IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

1 hour ago, leech said:

Yeah... I started getting into trying to build a late 90s PC build... motherboards are going for 100-200!  Some of which are untested, no CPU/RAM, etc.  Hell, they didn't cost that much new!

I find the best find is to watch places like Craigslist FB market place, local auctions, garage sales and even misworded eBay listings.

I been wanting to get a 90s laptop, and just got a Toshiba T2130CT 486DX4-75 laptop for 25USD :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Iguana Bob said:

As a both buyer and seller on ebay, it seems that a lot of buyers are just as crazy as the sellers. Many would rather pay $100 for a broken item and then spend months (and another $100) fixing it rather than to just buy a working one for $150.

I agree although there could be other things at play here and it's sometimes not as simple as that. (Indulge me ;) )

Some buyers might not realise the extent of the required fix, time invoived or cost. Most of the time if selling a system as untested/not working, most sellers haven't got a clue. (It's often just an attic or clearance find). So the buyer takes a gamble if they have the skills to fix it and sometimes it pays off and it's a quick fix (replacing bad ram for example. Costs peanuts, relatively quick). The worst is if you have a failing Pokey, Antic or GTIA chip. Can prove a real pain as hard to source.

Also a "sold working" machine is often not the case. I've seen sellers list a system as working having just plugged the power supply in and seen a red light, (which of couse means nothing). Even if you get a working screenshot of it running, very often the computer might have bad keys or instability, custom chips tetering on the verge of failure.

The flip side of buying a system that is sold as not working/for parts is that it's turns out to be a working system but the seller doesn#'t have the means to test it and so they have to list it as such. Of course some use this as an excuse to sell a system they know to be a dud. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

4 minutes ago, Overange said:

I find the best find is to watch places like Craigslist FB market place, local auctions, garage sales and even misworded eBay listings.

I been wanting to get a 90s laptop, and just got a Toshiba T2130CT 486DX4-75 laptop for 25USD :)

ha - I used to have one of those - it's amazing how heavy old lappy's used to be. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

wonder if the seller has a reprographics business and prints fakes heh heh!! ;)

At the time when I posted the link, he had two different ones up for sale. One for $2,000 and the other for $10,000. The one for 10K was clean, but the other one had some small tears in the fabric. He's dropped the price considerably now. They're $500 and $1,500 respectively; and I guess it's the one for $1,500 that you posted about that he's also offering in the UK.

I think a lot of people don't know exactly what these things are worth; so, they shoot high just in case. Then the price gradually drops... sometimes not so gradually.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:07 PM, Beeblebrox said:

I agree although there could be other things at play here and it's sometimes not as simple as that. (Indulge me ;) )

Some buyers might not realise the extent of the required fix, time invoived or cost. Most of the time if selling a system as untested/not working, most sellers haven't got a clue. (It's often just an attic or clearance find). So the buyer takes a gamble if they have the skills to fix it and sometimes it pays off and it's a quick fix (replacing bad ram for example. Costs peanuts, relatively quick). The worst is if you have a failing Pokey, Antic or GTIA chip. Can prove a real pain as hard to source.

Also a "sold working" machine is often not the case. I've seen sellers list a system as working having just plugged the power supply in and seen a red light, (which of couse means nothing). Even if you get a working screenshot of it running, very often the computer might have bad keys or instability, custom chips tetering on the verge of failure.

The flip side of buying a system that is sold as not working/for parts is that it's turns out to be a working system but the seller doesn#'t have the means to test it and so they have to list it as such. Of course some use this as an excuse to sell a system they know to be a dud. 

Very true.  I figure that as long as the POKEY is good, it's worth $60.  🙂

So, given I am taking a risk, a parts machine had better be around $50 plus shipping.  The last parts machine I bought took a couple of days to get working.  So, time-wise it really wasn't worth it.  I've noticed it can take at least a couple hours to even fix a keyboard.  Tracking down other problems can take a day or two of serious troubleshooting.  The last machine had multiple problems....some of which were probably caused by the last owner deciding to replace capacitors that weren't bad to begin with.

Edited by reifsnyderb

23 hours ago, Geister said:

The metal sign of the Atari 800 for 27.99 seems like a much better deal.

Although the pool table above which it is hung seems awfully small... 

Is anyone aware of such signs being made by Atari? I assume it's a kind of replica with repurposed graphics (like many such signs). 

You people are way too harsh.  The vintage tape used to "fix" the retro rips in the box alone is worth at LEAST $200 in today's dollars.  Not to mention, there is a REWARD card in the box.  Who knows what THAT could be worth!  I'm sure they're still going to honor that, right?  Though I am always a little suspicious of sellers who sell something "as-is" since... well... being retro, I would prefer them to say "as-was"... but that's probably why it's only $1,500 and not $15,000!

image.thumb.jpeg.a77605e29b0b3d18781f56d823751e51.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Yes, but in his description he does say in cap's "VINTAGE" also it's described as "Very Rare"

and then later "ULTRA RARE", you've just got to laugh at these people 🤣🤣🤣

Ah, quotation marks for emphasis:

https://proofreadanywhere.com/punctuation-pet-peeve-quotation-marks/

Or perhaps he really means it is (air quotes) "vintage".

Edited by ivop

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Yes, but in his description he does say in cap's "VINTAGE" also it's described as "Very Rare"

and then later "ULTRA RARE", you've just got to laugh at these people 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah true, but I can't help wondering how people come to these valuations.

10 hours ago, Tillek said:

Looks like it's been taken down.  What was the price/reserve?

it was an xegs with no keyboard, just a psu starting at £99 (reserve not met) with the description: "Unfortunately when testing I connected the wrong power supply and overloaded."

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

A grey cx40 joystick for... wait for it..... 180 euro (£156)!!!!!! 😬🤔😉

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225356457213

Then watch the rest of the herd follow...

Numbys= 'Oh hey, I got one of them there Grey Joysticks, I see they sell them on eBay for 180 bucks, I better put mine on there for 180 bucks aswell'

I see it all the time with Competition Pro Joysticks....

I even see the same buyers buy them cheap on eBay then list the same one for 20 Bucks more a week later, and guess what??? he still has them for sale???

• Like 1

Just now, Overange said:

Then watch the rest of the herd follow...

Numbys= 'Oh hey, I got one of them there Grey Joysticks, I see they sell them on eBay for 180 bucks, I better put mine on there for 180 bucks aswell'

I see it all the time with Competition Pro Joysticks....

I even see the same buyers buy them cheap on eBay then list the same one for 20 Bucks more a week later, and guess what??? he still has them for sale???

But that being said, have you seen this one he has?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224641384311?hash=item344dab7f77

image.thumb.png.02967e4a937bff2dc7c877cef375cb8c.png

Now that would be rare and possibly about that valuation??