IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Anyone think there might be a secret Duke Nukem game unlocked when you insert both Duke carts into the VS? That would make sense considering the special edition VS console bundle with the carts.

Possible candidates:
Duke Nukem (GBC) - similar to Duke Nukem II but different enough to be worth including

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour (N64) - we haven't seen an N64 game yet so I'm not even sure if it's possible but it plays similarly to the two PS1 games they're including

The other games in the series are not really candidates:

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project (PC/360/iOS) - probably too elaborate

Duke Nukem Arena (Mobile) - began as a Tapwave Zodiac game, basic FPS, re-released several times, had an aborted DS port. Would at least run on Evercade.

Duke Nukem Mobile I and II (Mobile) - horrible sidescrollers that nobody would want even for free

Duke Nukem: Critical Mass (DS) - we haven't had a DS game yet, something would have to be done about the 2nd screen stuff, and nobody really liked this one anyway. 

Duke Nukem Forever (PC/PS3/360) - definitely too elaborate, wouldn't work on any Evercade controllers even if the systems could run it

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the GBC game as a secret bonus.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Then it should be the GBC game...

It seems like the most likely option if we're going to get a secret game. I don't know that Evercade can handle N64 emulation or if there'd be licensing issues.

The only other feasible option would be Duke Nukem Arena, which was originally released in 2004 as Duke Nukem Mobile on Zodiac. It was re-released with extra content twice for various mobile platforms. It reuses Duke Nukem 3D assets much like Duke Nukem Advance, but the resolution and frame rate were much better. The aborted Nintendo DS port leaked out in 2020.

I really don't think Evercade could handle Manhattan Project and I KNOW it can't handle Forever.

• Like 1

On Discord they mentioned that the Indie Showcase at the end of the month will add a new system to the Evercade’s capabilities. My money is on the Spectrum. But I would also like to see the Turbografx or Vectrex. What systems not already represented on Evercade have a significant indie scene?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

On Discord they mentioned that the Indie Showcase at the end of the month will add a new system to the Evercade’s capabilities. My money is on the Spectrum. But I would also like to see the Turbografx or Vectrex. What systems not already represented on Evercade have a significant indie scene?

I really hope it's not the Spectrum. That's the most unplayable system this side of a Tiger game.com. I'd rather play ET 2600 with someone constantly poking me in the eyes.

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I am not much attuned to the CV - are there a lot of original homebrews that aren’t just ports of existing games? That would be pretty cool.

The Colecovision has a bunch of potential choices from Homebrew games,or just a bunch of original Colecovision games would be great!

It's a system I never played or collected much for,so it would be highly anticipated by me.

I was too busy playing my Intellivision to get too involved with Coleco.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like to get a cart of some of the games that were on the AtGames CV Flashback, like Pepper ii and  Oils Well.  Lot's of goodies on that plugnplay.  Of course I could dream about and never get stuff like Mouse Trap and Mr. Do!.

(Actually, probably won't be getting any CV stuff for Evercade.) 😪

Edited by Recycled
  • Sad 1

Game Gear would also be a decent guess for a new system. The system already does SMS and Genesis emulation so it would likely be trivial to add Game Gear as well.

PC Engine or Neo Geo would be good gets but I don't know how likely they are.

5200, Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan maybe? 

Or maybe some other old PCs like the MSX, Atari ST, Atari 8-bit, Amstrad CPC, etc.

• Like 4

They are announcing the new system in the Indie Games Showcase, so it’s something with a significant quantity of homebrew games.

Dreamcast??? Unlikely. NGPC, WonderSwan, NeoGeo don’t really have enough homebrew to make a collection, do they?

Maybe DOS???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

They are announcing the new system in the Indie Games Showcase, so it’s something with a significant quantity of homebrew games.

Well the Sydney Hunter cart has an INTV game from Collectorvision who has a number of Coleco games. So that's my guess, time will tell. 

• Like 3

As far as we know carts still have to be compatible with the OG handheld, and I don't think that thing has any chance of emulating Dreamcast games at a reasonable speed. 

I think N64, Jaguar, Saturn, and 3DO are probably pretty unlikely too. 

Neo Geo, Coleco Vision, Game Gear, SEGA CD, 32X, Turbografx-16/PC Engine, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, ZX Spectrum, BBC Micro, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, Odyssey 2, Astrocade, Channel F, Vectrex, SG-1000, MSX, Watara Supervision. Gotta be one of those.

I did see a rumor about a Super A'Can collection but I have no idea if there's any validity to it.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The problem with the retail library is that it is full of impossible ports to license e.g. Zaxxon and Donkey Kong. Hopefully the homebrew library is less problematic.

A good chunk of the CV homebrew library is actually made of MSX/SG-1000 ports of licensed games, though, but there are definitely original games as well, fortunately.

6 hours ago, famicommander said:

5200, Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan maybe? 

If it was 5200, it would be really disappointing imho. 😅 PC Engine or NeoGeo would be great for me.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

so it’s something with a significant quantity of homebrew games.

Then it must be Spectrum! 😝

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, famicommander said:

I never bought any special editions but I did buy one each of the original white handheld, the white VS home console, and the white EXP handheld. 

I would imagine that impacts the software attach rate negatively,

Yeah, - guess all wants to sell to a large potential of buyers when making investments for a release.

Perhaps some of Evercade popularity can be gleamed/guessed at from getting a feel from it’s YouTube-presence, and counting up views, likes etc since date of release:

A positive review video/Ad from April have accumulated 178000 views.

The Super Pocket Capcom and Taito have been seen 23700 times the last 12 days.

IMG_6432.jpeg

IMG_6431.jpeg

Edited by Giles N

6 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I wonder if the easy mode on the Super Pocket is just for the built-in games.  Hopefully it works on the carts too.

Very good question! I'm not sure it's something that can be automatized that easily, if it's actually picking the 'easiest' setting for each dipswitch (given that the lowest setting can be the easiest or the hardest depending of the setting).

• Like 2