure if the problem is software or hardware related). In any case, it sounds (lol) like a bug that could be corrected with a firmware update.

I haven’t done some systematic hardware test, - I’ve just played it and tried to feel the overall gaming-experience, and on occasions its like I really got annoyed by having so poor sound, seeming as if coming from one direction.

On other occasions, - checking it - turning it in vertical position from side to side, I could hear both speakers making sound.

I think, - and hope - you’re correct that these issues will be corrected with better firmware.

I distinctly remember that the speaker-sound annoyed me, was unsoft on my ears, and it was like I only heard its rigth outlet,

Again, this may be due to me - in playing vertical - putting my forefinger/triggerfinger/index finger up along the console-unit to keep

it steady as the action went on.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 10:49 PM, jgkspsx said:

Tapeworm Disco Puzzle is one of my favorite Evercade games so far. Looking forward to the cartridge so I can finally update my VS firmware!

I got a little bit of this game in today, it's right up my alley. Pretty straightforward so far, but I've only played maybe a dozen levels. I'm looking forward to more time w/it and of course checking out the rest of the games on the cart.

• Like 2

So my hunch is that there will be a special item coming this year (perhaps a new controller like a Trackball and or Spinner/Paddle type idea) that will be on the roadmap as a mysterious ??? item.  In previous years, we had the VS and EXP releases as the mysterious 'NEW' thing.  I'm thinking there will be some kind of new mysterious item.

There will be a dozen games sprinkled throughout the year as well.  Indie Collection 2 was the start and it sounded like 11 others are signed/incoming for 2023.

The one thing I find interesting is that the 2021 and 2022 roadmaps were released in April of their respective years.  February is a bit early but I'll take it!  I'm wondering what the next surprise collection will be.  Whatever they are, I'm looking forward to them all!

• Like 2

I heard about the Commodore 64 2 and Toaplan 2 collections today!

C64 2 has California Games; Cybernoid; Firelord; Impossible Mission II; Insects in Space; Mission Impossibubble; Nebulus; Pitstop II; Slayer; Street Sports Basketball; Sword of Fargoal; Uridum; World Games; and Zamzara.

Toaplan 2 has Demon's World; Fire Shark; Hellfire; Rally Bike; Twin Cobra; Twin Hawk; and Wardner.

Sounds fun!

• Thanks 1

I am not surprised with the 2 Collections being announced. I remembered Blazing mentioned a 2nd C64 collection last year and I recalled the same with Toaplan collection 2. 

Going into this year, C64 collection 2, Toaplan Collection 2, and Amiga Collection 1 were basically automatics for this year for Evercade collections with the only question was when in 2023. I mentioned Amiga because in October of last year, Blaze announced a partnership with Amiga.

• Like 1

I wish they would get the Japanese versions on here; people are seriously missing out due to the lack of the (superior) Japanese 1P original versions; Kyuukyoku Tiger is WAY better than Twin Cobra.

The way the Toaplan guys actually want you to play their games is the Japanese 1P versions with the checkpoints, and that is how they are balanced. Take that away, like what happens in the overseas versions where you respawn, and it damages the game balance, especially in games like Hellfire and Zero Wing, which have speed powerups, so you'll just respawn on the spot, potentially in a mess of enemies, which would cause you to chain death.

The one possible exception to this is Fire Shark; Same! Same! Same! 1P version is one of the most difficult games ever created, but they toned it down significantly for the overseas version, which added simultaneous multiplayer and was then modified to make the Same! Same! Same! 2P version. 2P Same! is the easiest version by far. At the halfway point, Fire Shark's difficulty starts to resemble the insane and absolutely terrifying 1P Same! Same! Same!, so be ready for it to destroy you once you get to stage 6. Just don't die on stage 7 in any version of the game because you're probably not going to be able to recover if you do; I don't think there are any speed powerups on that stage in either of the 2P versions and you absolutely need to play the game at max speed.

Look forward to Dash Yarou/Rally Bike, though; that game is awesome! I have the PCB for that one. Everything explodes in that game except for you, so it's pretty obvious that it was made by Toaplan.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2