IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

4 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't understand the "hate" towards Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis. I know Shaun Musgrave agrees with you, but it's one of my favorite carts. I really prefer a cart with few excellent games than a ton of mediocre games, and I'm more interested in homebrew games than "classics" (which don't always age well).

I like those games even though I don't seem to get very far in Tanglewood...

• Like 2

Now,

As for VOLFIED,   I really do prefer Ultimate Qix on Sega Genesis,  because, with it's better learning curve,  it seems to be a more perfect game.  Not to mention, It's a cart and not Just handheld... It's still really intense, but it's not insane for its level of difficulty.  I get that the Arcade version is designed to be a quarter muncher, but Damn!  I think with a game that hard,  not too many people would keep playing.  Also, the collision detection is just a tiny bit off,  though it could just be hard to see pixelly perfect on such a tiny handheld.

I don't know that I'll ever get my 99.9% like I do on the Genesis version....**Sigh**

Oh well,...

At least I've done this.  ;) 

20231227_050143.thumb.jpg.b1c0eee0afb04c83de9cda498bbbf5ac.jpg

20231227_050012.thumb.jpg.d678719af498eef3213cc3b96a6ec2f9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just don't enjoy Xenocrisis very much but Tanglewood is one of my favorites. (Same thing with Alwa's and Cathedral, where Alwa is one of my favorites, or Mega Cat 1 where Tänzer is one of my favorites.)

The line between "I am a big fan of this cart" and "I would have liked to see them work on the cart lineup some more" is probably around 45.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People probably dis them because its only one or two games instead of 6-20 like most carts. I totally agree that quality trumps quantity. If someone did a good job, I could see someone making a game specifically for evercade, rather than android or some old console. With nearly 4 years under its belt and over 50 carts now, I find it hard to believe someone hasn't made a game for it yet. Its a reasonably powerful handheld, well designed with a decent controller, so why not?

edit

Of course some would object as "its only one game, instead of 5-20"

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather have more games. Better chance of finding a few I like. Plus, although I play a little bit of everything, my heart is in the pre-crash era.   With the current releases skewing more toward post-crash style homebrews that I don't find interesting, plus single and duo carts,  I'm afraid I'll lose interest in Evercade.  I'm still on board now, I plan on picking up Indie Heroes 3 and C64 3 next month. Like I said I'm in the minority here; evidence shows what they are doing is working, and working for most tastes posting here and beyond.

• Like 4

On 12/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, GoldLeader said:

As for VOLFIED,   I really do prefer Ultimate Qix on Sega Genesis

My one issue so far with my Super Pocket has been the choice of versions has seemed somewhat arbitrary. Typically I prefer arcade versions over console in retro collections, but for the Super Pocket some of the home ports would work better. Also don't forget Qix Adventure, the odd Qix attempt to copy Pokemon on the Gameboy Color.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

My one issue so far with my Super Pocket has been the choice of versions has seemed somewhat arbitrary. Typically I prefer arcade versions over console in retro collections, but for the Super Pocket some of the home ports would work better. Also don't forget Qix Adventure, the odd Qix attempt to copy Pokemon on the Gameboy Color.

Oh,  Don't get me wrong,  in mentioning my preference I wasn't suggesting that they should have gone with that...Merely that I hadn't done a serious comparison to the actual arcade game,  and I was amazed at how hard it actually was!  Of course I Do wish they'd put it on a cart so I could have played it on the "Big Screen".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In case you missed it: Atari has ended the licensing agreement with Blaze and all five Atari cartridges (Atari Console 1&2, Atari Lynx 1&2, Atari Arcade) are now out of production. Songbird, VGP, etc all got restocks so you will want to order soon if you want a copy of any of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The latest patch is (back) out: https://evercade.co.uk/evercade-features-update-december-2023/

In short:

- Turbo fire beta

- High score saves beta

- Improvements to SRAM handling (could lose your save states, so be careful if you are well into Goodboy Galaxy or something)

- Automatic cartridge backup/restore feature added in case of update errors

- "Force patch cartridge" option added to settings to repair some corrupted cartridges

- Enhanced rom of Goodboy Galaxy

- Legend of Wukong and Planet X2 game-breaking bugs fixed

- Duke Nukem 1&2 bugs patched

- Duke Nukem 3D performance and save state bugs fixed

- Duke Raider game bugs and video and audio rendering fixed

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

- Improvements to SRAM handling (could lose your save states, so be careful if you are well into Goodboy Galaxy or something)

This raises questions, since saves are on carts. So... if the saves disappear on the EXP, I guess you could still get them back on the Super Pocket. But what if you create a new save on the EXP? Will it be readable on the Super Pocket as well? 🤔

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:47 AM, roots.genoa said:

This raises questions, since saves are on carts. So... if the saves disappear on the EXP, I guess you could still get them back on the Super Pocket. But what if you create a new save on the EXP? Will it be readable on the Super Pocket as well? 🤔

…no, if you do that, the Universe will explode at the speed of light instead…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 2:51 AM, roots.genoa said:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the update does not improve savestates but "regular" saves for games that feature it (games that used a battery or a memory card back then).

Yeah, it's just complicated since the save states have saved SRAM state of their own (if I understand right). So if you have more than one save state and your "real" save is on the third one it might get nuked along with the save state. I may have misunderstood, though.

Hmm, love the look of black systems, but I've got enough variants of evercade already so I think I'll pass. Looks nice though.

I'm weird, so I might pick up a hot pink console or handheld if they made one, which I think would be more "valentine" anyways.

If the duke system actually makes a reappearance I'll definitely try for that though.

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

Bad Street Brawler (NES)
The Fidgetts (GB)
Glover (N64)
Mermaids of Atlantis: Riddle of the Magic Bubble (NES)
Risky Woods (Genesis)
Sküljagger: Revolt of the Westicans (SNES)
Star X (GBA)
Street Racer (SNES)
Target: Renegade (NES)
Zero Tolerance Underground (Genesis)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, famicommander said:

No reaction to Evercade getting its first N64 game with Glover?

I don't really care about Evercade getting N64 games, mainly due to the controls and the reality that I can't imagine many of them would run great on the current HW and not to mention how many quality titles they can realistically license. I will say Piko 4 is a slightly more interesting cart to me than Sunsoft 2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madman said:

I don't really care about Evercade getting N64 games, mainly due to the controls and the reality that I can't imagine many of them would run great on the current HW and not to mention how many quality titles they can realistically license. I will say Piko 4 is a slightly more interesting cart to me than Sunsoft 2. 

I'm still hoping they'll eventually enable analog control, at least on a joypad for the VS system. It would solve a lot of problems not only for N64 games but also the still-mostly-unplayable Atari Arcade collection.

They could probably squeeze another Duke Nukem collection out if they find a good solution for the controls. The 2 N64 games and the GBC game would be no worse than the PS1/GBA games on Collection 2.