IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Glad you like it. 8)

It was primarly done in interlace mode (7 colors) with using XL-PAINT v1.5. So, advantages were: many details and smooth (esp. on Knight's face), but it lacked colors...

Now I reworked it to fit G2F's style. :)

Hi,

Glad you like it.  8)  

It was primarly done in interlace mode (7 colors) with using XL-PAINT v1.5.  So, advantages were: many details and smooth (esp. on Knight's face), but it lacked colors...  

Now I reworked it to fit G2F's style.  :)

It's very good.

But I noticed you used charmode and didn't take usage of it so there are colours still available.

I like all the nice pictures but I don't quite understand what Graph2Fnt is. Is it a graphics conversion program that takes a source GIF and converts it to some strange Atari 8bit display program that makes use of character graphics? I downloaded the software and tried it but got very bad results. I may not be using it correctly, need some kind of tutorial, but there is not much in the way of explanatory information anywhere (at least not in English language). Could someone clue me in?

It would be great if someone could write a little article about Graph2Fnt.

i guess the initial concept was as the name tells us "graph2font" to import a bitmap grafics and turn that into different fonts and optimise the font...

why? because bitmap on atari needs a lot of space and it turned out that when converting & optimising the fonts it takes less space, think on game logos f.e.

next idea is... on atari in bitmap mode you can just use 4 colours at all (without display list interrrupts)...in charmode you can use 5 colours... so you gain one more colour as benefit...

as the atari has one of the most flexible grafics hardware more and more features where added to the basic concept like DLIs for changing colours, changing colour registers on the fly etc etc...

BUT one of the main benefits is to use the player/missle grafics to enhance the picture with more colours etc... so...basicly that's all about g2f... ;)

just load up some g2f pictures and flip between PMG,Gfx and all on the mainscreen to see the "tricks" or press "show chars CTRL+H" in the options menu after converting the gfx into chars...

i hope you get a feeling for that... and thank god you have a PC tool with mouse support to draw quick & fast incredible pictures...

Well, G2F manual / tutorial is going to be released but I can't say when this would be done.

There are some English tips from the author and G2F's users on this forum so far... Try to find them using "Graph2fnt" term or similar.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I've been browsing this thread, and I don't understand how to use the program.

I tried to resize a bmp to 128x128 (and 128x240), reduce it to 256 colors and load it into g2f, but the picture never appears. Only some colors in some sort of palette at the bottom of the gui appears, with a preview button which doesn't do anything.

Could anyone explain how to get a bmp into the program?

Hi there,

I just look at G2F's site and found out what you can read in my subject. :)

Well, I maybe became too lazy to translate all G2F manual so far, so I think you will enjoy its another piece at least ;)

So, it about recently added feature: map editing in G2F.

This feature isn't finished yet - it lacks running assembled graphix on Atari as one file. Althoug you can play with this option, try to put together an image or maps for a game.

Main aim of map editor is to put together an image from many screens.

Every screen has width of 32, 40 or 48 bytes and height from 1 to 30 lines (1 line = 8 rasterlines).

EDIT MAPS option will be activated after loading .G2F or .BMP file.

ALT+M causes Grap2Fnt to open extra window, in which left side is reserved for preview of screens' layout. Right one allows to preview their contents.

Width and Height define max. width and height of edited map. Altering those values will change amount of fields (small squares) that represent screens. Asterisk (*) that is placed in that field means there is set up screen.

To get started:

create new directory and select it in G2F (choose NEW in FILE submenu)

All screens that the map consist of, will be saved in this directory.

To view a screen, just click on any field marked with '*'. Then chosen screen appears - it's centered and also you can see other adjoining ones.

INSERT SCREEN button allows to add screen to a field of X,Y coordinates.

REMOVE SCREEN kills screen from field of X, Y coordinates.

EDIT SCREEN button causes G2F to load selected screen from X,Y position into main window.

Well, that's all for now - looking forward to see you map(s) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Smart Colors" (Load BMP) option that is used to detect colour changes in each line
Wow! It works great!! Only small manual adjustments and editing needed after loading BMP.

GENIUS :)

and instructions in english for rasters and new maps feature

:) ;)

Heaven/TQA i am still not getting what the "smart colour" function is... is it just for importing or why is it possible to adjust the amount of colours and other stuff????
Hi Heaven! The smart colour function reads the colours per scanline on the original BMP and cleverly sets DLIs as close as possible to match the BMP source. I think it is just for importing, the smart colour adjust from 0>10 doesn't appear to do anything?

It's a very clever new feature, it worked well on the pic I tried it out on. All that is left to do is a small amount of manual tidying and some PM overlays.

Tezz

;)

yup...very clever...played around a little bit and imported some c64 BMPs and they looked very close...next step could be a 1st draft PM underlayout?

and one thing is a pain in the ass... why do i need a 160x200 BMP... when i am downloading BMPs from www.c64.com than they are 320x200 and i guess emulators will make these size as well... or can i handle 320x BMPs in g2f??? i can't select pixel ratio while importing?

Heaven and one thing is a pain in the ass... why do i need a 160x200 BMP
or can i handle 320x BMPs in g2f??? i can't select pixel ratio while importing
Yeah being able to load in the 2:1 pixel ratio BMP 320x240 is a feature I would like to have in G2F I always forget to "squash" in my BMP before importing !! :roll: Perhaps this could be added to G2F in the future

The smart colour slider from 1>10 does effect the calculated picture BTW. you need to select smart colours - change the value then de-tick and retick to recalculate..

Tezz :)

Hiya everybody interested,

Did u notice there is another G2F version available ?

This time the SMART COLORS feature is much more powerful.

A green selection of a cell with atari color means that this cell is to be processed at first (in left-to-right order). Values that are green-marked (from the left side so most common) should be different, i.e. 712,708,709,710,711.

Red color means that there wasn't possible to entirely convert this color from BMP file into atari color.

You can turn off color (grey cell one with atari color) by clicking on color squares. Also, you can turn on that one and remeber that color, that was turned off, is removed from color conversion process.

Numerical value that is close to "smart colors" 4 or 5 means

how many BMP colors should be converted into atari ones:

4 = 712,708,709,710

5 = 712,708,709,710,711

Well, it's just clear enough, right? ;)

As for including image scalling routine in G2F - in my opinion that would

make G2F unecessarily complex (for the author I think).

There is so many excellent gfx-converters in PC that make it fast

and good - XNVIEW or IRFAN VIEW to name a few. ;)

Note that's only my opinion - let we hear what'll TeBe decide....

P.S. Heaven, the E3 fair is over... Let me know if you come back to develop 4PAC, then I'll pull myself together (and draw what is expected to be).

Dracon Did u notice there is another G2F version available ? This time the SMART COLORS feature is much more powerful
:) That's great!!

Thanks for the detailed instructions on the improved smart colours, looks really good.

As for including image scalling routine in G2F - in my opinion that would make G2F unecessarily complex (for the author I think).
Fair enough
There is so many excellent gfx-converters in PC
Yes it's not essential to include this feature but, it would be nice if it were possible 8)