IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

We don't know how many Evercades have been sold, but we do know how many limited edition consoles have been sold via Funstock:

3000 black Evercade handhelds

1000 purple Evercade handhelds

5000 black VS Founders Edition consoles

5000 black EXP handhelds (and that stolen truckload is out there somewhere too)

2000 Duke Nukem Atomic Edition consoles

2000 crystal Taito Super Pocket handhelds and 2000 crystal Capcom Super Pocket handhelds (sold as a bundle)

The Super Pockets aren't sold out yet but we all know they will be soon, and that will make an even 20,000 of the special edition consoles. 

Anyone care to venture a guess how many of the standard OG handheld, EXP, VS, and Super Pockets have been sold? 

We can guess the total if we can guess what fraction the limited editions represent of the total number sold.

If they're 1/2 of the total, obviously, then there are 40,000 Evercades sold. 

1/4 = 80,000 Evercades

1/10 = 200,000 Evercades

1/20 = 400,000 Evercades

1/50 = 1,000,000 Evercades

Obviously whatever the total number sold is, the actual install base of users will be smaller because several people bought more than one console. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I bet most of the limited hardware was bought by the same ~2500 people every time.

Wouldn't be shocking. I'm sure a ton of Evercade owners bought several systems. I never bought any special editions but I did buy one each of the original white handheld, the white VS home console, and the white EXP handheld. 

I would imagine that impacts the software attach rate negatively, but then again I'm sure there are a ton of collectors out there buying every cart just because they're numbered to offset that somewhat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I wonder if the Super Pocket will have save states.  Or if the buttons can be mapped.  Also, it would be nice if there's an auto fire option for the shooters.  

Save states yes, button mapping no. Autofire??? But there are dipswitches.

• Like 1

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blaze-entertainment-hyper-mega-tech-taito-super-pocket/6549862.p?skuId=6549862

In the about item description, it mentions Bust-a-Move as a game.  But that isn't showing up in the actual game list from Hyper Mega Tech.  Perhaps it's a bonus for the Best Buy version or it's a typo.  Bust-a-Move is Puzzle Bobble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puzzle_Bobble

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blaze-entertainment-hyper-mega-tech-taito-super-pocket/6549862.p?skuId=6549862

In the about item description, it mentions Bust-a-Move as a game.  But that isn't showing up in the actual game list from Hyper Mega Tech.  Perhaps it's a bonus for the Best Buy version or it's a typo.  Bust-a-Move is Puzzle Bobble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puzzle_Bobble

Interesting!  The box only shows the 17 games...But sure enough the text there says 18 and mentions Bust A Move.  I guess I never knew Bust A Move was by Taito,  as there used to be a Microbrewery/Bar & Grill here in town that had it on NEO-GEO and we'd drink beer and play it all the time.  So I always assumed it was SNK...

I don't know if they will,  but I could imagine them releasing a Best Buy Edition,  and maybe putting a sticker on the box or something...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

In the about item description, it mentions Bust-a-Move as a game.  But that isn't showing up in the actual game list from Hyper Mega Tech.  Perhaps it's a bonus for the Best Buy version or it's a typo.

It sounds like Bust a Move got yanked at the last minute. Some European retailers listed it too. It would be awesome if it were included but I assume it will

be on Taito Vol 2.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, famicommander said:

We don't know how many Evercades have been sold, but we do know how many limited edition consoles have been sold via Funstock:

3000 black Evercade handhelds

1000 purple Evercade handhelds

5000 black VS Founders Edition consoles

5000 black EXP handhelds (and that stolen truckload is out there somewhere too)

2000 Duke Nukem Atomic Edition consoles

2000 crystal Taito Super Pocket handhelds and 2000 crystal Capcom Super Pocket handhelds (sold as a bundle)

The Super Pockets aren't sold out yet but we all know they will be soon, and that will make an even 20,000 of the special edition consoles. 

Anyone care to venture a guess how many of the standard OG handheld, EXP, VS, and Super Pockets have been sold? 

We can guess the total if we can guess what fraction the limited editions represent of the total number sold.

If they're 1/2 of the total, obviously, then there are 40,000 Evercades sold. 

1/4 = 80,000 Evercades

1/10 = 200,000 Evercades

1/20 = 400,000 Evercades

1/50 = 1,000,000 Evercades

Obviously whatever the total number sold is, the actual install base of users will be smaller because several people bought more than one console. 

The list of limited edition Evercade items is becoming limitless. 

That's why I'm glad I stopped buying them before it goes into the unlimited range.

I have what I need to play all the games.😊

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

It sounds like Bust a Move got yanked at the last minute. Some European retailers listed it too. It would be awesome if it were included but I assume it will

be on Taito Vol 2.

If we're talking CARTS,  They better put out a VOL. 1 before they worry about a VOL. 2.

(Finish what's on your plate or ya don't get a candy bar,  numsayin'?)

And as much as I Love Space Invaders and Bust A Move for that matter...VOLFIED!  is the Great Game here!  At least for me,...Yes it's a silly name and yes it should have had a Western release in the arcades,  under the name Ultimate QIX (or QIX Neo if need be (PS1 fans know))...And ideally it should have been Identical to the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis release,  which although slightly different, has a near perfect learning curve (IMO),  also it's a rare game that runs Too Fast on Emulators...(But perhaps I digress)...

• Like 1

Did/does Atari own and get revenue from Atari Collection 1 and 2?

Or was the games licensed by Blaze to promoto broad interest in retro-games?

I don’t see Atari selling anything Evercade-related from their official site, nor displays them.

They do display their bigger collections released multiplatform?

And who gets the revenue of the Lynx 1 and 2 collection?

@Songbird, do you know/are you at liberty to inform? 

Scrapyard Dog Lynx is both on Evercade Lynx 1 and Atari 50th Anniversary?

Who gets the income?

Yeah, and Atari Arcade for Evercade, is it Atari’s own thing?

- - -

Reason I’m curious is because, - if Atari owns these releases and gets revenue from them, it would seem very natural that they

1) would put out many more Atari Arcade compilations with titles picked from Flashback Classics Switch and 50th Anniversary.

(I mean they want to go multiplatform)

2) they could strike a deal with Blaze for an Evercade Atari-edition with lots of titles built-in, including exclusives (at least within a given timeframe) and get their brand, name and stuff more highly promoted, - even with titles in-it mostly to be found on the VCS, just to get people to know about it)

Could be interesting to hear @davpa’s thoughts on the last one, when time allows and at his own discretion if stuff and strategies are under discussion/developement.

- - -

From a gamer-viewpoint, many things that would appear like a win-win-situation, may after all be more complex given all the formalities ‘behind the scene’.

- - -

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

If we're talking CARTS,  They better put out a VOL. 1 before they worry about a VOL. 2.

(…)

And as much as I Love Space Invaders and Bust A Move for that matter...VOLFIED!  is the Great Game here!  At least for me,...

They seem to have put in titles that cater to different age-groups, or even regions.

I for my part never encountered Volfied! anyplace where they had Arcades back in the 80ies and 90ies, so for me its not a title I have strong emotions about.

But from business-perspective you’d want to hit a broad audience.

For me Space Gun is the Taito-game that really blows (almost) every other title away, - or well, they come in secondarily, yet, given questions concerned purely with how many games can they sell for a 50-60$ handheld, they must pick the most crowd-pleasing ones. Op.Wolf is just more fameous.

But I hope both Capcom and Taito follows suit with cart-collections for use with all Evercades (original, VS, EXP, VS-Nuke-special and whatnot).

Why not sell games that are already made, and can be ROMified! by using same procedure as that - whatever it was - made Capcom games, and now Taito-games - play on Evercade-hardware…?

Cannot be such a risk to sell games if you’re a retro-game-name out there… (as Taito primarily is, contra owner Square Enix, - ok I take back primarily, but at least often is associated with, for example Puzzle Bobble from 80ies to 2023) 

In retro-gaming,  being remembered and staying around to please old-gamers and get new people interested, is like a currency in itself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If I had to guess, Taito and Capcom don't want their games sold on a compilation cart for that cheap because they're selling the same or similar compilations (or individual titles) on Switch, Playstation, Xbox, and PC for a higher general price. If the cost of the games is obscured by being built into the hardware that's a different story. I'm going to also guess that's the reason the Namco carts aren't licensed for home console use. Because they didn't want to compete with their own offerings on console/PC digital storefronts or physical compilations.

• Like 1

And like I said earlier (on top of the previous page):

On 7/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, roots.genoa said:

I agree but I suspect it was the same deal as with Capcom; some publishers will only allow games included on a system for some reason. If I had to guess, I think they demand that to limit how many times the licensee will use their games. With a cart, even if they stop producing it, Blaze can still create new systems compatible with it.

Also, regarding your Atari "fantasies", remember that Atari 50 sold probably a lot of more than Atari Evercade carts, since it was released on a ton of platforms with far bigger user bases. So no, Atari wouldn't necessarily make money by releasing games from Atari 50 on Evercade. And Yes, I know you would buy them. Sorry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, famicommander said:

Taito and Capcom don't want their games sold on a compilation cart for that cheap

This is why gamers/users like me would hope for several follow-ups of compulations, like what you’d get on Capcom Stadion 1 + 2, to be spread out over 3 or 4 Evercade-compilations.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Also, regarding your Atari "fantasies", remember that Atari 50 sold probably a lot of more than Atari Evercade carts, since it was released on a ton of platforms with far bigger user bases. So no, Atari wouldn't necessarily make money by releasing games from Atari 50 on Evercade. And Yes, I know you would buy them. Sorry.

I’m sorry if I answer on this, and it’s not me you address as indulging Atari-fantasies…

… but I’m unsure whats confusing about my questions, and how they’re not of interest regarding the situation of Atari, also since I mention that for retro-gaming companies, staying around, being remembered etc, becomes like second currency.

But fair ‘nough… perhaps I nourish too many secret, wet dreams of Atari Star Wars full-scale home Arcades for 15$ each…

Anyway, ‘Atari Fantasies’ could be a nice title for a new compilation … has a nice retro-sound to it 😁

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, madman said:

Both have superior screens to the Evercade

I threw myself on the Evercade when it came out, because 2 main-reasons - it seemed to be a neat old-style handheld, it seemed to go in the direction of steady expansion of building game-compilations - both from big names like Namco to smaller ones.

And… iphones are not very nice to play old-shool games on and thise titles that was releases disappeared after sufficiently many ios-updates…

… it felt often akward to play, and just for the games being there, surviving the next firmware-update felt random…

On 7/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, famicommander said:

No, I cannot guess on a number, but as to guessing whether it’s growing in popularity in Retro-game circles (and thus something to reckon with as to release games on it), consider this:

«

The Evercade range has seen some pretty amazing cartridges recently, but none of them have sold in the kind of numbers required to break into the UK top 40 chart – until now.

According to the official chart compiled by GfK,

the recent Team17 Collection has managed to rack up so many sales that it has made it into the top 40 physical game releases sold in the UK this week – even outperforming Team17's other physical release, Killer Frequency, which launched on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch but failed to make the chart.»

«According to a report from the BBC, roughly nine out of ten video game purchases were digital. To be exact, the Entertainment Retail Association (ERA) claims that 89.5% of video game purchases were digital downloads, while the remainder 10.5% were physical.11. jan. 2023»

«In 2022, combined physical and digital unit sales of video games in the United Kingdom came to 34.2 million units»

— — —

1/10 of that would be 3 420 000 physical units sold in UK for 2022 (of everything)

The UK has a big gaming industry, and being among to 40 on a monthly chart for physical releases may not sound like all the world, but the Evercade sells worldwide, or at least internationally.

But guesstimating total Evercades sold … I’ll pass. 

Moreover, some who have bought an Evercade may but only some carts, put it aside and loose interest, others Evercade owners would want to collect everything Evercade twice over.

I think its interesting to see that it expands - both in number of versions/types of consoles and also companies using it.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1