IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

7 hours ago, Giles N said:

The latter part of my post concerned the color of the Analogue Pocket - a color that may perhaps not exactly have been my initial number one choice if I could choose -  so I rambled and ranted a bit about that.

My confused emoji was about the fact you paid taxes for the Super Pockets and not the Analogue Pocket. I'm glad you didn't get any for the latter, you've been very lucky, but I really don't understand why you didn't buy your Super Pockets "locally" through Amazon for instance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

My confused emoji was about the fact you paid taxes for the Super Pockets and not the Analogue Pocket. I'm glad you didn't get any for the latter, you've been very lucky, but I really don't understand why you didn't buy your Super Pockets "locally" through Amazon for instance.

Those LE Super Pockets were only available from Funstock. And there is 100% absolutely no connection between Blaze/Hyper Mega Tech and Funstock. They just for some reason get exclusives no other retailer does. But, no connection.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, madman said:

Those LE Super Pockets were only available from Funstock. And there is 100% absolutely no connection between Blaze/Hyper Mega Tech and Funstock. They just for some reason get exclusives no other retailer does. But, no connection.

Oh, thanks, that's why I didn't understand the thing about button colors they mentioned. I didn't know there were limited editions (and really didn't care).

39 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Well,  at least I think we can all agree saying Hyper Mega Tech Taito Edition Super Pocket just kind of rolls off the tongue...

Yeah, I still don't understand why they created a new brand to release an Evercade-compatible system. And now we see people are confused because they weren't aware it is compatible with Evercade carts.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2

Yeah the branding is really odd, I also don't understand why they hide the Blaze name. Or why they pretend Funstock has nothing to do with Blaze. Looking at both my EXP and Taito SP boxes there's only one mention of Blaze on the bottom. Are they trying to distance themselves from the old Blaze of Xploder cheat cart days? The building addresses for Blaze and Funstock are the same, why act as if they're unrelated companies? 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 3:08 AM, roots.genoa said:

It's a bit surprising to me because I compared both systems side by side and Super Pocket's screen is not that smaller than EXP's, technically. The total surface is smaller since EXP's screen is 16/9, but the actual display is not a lot smaller. 

Ok. Guess I'll find out. Fiancee just asked what I wanted for my birthday that's coming up soon. May as well get that Taito edition. Could be nice and convenient to have while waiting on a car repair and perhaps a back up if the EXP goes on the fritz...like my first one did.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Well,  at least I think we can all agree saying Hyper Mega Tech Taito Edition Super Pocket just kind of rolls off the tongue...

I wouldn't wanna have to shoehorn "Limited Edition" in there somewhere...might sound kinda silly.

Not if you can mosh-fry it out fast enough… 

Anyway, - concerning my Analogue Pocket project - since it the primary drive was to be able to collect for the Lynx - with a modern quality screen and grip etc;

IMG_7317.thumb.jpeg.01626933458ee0e09dd8eec91a955903.jpeg

I went ahead with next step.

Hope i don’t have to 1 and s half year. Hope it really ships within 2023 as said.

To celebrate it…

IMG_7292.thumb.jpeg.60adedac4ad72241b5732b7c80c9b4dc.jpeg

… in style with the console: carbonated water flavoured with pineapple snd grape…

… ah … that pink taste… I can actually taste a color … 

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

My confused emoji was about the fact you paid taxes for the Super Pockets and not the Analogue Pocket.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I got confused by your confused-emoji response to my confused ‘packages-received+pink-color rant-combo-post’.

Actually if the custom services in Norway will also stay consistently confused to taxations of my import-stuff it’ll be all fine…

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, madman said:

blue light have nothing to do with Japanese gamers. Blaze/Hyper Mega Tech is not a Japanese company.

… you’re probably right… the word ‘blaze’ may be a telltale sign of the culprit here…

… the battery of my EXP overheats, so I can only play it with cable (which turns off battery), 

… and now I get to ‘enjoy’ having something akin to a low-energy-laser blazing right into my eyes as I try to make it through to the next super-hard oldschool arcade-coin-eating game…

Blaze my balls!!* And the buttons on the middle of the back gives me almost the cramps… 

- - -

*5200-owners and 7800-owners may pick up the reference…

Edited by Giles N
  • Sad 1

I didn't order the LE consoles because I knew the Capcom one was pointless since I own an EXP and it was only the bundle, but the LED thing never occurred to me. I looked at some marketing pics and they don't even show it on while the screen displays an image. But also the LED on my EXP bleeds everywhere so I guess that should be expected from a budget device, which these are. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, madman said:

Yeah the branding is really odd, I also don't understand why they hide the Blaze name. Or why they pretend Funstock has nothing to do with Blaze.

IMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.05672f143841aa5401c09dcb6ab6ecc5.jpegIMG_9641.thumb.jpeg.946859a89bdef100dbe7235732d93224.jpeg
????

I don't think they do pretend that Blaze and Funstock have no relationship. Obviously they do hence all the exclusives. But they're not the same company, they just have the same owner.

• Like 2

Say what you will and I fully realize you do your whole contrarian thing on this forum, but you don't find it a little odd with all this branding? You look at a box for the Switch, it says Nintendo Switch. You go to playstation.com and it says Sony right on the top. The only mention I see of Blaze on the evercade.co.uk site is some small copyright text. And where is Blaze's website? I found a Blaze Entertainment and it's clearly not them. What appears to be their Twitter/X page says "you're probably looking for @evercaderetro". Who is the one company that owns both Evercade and Funstock? Is that Blaze? Imagine buying a Super Pocket not knowing any of this, you get home and find out it plays Evercade carts. OK so why is it a Hyper Mega Tech brand handheld named the Super Pocket that plays Evercade branded games made by a different company named Blaze? And I'm not entirely sure why they created the Hyper Mega Tech brand if it's only sold in the same handful of places as the Evercade products. 

To me it all seems needlessly confusing for the average person. It of course doesn't change anything, just seems really bizarre to me is all. 

5 hours ago, madman said:

And I'm not entirely sure why they created the Hyper Mega Tech brand if it's only sold in the same handful of places as the Evercade products.

I don't think you're thinking of the right person if you think I'm contrarian, unless liking Atari games makes me contrarian on AtariAge.

I do agree with this, though. The only hypothesis I have is that the Evercade didn't sell well at Best Buy and other brick and mortar retailers and they got another shot by using another brand name. I think the goal was to sell Super Pockets at Kohls and Target and whatnot but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.

Also your hypothesis that Blaze has negative brand equity in retro gaming circles is IMO plausible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Maybe it's supposed to be a normal word from someone called jgkspsx, but... 🤔

Yeah, but I think his name is short for (hold on,  I'm usually a pretty decent decipherer)...JohnathanGeekSpeakSouthParkSugarSmax!!  (Or jgkspsx fer short)

6ujd44.jpg 6bnywv.jpg

These pictures,  of course have nothing to do with jgkspsx,  but somehow I felt they must be included in my post...

• Haha 2

Maybe different branding is TO cause confusion? I mean, not all evercade fans are on a well versed up to date board like we are. Joe blow goes into a store, and may be more likely to pick it up because it doesn't say evercade on it.

It could be a future compatibility thing too, like maybe some games down the line don't work. Customer support just says "well its not evercade" or maybe its like rebranding, like Sears video arcade, which is just a rebadged Atari 2600, and I believe even produced by Atari themselves.

Then again, it says blaze on the start up splash screen when you turn it on, so idk.

• Like 1

The Super Pocket box/marketing also mentions it plays Evercade carts. As I said earlier, if Joe Blow goes into a store, sees a cool handheld by Hyper Mega Tech that contains a bunch of Taito or Capcom games, he might buy it. Upon unboxing there's a poster inside that talks about Evercade games and links to hypermegatech.com/evercade and has a Blaze copyright beneath it. It's the Hyper Mega Tech Taito Super Pocket that plays Evercade games licensed by Blaze. Oh and don't forget the Limited Edition Hyper Mega Tech Taito Super Pocket only available at Funstock. Simple as that.

• Haha 3

My comment above about the HMT/Blaze Taito + Capcom Special Editions, was written on a somewhat flippant note.

Yes, the on-light was a little distracting and shoulder-buttons are placed wrong.

I mean those things still.

But they feel of quality-build, are very portable (in size), and have really vivid screens and crisp sound.

I still cannot really get past that it seems Taito and Capcom are done with the Blaze-stuff.

Hope something makes them change their minds. (Not tomorrow of course, but in the future).

- - - -

What happens now, if brands such as Konami, Tecmo, Kairosoft

and Hudson Soft also want to release things Evercade-compatible…?

2 or 4 new brandings putting out Evercade-compatible hendhelds of various shapes and sizes…?

Why these moves to make it clear you won’t play these games on any other device than the one carrying them on board…?

- - -

Anyway, the Hyper Mega Techs were cool enough - and definitly value for money.

Had fun putting Atari Collection into the Taito version, then testing Operation Wolf Arcade followed by Alien Brigade for 7800.

I have to say Alien Brigade holds up pretty darn good for an 8-bit game contra an Arcade game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Giles N said:

What happens now, if brands such as Konami, Tecmo, Kairosoft

and Hudson Soft also want to release things Evercade-compatible…?

Konami and Tecmo license games for the Arcade Archives series like Taito does, so why not. Hudson belongs to Konami. Now Kairosoft is a completely different beast. Their games use pixelart but I really don't see that kind of sims on a system like the Evercade or the Super Pocket. I'm pretty sure they require a bigger screen for menus.

• Like 1

Do the games save data to the console or cart?  On the Evercade VS, if I remove a cart and then insert the same cart back in the save data is gone.

Basically, by leaving the cart in the console, the save data is fine.  But it gets erased when taking the cart out.  I noticed it happened on the Data East Arcade as well as the Renovation cart.

Edited by Intellivision Master