IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Do the games save data to the console or cart?  On the Evercade VS, if I remove a cart and then insert the same cart back in the save data is gone.

Basically, by leaving the cart in the console, the save data is fine.  But it gets erased when taking the cart out.  I noticed it happened on the Data East Arcade as well as the Renovation cart.

Wow, that's weird, because today I precisely resumed on my EXP a game started on the Super Pocket... By the way, the Super Pocket doesn't have a quick save/load function, but the first save slot is the quick save slot on EXP.

• Like 1

There's no reason not to have a save on the cart itself, but I'm pretty sure the save for most games is on the system. Most games use their own area, so using slot whatever shouldn't affect more than that game. Maybe ill hook it to my computer and see what comes up, if anything (just because its USB doesn't mean it'll talk to the computer)

30 minutes ago, Video said:

There's no reason not to have a save on the cart itself, but I'm pretty sure the save for most games is on the system. Most games use their own area, so using slot whatever shouldn't affect more than that game. Maybe ill hook it to my computer and see what comes up, if anything (just because its USB doesn't mean it'll talk to the computer)

Evercade's website says the saves are on cart. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Do the games save data to the console or cart?  On the Evercade VS, if I remove a cart and then insert the same cart back in the save data is gone.

Basically, by leaving the cart in the console, the save data is fine.  But it gets erased when taking the cart out.  I noticed it happened on the Data East Arcade as well as the Renovation cart.

To the cart. Is your firmware up to date? I would contact support.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's what I was figuring.  If perhaps the monthly firmware updates could have caused the data to be erased.

That is rare and should only affect saves once. If you can't save new saves something else is going on. Is it possible you yanked the carts or cut power to the VS while it was writing to the memory?

Just now, jgkspsx said:

That is rare and should only affect saves once. If you can't save new saves something else is going on. Is it possible you yanked the carts or cut power to the VS while it was writing to the memory?

So far it only happened once with the save data being erased.  And only on the 2 carts I mentioned.  I didn't remove the carts or cut power while saving data.

• Like 1

Anybody having trouble with duke 1+2 on vs?

I just went from current update to console factory reset(?), it still dies(?) or at least loses sync forever after the little c:\> intro and 'loading' screen.

seems to work on the super pocket and duke 3d at least gets to title screen on vs (probably farther, I stopped testing there and went back to 1+2)

I notice it says 'console up to date,' in system menu which makes me wonder about "factory reset" 🙄

seems like it forgot my wifi password and that's about it.

last month's petscii robot cart started out super-jank on it too, but eventually decided it wanted to start working flawlessly. I assumed it was either booting it up on the super pocket, or updating the vs firmware, but probably just this same deal.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Sad 4

...and very much like with the petscii robot cart, now it just works. 😫

Started working last night, and works every freaking time, same as the other cart.

I put off posting it in here as I was trying my hardest to reproduce any kind of failure again.

I spent probably an hour trying to get this going last night and about the same amount of time today trying to get it to break.

am currently actually furious, because just like the petscii robot cart, now it just works every time.

List of things it's not:

• one vs slot vs other one.
  • screen resolution (1080p vs 720p do the same)
  • not the power supply (I'd tried it in the big usb one that powers my MiSTer)
  • not running an old firmware
  • not helped by "factory reset" (not even sure what that resets since the firmware stayed "current version"
  • not some kind of aftermarket VS firmware--I don't run that, but if anything I'd think it'd help.

could still be something that starts working when I properly boot it in a different system (in this case super pocket). but I don't recall it immediately working in the VS after that.  I'm also not sure if it's a 'crash' or just a permanent loss of sync. It doesn't drop me back at the menu like the crashes do, because oh I've had tons of evercade crashes, and other evercade issues.

So sometimes I get the feeling that evercade carts/hardware are all just a bit 💩

I said it, and it needed saying

Edited by Reaperman
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

So sometimes I get the feeling that evercade carts/hardware are all just a bit 💩

I said it, and it needed saying

It's a budget system and sometimes you run into budget system problems. I believe there are also save game issues w/some of the new Duke games. Because who would've thought to QA saves on their highest profile games of the year? This isn't to defend them or demonize them, it's just the way it is. 

Figured it out(?)

It's actually the petscii robots cart. if it's in either slot, duke 1+2 loses sync or crashes or whatever.

No idea why, but annoying. can anybody else replicate? I don't even know if it's other carts, or just that one.

@Ryan_Blaze

Proof that I'm not crazy (its uploading now, but below vid will start working sometime):

Yeah, obviously I'm just frustrated today. If I really didn't like Evercade, I wouldn't be trying this hard, and would just play on something else. and yes, my turbografx-16 setup is basically just a glorified 'evercade stand' right now...

Edited by Reaperman