Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

code:

+-+-+-+ + +-+-+ + +-+-+ +-+-+

| | | | | | | |

+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +

+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ + + +-+ +-+-+-+

| | | | | | | | |

+-+ + + +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+ +-+-+-+

Yup, that's the code I meant too. But I had to change a palette entry to make it more readable. If you flip the map, you can (hardly, eg. E and C look identical) read it ("A CLUE...TRAIL") The word I still don't get, is the 1st in the 3rd row.

It's the hint that leads to the braille code question.

BTW: The META clue Ben fixed, is about the "crypt" I was talking about some pages before.

A new day....and a fresh look at all the clues...maybe i have been looking to hard at things and missing the obvious...we shall see.. I am convinced that the placement of the braille letters has alot to do with it.. just haven't gotten it yet.

Here is kinda a silly question??.. Has anyone used this current map on Pitfall! to see if there is anything that is on this map that is NOT in the game?? any inconsistancies.. like even when the map shows 3 holes to the bottom.. but the game has one?? just something i thought of..

Being that this is the 20th Anv of Pitfall.. I decided to look at the instructs that are up to see if there was anything there (only because I have hit a wall and in the opening Pharagraph that has introduced us all to pitfall states :"But, being a great explorer, you wouldn't think of starting such a difficult journey without reading this manual first - very carefully.")

nada..

I origionally tried to match up harry's map with another to find errors, but there were none, but i did not check on logs and such (as they were not on the other map i was using. I have seen that box code for some time but it makes no sence to me, It has to be there for a reason though. I think I will give my brain the weekend off then start up on monday again. I had dreams on this stuff last night! that is going to far!

quote:

Originally posted by smf_4ever:

Here is kinda a silly question??.. Has anyone used this current map on Pitfall! to see if there is anything that is on this map that is NOT in the game?? any inconsistancies.. like even when the map shows 3 holes to the bottom.. but the game has one?? just something i thought of..

I think the map is OK. The riddles are beyond the map, or with near the same color in the map. So if you don't now about the contest, you solve the game Pitfall great with this map.

Today I found the Braille text. But I can't read Braille.

How many riddles are in the map? I have found 9 I think.

Only in the map.

The most I don't understand or will try later. The Binary code is to complex for me in the moment.

I found more and more. I have now delete all what is for me no riddle, so I have a near a blank map with all the questions or riddles.

Don't waste your time going down that path, smf_ever.

When I created the Pitfall! map, game correctness was my overriding priority. I did not intentionally add, subtract or alter a single pixel in any of the jungle scenes which would compromise the reliability of the map to any Pitfall! player, no matter how fussy about details they may be.

Ben

I finally see what you mean about the Braille clue Thomas... I couldn't come up with any letters other than the obvious (I) at first. Very nice. Too bad it doesn't do me any good since I already have the Braille sentence. :-(

The morse code one isn't working out for me, and I've tried two different schemes -- one is too dot heavy, and the other is incomplete. I guess I'm missing something, but if there's another clue about it, we haven't found it yet?

Now that the meta tag is reinstated, I see the "crypt" clue, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Oh well, kind of at a wall again, but I think there is one more thing I need to try, maybe later today.

ok.. here is my reworking in progess on the braille clues.. if this helps or starts soemthing else.. ROCK!!!..

the closet I can rework things (reworking it as part of the poem clue in the tree)..

I will list what I have.. than extra letters..)

"What harry Sees to do Raj North Hunt (ereuo)"

"Does Harry Turn North To Show The Raj (ee)

"Where Does Harry Jr Short Notate (o)"

"Where Doesnt That Journey Start (hroho)"

again.. please share if this does anything for people.. I am hitting that wall again..

I found the box code...I can't believe I hadn't seen it earlier. I also noticed but this may have just been an after effect from the color replacing...but some of the boxes appear to have multiple palletes within them? In other words...I replaced the main color in them with another...and almost all the boxes change...

I know the treasure location squares are different colors...but even after changing all the map squares...some of them were still different colors slightly offset. Than't can't be accidental.

OMG!!!

They are Egyptian Cartouches!!!

The fun has only just begun!!!

I just tried to isolate both all red and all blue on the map, and lo and behold there are a series of dots and dashes. They look like a patern though not braille i think I am at home and not at work where i have a whole file on this and my braille desipher. try it and see what you come up with. at this point i just want to solve the riddles and forget the prize! I must know!!!! (by the way this was a hunvh from the resort poem about red and blue. may be nothing but who knows)

I could be wrong on the cartouches bit...but they sure look an awful lot like them. I will have to start doing some research. But I will hint to this...

Turning the map 90 degrees to the right does make some of the box code items look like egyptian cartouches. For those whom may not know...most cartouches were actually the names of the Pharaohs and other royal members when written in hieroglyphic.

They aren't exact...but look really close.

Ben...I have to ask...how long did it really take to put all of this together? Cause it will probably take up equally as long if not longer to sort and unravel all of this.

BTW...there can only be 3 actually riddles...because Ben states on the contest page that 3rd prize is awarded for one correctly answered riddle...and 2nd for 2 1st for all three...

So we are finding keys and answers to some of the riddles...but we haven't actually unraveled all the riddles themselves I fear.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

Ugh... *sigh*

I was the person who found the contest on my own (about 3 or 4 weeks ago), and I stayed up ALL NIGHT that night trying to figure it out. I got the Braille stuff and the inscrutible stuff in the border of the picture, but I couldn't get anywhere else with it. Now I am just finally looking at this thread and all hope is lost!

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

All right... I'll share it!

It is not KG, it is LOG.

"A log is a dot, a trio is not."

I am thinking it has to do with the number sequence... all of the numbers are under 256, so they could represent screens. But I made a chart of the number of logs in each screen in the sequence, and couldn't get anything out of that either!

I guess I've had a head start on everyone else, but so far we're all up to about the same point in figuring this out. I haven't gotten the boxes, but I hadn't tried ASCII. By the time I discovered them it was 4 AM and I had been working on it all night, so I was mired in trying to find some kind of Morse Code pattern in it.

I got the Braille but I can't figure out what it's supposed to mean. I tried rearranging the words AND anagramming it, and I'm still stuck.

Number sequence... found it, but haven't deciphered it.

Found the ring and the key above 82. Not sure what to do with that either.

ARRGH! I swore after that insane night I would not think about this any more but now I am obsessed all over again!!!

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]